PDA

View Full Version : College games to watch on Saturday for future Chiefs.

Coogs
09-21-2006, 11:37 AM
The Wisconsin game could be interesting. It features 3 of the top O-linemen in the nation in Thomas from Wisconsin, and Long and Riley from Michigan. The WR from GT, Johnson, is real fun to watch too.

From GBN...

September 21-23

To QB or not to QB or three… With nothing in the way ‘must-see’ games in college football this weekend after a couple of weeks of great feature match-ups, draft watchers will get a chance to focus some of the top individual prospects for the 2007 draft. Indeed, the top two senior QBs in the 2007 draft class will go head-to-head when Brady Quinn (#10, 6-4, 235) and Notre Dame take on Drew Stanton (#5, 6-3, 230) and Michigan State in East Lansing on Saturday night (8 PM ET; ABC). The Irish’s Quinn, who entered the season as the consensus favorite to be the first player taken at this year’s draft, will be looking for a bounce-back outing after last week’s disappointing loss to Michigan in which Quinn struggled big-time; in fact, it was the second of three games to date this fall in which Quinn has looked rather ordinary. For his part, the athletic Stanton will be looking to take advantage of the national exposure to stake a claim to being this year’s Jay Cutler. Other Spartans to watch include WRs Matt Trannon (#6, 6-6, 225), a converted basketball start with plenty of physical potential but somewhat inconsistent production to date, and Jerramy Scott (#32, 5-10, 185), OG Kyle Cook (#74, 6-3, 305), DE Clifton Ryan (#92, 6-2, 305), OLB David Herron (#41, 6-0, 255), CB Greg Cooper (#29, 5-10, 195), and P Brandon Fields (#8, 6-6, 232) who has the leg strength to be the first kicker off the board this coming April.

Pro scouts will have a chance to compare #s 1 and 2 with #3 as Ohio State’s Troy Smith (#10, 6-1, 215) will be trying harder when the Buckeyes host Penn State in a 3:30 start earlier Saturday afternoon. And continuing the comeback theme, Penn State LB Paul Poluszny will be looking for a more productive day than he had a couple of weeks ago when the Nittany Lions were steamrolled by Notre Dame. More to the point, Poluszny, a potential top ten prospect if he is healthy, will be out to show that he is fully fit after undergoing off-season surgery to repair a knee injured in Penn State’s bowl win last January. Same story for Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas (#72, 6-7, 310) who will be tested when his Badgers visit Michigan early Saturday afternoon (Noon ET; ESPN). The athletic LT had appeared to be on the way to a top 10 selection at the 2006 draft, but like PSU’s Poluszny had to alter course when he hurt a knee at the team’s bowl game. And there will be a yet another top 10 prospect on display later this evening when Georgia Tech hosts Virginia in an ACC game at 7:30 PM on ESPN. The Yellow Jackets are led by star junior WR Calvin Johnson (#21, 6-4, 235), who will be one of the top 1-2 receivers of the board this coming April.

Chiefnj
09-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Since the Chiefs will probably be looking at the OL in the draft I'm going to throw out a name - Ryan Harris. He's the LT for Notre Dame. He did a very good job against a good Michigan front 4 last week. (At least in the first half that I watched).

Quinn looked absolutely horrible.

SCTrojan
09-21-2006, 12:00 PM
It seems like Wisconsin produces more than its fair share of offensive linemen who are solid NFL prospects.

ck_IN
09-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Considering our history with Olinemen from Michigan do we care to travel that road again?

Coogs
09-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Here is another bit from GBN on OT's...

Overview: If at first you don't succeed... !! The 2006 draft was supposed to be the year of the OT, however, it never worked out that way despite the fact that former Virginia star D'Brickashaw Ferguson went fourth overall to the Jets. While the offensive line may have to play second fiddle to the WRs this year, it looks like the 2007 draft could be that very special year, particularly at OT. Wisconsin LT Joe Thomas, for example, likely would have given Ferguson a run for his money to be the first OT off the board this past April if he hadn't hurt a knee during the Badgers' bowl game. The 6-8 Thomas, though, is a mountain of a man with excellent feet who should figure in the top 5 picks this coming April, if the knee checks out. And speaking of mountains, both 6-7, 320-pound Michigan junior Jake Long and 6-4, 330-pound Justin Blalock both should figure in the middle of this year's opening round, while USC junior Sam Baker, Levi Brown of Penn State, athletic Doug Free of Northern Illinois and Arron Sears of Tennessee will get long looks later in the opening round if not sooner. NIU's Free, in particular, is a converted TE with the athleticism to rocket up draft boards across the NFL this coming off-season.

There should be plenty of depth at OT this year with players like Ryan Harris of Notre Dame, Andrew Carnahan of Arizona State, Joe Ainslie of Minnesota, and Jake Kuresa of BYU leading a deep second-tier group of OTs. Meanwhile, juniors Barry Richardson of Clemson, Mike McGlynn of Pittsburgh, John Greco of Toledo, and Kirk Barton of Ohio State would add some additional depth if they entered the upcoming draft. None of these juniors, though, will likely rate as a potential first-round prosepct; indeed, while 2007 appears to be loaded at OT, the 2008 draft looks like it could be thin at the position so teams may want to stock up this year.

Chiefnj
09-21-2006, 12:25 PM
The 2006 OT crop looked great on paper until the Senior Bowl when everyone's stock plummeted and never recovered. San Diego seems to have hit the 2nd round jackpot with McNeil - he probably should have remained a 1st rounder. It'll be interesting to see of the 2007 class stays as strong as it is now, or if it suffers the same fate as the '06 group.

SCTrojan
09-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Sam Baker from USC has said previously that he won't come out early. We'll see how that plays out - he tweaked his knee in practice this week

CupidStunt
09-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Watch this game.

But keep your eye on Alan Branch, DT, Michigan.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Iowa St vs Texas - check out Justin Blalock, OT from Texas.

NJ Chief Fan
09-21-2006, 04:26 PM
the few mocks that ive seen have us drafting ted ginn jr

HolmeZz
09-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I <3 Calvin Johnson.

Coogs
09-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I watched a bit of the GT/Virginia game last night. Calvin Johnson is awesome. Caught 6 passes for a buck sixty-five and 2 TD's. All this while having a sore leg that nearly kept him from playing. He is like 6-5, 240 or so, and runs a 4.35 forty.

I hope we are not picking high enough in the draft to get this guy (if he comes out), but if we are and he is on the board..... damn. Get the O-linemen in the 2nd and 3rd round.

CupidStunt
09-22-2006, 10:13 AM
He might be the best WR prospect ever.

High praise, certainly, but there are only few who compare to his athletic ability.

Reggie Ball has REALLY held him back.

ck_IN
09-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah can you imagine CJ playing for USC or Texas?

They'd have to toss out the record book.

HolmeZz
09-22-2006, 10:23 AM
I watched a bit of the GT/Virginia game last night. Calvin Johnson is awesome. Caught 6 passes for a buck sixty-five and 2 TD's. All this while having a sore leg that nearly kept him from playing. He is like 6-5, 240 or so, and runs a 4.35 forty.

I don't think he's that fast. Probably more of a mid 4.4 legitimately if I had to guess.

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Joe Thomas OT is the guy I'm looking at

ChiefsCountry
09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
While a stud WR would be nice, we have found out a great OL can make marginal receivers look good. Lets get the line rebuilt first, I dont want Brodie killed.

JBucc
09-22-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't think he's that fast. Probably more of a mid 4.4 legitimately if I had to guess.That also said he has a 45 inch vertical. I'd love to have him, if we have the chance to nab him I'd go for it even if there's a good OT available.

NJ Chief Fan
09-22-2006, 11:52 AM
first pick OT or DT which ever has the best prospect available second pick if depends on what we drafted in the first and thrid pick we go WR, are there any stud WR, DT, or OT that are going to be available in free agency?

also what does everyone one think about the future of our MLB, this is Kawika's contract year, do we resign him or do we have hope that boomer is our future at MLB, i guess only time will tell and how well Kawika performs the rest of the way

Coogs
09-22-2006, 11:58 AM
While a stud WR would be nice, we have found out a great OL can make marginal receivers look good. Lets get the line rebuilt first, I dont want Brodie killed.

I agree on the line needing work for the future. And again, I hope we are not picking high enough to even entertain the thought of drafting CJ. But if we are drafting that high.....

LJ in the 1st, DJ in the 1st, and CJ in the 1st. :toast:

Basileus777
09-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah can you imagine CJ playing for USC or Texas?

They'd have to toss out the record book.

If he had a halfway competent qb (ie not Reggie Ball), he would be unstoppable.

Coogs
09-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Bumping back up. The one GBN report I posted earlier in this thread, said Thomas was on the same level as Fergeson from Virginia last season. I'm interested to see the guy play.

As of right now, it is going to take something special to move Calvin Johnson out of the #1 spot on my wish list.

CupidStunt
09-23-2006, 11:35 AM
And again, I hope we are not picking high enough to even entertain the thought of drafting CJ. But if we are drafting that high.....

I will wait and see with regards to this.

If we're below .500 in 4 to 5 weeks time, i'd sooner see us lose every game (bar the Raiders) than win one, lose one for the rest of the year, landing us just a middle-of-the-pack draft pick.

Alan Branch is kicking ass, btw.