PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simms in Critical Condition

Miles
09-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Tampa Bay QB Simms in critical condition
STEVE LYTTLE
slyttle@charlotteobserver.com

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms was taken by ambulance to a Tampa hospital Sunday afternoon and is listed in critical condition, according to reports by several news sources.

There is no indication as to the cause of Simms' medical problems.

He was hospitalized a short time after the Buccaneers' last-minute 26-24 NFL loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Simms appeared to experience medical problems during the game. He was hit hard several times by Panthers defensive players and was taken out of the game in the third quarter. Announcers said Simms had suffered from dehydration in the 90-degree-plus heat and high humidity in Tampa.

But Simms, a former Texas University quarterback whose father, Phil, also played in the NFL, returned to the game this afternoon and led Tampa Bay on a fourth-quarter scoring drive. Observers reported that he left the field on his own power after the game.

Simms was not available for interviews after the game, as he was being attended by trainers and doctors.

At his postgame press conference, Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden said of Simms: "He got hit early and he hurt his ribs. We don't know the extent of that, but he played hard today. He played tough and he showed a lot of grit. He really did. It is a credit to him.

"He is hurting right now, there is no question. He left the game. I don't know that it was because of his ribs, dehydration or both. He is a very sore and tired man right now, and I am proud of how he hung in there against a very good run defense.''

Pat Yasinkas, an Observer writer covering today's Panthers-Tampa Bay game, said he was told this evening that Simms' family had been called to St. Joseph's Hospital, where the stricken player had been taken.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/15599873.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_carolina_panthers

Gonzo
09-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Seems like a nice kid...Hope he's OK.

JBucc
09-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Oh my

NewChief
09-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Scary. I hope he comes out okay.

Tactical Funky
09-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Sounds like heat stroke...

Best wishes for him.

FAX
Critical condition? Could this be right?

FAX

the Talking Can
I assumed the article was about his career....

hope he's ok

NewChief
09-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I assumed the article was about his career....

hope he's ok

Yeah. I actually kept reading the article and waiting for the punchline (ala the dangerous white powder/goal line joke). Unfortunately this is real.

Miles
09-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Looks like he pretty much played the entire game too. Hopefully its nothing too serious.

Tactical Funky
09-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Critical condition? Could this be right?

FAX
I once suffered from heat stroke when practicing for high school football in the summer.

I spent more than a day in the hospital and went into shock a few times before my body temperature and fluid levels were stabilized.

Scary stuff.

Otter
09-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I call bullshit on the severity of the situation but certainlly wish him the best.

gblowfish
09-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I can't find anything about this on ESPN or Tampa Newspaper websites. Any other sources on this besides the Charlotte Observer?

Bob Dole
09-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Simms never had any business being an NFL QB, but it really sucks that he's now in critical condition because of the game.

Easy 6
09-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Man there is some tough stuff going on this year, Trent, C.Johnson lookin' like he'd had a lobotomy, Simms in critical. Hope the kids ok.

BucEyedPea
09-24-2006, 05:58 PM
OMG! I hadn't heard anything here locally yet, or on my other boards.
The heat and humidity can really knock you out here,let alone play a sport in it. I hope he's okay. This on top of rumors that Caddy has three herniated discs. :(

FAX
09-24-2006, 05:59 PM
I once suffered from heat stroke when practicing for high school football in the summer.

I spent more than a day in the hospital and went into shock a few times before my body temperature and fluid levels were stabilized.

Scary stuff.

I'm glad to know you made it through okay, Mr. Tactical Funky.

I believe this is the first time I've heard of anyone classified as "critical" due to dehydration. Of course, the ribs are another concern. But, still ... a cracked or even broken rib shouldn't lead to a critical condition grading unless another organ was pierced.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that the general definition of "critical" condition (although it varies among hospitals) is a risk of death within some time period like 24 hours or something.

FAX

runnercyclist
09-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Curious

BucEyedPea
09-24-2006, 06:00 PM
I've heard of people dying from heat stroke or dehydration.

FAX
09-24-2006, 06:02 PM
I've heard of people dying from heat stroke or dehydration.

Yes, but did they have tables full of little Gatorade cups at their immediate disposal, Ms. BucEyedPea?

This is strange.

FAX

the Talking Can
09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Trent Green was in critical condition.

Simms was just having an Applewhite flashback.

OnTheWarpath15
09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm glad to know you made it through okay, Mr. Tactical Funky.

I believe this is the first time I've heard of anyone classified as "critical" due to dehydration. Of course, the ribs are another concern. But, still ... a cracked or even broken rib shouldn't lead to a critical condition grading unless another organ was pierced.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that the general definition of "critical" condition (although it varies among hospitals) is a risk of death within some time period like 24 hours or something.

FAX

This is pure speculation, but I think dehydration is the least of his concerns......

He got drilled several times in the game, and left after that pop he took in the back/ribs on the TD run....

Reminds me of a hit that Jim McMahon took back in the '80's. Went to take a whiz after the game.....blood. Took him to the hospital, and caught a lacerated kidney in time.

Again, pure speculation on my part, but wouldn't be surprised. I have a hard time with him being in critical condition over dehydration.

Whatever the case, I hope he comes out alright......

Al Bundy
09-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Here is one (http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/)
I alread somewhere else there is a possibility of internal bleeding as well.

Deberg_1990
09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
and here comes Major Applewhite to bail him out as usual...

BucEyedPea
09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Yes, but did they have tables full of little Gatorade cups at their immediate disposal, Ms. BucEyedPea?

This is strange.

FAX

Maybe that wasn't enough for him? I dunno. There was a Vikings tackle,Korey Stringer who died of heat stroke after drills in the heat and humidity...died at at 27. It was on ESPN.

But then every time we play Carolina the team is pretty beat up and we have injuries. Even happened to Atlanta recently. Their D is tough.

tk13
09-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Peter King on NBC just reported that he is NOT in critical condition as is being reported.

the Talking Can
NBC just reported that Simms is NOT in critical condition.

Bob Dole
Peter King just reported the TB GM says Simms is NOT in critical condition.

gblowfish
Peter King just talked about the story on NBC. Said Simms is in the hospital, but the GM of the Bucs told him he wasn't as bad as "Critical Condition."

He's probably got bruised ribs and dehydration. He should be OK.

FAX
09-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Friggin' caveman reporters.

FAX

the Talking Can
09-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Here is one (http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/)
I alread somewhere else there is a possibility of internal bleeding as well.

I read somewhere that JFK had webbed feet.

mac58
09-24-2006, 06:11 PM
hope he's ok . . .

tk13
09-24-2006, 06:12 PM
I win that round.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Not to mention easy access to IV fluids.

BucEyedPea
09-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Seems like he's okay. I hope.

On the fluids they gotta know better to take this stuff or enough for themselves too. This guy here didn't:

Vikings tackle Stringer dies from heatstroke (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0731/1233494.html)

MANKATO, Minn. -- Korey Stringer was determined to prove himself, especially after he needed to be carted off the field on the first day of practice because of exhaustion in the sweltering heat.

Korey Stringer goes through a short-stepping drill Monday in the Vikings camp, but had difficulty handling the heat and was hospitalized Tuesday night.
Instead, he collapsed of heatstroke after returning Tuesday and died 15 hours later.

Stryker
09-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Miles - I noticed your LSU avatar. Are you from Baton Rouge? I see your location is Denver, CO.

Al Bundy
09-24-2006, 06:22 PM
They are reporting on ESPN NEws that Chris Simms has had his spleen removed

JBucc
09-24-2006, 06:23 PM
They are reporting on ESPN NEws that Chris Simms has had his spleen removedI read that as "spine" at first instead of spleen LOL

Miles
09-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Miles - I noticed your LSU avatar. Are you from Baton Rouge? I see your location is Denver, CO.

Not from LA but I am an LSU alum.

OnTheWarpath15
09-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Guess I wasn't that far off.....

Peter King confirms through Simms' mom that his spleen was removed and also received a blood transfusion.....

ChiefsfaninPA
Had his spleen removed and a blood transfusion. Peter King just announced on NBC after talking to Simms mother.

ChiefsfaninPA
Guess I wasn't that far off.....

Peter King confirms through Simms' mom that his spleen was removed and also received a blood transfusion.....

Your faster than me. Not fair.

Stryker
09-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Not from LA but I am an LSU alum.

I am an alum as well. Geaux Tigers!

KcMizzou
09-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Friggin' caveman reporters.

FAXWhat's up with all the caveman stuff? I missed that joke.

FAX
09-24-2006, 07:01 PM
What's up with all the caveman stuff? I missed that joke.

Apparently, Mr. Bob Dole has acquired an unfortunate form of Turet's Syndrome that compells him to repeatedly refer to cavemen, Mr. KcMizzou.

I believe I may be exhibiting sympathetic symptoms.

FAX

Easy 6
09-24-2006, 07:05 PM
FAX is cool..............

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2006, 07:14 PM
WTF is Gruden going to do now??? Should he try and trade for Griese?

Skip Towne
09-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Apparently, Mr. Bob Dole has acquired an unfortunate form of Turet's Syndrome that compells him to repeatedly refer to cavemen, Mr. KcMizzou.

I believe I may be exhibiting sympathetic symptoms.

FAX
I assume, Mr. FAX, that you were referring to Tourette's Syndrome

the Talking Can
09-24-2006, 07:36 PM

play the spleen

FAX
09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I assume, Mr. FAX, that you were referring to Tourette's Syndrome

No, Mr. Skip Towne. As a matter of fact, I was referring to Og Turet; the famed prehistoric neurologist and cave artist best known for his work with fire and the etiology of repetitive behavior and compulsive Googling.

FAX

Deberg_1990
09-24-2006, 07:45 PM

He gonna make a blockbuster trade for Brodie Croyle.

Al Bundy
09-24-2006, 07:49 PM

Only thing Gru gets out of this is an excuse and a free pass.

Bob Dole
09-24-2006, 07:52 PM
I am an alum as well. Geaux Tigers!

Barney (a contemporary of cavemen) is purple.

cdcox
09-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Out 2-3 months. Probably the rest of the season.

Bob Dole
09-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Out 2-3 months. Probably the rest of the season.

It's a bad deal for him, but in all seriousness, had his father not been named Phil, he never would have started a game in the NFL.

Bob Dole hopes he is okay.

Skip Towne
09-24-2006, 08:01 PM
It's a bad deal for him, but in all seriousness, had his father not been named Phil, he never would have started a game in the NFL.

Bob Dole hopes he is okay.
Or Texas either for that matter. He kept needing Lt. Colonel Applewhite to bail him out repeatedly down there.

chiefsfan1963
09-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Man that's tough. Isn't your spleen pretty important organ? Is his football career over? Man, this guy was gutting it out on the field while he was bleeding internally! First Trent now Simms tough sport! God bless them both.

cdcox
09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Let's all go over to the Buc's board and let them know that they are totally screwed now that their QB has gone down. If anyone calls us classless, we can say we know what it's like and we are just telling them how it is.

tommykat
09-24-2006, 08:19 PM
If you're Peyton or Tom Brady then "no one" will call any penalty plain and simple!

BucEyedPea
09-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Let's all go over to the Buc's board and let them know that they are totally screwed now that their QB has gone down. If anyone calls us classless, we can say we know what it's like and we are just telling them how it is.
Ha!Ha! They were all cryin' for a Griese trade after last week's game.

I wonder if Simms will be giving any more positive thinking speeches for the school where I work, like he did this past Spring?

Skip Towne
09-24-2006, 08:25 PM
If you're Peyton or Tom Brady then "no one" will call any penalty plain and simple!
Oh, bullshit TK, where did you hear that?

Miles
09-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Man that's tough. Isn't your spleen pretty important organ? Is his football career over? Man, this guy was gutting it out on the field while he was bleeding internally! First Trent now Simms tough sport! God bless them both.

I have always heard that not having one is not a huge deal. They said on halftime of the night game that he will be able to play again but just not any time soon (likely this season).

Here is some general stuff on the spleen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spleen

Skip Towne
09-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Ha!Ha! They were all cryin' for a Griese trade after last week's game.

I wonder if Simms will be giving any more positive thinking speeches for the school where I work, like he did this past Spring?
You're a teacher? What grade?

BucEyedPea
09-24-2006, 08:27 PM
You're a teacher? What grade?

I am an adjunct faculty at a local college. Don't do it full time.

tommykat
09-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Oh, bullshit TK, where did you hear that?

Just my thought on the "no call" on Trent........Not saying it was wrong, just saying if it was Peyton or Brady that guy would have been fined and out a game or two.

Thig Lyfe
09-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Jeff George has replaced Chris Simms' spleen with Ben Roethlisberger's appendix...

More news coming through the internet tubes as we speak...

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2006, 08:33 PM

It filters your blood and helps your immune system, but people can live just fine w/o it.

FAX
09-24-2006, 08:47 PM
It filters your blood and helps your immune system, but people can live just fine w/o it.

It is true, Mr. 'Hamas' Jenkins, that one can live without it. Unfortunately, you have to drink 16 ounces of yucky spleen suppliment every day.

FAX

VonneMarie
09-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Man there is some tough stuff going on this year, Trent, C.Johnson lookin' like he'd had a lobotomy, Simms in critical. Hope the kids ok.
ROFL

Easy 6
09-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Is this mysterious Mr.FAX in fact the reborn Jimi, his ethereal prose leads me to conclude affirmative :rockon: