PDA

View Full Version : Possible Orioles no-hitter

tk13
09-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Heads up on ESPN 2. Daniel Cabrera has thrown a no-hitter through 8 innings against the Yankees of all teams. Actually the score is 7-1. Bobby Abreu reached on an error and ended up going all the way around the bases due to passed balls/errors.

Bottom of the 9th coming up here in a couple minutes, ESPN 2.

tk13
09-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Johnny Damon grounds out. 1 out.

tk13
09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
And Robinson Cano singles. I'm bad luck.

tk13
09-28-2006, 07:56 PM
And a double play, game over. Cabrera threw a one-hitter in Yankee stadium against the Yankees. Pretty tough. Just gave up a little weak single to Cano.

KCWolfman
09-28-2006, 08:35 PM
I have wondered for the last several years. I keep hearing that the game and equipment haven't changed that much in any major sport and the reason that so many records have been broken are because athletes are stronger and faster.

Which, IMO, may be partially true. However, why is it that only offensive records are being smashed. When is the last time a no-hitter was thrown? If batters are stronger and faster, why aren't pitchers?

09-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I have wondered for the last several years. I keep hearing that the game and equipment haven't changed that much in any major sport and the reason that so many records have been broken are because athletes are stronger and faster.

Which, IMO, may be partially true. However, why is it that only offensive records are being smashed. When is the last time a no-hitter was thrown? If batters are stronger and faster, why aren't pitchers?

Well,I think the pitchers are 1)being ''coddled''2)breaking down,because of too much strain on their joints
It's alot easier to be a dominant hitter than a dominant pitcher in the big leagues..

When Roger Clemens first turned Andy Pettite on to his work out regime,Pettite was huffing and puffing..The pitchers just don't have the same work ethic

Coach
09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Bill Parcells pretty much nailed it on the head. Pitchers today are being restricted with pitch counts along with throwing alot of breaking balls which causes tremendous strain on their elbows/shoulder.

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2006, 09:38 PM

Which, IMO, may be partially true. However, why is it that only offensive records are being smashed. When is the last time a no-hitter was thrown? If batters are stronger and faster, why aren't pitchers?More muscle doesn't make you throw harder or make your pitches break more sharply.

KCWolfman
09-29-2006, 01:11 AM
More muscle doesn't make you throw harder or make your pitches break more sharply.
More muscle would make you throw harder. Yet no one still pitches consistently faster than Nolan Ryan did in the 70s.

Also why isn't anyone ever chasing .400 if they are better players today and the pitchers are not? What about a clear cut triple crown winner?

As far as that goes the same argument can be made of football. The offensive records are challenged on an annual basis, yet most of the defensive ones go by the wayside year after year.

IMO, the players are not better as much as the rules and tools are consistently modified to give an edge to the offense

MIAdragon
09-29-2006, 02:49 AM

last month by a rookie from the Marilns.