PDA

View Full Version : Romanowski now a Football Coach for 12 year olds

Mojo Rising
09-27-2006, 06:20 PM
They just interviewed the guy who hired him on the local sports talk radio. The guy sounded like an idiot. He said he had a 2 hour conversation with Romo before hiring him and said, "He was a good guy."

The radio hosts were pretty rough on the guy. The 1st caller was someone from the same area who pulled his kid from the program because of Romo. He said they was a rift between starstruck parents and parents who wanted a good role model.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/27/BAGT3LDI2D1.DTL&hw=romanowski&sn=001&sc=1000

Bad-boy linebacker Bill Romanowski made his return to Bay Area football this fall as coach of his 12-year-old son's flag football team -- but only two games into the season, an on-field confrontation with a youngster on an opposing team has put the former 49er and Raider's job at risk.

The question is -- is he getting a bum rap because of his rep?

Romanowski, 40, who retired from the NFL in 2004, got into it last week with a seventh-grader from Lafayette who he felt was playing dirty against his Piedmont Highlanders, according to several people who were watching the game at a Lafayette middle school.

Romanowski's verbal outburst has prompted the Piedmont Recreation Department to reconsider whether it wants him to continue at the helm of its top-flight entry in a seventh-grade recreation league that plays mostly in Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

"I'm very concerned, and we are dealing with it,'' said Mark Delventhal, director of the rec department.

Piedmont officials knew what they were getting when Romanowski volunteered to coach the Highlanders. On the one hand, they were getting a 16-year pro football veteran who, during his time with the Raiders, 49ers, Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles, earned four Super Bowl rings, made two Pro Bowls and appeared in 243 consecutive NFL games.

On the other hand, they were getting a longtime advocate of nutritional supplements who once tested positive for "the clear," an anabolic steroid allegedly provided to elite athletes by Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, or BALCO, of Burlingame. Company founder Victor Conte once allegedly told authorities that Romanowski was the first person to whom he distributed performance-enhancing drugs.

In 2003, as his playing days were winding down, Romanowski slugged Raiders teammate Marcus Williams during a practice, leaving the reserve tight end with a broken eye socket and blurry vision. Romanowski wound up paying $415,000 to settle Williams' lawsuit over the injury.

It was the last in a long line of inflammatory episodes, the most notorious of which may have been the time Romanowski spit in the face of 49ers wide receiver J.J. Stokes during a 1997 game.

But the seventh-graders on the Piedmont team were excited about having a real NFL pro coach them, and the Recreation Department bosses got calls from half a dozen parents in support of Romanowski. That was enough to persuade them to assign him to his son's team.

Which brings us to Thursday, when the Highlanders traveled through the Caldecott Tunnel to face a team at Lafayette's Stanley Middle School.

Witnesses say both sides were playing rough, and that Romanowski complained at halftime to the Lafayette team's coach.

Late in the game, one of the Lafayette kids tripped a Piedmont player -- or so it apparently seemed to Romanowski. People who were there say Coach Romo got in the face of the Lafayette seventh-grader, accusing him of playing dirty.

"That's cheating, and you can't win by cheating,'' Romanowski told the boy, according to the mom of one of the Piedmont players.

"It felt inappropriate -- but not scarily inappropriate,'' said the mom, who didn't want to be quoted by named. Another parent called it "bad coach behavior" but nothing way over the line.

Romanowski defended his conduct, saying he first became alarmed when his kids came off the field at halftime "with scratches on their necks, some bleeding, some bruised, and with cuts and scrapes -- every one of them.''

He said they had complained that a Lafayette player was responsible "and nothing is being done.''

So Romanowski said he had marched over to the Lafayette coach, who was huddled with his team, and let him know that "I would appreciate it if you would do something with your guy. ... Let's keep the game clean and within the rules.''

Then, late in the game, the same Lafayette player "leg whipped'' one of his players, who went down, Romanowski said. He went onto the field to check on his crying player, he said, then "walked over to the (Lafayette) boy and said, 'Buddy, I warned your coach at halftime this kind of stuff doesn't belong out here. You hurt my kid.' ''

Piedmont assistant coach Jason Curliano backed up Romanowski's version of events, saying Romanowski had even warned his own players earlier that if they retaliated, "you are not playing for the team.''

Curliano said Romanowski even hung around after the game, signing autographs for the Lafayette players.

But Adam Perry, the athletic director at Stanley Middle School, says his coach complained that Romanowski had charged onto the field against league rules. Perry fired off an e-mail to Piedmont officials letting them know that Romanowski would be barred from the field when the two teams meet again in Lafayette on Oct. 19.

"He should have known better -- he's played all his life,'' Perry said. "Coaches should be under control and shouldn't be coming on the field."

The matter is now in the hands of Piedmont rec boss Delventhal, who said he planned to have a sit-down with Romanowski this morning to talk about the Lafayette episode and his future.

Delventhal declined to get into specifics, calling it a personnel matter.

Incidentally, there were no video cameras filming Thursday's action -- no doubt if there had been, the footage would have shown up on the Internet by now.

"But you can be sure next time there will be 30 parents with video cameras,'' Perry said.

Calcountry
09-27-2006, 06:25 PM
"That's cheating, and you can't win by cheating,'' Romanowski told the boy, according to the mom of one of the Piedmont players.

ROFL.

Just what do you think taking Roids is Mr. Homo NOW ski?

Phobia
09-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Who let the fox in the henhouse?

JBucc
09-27-2006, 06:29 PM
I'd rather have Snoop Dogg coach my sons team than that cheatin bastard

teedubya
09-27-2006, 06:31 PM
id rather have that hot chick teacher who bones her students teach my son, instead of Romo teaching him football.

Bob Dole
09-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Bob Dole could see someone hiring him as a high school coach, but a 7th grade rec league?

No way...

chagrin
09-27-2006, 06:38 PM
I seem to remember getting pushed, tripped, scratched and other shit by members of several teams we payed against in school, I don't see what he got all worked up, about...oh yeah, it's Romo, well then these people should not be suprised at all by this guy's actions.

Frazod
09-27-2006, 06:41 PM

ROFL.

Just what do you think taking Roids is Mr. Homo NOW ski?

No shit. That's like Hitler chastizing bin Laden for hating Jews.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2006, 06:43 PM
WTF?? Nobody should ever let that roid freak around impressionable children.

Adept Havelock
09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Ok kids, this is how you mask the 'roids....

PunkinDrublic
09-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Romo should not only not be allowed to coach he should have to register with the state and not be allowed to live within 500 feet of any Pee wee league field.

JohnnyV13
09-27-2006, 10:26 PM
I think its an excellent choice.

Its never to early for a young player to learn how to punch out his teammates and juice up his body.

I mean, if we don't teach them properly, how can we expect them to excell at these critical skills by the time they reach the NFL?

ZootedGranny
09-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Just wait until Mark Chmura starts coaching.

Fish
09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
And don't forget to sign up for Hulk's Anger Management class...

ChiefFan31
09-28-2006, 12:47 AM
No shit. That's like Hitler chastizing bin Laden for hating Jews.

Well put.

****ing Romo, that guy is a joke. What a shock this is the first I am hearing about him being a coach, and of course included in the article is a story where Romo has already gotten in the face of some kid. What a jackoff. I find it to be quite humorous.

CoMoChief
09-28-2006, 01:00 AM
I'd rather have Snoop Dogg coach my sons team than that cheatin bastard

Really?!?!? I would much rather have my kids play a game all juiced up rather than them play the game completely high off their asses. hah

Phobia
09-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Just wait until Mark Chmura starts coaching.

high school volleyball.

BWillie
09-28-2006, 01:49 AM
I bet Romo is putting HGH in their gatorade. Those are gonna be some big mean kids by the time they hit high school. I'll have to contact Mangino and have him recruit some of them