PDA

View Full Version : KC Star - Chiefs are a hit on D

Hammock Parties
09-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Team has been making tackles and moving up in the NFL rankings under Cunningham.

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

Gunther Cunningham’s voice is gravelly and tired. He sips out of a steamy paper cup and checks the time. The days start at 5 a.m. now, and the younger defensive coaches have a foolish pact to come an hour earlier and work out together.

It’s past lunchtime — they eat during meetings — and if Cunningham talks much longer, they’ll all be giving him a hard time. This may be the Chiefs’ bye week, but for the new defensive staff, there is no time to sit, let alone reflect.

“When you haven’t been very good and you do anything positive, that’s easy,” Cunningham says. “But when you want to be really good and go for the moon, the pressure is on.”

Lost in an 0-2 start and the controversy of Trent Green’s head-snapping hit is the fact that Kansas City is quietly, finally, turning around its defense. Cunningham won’t really talk about it, the fact that the Chiefs have moved into the top 10 in total defense after being a punchline in the league for much of the past five years.

He definitely won’t say the defense is back. But look closely and you can see the glimmer of a smile, the one he used to get on Sunday nights almost a decade ago.

“When I was here in the past,” Cunningham says, “one of the things I took pride in every Sunday was watching ESPN. They talked about the Chiefs’ defense and they said, ‘They tackle. They don’t miss tackles.’ I think to be a championship defense, you’ve got to make ’em.

“Because everybody can move the ball. Everybody has a running game and a passing game, but not everybody tackles.”

Cunningham, who doesn’t talk to reporters much during the season, said Wednesday that the defense has “a long way to go” before the rebuilding project is complete. But Sunday’s 9-6 overtime loss at Denver, coach Herm Edwards says, was a big step.

The Chiefs became the first team in 45 years to hold the Broncos scoreless at home in the first half, and rendered quarterback Jake Plummer ineffective. They’ve averaged just four missed tackles per game, which is dramatic for a team that swatted at air in New York 10 months ago trying to corral Tiki Barber.

In 2004, at least one of their linebackers averaged six missed tackles per game alone.

“That’s why none of those linebackers are here (anymore),” Cunningham says. “They couldn’t tackle.”

There is a peace about Cunningham now, one that comes with the hiring of a defensive-minded head coach and the freedom to finally pick his own defensive staff. They’re symbiotic. During training camp, outsiders gawked at the sight of defensive-line coach Tim Krumrie, covered in sweat from head to toe, flailing his arms like a madman. But that’s the new defense. Offensive coaches are cerebral, Edwards says. Defensive coaches are quirky passionate.

Edwards recalled Wednesday a meeting he had with Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson last winter, the one where Peterson asked who he’d put on his staff.

“I said, ‘I’m keeping Gun. Gun needs to be on this staff,’ ” Edwards said. “We’ve got the same philosophy. He’s a good teacher. He’s good with the players. He’s a matter-of-fact guy, and he coaches them all. He doesn’t pull a punch. He coaches a star like he coaches a free agent. I mean, you’ve got to be able to do that.”

Edwards says the staff reminds him of the group he worked with in Tampa Bay, a braintrust that included Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin and was credited with recycling the Cover 2.

The most obvious improvement through two games is the pass defense, which ranked 30th last year. The Chiefs started the season by holding Carson Palmer to 127 yards, and have yet to give up a touchdown pass.

Cornerback Patrick Surtain says he’s ready for the team to lean on the defense after years of riding the league’s top offense.

“Each team takes on the mentality of its head coach,” Surtain says. “I’m not saying our offense still isn’t a great offense. We’re just getting back to playing defense. As you all know, defense wins championships.”

Though week two produced some big quarterback numbers, Edwards points to games like Monday night’s shutout of the Steelers in Jacksonville and the Mile High mudfight as the way the league is moving.

And Cunningham loves it.

“It’s important that we come in here and play well,” he says. “I think it’s important for our fans. The history of this stadium is that when the defense takes the field, they get pretty salty, you know? I would like to play here, in the future, like we played at Denver.

“I think people need to see us close and personal hitting people and tackling. I think it’s really important for our players and our fans to see progress on defense. And hopefully, they’ll get it.”

Hammock Parties
09-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Scott Fujita? Monty Beisel? Shawn Barber? Considering how bad Kawika was early that year, maybe even him.

beer bacon
09-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Good thing we have real tough sob linebackers like Rich Scanlon now.

HemiEd
09-21-2006, 05:31 AM
I look forward to seeing this defense score, it sure seems like it has been a long time.

Inspector
09-21-2006, 06:57 AM
That was a good article to read.

Nothing better than a great D dominating whoever they face.

It's also nice to not get that sinking feeling everytime the defense steps on the field. Remember when you could feel a lead slip away every time the defense was on - before the drive would even begin? Those days may be behind us for awhile.

Brock
09-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Remember when you could feel a lead slip away every time the defense was on - before the drive would even begin? Those days may be behind us for awhile.

Sunday wasn't that long ago.

Chiefnj
09-21-2006, 07:07 AM
San Fran might be the first real 60 minutes of offense that the Chiefs face so far this year.

I think most people are in agreement that Cincy laid off a bit in the 2nd half of the game. After Plummer's horrid week one performance, Shanahan pulled in the reigns on him so he wouldn't throw multiple picks at home and add gasoline to the brewing QB controversy. It'll be good to see the Chiefs play an offense that isn't holding back and has nothing to lose for a full 4 quarters.

Inspector
09-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Sunday wasn't that long ago.

Time loses all meaning here in the pen.

Just counting down the days til the parole hearing. Wish me luck.

bringbackmarty
09-21-2006, 08:00 AM
musta been bieel.

Easy 6
09-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Kudos to Elizabeth, that was a good read. Its good to see a lil' imagination, so many of the KC media seem to whip out the most boring crap they can muster. Makes me eagerly anticipate the Forty-Whiners.

FringeNC
09-21-2006, 09:17 AM
I wasn't really impressed against Cinci. I thought they went into a shell after they got the lead.

The Denver game was the best I have seen the Chiefs' D play in years. Denver was behind most of the game, and still couldn't move the ball.

They got a little tired at the end in the high altitude combined with the fact that we couldn't get a first down late.

Anyong Bluth
09-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Its sort of a chicken and egg argument.

If the D wasn't doing something right, wouldn't they have been able to move the ball at least a bit more effectively? I'd say its a split. Denver was aware that the Chiefs D isn't as soft as it has been, and in turn, the Chiefs D is able to do somethings and new looks that Denver decided to not chance it as much.

After the bootleg got squashed, that really took a lot of bread and butter out of their misdirection and hurt the passing game quite a bit.

I still agree that the D hasn't been completely tested, but don't fu*kin' kid yourselves- THEY WALKED OUT OF DENVER GIVING UP 9 POINTS. Not one person on this board would have taken that bet no matter the odds I gave them!

DJ_is_the_realdeal
09-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I think the D is alot better and we are younger. The additions of Ty Law was great. Tamba is going to be a player and the DTs are so so. The Denver game proved to me that they are improving and its only game two so just think how good they are going to be half way through the season. I think alof of it is a trust issue with the D. One they realize that the scheme is working and two they believe that all eleven players are going to be in the RIGHTposition. Gunther has done a great job so far.

Halfcan
09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
But now our Offense sucks-we just can't win.

TEX
09-21-2006, 01:21 PM
But now our Offense sucks-we just can't win.

Yep. And when we absolutely had to have a stop, having pinned the Cheating Donx back in overtime, we didn't get it. As a matter of fact, they marched right down the field and scored, much the same way teams have done for the past 5 years.

Calcountry
09-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Yep. And when we absolutely had to have a stop, having pinned the Cheating Donx back in overtime, we didn't get it. As a matter of fact, they marched right down the field and scored, much the same way teams have done for the past 5 years.I would also like to contrast this, to our 2 minute drill, if you could call it that. If we get a field goal at the end of the game, there is no overtime. But we had to punt and hope for a coin toss in overtime.

We can't lean on the offense to produce at the end of halves anymore, that is just too risky.

TEX
09-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I would also like to contrast this, to our 2 minute drill, if you could call it that. If we get a field goal at the end of the game, there is no overtime. But we had to punt and hope for a coin toss in overtime.

We can't lean on the offense to produce at the end of halves anymore, that is just too risky.

Yep. We got our shot but we didn't take it.

JohnnyV13
09-22-2006, 02:07 PM

It's also nice to not get that sinking feeling everytime the defense steps on the field. Remember when you could feel a lead slip away every time the defense was on - before the drive would even begin? Those days may be behind us for awhile.

Yes. Now we get that sinking feeling when we have to pass.