PDA

View Full Version : they're back

Wile_E_Coyote
09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
fall is my favorite time of year. It's also the time the mother****ing crickets find their way into the house. They have to be getting in under the garage door.

You hear the little bastards chirping & try to narrow down where they are. But the sound is deceptive as to where they are & they hear you coming and stop the nerve racking noise

that is all

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~nhi708/classify/animalia/uniramia/pterygota/cricket.wav

Robo-Chachi
09-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Ha.

Yeah, last night I had to stop watching Jericho to hunt down a cricket in my living room. I found him and the little bastard got away.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Crickets normally live in the little nooks and crannys around the floor or baseboard . Just fill your house with about a foot of water and they will be taken care of.

JBucc
09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
If you were funny this wouldn't be a problem

mac58
09-21-2006, 01:25 PM
lol. .. i have teh same problem. . .im walking around my house with a shoe on my hand trying to find those bastards, , ,

Demonpenz
09-21-2006, 01:27 PM
i bet it really bugs you

luv
09-21-2006, 01:30 PM
I killed a really huge cricket at work the other day. I hate bugs, so even getting close enough to it to be able to smoosh him was an accomplishment.

Bwana
09-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Put out a bowl of antifreeze.

Iowanian
09-21-2006, 01:35 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I went around my foundation, basement windows, doorjams and all utility entry points with some nuclear spider-bug spray. I then went around the top of the foundation from the basement, then then in the corners, vents, doors, window sils....and placed about 6 hedgeballs throughout the house.

No problems.

Fish
09-21-2006, 02:10 PM
....and placed about 6 hedgeballs throughout the house.

No problems.

hedgeballs? I've always heard them referred to as hedgeapples... Of course they aren't apples, but I thought that was the ***official*** term.

DMAC
09-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Back in the 80's things were much simpler, before they made you have to have a license to purchase chemicals..deadly chemicals.

09-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I still have some chloradine left over from years gone by..I put some of that around the foundation and never have a problem with any insects

DMAC
09-21-2006, 02:19 PM
I still have some chloradine left over from years gone by..I put some of that around the foundation and never have a problem with any insectsOh yeah, that's the stuff right there.

That stuff will keep them away for years.

09-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah, that's the stuff right there.

That stuff will keep them away for years.
it has like a 60 year residule..now that stuff really killed termites

Iowanian
09-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Hedge balls, Hedge Apples, Osage Oranges....all the same thing. I suppose the names are regional.

I know that whatever they're called, bugs don't like them, they make your hands sticky when you pick them, squirrels eat them and they explode if you shoot them with your bow with a thumper tip.

carter08
09-21-2006, 02:30 PM
let the crickets be. they have families too, just like yiou and i

Fish
09-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I still have some chloradine left over from years gone by..I put some of that around the foundation and never have a problem with any insects

....or any other living organism... and these tentacles I've grown out my ass are great for swinging from the trees....

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/t/toxaven.jpg

mlyonsd
09-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Call your local feed store and ask if they sell the pesticide Tempo.

It comes in little packets you put in a 3 gallon hand sprayer. A farmer told me about it years ago and that crap really works.

DMAC
09-21-2006, 02:32 PM
let the crickets be. they have families too, just like yiou and iBut they scratch their legs together. Do you and your family do that?

09-21-2006, 02:36 PM
....or any other living organism... and these tentacles I've grown out my ass are great for swinging from the trees....

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/t/toxaven.jpg

nice!!!

:)

kcfan88
09-21-2006, 02:42 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I went around my foundation, basement windows, doorjams and all utility entry points with some nuclear spider-bug spray. I then went around the top of the foundation from the basement, then then in the corners, vents, doors, window sils....and placed about 6 hedgeballs throughout the house.

No problems.

Ok,...I'll ask. What do the hedgeballs do?

FAX
09-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Ass tentacles must be awesome to have, Mr. KC Fish. With such an ass feature, one could skateboard fully secure in the knowledge that your ass tentacles would protect you in the event of an unfortunate fall.

As for the crickets, would some sort of cricket call work to draw them out of hiding, Mr. Wile_E_Coyote?

If so, you could lay on the floor in some form of cricket disguise, use your cricket call, and when they emerge seeking the affection crickets long for, you can hammer them flat with a shoe ... or perhaps a handy ass tentacle if you're lucky enough to have one.

FAX

Fish
09-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Ass tentacles must be awesome to have, Mr. KC Fish. With such an ass feature, one could skateboard fully secure in the knowledge that your ass tentacles would protect you in the event of an unfortunate fall.

As for the crickets, would some sort of cricket call work to draw them out of hiding, Mr. Wile_E_Coyote?

If so, you could lay on the floor in some form of cricket disguise, use your cricket call, and when they emerge seeking the affection crickets long for, you can hammer them flat with a shoe ... or perhaps a handy ass tentacle if you're lucky enough to have one.

FAX

Mr. FAX..... good to see you back buddy.....

Iowanian
09-21-2006, 02:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage-orange

FAX
09-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Mr. FAX..... good to see you back buddy.....

Thank you, Mr. KC Fish. I know we're all in somewhat of a bad way due to the way the season started, the loss of Trent, the unbelievable dropoff in the OL, the cricket infestations, and so on. Yet, I hope you're doing well otherwise.

I've only had time to read the board a little over the past couple of months and I've looked forward to getting back.

By the way, if there is such a thing as "mega props", I'd like to offer some of those to the person responsible for posting the live tv broadcast of the Chiefs games for the geographically impaired. I was able to watch the goat game last Sunday via the Planet and I would not have been able to do so otherwise. Is that Mr. DaFace?

FAX

FAX
09-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Ok,...I'll ask. What do the hedgeballs do?

Crickets love hedgeballs, Mr. kcfan88. It's well known wood lore.

Just as a vampire is compelled to unravel knots, so it is with crickets and hedgeballs. When presented with a hedgeball, a cricket is obliged to attempt to ride it like a circus dog.

It keeps them busy for days and prevents them from chirping. That's because everybody knows you can't play with your balls and keep your legs together.

FAX

sedated
09-21-2006, 03:38 PM
But they scratch their legs together. Do you and your family do that?

only when the crabs start to itch

runnercyclist
09-21-2006, 03:54 PM
We ain't got no crikets in PA.

Actaully it is the mos amazing thing. The only bugs we have in PA are lady bugs??/!!??

Must be all the moving water?/?

No skeeters, no flies, no crickets ...

09-21-2006, 04:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage-orange
wow..I'm from the east coast..and I am a landscaper..I have seen that tree/brain fruit in only one spot in the entire state..and had no idea what the hell it was..it was growing wild in the woods..

thanks Iowanian!!!!

very enlightening!!!

ChiefsFire
09-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Crickets love hedgeballs, Mr. kcfan88. It's well known wood lore.

Just as a vampire is compelled to unravel knots, so it is with crickets and hedgeballs. When presented with a hedgeball, a cricket is obliged to attempt to ride it like a circus dog.

It keeps them busy for days and prevents them from chirping. That's because everybody knows you can't play with your balls and keep your legs together.

FAX
partially true...they climb onto the "hedgeball" and as their weight shifts,the ball rolls and crushes them......

Calcountry
09-21-2006, 06:06 PM
fall is my favorite time of year. It's also the time the mother****ing crickets find their way into the house. They have to be getting in under the garage door.

You hear the little bastards chirping & try to narrow down where they are. But the sound is deceptive as to where they are & they hear you coming and stop the nerve racking noise

that is all

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~nhi708/classify/animalia/uniramia/pterygota/cricket.wavROFLROFL

On Tuesday night, I was at the A's game against the Indians in the Coliseum.

The drummers were drumming, and I swear the Crickets had caught on to their beat. They would pause at the same moments that the drummers would pause, and were chirping for the same amount of beats as them as well.

dtebbe
09-21-2006, 06:20 PM
I used to have that problem at my office. The exterminator came and put some powdery stuff ouside my roll-up doors (4 of them), now I just find dead ones about 6" from the door. The rest of them get stuck on the sticky traps the exterminator put by the door. It's amazing what $75/quarter will get you. The only bugs I have are dead ones, usually within 2 feet of a door.

DT

Iowanian
09-21-2006, 07:13 PM
The southern half of Iowa has hedge trees everywhere. Usually on farm fence rows on the north, and sometimes in timbers....and along road ditches. They're everywhere. Its a very hard wood, that is resistant to rotting, so we cut them and make fence posts out of the trees.

When Bow hunting, you'll hear the thumps in the timber from these things dropping out of the trees...and occasionally, I'll shoot one to test my sites and aim before getting down to leave.

I don't know if they work on bugs and spiders, but alot of people are
convinced, and between the spraying and hedgeballs in our home(we do put a little foil under them) I don't notice as many spiders.

My brother was going to pick a horde of them and try to sell them in bulk for $1 each, as they're going for $2 in northern Iowa.

If I were ever to lose my job or get into a financial pickle..this is one of the rabbits in my hat to turn cash in the fall.

wow..I'm from the east coast..and I am a landscaper..I have seen that tree/brain fruit in only one spot in the entire state..and had no idea what the hell it was..it was growing wild in the woods..

thanks Iowanian!!!!

very enlightening!!!