PDA

View Full Version : do you pick up stranded people/hitchhikers

blueballs
09-26-2006, 06:27 PM
probably depends on the situation
or the person

Hydrae
09-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Not so much that but I have stopped on several occassions to help push someone their car to the side of the road or offer other forms of assistance.

runnercyclist
09-26-2006, 07:34 PM
I'd help.

Bugeater
09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
No, I just honk, point and laugh and keep on driving.

trndobrd
09-26-2006, 07:50 PM
The authorities generally won't spend much time investigating the disappearance of a hitchhiker.

KcMizzou
09-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Gaz in a Mizzou jacket, of course.

Adept Havelock
09-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Only if I need more soup stock.

Easy 6
09-26-2006, 08:14 PM
That was the answer i was trying ti think up Havelock...LOL

Marcellus
09-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Usually I drive up and ask "You need a lift"?

If they say yes I yell "stick a jack up your ass" and drive off.

That's just me though. :shrug:

eChief
09-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I have picked up two hitchhikers when traveling alone. Each time I felt like I was putting myself in jeopardy when I picked them up. Before I dropped them off I bought them a meal and gave them $10 to continue their travels on.

Once there were two of us traveling for the company I worked for, we were heading to Boston in February. It weather was was mixed rain and snow. There was a guy looking for a ride on the interstate entry. We figured between the two of us we could handle the guy, he looked small. I got out of the truck and let the guy in. turns out that it was a young female heading to Boston. She talked for a while and her accent was so bad that I couldn't understand most of what she said. It was good for us that she fell asleep quickly. We booted her as soon as we could when we hit the city limits.

Haven't picked one up in more than 10 years.

Skip Towne
09-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Sure I pick up hitchhikers. Then I mug them and throw them in the nearest ravine. Hitchhiking is dangerous.

Eleazar
09-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I think the winner here would be Gaz in a bikini.

Halfcan
09-26-2006, 09:07 PM
nope

NJ Chief Fan
09-26-2006, 09:07 PM
No, I just honk, point and laugh and keep on driving.
ROFL

beavis
09-26-2006, 09:31 PM
7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby.

blueballs
09-26-2006, 09:37 PM
passing up a stranded person/ hithiker is the 8th deadly sin?

blueballs
09-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I will hi-jack my own thread
and turn it in to a attention whore thread

blueballs
09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
gochiefs and Skip

blueballs
09-26-2006, 10:00 PM
is Hootie the new Mecca?

09-26-2006, 10:03 PM
I will hi-jack my own thread
and turn it in to a attention whore thread

blueballs
09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Chad Johnson said a bottle of pepto
was in the mail

Bugeater
09-26-2006, 10:09 PM

09-26-2006, 10:10 PM

blueballs
09-26-2006, 10:23 PM
m

Frazod
09-26-2006, 10:27 PM
About 20 years ago, I was driving through West Virginia in the middle of the night. I was east of Charleston on Route 60 (this is before Interstate 64 was completed) on a rare flat stretch of road. It was absolutely pitch black, no moon, stars or lights anywhere other than my headlights.

I spotted a body laying on the shoulder of the road. I slowed down - it just looked like the person was asleep. There was no visable blood or any signs of violence.

This was obviously long before the days of cellphones, and I didn't have a CB. I was alone and unarmed in dark desolate country in the middle of the night. I don't know if the guy was dead or alive; I don't know if my not stopping and rendering assistance caused him harm. But I sure as hell wasn't going to stop in the middle of Deliverance Land to find out. When I got to the next town I called the police and told them about it. I'll never know what happened. Hopefully it was just some hitchhiker taking a nap, but it could just as easily have been some creep (or multiple creeps, the others hiding) waiting for somebody to come along who was dumb enough to stop.

No, I don't pick up hitchhikers. Never have, never will.

el borracho
09-27-2006, 01:50 AM
No. I figure if you are a good person all your life you probably have someone to call when you're in need.

ChiefFan31
09-27-2006, 02:38 AM
No, I have not. Come to think of it, I cannot remember when the last time I saw a hitchhiker. They would probably get run over by some dumbass out here if they were standing by the side of the road.

I did pull over and gave a guy a ride once to the gas station. He had a bad ass old hot rod. Wish I remember what kind of car it was.

It might have been one of those PT Cruisers <-----Major Sarcasm

greg63
09-27-2006, 05:49 AM
I have in the past, but didn't feel real comfortable doing it.

BucEyedPea
09-27-2006, 07:20 AM
ALL the time!

Last year of HS and in college. Summers on Cape Cod (beach area) with people my age everywhere doin' it. We always picked up cute guys who had free alcohol to pay us with. Heck we met a whole lot of new people this way and got to go to many parties.

Kyle401
09-27-2006, 08:37 AM
I frequently stop to assist people who are having vehicle trouble. Often this involves a ride or use of my cell phone.

I have also given rides to several transients/hitchhikers when I was by myself. I never stop for these people when I have my wife with me. I'm not a really imposing guy, but I am 6'2" and 195 lbs and I feel that I can handle myself pretty well. Of course it never hurts to have a .45 tucked just out of sight in the drivers side door pocket either. Often I will put the pistol under my left leg before picking up a rough looking hitchhiker. If things started seeming a little off, I have always planned to pull over kill the engine, take the keys out while opening my door and pulling the gun. Fortunately, I have never felt the least bit threatened.

Oddly enough, a lot of people who are walking along major highways will refuse rides. It seems that many of them are just as worried about being mugged by someone offering a ride as people are of being mugged by hitchhikers.

Rain Man
09-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Last year of HS and in college. Summers on Cape Cod (beach area) with people my age everywhere doin' it. We always picked up cute guys who had free alcohol to pay us with. Heck we met a whole lot of new people this way and got to go to many parties.

Didn't your mother ever tell you that there are Kennedys on Cape Cod? You're a very lucky woman.

Rain Man
09-27-2006, 08:40 AM
I frequently stop to assist people who are having vehicle trouble. Often this involves a ride or use of my cell phone.

I have also given rides to several transients/hitchhikers when I was by myself. I never stop for these people when I have my wife with me. I'm not a really imposing guy, but I am 6'2" and 195 lbs and I feel that I can handle myself pretty well. Of course it never hurts to have a .45 tucked just out of sight in the drivers side door pocket either. Often I will put the pistol under my left leg before picking up a rough looking hitchhiker. If things started seeming a little off, I have always planned to pull over kill the engine, take the keys out while opening my door and pulling the gun. Fortunately, I have never felt the least bit threatened.

Oddly enough, a lot of people who are walking along major highways will refuse rides. It seems that many of them are just as worried about being mugged by someone offering a ride as people are of being mugged by hitchhikers.

Either that, or you need to hide your pistol better when you make the offer.

Kyle401
09-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Either that, or you need to hide your pistol better when you make the offer.

:evil: Well it wasn't really my pistol that scared off the teenage girl in the bikini... but I can see why she'd think that it was!

BucEyedPea
09-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Didn't your mother ever tell you that there are Kennedys on Cape Cod? You're a very lucky woman.
:LOL: Kennedys pu and drive others around. We always excluded Kennedys. Anyhoo, they were in Hyannisport and we weren't! :D