PDA

View Full Version : Buck's condition getting worse

BTAU
09-29-2006, 02:39 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Negro leagues great Buck O'Neil took a turn for the worse late Thursday but was resting comfortably in a Kansas City hospital Friday, friends said.

The 94-year-old O'Neil was admitted to the hospital Sept. 17 with extreme fatigue. O'Neil, one of the driving forces in the creation of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, has lost his voice and can only whisper.

Bob Kendrick, marketing director for the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City, said Friday that since O'Neil took a turn for the worse Thursday night there had been no change in his condition.

"The last report I got was that he was still very much aware of what's going on around him," Kendrick said. "We hope that remains the same and the outlook will be good."

A former Negro leagues batting champion and player-manager with the Kansas City Monarchs, O'Neil holds many distinctions in his long career. In February, he fell one vote short of induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2607124

Reaper16
09-29-2006, 02:41 PM
:(

PunkinDrublic
09-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Those HOF voters who voted for that female owner of some baseball team over Buck should all have their asses kicked if Buck doesn't live to see himself make it in.

Pitt Gorilla
09-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Those HOF voters who voted for that female owner of some baseball team over Buck should all have their asses kicked if Buck doesn't live to see himself make it in.I don't care who they voted for. I don't understand them not voting for Buck. That guy is the definition of class.

PunkinDrublic
09-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't care who they voted for. I don't understand them not voting for Buck. That guy is the definition of class.

Nobodys don more to try and preserve the memory of Negro league players. Even with death at his doorstep he's still trying to get a lot of things done.

jAZ
09-29-2006, 03:46 PM
In February, he fell one vote short of induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
:#

RP_McMurphy
09-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Buck will always be a Hall Of Famer to this baseball fan. I don't care if Cooperstown realizes it at all. True baseball fans know what he has brought to the game and the impact he has made.

Reaper16
09-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Buck not getting in was just the stupidest thing in my eyes. It invalidated the whole HoF for me.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Buck not getting in was just the stupidest thing in my eyes. It invalidated the whole HoF for me.

Who the hell votes anyway?? A bunch of tubby, overweight sportswriters who have never even picked up a bat?? What a crime...