PDA

View Full Version : Scheming against the pass rush

FringeNC
09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
The Chiefs' offense needs to make additional adjustments to counter the lack of pass protection -- not just short routes.

When Trent gets back, I'd like to see no-huddle from us to limit substitutions on defense. Trent is a coach on the field -- give him more authority. Also, I'd like to see more screens and delayed draws out of the shotgun. That empty backfield set is not a good formation for the Chiefs to run. With poor pass protection and one of the best backs in the game, we desperately need the threat of the draw play on obvious passing situations.

My two cents worth...

JBucc
09-21-2006, 09:33 AM
I don't think Herm will allow us to run a no-huddle during the game, doesn't eat up enough clock.

Easy 6
09-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Trent should absolutely have carte blanche to audible out of plays at the LOS ie.) more authority FringeNC, good call.

Radar Chief
09-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Absolutely agree with the “no empty backfield” thing. Particularly when that’s coupled with a 9-12 step drop, it’s just try’n to get our QB killed.

Fish
09-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't think Herm will allow us to run a no-huddle during the game, doesn't eat up enough clock.

My thoughts as well.... No way Herm is going to get in a hurry with our offense on the field....

kepp
09-21-2006, 09:50 AM
No-huddle doesn't necessarily mean not using all the play clock. Get to the line, get the play call and go. Just freeze the defense. What are the rules on defensive substitutions? Can subs happen after the offense has broken the huddle or after the offense is set on the line?

Warrior5
09-21-2006, 10:05 AM
...I'd like to see no-huddle from us to limit substitutions on defense. Trent is a coach on the field -- give him more authority. Also, I'd like to see more screens and delayed draws out of the shotgun. That empty backfield set is not a good formation for the Chiefs to run. With poor pass protection and one of the best backs in the game, we desperately need the threat of the draw play on obvious passing situations...

Good discussion topic Fringe...with/without Trent, Solari has to mitigate our weakness at tackle. I could see some no huddle depending on field position. Empty backfield has to go; might as well put up a neon "blitz now" sign. Chiefs have always made $ on draws and play action; these should be a priority during the extra week of practice.

Coogs
09-21-2006, 10:06 AM
No-huddle doesn't necessarily mean not using all the play clock. Get to the line, get the play call and go. Just freeze the defense. What are the rules on defensive substitutions? Can subs happen after the offense has broken the huddle or after the offense is set on the line?

I think the defense can sub at any time. IIRC, Manning just killed us with "too many men on the field" penalties when we tried to run subs in and out against the Colts. just snapped the ball while we had about 13 to 15 players on the field for a free 5 yards.

Sully
09-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Who uses a 9-12 step drop?

Radar Chief
09-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Who uses a 9-12 step drop?

9 to 12 steps. Does that help? If not, the answer is the majority of offenses in the NFL.

Anyong Bluth
09-21-2006, 10:14 AM
yep, You can run no huddle and adjust at the line and run the clock all you want. The D can sub any time they want but if you have the offense set then they can just snap the ball and get the D for a penalty. It really does limit the subs you can do and trent is more than capable of making play calls from time to time and still burning clock

Sully
09-21-2006, 10:16 AM
9 to 12 steps. Does that help? If not, the answer is the majority of offenses in the NFL.

I understood what you meant.
Other than a screen pass, I've never seen a 9-12 step drop, unless a reciever wasn't open.
Nobody designs plays with a 9-12 step drop for the QB.

NJ Chief Fan
09-21-2006, 10:34 AM
trent green isnt just a f'n warrior hes a general, he knows this offense front wards and backwards, this man should have all the trust in the world coming from herm

GET BETTER GENERAL GREEN