PDA

View Full Version : Mother trucker.....

Hoover
09-26-2006, 05:34 PM
So I get home from the office tonight and my wife informs me the small law firm she joined don't think its working out for them, and told her she shoudl start looking for other employment.

The good news is she didn't get fired, she can stay working there till she finds another job. This just sucks, we just bought our house a year ago and I was about to make a career change. Ugh.....

Please say a few prayers she is very down.

FAX
09-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Mr. Hoover.

What were their expectations of her?

FAX

JBucc
09-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Time to start your own law firm

09-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear about that Hoover..Geez,The timing really sucks(Just buying the house)

God bless you and your wife..And here's hoping everything turns around for the best!!!

Hoover
09-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Mr. Hoover.

What were their expectations of her?

FAX
Thats what I asked. She has done everything that was asked of her. Basically they didn't make as much money off of her as they would have liked. Well guess what, neither did we. She had a 5 year partnership plan, and she took way less money in years 1-5 knowing that it would pay off in the long run.

MichaelH
09-26-2006, 05:43 PM
This is further proof that lawyers are bloodsucking vampires.

FAX
09-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Thats what I asked. She has done everything that was asked of her. Basically they didn't make as much money off of her as they would have liked. Well guess what, neither did we. She had a 5 year partnership plan, and she took way less money in years 1-5 knowing that it would pay off in the long run.

Dang. How long was she into the plan, Mr. Hoover?

FAX

Hoover
09-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Only a year

StcChief
09-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Freakin' lawyers. aren't making as much as they would like from her?

So she's not duplicate/spread/ grazing her hours up
to increase the billing....

Fish
09-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Broncos fans > Lawyers

stevieray
09-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Doors close so others can open..tell her to think positve and keep a positive attitude. Give her a HUUUUUUUUGE hug first, though. She doesn't want you to fix it, just to care.

It'll work out.

Hoover
09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Doors close so others can open..tell her to think positve and keep a positive attitude. Give her a HUUUUUUUUGE hug first, though. She doesn't want you to fix it, just to care.

It'll work out.
I know, thats why I'm coming here to vent, especially about our house.

blueballs
09-26-2006, 06:05 PM
screwing a lawyer
bonus rep points should roll your way

Hoover
09-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Plus she is smoking hot!

Skip Towne
09-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Starting your own firm sounds good to me. She can become a supreme thorn in their ass.

Simplex3
09-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Can't she just sue them? That's what lawyers are always doing.

Skip Towne
09-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Plus she is smoking hot!
Pics?

Hoover
09-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Pics?
Ummmm sorry dude. I posted our wedding picture and Big Daddy went nuts.

Skip Towne
09-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Ummmm sorry dude. I posted our wedding picture and Big Daddy went nuts.
But...but...but I want to go nuts.

Rain Man
09-27-2006, 08:31 AM
I know it's bad news now, but truthfully it's better to have it happen in a year, which is pretty quickly, than to have them string her along for five years with no expectation of offering her a partnership.

Hoover
09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
I agree. The only bad thing is if we didn't have the house we would be more flexable in terms of moving. She will prtobable end up in Des Moines which is only a stong hour from our house.

Baby Lee
09-27-2006, 10:11 AM
What is her practice area?

Hoover
09-27-2006, 10:16 AM
She has only been out of law school for a year (Top 3rd at Iowa), and was going general practice stuff. Lots of family law.

Demonpenz
09-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Everytime I hear of a solid worker getting the boot at a job they always seem to land on their feet at a better job. I am sure it will work out.

Fire Me Boy!
09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Broncos fans > Lawyers
I don't know if I'd go that far. Seriously, though... sorry to hear about it. What might cheer her up is some sincere compliments from CP. Post a pic of her in a bikini. We'll take over from there.

el borracho
09-27-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't want to sound like a jerk but... big deal. She still has her job and now she knows to look for another job. If her next lawyer gig is too far from the house you are currently in simply sell the house and move to where the job is.

Your story reminds me of my friend's uncle (also a lawyer). Over lunch one afternoon he tells us the story of the year he had to "re-invent the wheel" by which he meant that he had sold his house in Denver and moved to Hawaii where he "re-invented the wheel" by living on "only $80,000 that year." He went on and on for about 10 minutes telling us how he had to "re-invent the wheel" that year to "survive on only $80,000 dollars that year" while I sat thinking, "boo-freakin'-hoo. Poor little lawyer has to live on only $80,000 dollars a year."

Hoover
09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't want to sound like a jerk but... big deal. She still has her job and now she knows to look for another job. If her next lawyer gig is too far from the house you are currently in simply sell the house and move to where the job is.

Your story reminds me of my friend's uncle (also a lawyer). Over lunch one afternoon he tells us the story of the year he had to "re-invent the wheel" by which he meant that he had sold his house in Denver and moved to Hawaii where he "re-invented the wheel" by living on "only $80,000 that year." He went on and on for about 10 minutes telling us how he had to "re-invent the wheel" that year to "survive on only $80,000 dollars that year" while I sat thinking, "boo-freakin'-hoo. Poor little lawyer has to live on only $80,000 dollars a year."
Look, I'm here yelling that the sky is falling, I'm just saying that this sucks for us.

What worries me is that we bought a house is a small town because we thought we would live in it forever. We got our house for a song because it was on the market for 9 plus months. Its not going to be easy for us to sell it if we need too.

I'm not asking people to feel bad for us, but my wife is very depressed and has a ton of Law School debt.

patteeu
09-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Better now than in year 5 when the partnership issue comes up. I know it's probably pretty hard for her right now, but most people I know who have been laid off ended up in a better situation down the road as a result of it. Be strong, try not to sweat it too much, and it will work out for both of you. Good luck.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I agree. The only bad thing is if we didn't have the house we would be more flexable in terms of moving. She will prtobable end up in Des Moines which is only a stong hour from our house.

Why move? unless she drives a F-350 an hour drive to work is not bad....I work 12 hour days ad drive an hour to and from

BucEyedPea
09-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Can't she just sue them? ...

Took the words right outta my mouth. Sue them for fraud and breach of contract! :thumb: :grr:

Joking aside, I'm sure she'll be fine Hoover. :)
If she sets up her own practice, she should at least try to steal their clients. :evil:

luv
09-27-2006, 12:58 PM
If she'd get fired for the reason they're telling her, she'd get unemployment and have the daytime hours to look for another job. Now she has to work as well as look for another job. No fun. And what is she putting down on her application as the reason for leaving her prior employer? "They told me to look for another job." They call there for a reference, and they'll just tell the new company she quit. Technically, she did, so they wouldn't be lying.

BucEyedPea
09-27-2006, 01:02 PM
They call there for a reference, and they'll just tell the new company she quit. Technically, she did, so they wouldn't be lying.

Yep lawyerese designed to trap you. Sly foxes I tell 'ya! :grr: