Basileus777
09-22-2006, 08:53 AM
He's no Ryan Sims, thats for sure.

jidar
09-22-2006, 08:59 AM
That's how you ****ing do it

KC-TBB
09-22-2006, 09:02 AM
what, I don't get it, thats what we all did in Pop Warner!

ck_IN
09-22-2006, 09:02 AM
EXplain to me again why DV traded up for Sims when this guy was available? :banghead:

Brock
09-22-2006, 09:04 AM
EXplain to me again why CP traded up for Sims when this guy was available? :banghead:

FYP

ck_IN
09-22-2006, 09:06 AM
<i>EXplain to me again why CP traded up to get DV's boy Sims when this guy was available? :banghead:</i>

FYP

Demonpenz
09-22-2006, 09:50 AM
whew good thing they don't show johnny mortons pregame ritual

Demonpenz
09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht5w6NoznUc&mode=related&search=

look at the 24 second mark

Brock
09-22-2006, 09:57 AM
<i>EXplain to me again why CP traded up to get DV's boy Sims when this guy was available? :banghead:</i>

FYP

Well, at least now you're laying the ultimate blame where it belongs for a change.

ck_IN
09-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Brock as I've said before DV and especially during; CP, as a rule, gets the players his coaches ask for.

Marty wanted Montanna and CP got him. DV wanted Roaf and CP got him. The fact that we traded up to get Sims clearly tells me that DV was in love with him and CP was only getting the guy that his coach wanted.

Ryan Sims will always be the signature pick of DV's magical mystery drafts.

Justlisten
09-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Brock as I've said before DV and especially during; CP, as a rule, gets the players his coaches ask for.

Marty wanted Montanna and CP got him. DV wanted Roaf and CP got him. The fact that we traded up to get Sims clearly tells me that DV was in love with him and CP was only getting the guy that his coach wanted.

Ryan Sims will always be the signature pick of DV's magical mystery drafts.

With the exception of LJ that is a true statement.

Brock
09-22-2006, 10:11 AM

Yeah, that's a great way for Carl to put the blame on someone else. "I drafted Greg Hill because Marty wanted him, that's why he touched the ball about 2 times per game." Same with Larry Johnson.

Demonpenz
09-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah, that's a great way for Carl to put the blame on someone else. "I drafted Greg Hill because Marty wanted him, that's why he touched the ball about 2 times per game." Same with Larry Johnson.

ear TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| 1994 kan | 16 | 141 574 4.1 1 | 16 92 5.8 0 |
| 1995 kan | 16 | 155 667 4.3 1 | 7 45 6.4 0 |
| 1996 kan | 15 | 135 645 4.8 4 | 3 60 20.0 1 |
| 1997 kan | 16 | 157 550 3.5 0 | 12 126 10.5 0

Brock
09-22-2006, 10:19 AM
ear TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| 1994 kan | 16 | 141 574 4.1 1 | 16 92 5.8 0 |
| 1995 kan | 16 | 155 667 4.3 1 | 7 45 6.4 0 |
| 1996 kan | 15 | 135 645 4.8 4 | 3 60 20.0 1 |
| 1997 kan | 16 | 157 550 3.5 0 | 12 126 10.5 0

wow, what an awesome career for a hand-picked first rounder. You sure can see how Marty loved the guy.

TRR
09-22-2006, 10:43 AM
I got hammered on this board for saying I would have rather had John Henderson than Ryan Sims on that draft day. Henderson had 5 times the college career that Ryan Sims did. I will never really understand that pick...

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I got hammered on this board for saying I would have rather had John Henderson than Ryan Sims on that draft day. Henderson had 5 times the college career that Ryan Sims did. I will never really understand that pick...

I'm with you their too

Deberg_1990
09-22-2006, 11:17 AM

Blame John Bunting. Its generally understood that Bunting sold his old buddy Vermeil the bill of goods on Sims.

Brock
09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
I wonder who will get the blame if hali doesn't pan out. Oh, that's right, everybody but the guy who is ultimately responsible.

ck_IN
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
If you read my post Brock you'll see that I said 'as a rule'.

LJ was the exception. CP overruled DV and drafted him. DV responded by acting like an 8yr old and benching and publicly humiliating LJ. For starters Hill had the misfortune of playing behind a HoF'r in Allen and we know Marty liked vets. Also I do have to wonder if there wasn't something personal with Marty and Hill, who knows.

At any rate, your cherry picking aside, it's pretty obvious that CP gets the players his HC's ask for. Sims was a DV pick that we traded up for and passed on a clear winner in Henderson to get. He's also a Jenkins-eque bust.

ck_IN
09-22-2006, 11:30 AM
<i>I wonder who will get the blame if hali doesn't pan out. Oh, that's right, everybody but the guy who is ultimately responsible.</i>

That would be Herm.

Trust me I have lots of venom for CP. He hired Gun. He wasted time with DV. And now he's hired Herm.

The jury is out on Herm so I probably shouldn't include him but you get the idea.

Amnorix
09-22-2006, 11:52 AM

Without arguing about Henderson/Sims, especially -- college production does NOT equal NFL production.

Pats got SKEWERED around here by some media types for taking Richard Seymour "a guy who had one sack his senior year" at the #6 spot.

Needless to say, that has worked out well for us.

The draft is ALWAYS a crapshoot, trying to project college dominance (or not) into a different system against high level players in the NFL.

The success rate of NFL 1st rounders is MUCH lower than most people think.

JBucc
09-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Who else would be a little scared if they were the guy that had to slap him?

NJ Chief Fan
09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
is there any way hes a free agent at seasons end SIGN HIM CARL

DAMMIT CARL! :cuss:

Amnorix
09-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Who else would be a little scared if they were the guy that had to slap him?

http://www.crossroadsinfo.com/images/pagemaster/raisehand.jpg

GoHuge
09-22-2006, 12:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht5w6NoznUc&mode=related&search=

look at the 24 second markThat is the best shit knockin football video I've seen. I can't remember saying OH F&CK! some many times in two minutes.

mcan
09-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Essentially, there were a LOT of scouts and college coaches letting everybody in the NFL know that SIMS was the actual reason why Peppers was so productive. That drafting SIMS would make your defensive ends all look like Derrick Thomas. That's why Minnesota was going to draft him too... Remember that? Jerry Jones was also fielding other offers from teams to get up to #5 and take Sims, and that's why we were late getting our card up there.

No doubt about it, everyone who is supposed to know thought SIMS was a lock... And when the Chiefs got him, I cheered... Loudly.

Basileus777
09-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Essentially, there were a LOT of scouts and college coaches letting everybody in the NFL know that SIMS was the actual reason why Kearse was so productive. That drafting SIMS would make your defensive ends all look like Derrick Thomas. That's why Minnesota was going to draft him too... Remember that? Jerry Jones was also fielding other offers from teams to get up to #5 and take Sims, and that's why we were late getting our card up there.

No doubt about it, everyone who is supposed to know thought SIMS was a lock... And when the Chiefs got him, I cheered... Loudly.

I think you mean Peppers.

mcan
09-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I think you mean Peppers.

You're right... My bad...

Chiefnj
09-22-2006, 12:55 PM
SIms and Henderson scouting reports.

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/scoutingreports_dl.asp

KC-TBB
09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Kinda disturbing

ck_IN
09-22-2006, 01:10 PM
That report basicly rates them as equal in ability and upside. Actually based on those I'd rate Henderson higher based on Sims' 'Will struggle to shed blocks at times'.

So I've still to understand why DV wanted to trade up so badly to get him. One of the two would've been there at our original spot.

Basileus777
09-22-2006, 01:14 PM
That report basicly rates them as equal in ability and upside. Actually based on those I'd rate Henderson higher based on Sims' 'Will struggle to shed blocks at times'.

So I've still to understand why DV wanted to trade up so badly to get him. One of the two would've been there at our original spot.

I got the impression that Henderson had alot more upside, but was less consistant. Plus Henderson had back injury concerns, which is not good paired with his height.

Amnorix
09-22-2006, 01:18 PM
I got the impression that Henderson had alot more upside, but was less consistant. Plus Henderson had back injury concerns, which is not good paired with his height.

Doubly true as NFL players are expected to work out more to increase functional playing strength in the NFL.

Bill Belichick has specifically said that he wishes draft prospects would do more workout geared towards getting ready for the NFL, instead of getting ready for the combine.

Chiefnj
09-22-2006, 01:34 PM
I've relayed this story before, but the Jags took Henderson because of a bad phone interview with Haynesworth the day before the draft. After film, workouts, combine, etc., the Jags had Haynesworth ahead of Henderson on their draft board. (I don't know where Sims was). 2 days before the draft Coughlin gives Haynesworth a call on the phone. Coughlin didn't like the way the conversation went so he walked into the war room the next morning and flipped Haynesworth and Henderson on their draft board. They look smart now for the move, but it was really based on Haynesworth's poor telephone call.

As Chief fans for all we know they might have had Haynesworth and Bryant or someone else ahead of Henderson. Not drafting Sims doesn't mean Henderson was a sure pick for KC.

Basileus777
09-22-2006, 01:38 PM
As Chief fans for all we know they might have had Haynesworth and Bryant or someone else ahead of Henderson. Not drafting Sims doesn't mean Henderson was a sure pick for KC.
Haynesworth is still 100 times better than Sims.

Iowanian
09-22-2006, 01:52 PM
At the time, I thought Sims was the correct pick. Henderson had back issues, Fat Albert had Character issues, wendell Bryant wasn't a can't miss prospect....

There were some great players in that draft, and alot of whiffs.

Hindsight 20-20, Peppers Made Sims, and his coach broke him off in Vermeil's arse.

JBucc
09-22-2006, 01:56 PM
SIms and Henderson scouting reports.

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/scoutingreports_dl.asp
"Great character and competitiveness. A coach’s dream. High-motor player who really seems to like the game."

LMAO

jAZ
09-22-2006, 02:05 PM
I love this one... check out the team reaction at the end.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HaK_TArMLfM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HaK_TArMLfM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jAZ
09-22-2006, 02:10 PM
John Henderson was considered at high risk for injury because he had a mal-formed spine, or something like that. I think had he not had this condition, Henderson at the time (including w/ the Chiefs) would have been the clear-cut #1 DT that year.

http://www.900footballlinks.net/CollegeDraftPlayerNews.htm

DT Henderson
The Tennessean reports DT John Henderson from Tennessee, said teams expressed concern over his back at the NFL Combine over the weekend. He said he's been showing them that it doesn't bother him but it sometimes gets tight in practice. His draft stock has been sliding some but he's still considered a first-round pick. Henderson called it a curve in his spine. He underwent tests for several hours Saturday. He said the tests didn't show anything wrong. Henderson bench-pressed 225 pounds 24 times at the combine but didn't run in the 40-yard dash.
The Knoxville News reports Tennessee DT John Henderson (6-6 1/2, 307) ran a 4.98 40 and performed well in individual drills Wednesday at Tennessee's Pro Day.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:Jdb4kF3RIYgJ:www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_33_226/ai_95677454/pg_8+nfl+%22john+henderson%22+spine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

HENDERSON: Concerns about rookie DT John Henderson's health appear to be dissipating. Henderson, the team's first-round pick, has a curved spine that can cause back and hamstring problems if he doesn't maintain a vigorous stretching program. He missed time in the minicamps because of hamstring problems, raising worries that he was damaged goods. But Henderson (6-7, 315) has silenced his doubters in camp, participating in every practice and frequently looking like the overpowering playmaker the team thought he could be.

ck_IN
09-22-2006, 02:17 PM
My problem with Sims is that we traded up to get him. There was nothing that made him a clearcut better pick then Henderson/Haynesworth/etc. Therefore why trade up? If we'd picked him at 8 and he was a bust then ok. But to move up means there's a clear difference that simply didn't exist.

Amnorix
09-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Keep in mind that success in the NFL for SOME players also requires good coaching and a good environment. Someone like Sims might have succeeded somewhere else. With the Chiefs abysmal D, and possibly bad coaching as part of it, it hasn't been pretty.

Pats multiple SB winning OLine have for the most part been a bunch of scrubs who had the hell coached out of 'em.

RP_McMurphy
09-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Jaguar fan here and don't worry Stroud and Henderson are locked up for a long time. They are the cornerstones of our top 5 defense and will remain that way for 5 plus more years.