PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network..........Good? Bad? Ugly?

rad
09-22-2006, 06:08 AM
Got an installer coming today to hook it up. Got the 4 rooms of equipment for free deal. Anyone here have Dish?

Pros?

Cons?

Any input would be appreciated...

BWillie
09-22-2006, 06:29 AM
They suck ass. My local channels never really work. They look clear for about 2 minutes and then for 30 seconds they look all jumbled. I've called them a few times, I've got two different boxes and they say there is nothing you can do. It really sucked last week when everytime a 3rd down came my channel ****ed up..I was real happy let me tell you.

KC Jones
09-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Worked great for me. Never any problems.

C-Mac
09-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Had it for years, no issues.

Basileus777
09-22-2006, 06:35 AM
They suck ass. My local channels never really work. They look clear for about 2 minutes and then for 30 seconds they look all jumbled. I've called them a few times, I've got two different boxes and they say there is nothing you can do. It really sucked last week when everytime a 3rd down came my channel ****ed up..I was real happy let me tell you.

Thats interesting... I have had Dish for several years and have never had any problems with my local channels. Never had any problems in fact.

crispystl
09-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Thats interesting... I have had Dish for several years and have never had any problems with my local channels. Never had any problems in fact.

I have dish and I have had a few problems with a guy they sub-contracted. Now when I turn my t.v. on I have to reset the damn receiver every morning or anytime the t.v. has been off for morre than a couple of minutes. The HD has been a bitch too. But it sucks waking up in the morning when you just want to catch ten minutes of sportscenter before work and by the time you get the dish to download you gotta leave !!

rad
09-22-2006, 06:43 AM
I mainly got sucked into it for NFL Network.

They replay the previous weeks games, right?

I went to the Dish website and it says you have to connect the box to a telephone line. Only I dont have standard telephone service, I have cable phone, hooked up to the back of the modem. Can we split that somehow? The modem only has 1 avail. tel jack open and I'm getting 4 recievers.

Basileus777
09-22-2006, 06:57 AM
I mainly got sucked into it for NFL Network.

They replay the previous weeks games, right?

They show four games, 2 each on Tuesday and Wednesday nights (8 and 10:30).

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/nfl_replay

Kraut
09-22-2006, 07:05 AM
I have no complaints. Everything including local works well

bloomer88
09-22-2006, 07:13 AM
I've had Dish Network for a couple of years now, and haven't had many problems. The only problem I had was the first DVR was crap, but they replaced it free of charge, so it was all good.

I had Directv for about 6 years, and was real reluctant to switch over, but I wanted local channels(which Directv didn't have in my area), plus I wanted the multi-room DVR. The programing at the time was cheaper for Dish Network, too. It took me a little while to get used to the different format, but it didn't take long to get the hang of it, though. Now, I don't know if I could go back to Directv.

Lzen
09-22-2006, 07:44 AM
We've had Dish Network for about 2 years now. We have a dual tuner dvr in the living room and it's also connected to my bedroom. We also have an extra receiver to the boys room. We have the local channels, too. Locals are usually the first to go out in a storm but otherwise, they work just fine. Despite what Skip will have you believe, Dish Network is a solid company. And the fact is that Dish's customer service is better than DTV.

As for BWillie007, it sounds like the problem was with the installer. Which I gather from reading many of the DTV threads that is a problem with both Satellite companies because the installers are often subcontractors. JMO, of course.

KC Jones
09-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Despite what Skip will have you believe, Dish Network is a solid company. And the fact is that Dish's customer service is better than DTV.

I'm biased because I worked for Dish until just recently. I don't care for the way the company treats employees in general, but I've never seen a company that is so focused on customers first. I think they do a great job in that department, and when I switch over to Comcast (my new employer) I know I'm going to miss the hell out of my dual tuner DVR.

DaFace
09-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Had Dish for two years, and really no complaints. I've never really had any problems with local channels either. I do get annoyed when I lose the signal during a storm, but I'd estimate that it happens maybe 5 times a year, and typically just for a few minutes at a time.

Regarding your phone line, a VoIP phone can typically be split just like a normal land-line phone. Just go to any store that carries phones and look for a splitter (like this one (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004Z5KI/nextag-ce-20/ref=nosim)). That should do it.

Iowanian
09-22-2006, 08:09 AM
My biggest 2 complaints so far are....
1. I've lost signal 3 times in 2 months....twice during Chiefs games.

2. I don't have as many local channels as I did with cable. Why is that a problem? Well, previously with 2 CBS and 2 Fox stations, I sometimes had 4 games.

bloomer88
09-22-2006, 08:16 AM
That's one of the things I have been so impressed with regarding Dish Network, their Customer service. DTV's was horrible. I would spend close to an hour on the phone, either on hold or trying to get a straight answer on something. I would always dread calling them. The first time I had to call Dish Network customer service, I was on the phone for 4 minutes. I've called a few times since then, and have gotten right through and gotten my questions answered right away. I was shocked at the difference between the two.

Hoover
09-22-2006, 08:47 AM
I'd rather eat dog shit than have Dish Network

*This post is paid for by Skip Towne, DirectTV is not associated with this post.

Baby Lee
09-22-2006, 08:55 AM
The dual-tuner HD-DVR is life changing.

I've had time shifting on my computer for a while now, but I still needed to be in my seat on time to catch the 'Big Shows' [Deadwood, Lost, Chiefs games, etc] in HD on the big screen.
Now, ALL TV, HD and SD is on 'my time.' Very freeing.

Hoover
09-22-2006, 08:56 AM
My biggest 2 complaints so far are....
1. I've lost signal 3 times in 2 months....twice during Chiefs games.

2. I don't have as many local channels as I did with cable. Why is that a problem? Well, previously with 2 CBS and 2 Fox stations, I sometimes had 4 games.

I have local cable, this is what I like about it.
1. I can hook up ans many TV's as I want. For example in my pool table room in the basment I have 3.
2. Picture quality is very good
3. I get two sets for local stations since I live in the sticks. I get the Cedar Rapids and Des Moines Stations. I love it for sports and news. I'm into politics so getting lots of news from around the state is nice.

What I don't like about it is I don't get the NFL Network, but I get every Cubs game and will get the Big Ten network if when they do that.

What are you guys paying for DirectTV with 4 ot 5 room setups?

Hoover
09-22-2006, 08:57 AM

I've had time shifting on my computer for a while now, but I still needed to be in my seat on time to catch the 'Big Shows' [Deadwood, Lost, Chiefs games, etc] in HD on the big screen.

I love my DVR, best thing I ever got.

KC-TBB
09-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Had nothing but good things to say about Dish. Only lost signal a couple of times in 1+ years, lost it that many times with cable.

out in the 'sticks' it's our only choice, but even if they brought cable in I think I'd stick with it. {

LOVE THE DVR...it is awesome...can skip throught the commercials at will after you record something. :)

Craash
09-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Damn, 20 posts and no skip?

old_geezer
09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I've had both Dish and Directv. When my Dish receiver wore out I switched to Directv since Dish wanted me to buy a new receiver and Directv installed theirs free. I just love the way both companies treat new customers so much better that existing ones.

I really see no difference in service, pricing, or quality between the two companies. Whoever gives me the best deal can have my business. It's true about the installers - when I went to HDTV they sent out an installer who admitted he'd never installed a HD receiver before. He stated that he "didn't have a clue what he needed to do". While he was on the roof putting up the new dish (he knew how to do that anyway) I was below in the house hooking up the receiver. :shake:

old_geezer
09-22-2006, 09:12 AM

I'm damned near as old as Skip - do I count?

rad
09-22-2006, 09:14 AM

It's a n00b's thread.......Skip wouldn't be caught dead in it.

rad
09-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I guess I'll have to grill the guy a little to find out how competent he is.......Skip could come in handy for that, to tell me some questions to ask him.... but you can usually tell by just talking to someone for a few minutes if they have a good head on their shoulders.

Baby Lee
09-22-2006, 09:25 AM
One thing. If you're going HD and have existing coax runs, look it over for weak spots. The HD signal is high bandwidth and needs more than ever, R-6, quality connectors, 2.4Gig splitters, etc. Any runs of R-59, run of the mill splitters, any cheapo components will eff your signal up for the whole system.
Took me and the Dish supervisory technician an afternoon to figure than one out.

rad
09-22-2006, 09:31 AM
One thing. If you're going HD and have existing coax runs, look it over for weak spots. The HD signal is high bandwidth and needs more than ever, R-6, quality connectors, 2.4Gig splitters, etc. Any runs of R-59, run of the mill splitters, any cheapo components will eff your signal up for the whole system.
Took me and the Dish supervisory technician an afternoon to figure than one out.

I don' t have an HD tv, so I shouldn't have to worry about that. I'm going to keep my cable service though because I have the triple play thing where I have cable tv, phone, and internet for one price, But I'll probably turn in my cable box and drop to basic if Dish works out.

DaFace
09-22-2006, 10:43 AM
What are you guys paying for DirectTV with 4 ot 5 room setups?

I don't know about DTV, but with Dish there's no extra charge for the installation, regardless of whether you're in a 1-room or 4-room setup (with our without DVR). Above 4, I'm sure they charge you extra, but I'm not sure how much.

Before talking about the extra charges, understand how their dual-tuner receivers work. Basically, you have one receiver, but it handles two TV's (the remotes work via radio signal). So 1 TV = 1 receiver. 2 TV's = 1 receiver. 3 TV's = 2 receivers. 4 TV's = 2 receivers.

Monthly, they charge you an extra $5 for an extra receiver and an extra $5.98 for DVR service.

GoTrav
09-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Never had a problem with mine. Price is good as well. I get everything w/ movie channels for around 72 bucks a month, minus the HD stuff which I just pick up the local stations here off an antenna I grabbed at Best Buy. Works pretty well for the most part.

Granted a few of the local feeds look like sh1t in non-HD, but I think it's the local stations here using old gear. I've never been satisifed watching the Chiefs games no matter what cable/sat provider I was with, they're analog/digital feeds looks as$tastic.

bogie
09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Got an installer coming today to hook it up. Got the 4 rooms of equipment for free deal. Anyone here have Dish?

Pros?

Cons?

Any input would be appreciated...

I have the dish, I have the NFL package. I use it in 2 rooms. I am pleased.

GoTrav
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM

Don't you have to buy this? It wasn't something they were able to provide me when I was looking to upgrade to DISH HD? But I agree, even the digital dual-tuner is great!