PDA

View Full Version : What a rotten day!!

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Today being my 65th birthday I had a nice fishing trip planned, loaded the boat and the mutt and I jumped in the pickup and headed to the lake.
got back down the ramp, and the friggen boat motor wouldn't start, came home and found out that the guy that had serviced the motor last month had cross threaded one of the spark plugs and it wasn't even tight, got it out, but the threads in the block are stripped. somebody's going to feel my wrath. If I drank I would probably get smashed, thanks for letting me vent :banghead: :cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

Hammock Parties
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
I think Skip just passed the mantle of "Old Fuddy Duddy."

chagrin
09-25-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree, this day stinks!

BTW Happy Birthday dude, want some onions to go with those Liver spots?

wutamess
09-25-2006, 02:46 PM
You could get rep from RedRum69 explaining that your mom is like a stripped nutt...

Relax. It's 1 day out of the many you've had and the many more to come.

bogie
09-25-2006, 02:54 PM
"loaded the boat and the mutt and I jumped in the pickup"

You have a boat a mutt and a pick-up! quit your bitchin'!!
j/k Happy Birthday

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 02:55 PM
You could get rep from RedRum69 explaining that your mom is like a stripped nutt...

Relax. It's 1 day out of the many you've had and the many more to come.

my folks have been dead for years, so I guess it wouldn't matter

Brock
09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Not the worst thing that could have happened.

runnercyclist
09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
quitcherbitchin and have a beer ya old fuk

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Not the worst thing that could have happened.
It's obivious that you don't know what outboard motors run pricewise, about 3500.00 to replace this one or a repair bill of several hundred dollars plus the 240 mile round trip to the nearest repair shop.
I was in Neb. when I had it worked on, called the guy up and he said the guy that worked on it no longer worked there and he didn't know what he could do about it :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Skip Towne
09-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Sorry old timer.

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Sorry old timer.

SCREW YOU, YOU OLD A$$HOLE, WHEN DID THEY LET YOU OUT OF THE ''home''

Brock
09-25-2006, 03:18 PM
It's obivious that you don't know what outboard motors run pricewise, about 3500.00 to replace this one or a repair bill of several hundred dollars plus the 240 mile round trip to the nearest repair shop.
I was in Neb. when I had it worked on, called the guy up and he said the guy that worked on it no longer worked there and he didn't know what he could do about it :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Hey, I was just trying to make your old ass feel better. You want to wallow, be my guest.

Skip Towne
09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
SCREW YOU, YOU OLD A$$HOLE, WHEN DID THEY LET YOU OUT OF THE ''home''
Damn! Did you run out of Metamucil?

Skip Towne
09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Just get the proper tap and make some new threads.

HemiEd
09-25-2006, 03:22 PM
You should be able to re-tap the threads yourself, simple stuff if you take your time. I have a special tool just for that very thing. Happy Birthay.

Oh and one question, were you around when the Dead Sea was only sick?

KcMizzou
09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Happy B-day. Hope it improves from here.

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
You should be able to re-tap the threads yourself, simple stuff if you take your time. I have a special tool just for that very thing. Happy Birthay.

NO, but I remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor

p.s. the threads are shot you can stick the spark plug all the way in with out turning

FAX
09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm very sorry to learn of your misfortune, Mr. Buster's Dad.

But, happy birthday anyway. Perhaps more interesting things will strip for you later.

FAX

PastorMikH
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Couldn't you just duct tape the sparkplug in?

:shrug:

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey, I was just trying to make your old ass feel better. You want to wallow, be my guest.

I am not wallowing, but I am retired and on a fixed income and things liike this really put a crunch on things

JBucc
09-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Buy a paddle and start rowing you lazy ass

PastorMikH
09-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Get some JB weld, put it all around the spark plug's threads then hammer the plug back into the hole. Let it sit overnight and you should be fine for tommorow.

:thumb:

:)

PastorMikH
09-25-2006, 03:30 PM
What kind of boat/motor do you have?

PastorMikH
09-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Heh, I just remembered where you live. I would think finding enough water up there to float a boat would be a lot tougher than the sparkplug problem.

Kerberos
09-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Heliocoil

Can't you just tap it out ONE size over and put in a heliocoil?

If I remember correctly a friend of mine had to have one put on his Seadoo. Lots more compression than a boat motor so I would think it would hold. :hmmm:

HemiEd
09-25-2006, 03:36 PM

p.s. the threads are shot you can stick the spark plug all the way in with out turning

That must have sucked watching those Messershmidts attack Pearl!

Wow, I have never seen a head stripped out so bad I could not save it. Must be a pretty thin alluminum head? I have even Heli-Coiled them before. Sounds like yours might have to be replaced though.

Bowtie
09-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Maybe something like this will work

http://www.timesert.com/html/howtosp.html

Skip Towne
09-25-2006, 03:47 PM

He's so old it takes him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes.

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Heh, I just remembered where you live. I would think finding enough water up there to float a boat would be a lot tougher than the sparkplug problem.

Scott Co. lake is 12 miles north of town, 120 acres is spring fed, great fishing.
My boat is a 16 ft tri-hull with a 70hp johnson motor

PastorMikH
09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Scott Co. lake is 12 miles north of town, 120 acres is spring fed, great fishing.
My boat is a 16 ft tri-hull with a 70hp johnson motor

I hadn't heard of Scott lake. :hmmm: I do know of the one 20 miles east of GC and went there a few times but never had much luck.

In all seriousness, I would try the heli-coils the others have mentioned. You might also be able to talk to the local autoparts guy and get a similar heat range/application plug with a larger base then drill/tap out the plug hole to fit the new plug size.

I would DEFFINATELY take some precautionary steps though. First while you are drilling and tapping, run a shopvac as close to the plug hole as you can. Then I would turn the motor over several times with the plug out to blow out any shavings that might be left in the cylinder. Any shavings left in the cylinder will score the walls and hurt the compression.

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 04:13 PM
He's so old it takes him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes.

Your wrong, it takes 1 hr 45 minutes

Buster's Dad
09-25-2006, 05:19 PM
The only good thing about this week is that my son and I have tickets for the 49er /CHIEF'S game this sunday, our birthday presents from my wife, this is the 3rd year in a row for us, can't wait :clap: :clap:

TinyEvel
09-25-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry for ya. And While I was looking forward to the amusement of the hijacking of this thread into an age-bashing contest. I'm glad some guys are offering the retap/heliocoil option. That's what I was thinking, if the only damage is the cross-threading/stripping. Any machine shop worth its salt can fix that for very little dough.

And as far as the "not that bad" comments. My friend at work just visited his Aunt who pulled the life support plug on her 65 year-old husband today. He had an anneurism out of nowhere two weeks ago.

Easy 6
09-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Congrats on another year in the books. Orange ya' glad to be on the Planet, sounds like alot of common sense fix ideas coming your way.

cdcox
09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Just remember, "The worst day of fishing beats the best day of work!"

big nasty kcnut
09-25-2006, 06:00 PM
happy birthday Buster's Dad

Skip Towne
09-25-2006, 06:13 PM
I hadn't heard of Scott lake. :hmmm: I do know of the one 20 miles east of GC and went there a few times but never had much luck.

In all seriousness, I would try the heli-coils the others have mentioned. You might also be able to talk to the local autoparts guy and get a similar heat range/application plug with a larger base then drill/tap out the plug hole to fit the new plug size.

I would DEFFINATELY take some precautionary steps though. First while you are drilling and tapping, run a shopvac as close to the plug hole as you can. Then I would turn the motor over several times with the plug out to blow out any shavings that might be left in the cylinder. Any shavings left in the cylinder will score the walls and hurt the compression.
We call that an Oklahoma Bore Job.

PastorMikH
09-25-2006, 06:22 PM
We call that an Oklahoma Bore Job.

Poor folks got poor ways, but it usually works when they get done fixin' it.

Moon§hiner
09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Happy Birthday Buster's Dad from a Scott City Bronco fan...must kill you to have a 70 horse motor and can't make a wake at Scott Lake though. :)

Psyko Tek
09-25-2006, 08:10 PM

erf you are ****ed,
can you hela-coil a block?

Iowanian
09-25-2006, 08:44 PM
relax buddy...its birthday BJ night.

My last trip didn't go much better....until the girl was bucked off the horse into the water in front of me. that helped.

blueballs
09-25-2006, 08:48 PM
65 is Jordan Black's number
you'll feel run over all year

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't blame it on the mechanic. You probably have sugar in the gas, that will cause the plugs to strip every time, better take a swig to check!

Buster's Dad
09-26-2006, 01:35 PM
erf you are ****ed,
can you hela-coil a block?

Found a guy here in town and he is rethreading it and putting in a heli-coil as we speak, hope it works, my grand daughter is visiting this week and she wants to drive ''pa-pa's boat'' :clap:

Iowanian
09-26-2006, 01:50 PM
If that doesn't work, I guess you'll have to put 10 gallons of gas in the hull, set it afloat and light it with a flaming arrow.

She'll think that is cool too.

kcbronco
09-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Got to do my first post here.

I thought the only one's going to Scott Lake anymore were the Garden City "rejects"? I grew up and my parents farm north of Marienthal (pop. 100, salute). How about the Beavers (Scott City's mascot, ha) spanking up on Ulysses two weeks ago?

And yes I am a Bronco fan living in KC. Usually stay on the Mane, but I come to this site for some good comic relief.

bogie
09-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Found a guy here in town and he is rethreading it and putting in a heli-coil as we speak, hope it works, my grand daughter is visiting this week and she wants to drive ''pa-pa's boat'' :clap:

Whatever it takes... get it fixed!!

Buster's Dad
09-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Got to do my first post here.

I thought the only one's going to Scott Lake anymore were the Garden City "rejects"? I grew up and my parents farm north of Marienthal (pop. 100, salute). How about the Beavers (Scott City's mascot, ha) spanking up on Ulysses two weeks ago?

And yes I am a Bronco fan living in KC. Usually stay on the Mane, but I come to this site for some good comic relief.
just on weekends, middle of the week it's empty, can't afford the gas to go to ceder bluff

Skip Towne
09-26-2006, 02:59 PM
just on weekends, middle of the week it's empty, can't afford the gas to go to ceder bluff
Money's no problem. I'll help you out. Will $100 be enough? I'll PM it to you.

Chiefnj
09-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I went fishing at Scott Lake yesterday - unbelievable. I've never had fishing so good in my life. It's like they were jumping in the boat. 2 lb slab crappies, 5 lb largemouths. It didn't matter what you threw at them.

It was one of those once in a lifetime days on the water that never, ever, repeats itself. My arms are sore from all the reeling, I can barely type.

Skip Towne
09-26-2006, 03:05 PM
I went fishing at Scott Lake yesterday - unbelievable. I've never had fishing so good in my life. It's like they were jumping in the boat. 2 lb slab crappies, 5 lb largemouths. It didn't matter what you threw at them.

It was one of those once in a lifetime days on the water that never, ever, repeats itself. My arms are sore from all the reeling, I can barely type.
........And the sky was black with birds. Sounds like a fish story.

Buster's Dad
09-26-2006, 03:12 PM

[SIZE=7] AND YOU CAN GO TO HELL FOR LYING !!! :cuss:

bogie
09-26-2006, 03:47 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've been hunting or fishing and someone says "you should have been here yesterday"
ROFL

Ralphy Boy
09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
I can relate.
This morning I got up early for work-related-golf, drove an hour north and hit some real good balls on the range before we started. I could tell it was shaping up to be a pretty good day. My first shot off the tee was the best in our group, as was my follow up shot which landed 6' off the green. My partner hit into a dry creekbed and I tried to retrieve it for him. Ended up doing a Jive Talkin/John Travolta split wherein I heard a "pop" as my left ankle went backward and my left knee hit in front.

Been hurting every since and the worst part is I was unable to finish the game.

chief husker
09-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Today being my 65th birthday I had a nice fishing trip planned, loaded the boat and the mutt and I jumped in the pickup and headed to the lake.
got back down the ramp, and the friggen boat motor wouldn't start, came home and found out that the guy that had serviced the motor last month had cross threaded one of the spark plugs and it wasn't even tight, got it out, but the threads in the block are stripped. somebody's going to feel my wrath. If I drank I would probably get smashed, thanks for letting me vent :banghead: :cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

That's OK. I just sold my Cadillac Eldorado for $650 scrap. Totaled. Why? Because I spent last night in the hospital with my daughter after she rolled the thing. She is OK. Why did she go out? To help her friends that were also in a serious rollover (dude lost an ear) (later attached). Lost a car. Insurance premiums will skyrocket. Hospital and ambulance bills will go over $5000. Will have to shuttle my daughter around. Having my kid safe, priceless.