PDA

View Full Version : Man, do you believe this?

ZepSinger
09-22-2006, 12:29 PM
So the fam and I were vacationing last week in Eureka Springs Ark. One of the things we did was the ride the 'Belle of the Ozarks' boat at beautiful nearby Beaver Lake.

The boat owner was giving the usual tourguide spiel. Then he asked if anyone had been drinking the water in the area. Of course, we all said. He proceeded to get a clear plastic cup and dip it directly into the lake and offered a drink. Of course, we looked at him like he had a horn growing out of his head. He assured us that the water was perfectly clean, clear, odorless, colorless, and tasteless, and in fact perfectly fine to drink straight out of the lake. My curiousity got the best of me- I took the cup from his hand. Sure enough, it was everything he described. I could hardly believe it. Every other lake I've ever seen has been fairly disgusting, and certainly not drink-worthy in the slightest.

Has anyone else ever heard of this lake or any other being this pure???

Z

JBucc
09-22-2006, 12:31 PM
I don't care how clean it is, it's a lake, stuff swims, mates, dies, and excretes bodily fluids and fecal material in it.

Baby Lee
09-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I still remember dipping cups in mountain streams when vacay in Colorado as a kid. Nummy!!!

JimNasium
09-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't suppose that it has occured to you that the typical Arkansas tour guide isn't exactly a rocket scientist....

Fire Me Boy!
09-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I got not problems dining at Beaver.

Baby Lee
09-22-2006, 12:34 PM
I got not problems dining at Beaver.
You drink from THAT fountain??

Pitt Gorilla
09-22-2006, 12:35 PM
I suppose you wouldn't mind licking the bottom of the boat either.

ZepSinger
I don't care how clean it is, it's a lake, stuff swims, mates, dies, and excretes bodily fluids and fecal material in it.

Well, to be honest, my 'taste' amounted to just less than 1 drop of water... :redface:

tk13
Shoulda had a nice batch of raw spinach to go along with your water.

Baby Lee
09-22-2006, 12:37 PM
I suppose you wouldn't mind licking the bottom of the boat either.
If you were replying to FMB, remind him to flick the man in the boat as well.

Fire Me Boy!
09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
You drink from THAT fountain??
I didn't say drink. I said dine.

Fire Me Boy!
09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
If you were replying to FMB, remind him to flick the man in the boat as well.
ROFL

NewChief
09-22-2006, 12:39 PM
ROFL

You're nuts. Beaver Lake gets closed to swimming almost yearly due to all the fecal coliform in it. It -does- supply the drinking water for most of NWA, but not before going through processing plants. The closings are usually pretty localized, though, so you might have been in a "clean" area.

That being said, how was Eureka? Where did you stay, eat, play? Wife and I were married there, and we usually get over a few times a year.

banyon
09-22-2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.improveverywhere.com/images/asp01.jpg
http://www.improveverywhere.com/mission_view.php?mission_id=56

greg63
09-22-2006, 12:45 PM
:shake:

KC-TBB
09-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Just say NO to water from ARKANSAS!

ZepSinger
09-22-2006, 01:04 PM
ROFL

You're nuts. Beaver Lake gets closed to swimming almost yearly due to all the fecal coliform in it. It -does- supply the drinking water for most of NWA, but not before going through processing plants. The closings are usually pretty localized, though, so you might have been in a "clean" area.

That being said, how was Eureka? Where did you stay, eat, play? Wife and I were married there, and we usually get over a few times a year.

Wow. Glad I didn't glug it. :Lin:

We stayed at the Swiss Village Inn. Besides Beaver Lake, we rode an old train, did alot of shopping, did the 'ghost tour' at the Crescent Hotel, lotsa swimming in the pool, and ate really well. Oh yeah, we did the old-fashioned photo session thing at Judge Roy Bean's. Mrs. Zep and the girls love it there. :)

ChiefsCountry
09-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Funny thing on the news last night they wanted to legalize pot in Eureka Springs.

NewChief
09-22-2006, 01:07 PM

We stayed at the Swiss Village Inn. Besides Beaver Lake, we rode an old train, did alot of shopping, did the 'ghost tour' at the Crescent Hotel, lotsa swimming in the pool, and ate really well. Mrs. Zep and the girls love it there. :)

It's a fun place. Gotta eat at Ermilios next time you're there. Awesome food. Our reception was at the Crescent and that's where most of the guests stayed as well. What a freaking party that was.

KC-TBB
09-22-2006, 01:08 PM
CANNONBALL IT! :BLVD:

Nice to find a vacation spot other than the Lake of the Ozarks, that place has gotten a bit toooooo much. Glad the kids and wife had fun, thats why we work our asses off in the end!

NewChief
09-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Funny thing on the news last night they wanted to legalize pot in Eureka Springs.

It's not really legalizing it. They're trying to make possession of up to an ounce a low priority crime where you'd only get a ticket and a misdemeanor. Eureka would probably pass it, but the State says they'll overturn it as unconstitutional or something if they do.

Iowanian
09-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Other than the microbiotic organisms, turtle, fish, animal and people feces and urine, runoff contaminants......I'm sure its just fine.

You can't see Gerardia in a mountain stream either, but that little critter out of beaver dung will have you shitting yourself to death for a month.

I was on the tour before you, and he had us all piss off the top of the boat.

ZepSinger
09-22-2006, 01:13 PM
It's a fun place. Gotta eat at Ermilios next time you're there. Awesome food. Our reception was at the Crescent and that's where most of the guests stayed as well. What a freaking party that was.

I walked right by Ermilio's!! Will eat there the next time. Yeah, I love Eureka Springs. Been there a few times now. Lotsa tie-dye hippy types and shops there. I felt right at home. :)

Iowanian
09-22-2006, 01:21 PM
What I can't figure out, is how someone originating from Iowa, isn't smart enough NOT to drink downstream from the herd.

I'm perplexed.

This winter on the snowmobile tour of Beaver Lake, the capt probably has a note to ask for a volunteer to lick the flag pole during your tour.
Good grief I hope you're not in charge of teaching the earth science, health and biology at home.

stumppy
09-22-2006, 01:23 PM

We stayed at the Swiss Village Inn. Besides Beaver Lake, we rode an old train, did alot of shopping, did the 'ghost tour' at the Crescent Hotel, lotsa swimming in the pool, and ate really well. Oh yeah, we did the old-fashioned photo session thing at Judge Roy Bean's. Mrs. Zep and the girls love it there. :)

How is the Judge? He married me and Lil stumppys mom.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Well, to be honest, my 'taste' amounted to just less than 1 drop of water... :redface:

I have a lagoon that has the cleanest water in Texas, anybody want a drink! Dumbass!

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Just think of all the turtle and fish semen in that water!

CoMoChief
09-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Beaver Lake/Table Rock Lake are VERY clean lakes. Most of it is sand/rock bottom rather than mud. I've been to Cedar Lodge many times down there and remember the lake being so clear you can literally see down 50-60 ft.

boogblaster
09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
just dont eat the yellow snow....

tiptap
09-22-2006, 01:36 PM
There are usually limiting factors to the growth of organisms present in lakes/reservoirs. Nitrogen (organic as in amides) and phosphorus lead the way. Add that to any body of water and raise the temperature for just a spell and you can increase exponentially those organisms. So drink up.

15 years experience with water treatment and enviromental chemistry says that more than all the doctors, more than all the antibiotics, more than all the vaccines, water treatment is directly related to healthier longer life.

Iowanian
09-22-2006, 01:39 PM
The outhouse on the boat was leaking blue fluid under the boat, and the couple copulating on the top deck just threw a frosting filled Trojan off the Port side.

onescrewleftuntwisted
09-22-2006, 01:41 PM
im not very fond of water, it rusts the pipes

drink more beer its good for you.

stumppy
09-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Beaver Lake/Table Rock Lake are VERY clean lakes. Most of it is sand/rock bottom rather than mud. I've been to Cedar Lodge many times down there and remember the lake being so clear you can literally see down 50-60 ft.

ROFL

One of the main tributary's to Table Rock is James river. One of the main trib.'s to JR is Wilson creek. The Springfield S.W. treatment plant dumps everything that comes out of it into Wilson creek. During years when there has been an excess of rain the treatment plant overflows it untreated sewage into Wilson creek on a regular basis.

Looks can be very decieving.

Skip Towne
09-22-2006, 02:40 PM
just dont eat the yellow snow....
What happened to your rep? Who did you piss off?

Skip Towne
09-22-2006, 02:42 PM
ROFL

One of the main tributary's to Table Rock is James river. One of the main trib.'s to JR is Wilson creek. The Springfield S.W. treatment plant dumps everything that comes out of it into Wilson creek. During years when there has been an excess of rain the treatment plant overflows it untreated sewage into Wilson creek on a regular basis.

Looks can be very decieving.
So why did those Civil War dudes fight over it?

BucEyedPea
09-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Well I've never been to Eureka Springs or Beaver Lake, but I thought Bull Shoals Lake was clear enough to drink, at least the part I saw. I've drunk outta springs in the Swiss Alps and they were definitely clear, clean and cold.

Archie F. Swin
09-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Lake Ouachita, according to Hot Springs folk is relatively clean/clear. Maybe spring fed? I dunno.

rocks
09-22-2006, 04:36 PM
I go to Beaver every weekend starting in April and ending this weekend and I would not drink from the lake. Don't get me wrong the lake is great but the family and I do alot of pissing on the weekends! A few weeks ago a little girl next to us dropped ass in the lake. Needless to say we left and went to Hogscald. Bottoms Up!!

Mojo Rising
09-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I used to go to Beaver Lake every summer when I lived in KC. It is a great lake!

I went back a couple of weeks ago when we were in town for the Home Opener. The houses on the lake have gotten bigger but it is still as clean as I remember.

I would not drink from it though. I was drinking beer all day and would frequently jump in to "feed the fish" or "warm the water."

greg63
09-22-2006, 10:18 PM
What happened to your rep? Who did you piss off?

I think it was his "Mary" thread that done him in.

runnercyclist
09-22-2006, 10:25 PM
yuck

Bwana
09-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Wow, you are nuts! My brother eneded up getting this (see link) off drinking some "fresh water" from a high mountain stream seveal years ago. Unless I can see a fresh water spring source on a stream, there is no way I drink the water and I sure as hell wouldn't drink the water out of a lake. I would say you got lucky.

http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/giardiasis.html

Bearcat
09-23-2006, 07:40 AM
I still remember dipping cups in mountain streams when vacay in Colorado as a kid. Nummy!!!

Holy crap, you just used the word vacay.

stumppy
09-23-2006, 08:47 AM
So why did those Civil War dudes fight over it?

Little known fact, it was all a big Rep war.

tiptap
09-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Wow, you are nuts! My brother eneded up getting this (see link) off drinking some "fresh water" from a high mountain stream seveal years ago. Unless I can see a fresh water spring source on a stream, there is no way I drink the water and I sure as hell wouldn't drink the water out of a lake. I would say you got lucky.

http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/giardiasis.html

Even seeing the spring source is not enough. In the Missouri Ozarks, the KARST geological conditions mean you can have underground rivers, not filtered springs. Big Springs for example is fed from surface water collected in sink holes up to 20 miles away. This water pools in underground caves before exiting. There is no filtering just funneling.

As far as high mountain streams, the conditions of that water is suspect as well. Mountain goats will easily reach those elevations (if not men).

Archie F. Swin
09-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I hear they're having an aquarium tasting at PetCo

CosmicPal
09-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Patches wouldn't have a problem with drinking it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/felicia_valis/PatchesOHoulihan.jpg

NewChief
09-23-2006, 11:07 AM
I go to Beaver every weekend starting in April and ending this weekend and I would not drink from the lake. Don't get me wrong the lake is great but the family and I do alot of pissing on the weekends! A few weeks ago a little girl next to us dropped ass in the lake. Needless to say we left and went to Hogscald. Bottoms Up!!

I used to spend my entire summers in college hanging out at Hogscald. Good times.

BucEyedPea
09-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Even seeing the spring source is not enough. In the Missouri Ozarks, the KARST geological conditions mean you can have underground rivers, not filtered springs. Big Springs for example is fed from surface water collected in sink holes up to 20 miles away. This water pools in underground caves before exiting. There is no filtering just funneling.

As far as high mountain streams, the conditions of that water is suspect as well. Mountain goats will easily reach those elevations (if not men).

I was pretty high up, above the pollution line...but yeah, there were mountain goats all around. Sure was cool, tasty and refreshing and I've been alive for 18 years since. :p

I think a healthy immunity can deal with a certain level of crud. :)

Mojo Rising
09-23-2006, 10:53 PM
I used to spend my entire summers in college hanging out at Hogscald. Good times.

Where is Hogscald?

Have you been to the "Pot Holes" at the end of Big Clifty? There are many Private Property signs there. We used to walk by them without problems.