PDA

View Full Version : The Shield vs. The Wire vs. 24 - Discuss

Blitz
09-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Well, I've watched season 1 of all 3 of these shows (been a loyal viewer of 24 since the beginning) but I recently went through the first few seasons of The Wire and The Shield....hard to say which one is the best...but I think I still have to go with Jack Bauer on this one.

For those that have watched all three shows...which one of these shows is the best?

Blitz
09-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I can understand the reasoning as to why 24 is included. If you would like to choose between The Shield and The Wire...go do so....because they are both cop shows

09-20-2006, 10:59 PM
24 is a class all its own.

Wa-Z
09-20-2006, 11:09 PM
I've watched the first season of 24...in a day...I like the Shield, but I don't think its better. Never watched the wire.

Demonpenz
09-20-2006, 11:19 PM
the shield is a chessy as hell and it is kind of a guilty pleasure. It's all just an excuse for vick to be a dirty cop and kick ass. Just as a plot is an excuse for jet li to kick ass or most lyrics for steve vai songs are an excuse for a 20 minute guitar solo

greg63
09-20-2006, 11:23 PM

Yep!

Psyko Tek
09-21-2006, 12:14 AM
loved first 2 seasons of 24, but half way through season 3 gave up
I didn't care what happened to Kimmi the girl hostage, or the world

The Shield kicks much ass

The Wire haven't seen, worth tryin ?

jwhit
09-21-2006, 03:29 AM
this is a great discusion...

every season of 24 feels the same to me....i can't watch anymore.

the shield is a terrific show but it's built different from the wire. every episode of the shield is edge-of-your-seat intense and fast paced.

the wire is like a great novel. the character development, plot development is unlike anything else on tv.

the wire nudges the shield. but the wire is playing right now. when the shield is playing i probably feel like it nudges the wire.

great debate.

BigRock
09-21-2006, 04:35 AM
every episode of the shield is edge-of-your-seat intense and fast paced.
To me, that's the way I'd describe 24. 24 plays it a lot looser in terms of plot and character than the other two, and you'll see shocking things happen and major characters turn out to be evil seemingly just for the swerve of it. But all of that leads to the fact that when they crank up the action, I don't think there's a better edge-of-the-seat show.

The Shield is a great mix of plot and action, and I thought last year with Forrest Whitaker they jumped past everything else on TV. I can't wait for the next season to start.

The Wire being like a novel is a great comparision. It wasn't until Monday morning that I realized Sunday's episode never featured McNulty, my favorite character, because I'm already so engrossed in what's going on.

I can't rank the 3, I think they're all different entities. They all give you something special that you can't get anywhere else, all in their own way.

One thing they do have in common, at least to me, is that they've all provided those gut-kick moments where you're left totally speechless for a while after the show ends. That might be another interesting topic, like what character's fate impacted you the most as you watched it unfold: Jack's wife, Lem, or Stringer Bell. Personally, I'd say Lem, but they're all neck and neck. Tomorrow I'd probably say Stringer.

Brock
09-21-2006, 07:07 AM
The wire is a very complicated show.....You must pay very close attention at all times. the other two, not so much.

philj22
09-21-2006, 07:34 AM
The Wire is the better to me because it's more realistic. The Shield is very realistic too. 24 is a very very good show but it is not too realistic that all that s**t would happen within 24hrs. I do love the show though. But The Wire is my show!

Fat Elvis
09-21-2006, 07:37 AM

Yeah, watered down generic prime time tv....

The Wire kicks butt.

Basileus777
09-21-2006, 07:40 AM
The Wire is the best show on TV. 24 is good, but I haven't liked the more recent season as much. I haven't seen much of the Shield so I can't really judge it.

Lzen
09-21-2006, 07:55 AM
I've never seen The Wire. What network plays it? I stopped watching 24 after the first couple seasons. It seemed to become too repetitive. It was uber cool when it first came out. But after awhile, all the novelty wore off and the show's plot and characters alone couldn't hold my interest.

The Shield is still one of the best shows on TV, IMO.

Brock
09-21-2006, 08:01 AM
I've never seen The Wire. What network plays it?

hbo - I'd recommend catching up on the earlier seasons before you attempt to pick it up though.

Lzen
09-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Eh, I don't have HBO and don't really see a need to pay for it.

Baby Lee
09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Eh, I don't have HBO and don't really see a need to pay for it.
Do you own a DVD player? ;)

On the issue at hand. The comparison reminds me of an old standup bit, The Wire and 24 have something in common, they both make me feel stupid. The Wire because the storylines are so subtle and complex, 24 because, . . . I'm watching it.

JBucc
09-21-2006, 09:35 AM
24 needs to change things up for next season, which I think they will do with the whole China thing. I've never seen The Wire and only a little of The Shield.

greg63
09-21-2006, 09:41 AM
loved first 2 seasons of 24, but half way through season 3 gave up
I didn't care what happened to Kimmi the girl hostage, or the world

The Shield kicks much ass

The Wire haven't seen, worth tryin ?

BLASPHEMY!!!

CupidStunt
09-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Word.

The other two put together aren't shit in comparison.

jwhit
09-21-2006, 10:40 AM
wow. i didn't know this many people knew about the greatness of the wire. season 4 promises to be the most important tv we've seen in a long time. i just watched episode 3 on demand. outfreakingstanding!

wire
shield

WilliamTheIrish
09-21-2006, 10:43 AM
The Wire. Hands down.

Baby Lee
09-21-2006, 10:52 AM
The Wire and 24 have something in common, they both make me feel stupid. The Wire because the storylines are so subtle and complex, 24 because, . . . I'm watching it.
I should make clear, I do indeed watch every ep of 24, but I must admit I do on occasion perk up in the middle of an episode [especially if there are EFFING COUGARS on screen] and ask 'I'm watching this, how stupid am I?'