PDA

View Full Version : Bon jour, mon fellow Chiefsplanet members!

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 02:56 PM
I just got back from 8 days in Paris, which is a large city in France. Actually, it was 6 days in Paris and 2 days in airports.

I'll leave the best part for my book and made-for-TV movie, but here are a few observations for those of you who are incarcerated and have nothing better to do than read this.

1. They cook their meat too much in Paris. Or they char it too much or something, because my meat-type foods often tasted more like charcoal than meat. I wasn't into that very much.

2. They have odd televised sports there. The five-girl Russian team gymnastics team (five people on the floor at the same time doing hula hoops or waving flags) was dominant in their contest.

3. Very, very low cut tops are fashionable for women in Paris. Shockingly low cut in some cases, as in you-can-see-the-whole-side-of-the-breast low cut. I found it striking and visionary.

4. We wondered if there had been some sort of terrorist warning in France, because at some of the bigger sites, there were several soldiers patrolling with automatic weapons. They weren't there the last time I was in Paris in 2002. Also, we had to go through five security checks to get on our plane at the airport. Security was much tighter than in the U.S.

5. On the subject above, we had a minor adventure at the Louvre. We were wandering around in the French sculpture area, and all of a sudden some big steel doors came down and cut off one of the balconies. We thought that was odd. Then about three minutes later an alarm started sounding. Then a voice came on and said, "For your own safety, please leave the Louvre now. All visitors should leave the Louvre." Now, if you've ever been there, you know that the place is enormous and labyrinthine. So we started trying to find an exit on our map. We wandered through the Assyria section and found one, but the doors had all been closed and locked, which was a bit alarming. We then had to backtrack, and finally found a big emergency exit with a staffer. We asked her what was going on, and she said that "it's just a training exercise" and sent us back in. I'm suspicious, though; what kind of training exercise would involve setting off alarms, locking down the place, and informing visitors that they need to leave for their own safety?

6. Monet, Van Gogh, and Pissarro rock. They really do, especially Monet. With most paintings, I could make a poor-quality copy of it if the original was sitting right beside me. With Monet, I can't figure out how he painted pictures, even when I'm looking for the brushstrokes from six inches away. The brush strokes seem to make no sense, but when you back away, voila! Masterpiece!

7. I find it interesting that a Coca-Cola, a glass of wine, and a bottle of water typically cost the same in most restaurants.

8. We accidentally ordered raw beef for an appetizer one night. I winced a little and ate it, and it actually was pretty good. Then we accidentally ordered raw beef again for the main course. (Sigh.)

9. I managed to almost electrocute myself. I had my laptop with me for work reasons, and my wife had her Motorola Q with her. We only had one outlet converter, so one day I unplugged my laptop, which had been charging, and started to plug in her Q to charge it up. KRZAPAZAPABZZZZZZZZ! Before I even plugged it in, I accidentally brushed my hand on the converter, and wowza. However many volts there are in Europe, I took them all. The current nailed me in the hand and arm and actually passed through my hand and destroyed the battery in the Q before the circuit breaker in the hotel tripped. The main joint in my thumb is still sore days later.

10. The gal who won the Miss Italy contest (featuring a rather bemused and mute Sylvester Stallone as one of the judges) was much less attractive than the first runner-up.

11. Some Congolese cab driver tried to engage me in a debate about President Bush. He didn't like him at all. I didn't choose to argue. I found out later that the Congolese cab driver had taken a very long route to overcharge us by about $30. Never, ever trust Congolese democrats.

12. Versailles would be a nice place to live. Nice house, nice yard, nice awesome paintings of mythological heroes on the ceiling. The French really know their interior decorating.

13. I demanded their surrender, but they surprised me with their resistance. They ceded me Marseilles and Lyon, but nothing else.

14. Versailles was great, but we went into the apartments of Napoleon III in the Louvre, and there was one room that was unbelievable. Just unbelievable. It blew away any room I've ever seen, and there's nothing else even close - not at Versailles, not in Windsor Castle, nothing. A few pictures from the Internet are shown below. And the really amazing thing is that this apartment became the official home for the French Minister of Finance at some point, and the Minister lived there up until 1989.

http://brandyandjames.texasdemolay.org/honeymoon/pictures/day%202%20024.jpg

http://www.danielyeow.com/lou1_22.jpg

http://www.hoyt-teresa.com/images/fr_2003_louvre_napoleon.jpg

Hammock Parties
09-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Did you get a chance to use a bidet?

big nasty kcnut
09-24-2006, 03:09 PM
13. I demanded their surrender, but they surprised me with their resistance. They ceded me Marseilles and Lyon, but nothing else.

Well you should of use your pen they would of given you more. Just saying surrender only going to get you so much.

grandllama
09-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up Kev,

although not the same world traveler as you, I am headed to France for two weeks...

although I'm afraid the only part of Paris I will see is the airport as I have to go to some city on the France / Germany border... Fergesheim or something like that.

maybe the french out their will give me less resistence than you on surrendering...

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Did you get a chance to use a bidet?

Sadly, I didn't, but I should observe that the French have more toilet designs than Hawaii has grains of sand.

JBucc
09-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Did you bathe?

DaFace
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Did you bathe?

If he did, he was in the minority. I was in Paris for a couple days a few years back. I really enjoyed the trip, but one trip on the metro (subway) confirmed that baths and deodorant are in short supply. :)

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up Kev,

although not the same world traveler as you, I am headed to France for two weeks...

although I'm afraid the only part of Paris I will see is the airport as I have to go to some city on the France / Germany border... Fergesheim or something like that.

maybe the french out their will give me less resistence than you on surrendering...

Paris probably has more sights than Fergesheim or something like that. What takes you to Fergesheim or something like that?

Hammock Parties
09-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Did you eat any snails?

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Did you bathe?

My wife made me.

Actually, I didn't sniff a lot of people, but I've never noticed any aromatic French people. I've always found them to be a clean peoples.

Skip Towne
09-24-2006, 03:20 PM
My wife made me.

Actually, I didn't sniff a lot of people, but I've never noticed any aromatic French people. I've always found them to be a clean peoples.
Should we give France back to the Germans?

09-24-2006, 03:21 PM
My wife made me.

welcome back man...did you go to the champsdylise???(did I spell that right??)

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Did you eat any snails?

I've had 'em before and think they basically just taste like mushrooms. This trip, though, was gastronomically all about raw beef.

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
welcome back man...did you go to the champsdylise???(did I spell that right??)

I had lunch on the Champs de Elysses on my way to the Arc De Triomphe. It was pizza, in tribute to the Romans who first brought civilization to Gaul. That, and I was in the mood for pizza.

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Should we give France back to the Germans?

Actually, I'm a fan of the French. They're good at interior decorating, they make good desserts, and I can beat most of them up if I had to.

Sully
09-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Do you speak French?
If not, was it a pain to communicate?

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Do you speak French?
If not, was it a pain to communicate?

Nah, not a problem at all. I know how to say 'hello' and 'thank you', but it's really easy to just blunder around in a place like Paris.

Rausch
09-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Actually, I'm a fan of the French.

Rain Man
09-24-2006, 03:50 PM
What can I say? I love their eclairs and lemon tarts.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, a tart is ok but I prefer the more amiable slut. Both, however, are preferable to the bimbo. Don't even get me started on bimbos.

However I digress, le beoufed up security measures are in response to 'youths' (read: immigrants) burning cars in Paris. The french never invented le garage, so they've substituted le streetside impromptu midnight bar-b-que . Grab a bottle of vin ordinaire and go hobnob with le knobjobs.

Archie F. Swin
09-24-2006, 05:36 PM
We were wandering around in the French sculpture area, and all of a sudden some big steel doors came down and cut off one of the balconies. We thought that was odd. Then about three minutes later an alarm started sounding. Then a voice came on and said, "For your own safety, please leave the Louvre now. All visitors should leave the Louvre." Now, if you've ever been there, you know that the place is enormous and labyrinthine.

You farted in the Louvre didin't ya?

blueballs
09-24-2006, 05:51 PM
"I just got back from 8 days in Paris, which is a large city in France"

hehehehehe

Iowanian
09-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Why, oh Why, in the name of Cursing Bill Cosby would you go to France TWICE in 4 years....on purpose?

DaFace
09-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Nah, not a problem at all. I know how to say 'hello' and 'thank you', but it's really easy to just blunder around in a place like Paris.

I've found this to be the case in the majority of Europe. English is a second language to most people - especially in the areas most visited by tourists.

Frankie
09-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I just got back from 8 days in Paris, ...

I'll leave the best part for my book and made-for-TV movie,...

So THAT's what the Gérard Depardieu rumor that he likes men is all about. :hmmm:

:p

Dartgod
09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Never, ever trust Congolese democrats.
Can we get this moved to the DC forum immediately?

Bob Dole
09-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Bob Dole prefers Paris, Texas.

Mostly because Bob Dole can actually afford to get there and back.

Pitt Gorilla
09-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Did you make it to Normandy or Dijon?

I ate at the McDonalds next to the Arc and they served beer. I thought that was cool.

Rain Man
09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Why, oh Why, in the name of Cursing Bill Cosby would you go to France TWICE in 4 years....on purpose?

This one was free. :clap:

I didn't make it anywhere outside central Paris. My in-laws wanted to go and wanted a guide, so my wife and I went with them. They bought the airfare and the hotel room for us. No way would I pass that up.

Chief Pote
09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
3. Very, very low cut tops are fashionable for women in Paris. Shockingly low cut in some cases, as in you-can-see-the-whole-side-of-the-breast low cut. I found it striking and visionary.

Uooooh La La

Baby Lee
09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Bonjour, mes fellow Chiefsplanet members!
FYTH

Rain Man
09-25-2006, 10:44 AM
FYTH

Mercy bocoo.

Baby Lee
09-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Mercy bocoo.
il n'était rien

4th and Long
09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Omlette de fromage!!!

StcChief
09-25-2006, 10:55 AM
5. On the subject above, we had a minor adventure at the Louvre. We were wandering around in the French sculpture area, and all of a sudden some big steel doors came down and cut off one of the balconies. We thought that was odd. Then about three minutes later an alarm started sounding. Then a voice came on and said, "For your own safety, please leave the Louvre now. All visitors should leave the Louvre." Now, if you've ever been there, you know that the place is enormous and labyrinthine. So we started trying to find an exit on our map. We wandered through the Assyria section and found one, but the doors had all been closed and locked, which was a bit alarming. We then had to backtrack, and finally found a big emergency exit with a staffer. We asked her what was going on, and she said that "it's just a training exercise" and sent us back in. I'm suspicious, though; what kind of training exercise would involve setting off alarms, locking down the place, and informing visitors that they need to leave for their own safety?

you got to be their test case guinea pigs for the drill.
The would have paid real workers for that. :rolleyes:
in their <35 hour week.

Baby Lee
09-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Omlette de fromage!!!
Maman!!! Je veux mes poofs de fromage!!

BucEyedPea
09-25-2006, 11:32 AM
1. They cook their meat too much in Paris.

But they do undercook bacon, that is if ya' had an English Breakfast in place of a croissant and café au lait.

6. Monet, Van Gogh, and Pissarro rock. They really do, especially Monet.

Did you get to see the massive impressionist collection at the Jeu de Paume Museum too? Includes Cézanne's too.

Nice pics! :thumb:

RealSNR
09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Last time I was in France I completely avoided Paris as much as I could. I hate people, especially foreigners... even when I am considered one.

I really enjoyed driving around the French countryside. Nude beaches I also highly recommend.

CosmicPal
09-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Dude....

Instead of providing your "incarcerated" pals back home pics of girls with very low cut tops, you instead gave us pics of museum and a freakin' chandalier.

You should know better. :shake:

ROYC75
09-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a nice trip, a couple of questions we all want to know ........

# 1 ) Did the french fry come from France ?

# 2 ) Did you find your bike while on this expedition ?

Jenson71
09-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Do you drink the French water, Rain Man? I was told not to, but did anyway.

Also, when are you going to get to Egypt?

4th and Long
09-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Maman!!! Je veux mes poofs de fromage!!
LMAO

http://www.duke.edu/~egm/gotpoofs/vaderpoofs.jpg