PDA

View Full Version : IMO - HD on DTV not worth the money

Logical
09-21-2006, 07:38 PM
I know it is only 10 bucks a month but the limited channels, lack of major networks and the way one weekend the NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels show up and the on another they just arbitrarily don't make it not worth the money. Frankly other than on the Discovery Channel I can barely see a significant quality difference anyway, yea, yea you can see individual blades of grass on the football field with HD but tell me is that really enhanceing your football game day experience by $120 worth? For me the answer is no. In the end it was a lot of hoopla for not enough return.

Phobia
09-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Dude, Suzi Kolber had sex with me in HD. Of course it's worth the money.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2006, 07:47 PM
I know it is only 10 bucks a month but the limited channels, lack of major networks and the way one weekend the NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels show up and the on another they just arbitrarily don't make it not worth the money. Frankly other than on the Discovery Channel I can barely see a significant quality difference anyway, yea, yea you can see individual blades of grass on the football field with HD but tell me is that really enhanceing your football game day experience by $120 worth? For me the answer is no. In the end it was a lot of hoopla for not enough return.

Gotta disagree with you here--the HD sunday ticket channels make a huge difference for the enjoyment of the game to me. Furthermore, they were free for me this year since I got the Superfan package last year.The sound and clarity is much, much better. ESPN, The deuce, TNT and HBO are all great channels to have in HD. TNT is a very underrated channel, IMO. It's nice to see the NBA Playoffs, British Open/PGA in high def on TNT. They should offer more channels for the 10 bucks, but every provider f*cks you up the ass with HD content. To single out one over the other is a little presumptuous.

bishop_74
09-21-2006, 07:48 PM
TWC is the same way. And they compress the $hit out of the signal so if there is fast movement, it pexelizes. It's worth having an HDTV for XBOX360 gaming though. :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
When I moved to KC in Jan of 2005 I almost killed the TWC installer. He tells me that their box will work with my Series 2 Tivo, only for me to find out that they lock it out so you can use their proprietary piece of shit DVR. I almost went Marcus Spears on that sonofabitch.

Logical
09-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Gotta disagree with you here--the HD sunday ticket channels make a huge difference for the enjoyment of the game to me. Furthermore, they were free for me this year since I got the Superfan package last year.The sound and clarity is much, much better. ESPN, The deuce, TNT and HBO are all great channels to have in HD. TNT is a very underrated channel, IMO. It's nice to see the NBA Playoffs, British Open/PGA in high def on TNT. They should offer more channels for the 10 bucks, but every provider f*cks you up the ass with HD content. To single out one over the other is a little presumptuous.

I single them out because you don't get the major networks and the Sunday Ticket is there one week and not the next in HD, called and complained and they said they could do nothing to fix it, it was a NFL issue. I love DTV and this was the first time I ever got a bullshit answer from them, I said bye bye. By the way I am wary of all you who think you get so much better pictures. I have now seen 5 different set ups and the only time it makes a humongous difference is with cable or with older model televisions. It is not just me, my daughter who has 20-10 vision agrees that there is not a significant difference other than on the discovery channel where the difference is really, really significant.

morphius
09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
I just wish that DTV wasn't be screwed by the local channels., truly a FUBAR situation. I know that it isn't DTV's fault at all, but really they are not the HDTV provider of choice until they can work some of those out.

Phobia
09-21-2006, 08:09 PM
FWIW, DTV has fixed all those local channel issues. I get everything in HD but I have the very latest in equipment - Brand new dish, brand new HD DVR I dropped 4 bills on. It's nice so you should consider upgrading.

Demonpenz
09-21-2006, 08:14 PM
it's hard to go back to regular tv after having hd. i

JBucc
09-21-2006, 08:14 PM
I still have a 9 inch B&W tv. It has a radio built in though. How many of your fancy ass HDTV's can say that?

Phobia
09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I still have a 9 inch B&W tv. It has a radio built in though. How many of your fancy ass HDTV's can say that?

I have about 200 commercial free music channels sorted by genre and decade. These are realy music channels too, not that MTV garbage.

KC Jones
09-21-2006, 08:37 PM
DTV is a horrible piece of shit company with poor service, terrible equipment, and god awful inbred psychobilly installers. The rest of it ain't too bad I guess, but their service technicians are gawd awful.

:D

Archie F. Swin
09-21-2006, 08:43 PM
... enhanceing your football game day experience by $120 worth?

what's 120 bones?

TN_Chief
09-21-2006, 08:46 PM
FWIW...I recently upgraded to the new HD dish and receiver (within the last 2 weeks). I've had some problems with the install, I'll be on my third service call tomorrow morning (LNBs are toasted). I'm sucking it up and dealing with it, 'cause I really do love the service.

If you're having problems...Google for the Retentions 800 number. I called them last night and laid into them a bit (politely). Without asking for it, I got SuperFan for free, half off my Platinum package for the next 6 months and ESPN GamePlan for free for the rest of the season. They will apparently bend over backwards if they think you're pissed. But don't screw around with regular customer service or Tiered tech support...go straight to Retentions.

Logical
09-21-2006, 08:57 PM
FWIW, DTV has fixed all those local channel issues. I get everything in HD but I have the very latest in equipment - Brand new dish, brand new HD DVR I dropped 4 bills on. It's nice so you should consider upgrading.Phil unfortunately it won't fix my abc, cbs, nbc, fox issues as those are created by the local channels who will not allow DTV to broadcast them in HD. DTV did try to get me an exemption so I could get the West Coast feeds of those networks but the channels would not grant them even though they know there are considerable areas of San Diego where you cannot get over the air broadcast.

Logical
09-21-2006, 09:00 PM
what's 120 bones?Truthfully not significant at all. However to me with all current limitations, see individual blades of grass really just does not justify it. I can see some plays or go to a local event and spend that money better.

Phobia
09-21-2006, 09:01 PM
No kidding? So why do I get locals in HD and you don't?

Logical
09-21-2006, 09:03 PM
No kidding? So why do I get locals in HD and you don't?Individual locals have their own policies, for instance my locals allow the non HD version to go out over DTV just not HD version.

Frazod
09-21-2006, 09:12 PM
I have been told by service reps that the HD package will be expanded next year.

Of course, since they're taking my money THIS YEAR, I'm not really happy about paying that extra money for, as Jim says, not much.

But I also agree that HD dramatically enhances the football viewing experience. Seeing every blade of grass is nice, but I personally like seeing the games in widescreen - indeed, that's the main reason I bought all this bullshit in the first place.

Considering my other problems with DTV service, which I've detailed ad naseum, I still believe that for football, HD is worth it. BARELY.

Perhaps by next year these clowns will offer more channels AND properly address the DVR/local channel fiasco. That would be nice. But they should have had their shit wired straight BEFORE offering all this stuff in the first place.

SLAG
09-21-2006, 09:19 PM
I cut Cable and Sat. All together

Im Thining about doing the FTA thing but not sure about it-

either way im saving money not paying for shit i dont watch-
anyone know where i can get a OTA HD tuner?

Archie F. Swin
09-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Truthfully not significant at all. However to me with all current limitations, see individual blades of grass really just does not justify it. I can see some plays or go to a local event and spend that money better.

you're paying $120 for a cable subscription?

Logical
09-21-2006, 10:37 PM
you're paying $120 for a cable subscription?No 10 a month for HDTV option on DTV

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Phobia gets HD locals because he has the new H20 with a 5LNB dish and MPEG 4 decoder. The older (more than a month) receivers and sat combos were H10's with a 3 LNB setup that only had an MPEG 2 decoder. Logical, you can get HD locals, but only if you put up an OTA antenna. I can walk you through the setup if you need, but it is also in your manual for your H10 receiver.

FWIW I've never had issues w/ the Superfan HD. They broadcast about 60-70 percent of the games in HD...the rest they don't. Usually the non-HD games are going to be of the Baltimore/Oakland variety anyway...

Logical
09-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Phobia gets HD locals because he has the new H20 with a 5LNB dish and MPEG 4 decoder. The older (more than a month) receivers and sat combos were H10's with a 3 LNB setup that only had an MPEG 2 decoder. Logical, you can get HD locals, but only if you put up an OTA antenna. I can walk you through the setup if you need, but it is also in your manual for your H10 receiver.

FWIW I've never had issues w/ the Superfan HD. They broadcast about 60-70 percent of the games in HD...the rest they don't. Usually the non-HD games are going to be of the Baltimore/Oakland variety anyway...

No but thank you, the locals will even admit that without a 50 foot antenna I will not be able to receive them OTA, they just don't care. Right now there is no agreement between DTV and the locals for HD but that is supposed to change in the upcoming year. At that point I would need a rig like Phobia has and DTV is even offering to exchange mine for the new model when the time comes.

I Sure do appreciate your offer though, that was incredibly nice of you.

HMc
09-21-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm assuming you can watch the NFL on DTV (and OTA) in widescreen HD can't you? Like SD widescreen?

ChiefsfaninPA
09-22-2006, 04:58 AM
To get the OTA Local HD feed all I had to do was buy a 10 antenna to pull in the HD signal. As I mentioned, I bought the antenna for $10 at Walmart and I receive ALL of my local channels in HD. I was a little peeved that I had to buy the Superfan package to receive HD. And to me there is a noticeable difference between HD broadcast and Non HD broadcast.

crispystl
09-22-2006, 06:16 AM
I have dish network and recently purchased a hd dish and receiver and the silver package all i get is discovery espn espn2 and tnt in high def. NO locals even though I payed for the package. It's bs. Also how do I wathc dvd's in hd???? Will the xbox 360 do it I have one its just hooked up in the back room.

Dartgod
09-22-2006, 06:53 AM
DTV is a horrible piece of shit company with poor service, terrible equipment, and god awful inbred psychobilly installers. The rest of it ain't too bad I guess, but their service technicians are gawd awful.

:D
Hehe....

http://www.yorkshire-dales-flyfishing.com/Images/fly-casting-tuition.jpg

NJ Chief Fan
09-22-2006, 07:10 AM
ill stick to my black and white TV thank you very much

Frazod
09-22-2006, 07:15 AM
I have dish network and recently purchased a hd dish and receiver and the silver package all i get is discovery espn espn2 and tnt in high def. NO locals even though I payed for the package. It's bs. Also how do I wathc dvd's in hd???? Will the xbox 360 do it I have one its just hooked up in the back room.

You need to get a new "progressive scan" DVD player. They aren't expensive. And the Xbox will work on an HDTV in widescreen (my neighbor has one).

crispystl
09-22-2006, 09:08 AM
You need to get a new "progressive scan" DVD player. They aren't expensive. And the Xbox will work on an HDTV in widescreen (my neighbor has one).

Thanks. So the 360 will play dvd's in HD?

Craash
09-22-2006, 09:22 AM
TWC is the same way. And they compress the $hit out of the signal so if there is fast movement, it pexelizes. It's worth having an HDTV for XBOX360 gaming though. :)

In the KC area, KC doesn't compress the HD channels. What you get OTA is what you get via the cable. The issue is in what the locals decide to do. For example:

NBC (KSHB) has taken their alloted Digital Channel bandwidth and decided to make two channels out of it. So, instead of a nice clear HD broadcast, you get a so-so HD broadcast (41-1) and a piece of crap 24 hour weather sub-channel(41-2). I'm a huge HD fan, but this loophole has concerned me from the beginning. I don't feel the stations should have the option of splitting their bandwidth into multiple stations. Either provide us a clear signal, or stay on the analog side, waiting to die.

In my opinion, in the KC area TWC offers the best solution for HD. Please not that once MPG4 becomes widely available via DTV, this might change. There is no arguing that TWC's analog channels, and lower level digital look worse than the same channel on DTV.

Mr. Laz
09-22-2006, 11:22 AM
HD just isn't ready yet

i think by the middle of 2007 it's suppose to be the standard ....... but i dunno.

right now it's just a pain.....

it's good for watching DVD's ... stuff like the super bowl where they actually have HD cameras etc.

Deberg_1990
09-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Ill save my $$$$ Until DTV and HD get the kinks worked out thank you. Ive survived 36 years so far without HD, i think i can survive a few more.

Dartgod
09-22-2006, 12:01 PM
In the KC area, KC doesn't compress the HD channels. What you get OTA is what you get via the cable. The issue is in what the locals decide to do. For example:

NBC (KSHB) has taken their alloted Digital Channel bandwidth and decided to make two channels out of it. So, instead of a nice clear HD broadcast, you get a so-so HD broadcast (41-1) and a piece of crap 24 hour weather sub-channel(41-2). I'm a huge HD fan, but this loophole has concerned me from the beginning. I don't feel the stations should have the option of splitting their bandwidth into multiple stations. Either provide us a clear signal, or stay on the analog side, waiting to die.

In my opinion, in the KC area TWC offers the best solution for HD. Please not that once MPG4 becomes widely available via DTV, this might change. There is no arguing that TWC's analog channels, and lower level digital look worse than the same channel on DTV.
This is true. A couple of Saturdays ago I was watching college FB and Notre Dame was on NBC. I kept thinking that the quality of the HD was very poor. The colors weren't as vibrant and the edges not clean. There was some pixelation as well. I switched over to ABC to watch OU and the difference was night and day. I should note as well that NBC was broadcasting 1080i and ABC was 720p.

ChiefsFanatic
09-22-2006, 12:05 PM
This is true. A couple of Saturdays ago I was watching college FB and Notre Dame was on NBC. I kept thinking that the quality of the HD was very poor. The colors weren't as vibrant and the edges not clean. There was some pixelation as well. I switched over to ABC to watch OU and the difference was night and day. I should note as well that NBC was broadcasting 1080i and ABC was 720p.

I noticed the exact same thing. It was even more noticable switching from US Open Tennis on CBS to Xtreme Sports something or other on NBC.