PDA

View Full Version : More of Carls company men trying to boost support for Herm

B_Ambuehl
09-25-2006, 12:10 PM
They sure are trying awfully hard it seems. At least this one didn't have any shots taken at Vermeil. I wonder how much longer this BS is gonna go on?

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/09/25/gretz_what_you_dont_know_about_herm/

GRETZ: What You Don't Know About Herm
Sep 25, 2006, 6:39:36 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

OK, so you’ve listened and watched Herm Edwards over the last nine months and you’ve heard the pundits call him “The Preacher,” label him as conservative and question his clock-management ability.

But those labels are the handiwork of a media more interested in putting people into an easy to handle box rather than finding out what makes the man tick.

For instance, did you know that on game day, Edwards wears dress shoes on the sidelines, not athletics shoes? In today’s NFL, where coaches aren’t allowed to wear a tie and must wear league-approved clothing, most of the top guys wear basic sneakers in the team colors or black football shoes.

Not Herm.

“I wear shoes that match what I’m wearing,” he said. “I don’t wear sneakers. These shoes have rubber soles, so they aren’t really dressy shoes.”

But they sure aren’t the usual foot ware seen on NFL sidelines.

“Have you noticed my belt?” Edwards asked. “It’s got a nice silver buckle on it with the Chiefs emblem.”

Not only does he wear dress shoes on the field, but also before every game, in the locker room, Edwards shines them himself.

“That goes back to my days as a kid when I used to sign shoes at the Army base,” said Edwards, recalling one of his first jobs, taking care of shoes at Ft. Ord in California. “I still like to work on them and give them a nice shine.”

Do you know about the Fig Newtons? No matter where Edwards is, whether in his office, or his home, or at training camp, there’s a package of Fig Newton cookies close by. It’s usually in the refrigerator and the package is not opened and the cookies are never eaten.

“It’s just a reminder to me of my days back in college when you didn’t have very much money and all we had around the place to eat was Fig Newtons,” Edwards said. “Sometimes that was breakfast, lunch and dinner. One thing about a Fig Newton, it will fill you up.

“I never eat them now. My son came home one time about two years ago and he knows the story, but he was hungry and he couldn’t help himself and he opened up the fig newtons and ate some. My wife looked at him, what did you just do? He’s like ‘I know, I know, we’ve got to get to the store and get a new package. We’ve got to take care of this before Dad gets home.’

“I always told myself, no matter what happens, if you have Fig Newtons in the refrigerator, you’ll never go hungry. Since then, I’ve always had them. They are a reminder to me of where I came from. If something happens in the world and there’s total chaos, I know one thing, my family will be fine because we’ll still have Fig Newtons.”

Did you know that one of the defining moments of Herm Edwards’ life came as a child, when he sat down in front of the television and watched an old black and white movie: “Jim Thorpe: All-American.”

“Burt Lancaster was Jim Thorpe and it told his whole story and I remember watching that and thinking that I wanted to be an athlete,” said Edwards. “He was probably the greatest athlete we ever had in this country and he went through a lot over his life and a lot of things happened to him.

“But that movie really stuck with me. It really pushed me in the direction that I ultimately ended up traveling and that’s as an athlete.”

Yet, that movie is not his favorite. That would be “The Ten Commandments.” “Now that’s a movie,” Edwards said with a laugh. “Charlton Heston leading his people through the desert. That comes on and I can’t turn away. What a great, great story.”

There are a lot of great stories that make up the man named Herm Edwards. Now you know a few more.

FAX
09-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I think it will continue at least until we score another touchdown, Mr. B_Ambuehl.

FAX

RealSNR
09-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I like how Carl, err... Bob takes a fluff piece on Herm and uses it to try and defend his reputation.

Complete. Utter. Bullshit.

MichaelH
09-25-2006, 12:19 PM
I really don't care what he wears or that he polishes his shoes.

Fish
09-25-2006, 12:31 PM
The Fig Newtons thing is a little creepy.......

"If something happens in the world and there’s total chaos, I know one thing, my family will be fine because we’ll still have Fig Newtons.”

WTF?

FAX
09-25-2006, 12:37 PM
When something happens in the world and chaos breaks out, I'm doomed because I hate fig newtons.

Better buy nabisco stock. There's going to be a run on those damned things, now.

FAX

JBucc
09-25-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't care for fig newtons either. Fig isn't a very good taste to me. Also the way they fall apart isn't very appeasing. I'd rather stock up on those pouches of Starkist Tuna where you can make your own tuna salad.

htismaqe
09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I like how Carl, err... Bob takes a fluff piece on Herm and uses it to try and defend his reputation.

Complete. Utter. Bullshit.

Yeah, heaven forbid he do his job, for his employer...

FAX
09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
I think it's interesting that Herm has the answer for how to survive Armageddon, but he can't figure out how get us into the endzone. I think his priorities may be somewhat misaligned.

FAX

Chiefnj
09-25-2006, 12:50 PM
No wonder Herm doesn't care when Green comes back, he's got fig newtons in the fridge! It all makes perfect sense now.

ck_IN
09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
And next on Oprah...........

Does this strike anyone else as being a little too daytime TVish?

Frankly Bob, I don't give a damm.

King_Chief_Fan
09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
And we thought Gun was goofy

htismaqe
09-25-2006, 12:59 PM
And next on Oprah...........

Does this strike anyone else as being a little too daytime TVish?

Frankly Bob, I don't give a damm.

Neither do I.

And just think, we wouldn't have to read ONE WORD from Bob Gretz, Eileen Weird, Dufus, or any of the rest of them if people WOULD STOP POSTING IT HERE.

Ah, hypocrisy is such a great thing, ain't it?

Kyle401
09-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Bob clearly has the bye week blues.

B_Ambuehl
09-25-2006, 01:07 PM
What's really annoying is when they talk about things on the offensive side of the football that Herm is supposedly going to "change". Running the ball and time of possession are 2 that I really get a kick out of. Herms' gonna run the ball and eat up the clock...something that Vermeil never did. How many yards did Vermeil teams run for the last 5 years? How about Herm teams? How much TOP did Vermeil teams have the last 5 years? How about Herm teams.

Get your facts straight Gretz.

I personally would be much happier if they just came out and said, "Our Offensive line sux and we can't block anybody so now we have to go back to Martyball".

Instead of saying that they go through all these bullshit excuses and try to put a positive spin on everything and sell it to fans as a "change of philosophy" and this and that.

Nzoner
09-25-2006, 01:08 PM
I really don't care what he wears or that he polishes his shoes.

Agreed,the only thing I care about him wearing is a nice big ring after....aw hell who am I kidding.

Chiefnj
09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Neither do I.

And just think, we wouldn't have to read ONE WORD from Bob Gretz, Eileen Weird, Dufus, or any of the rest of them if people WOULD STOP POSTING IT HERE.

Ah, hypocrisy is such a great thing, ain't it?

I for one feel comforted knowing the organization cares so much for its fan base that it takes the time to share inside information on burning questions such as Herm's shoes and fig newton worship.

Basileus777
09-25-2006, 01:16 PM
This is easily one of the most disturbing football articles I have encountered.

htismaqe
09-25-2006, 01:20 PM
What's really annoying is when they talk about things on the offensive side of the football that Herm is supposedly going to "change". Running the ball and time of possession are 2 that I really get a kick out of. Herms' gonna run the ball and eat up the clock...something that Vermeil never did. How many yards did Vermeil teams run for the last 5 years? How about Herm teams? How much TOP did Vermeil teams have the last 5 years? How about Herm teams.

Get your facts straight Gretz.

I personally would be much happier if they just came out and said, "Our Offensive line sux and we can't block anybody so now we have to go back to Martyball".

Instead of saying that they go through all these bullshit excuses and try to put a positive spin on everything and sell it to fans as a "change of philosophy" and this and that.

How many times do you tell your customers "Hey we suck. We can't actually do that, so hey, if you want to buy it from somebody else, we won't care"?

Hammock Parties
09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Vermeil ate oreos.

FAX
09-25-2006, 01:26 PM
There once was an offense vacated
By our tackles which left fans deflated
But if it all goes to hell
It will yet turn out well
'Cause our figs are still refrigerated

FAX

Kyle401
09-25-2006, 01:49 PM
There once was an offense vacated
By our tackles which left fans deflated
But if it all goes to hell
It will yet turn out well
'Cause our figs are still refrigerated

FAXGreat Stuff! ROFL

the Talking Can
09-25-2006, 03:15 PM
epic gayness

Cormac
09-25-2006, 03:16 PM
If ever there was a use for this smilie, it is in response to that article.

:spock:

What absolute drivel.

Mr. Laz
09-25-2006, 03:18 PM
I wonder how much longer this BS is gonna go on?
it will go on until he leaves ...... then he become a worthless POS

just like Vermeil, just like Marty .... just like about every player that that has left the Chiefs to play for another team.

Imon Yourside
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Carl is quite clever disguising his material that's why everytime you see him interviewed he says the words "Quite Candidly" and doesn't allow gretzyboy to use either word.

RealSNR
09-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah, heaven forbid he do his job, for his employer...It's not about that. What do Herm's obsession with fig newtons have to do with his style of coaching or what is perceived?

It's just a poorly written article

Rausch
09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I for one feel comforted knowing the organization cares so much for its fan base that it takes the time to share inside information on burning questions such as Herm's shoes and fig newton worship.

You mean like LJ's crib?...

KcMizzou
09-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Eh, it's just a human interest story. No different than the last story of the night on your local nightly news. Harmless fluff.

I don't mind it.

NJ Chief Fan
09-25-2006, 05:23 PM
ehh...im a chips ahoy chewys fan myself

crispystl
09-25-2006, 05:28 PM
The Fig Newtons thing is a little creepy.......

WTF?

Thats what I was thinking.

Skip Towne
09-25-2006, 05:47 PM
I have no opinion on this story.

htismaqe
09-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Eh, it's just a human interest story. No different than the last story of the night on your local nightly news. Harmless fluff.

I don't mind it.

Human interest, schmuman interest...

If Gretz HAD posted something of substance, people would bitch about that too.

It doesn't matter WHAT Herm says, people are gonna bitch.

Logical
09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
I have no opinion on this story.Yup, if Herm in this story is no more or no less interesting, then there is not much to say.

FAX
09-25-2006, 09:40 PM
There once was a man named Rasputin
Who, psychically was quite astute and
Said the world would soon end.
Herm replied, "No sweat, friend.
Last time I checked I had Newtons"

FAX

ChiefFan31
09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Thats some cutting edge shit right there.

An article about what shoes Herm wears and Fig Newtons.

09-25-2006, 10:18 PM
I think it will continue at least until we score another touchdown, Mr. B_Ambuehl.

FAX

Ummmm, what is a touchdown? :hmmm:

ChiefsCountry
09-25-2006, 11:44 PM
I would like to see some of you guys write an article for your company's website blasting your boss and your product. See how well that would go over.

htismaqe
09-26-2006, 07:25 AM
I would like to see some of you guys write an article for your company's website blasting your boss and your product. See how well that would go over.

Yep.

Brock
09-26-2006, 07:27 AM
He has the job you all want, quit hatin'.

ExtremeChief
09-26-2006, 07:36 AM
There once was a man named Rasputin
Who, psychically was quite astute and
Said the world would soon end.
Herm replied, "No sweat, friend.
Last time I checked I had Newtons"

FAX

There once was a coach named Herman
Whose banter left people a squirmin'
Fig Newtons and shoes
Give Chiefs' fans the blues