PDA

View Full Version : Boulevard makes a darn good pale ale

cdcox
09-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I moved from KC just before Boulevard opened, so I've only been able to sample the Pale Ale on a few occasions, but always enjoyed it. I brought a 12-pack with me back from KC last time I was there, and have compared it against Bass (which I consider a good Pale Ale) and Sam Adam Oktoberfest (not a pale ale, but similar body, balance and hop level and a brew I look forward to every year). I have to say, Boulevard pale ale puts both to shame.

Very tasty on a fall day, sitting out on the deck.

TinyEvel
09-30-2006, 03:53 PM
I've noticed the recent proliferation of Fat Tire everywhere I go.
I like it. Though, as a cyclist, I might be biased. Thoughts?

Demonpenz
09-30-2006, 03:54 PM
pale ale is darker than the wheat i am confused

cdcox
09-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I've noticed the recent proliferation of Fat Tire everywhere I go.
I like it. Though, as a cyclist, I might be biased. Thoughts?

I've always heard good things about Fat Tire, but haven't run across it in my travels.

Hammock Parties
09-30-2006, 04:25 PM
the boulevard pale ale is ok. I love fat tire quite a bit, but my favorite would have to be blue moon, no contest.

gblowfish
09-30-2006, 04:28 PM
I think the Schlafly Pale Ale from St. Louis is better.
http://www.schlafly.com/brewpubs.shtml

Boulevard Wheat Beer is the best Wheat IMO.

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 04:30 PM
pale ale is darker than the wheat i am confused
Pale ale was developed in an age where porters and stouts were the only beers available in Great Britain. They were paler than those beers thus the name. FWIW, I'm okay with the Boulevard version but it's not as hoppy as I prefer.

Adept Havelock
09-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Not much of a Pale Ale fan, but I drink Guinness to produce Coors. :shrug:

cdcox
09-30-2006, 04:32 PM
I think the Schlafly Pale Ale from St. Louis is better.
http://www.schlafly.com/brewpubs.shtml

Boulevard Wheat Beer is the best Wheat IMO.

American-style wheat's are one on the least interesting sytles, but I agree that Boulevards' version is tasty. I prefer the the German Hefewizen style for wheat beers.

cdcox
09-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Pale ale was developed in an age where porters and stouts were the only beers available in Great Britain. They were paler than those beers thus the name. FWIW, I'm okay with the Boulevard version but it's not as hoppy as I prefer.

It's funny, because one of my very favorite pale ales is SN, which is quite hoppy.

Hammock Parties
09-30-2006, 04:36 PM
American-style wheat's are one on the least interesting sytles, but I agree that Boulevards' version is tasty. I prefer the the German Hefewizen style for wheat beers.

I tried that stuff a month or so ago, and it is one of my favorites. Im beginning to love wheat beer a ton more than any other kind. but its actually made by either coors or anheiser(sp), they bought them out.

Hammock Parties
09-30-2006, 04:43 PM
what I have been doing for the past couple of months now is I have been trying out every type of beer possible and collection one bottle of each of the beers i have tried, and I am beginning to love beer quite a bit. I love trying out beer that nobody has ever heard of and stuff like that

cdcox
09-30-2006, 04:49 PM
I tried that stuff a month or so ago, and it is one of my favorites. Im beginning to love wheat beer a ton more than any other kind. but its actually made by either coors or anheiser(sp), they bought them out.

Are you still referring to Blue Moon? Coors bought them out. It's not a bad brew.

Try Aventinus Weizenbok. It is a wheat beer, but huge. I've seen it in several KC liquor stores. It runs about 8% alcohol and will blow you away with the bananna/clove aroma. A great beer.

Bwana
09-30-2006, 05:01 PM
It's not bad, but try Alaskan Pale Ale.

Dark Horse
09-30-2006, 05:04 PM
you guys are making me thirsty

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 05:36 PM
It's funny, because one of my very favorite pale ales is SN, which is quite hoppy.
Have you ever tried Bell's Two Hearted Ale? (http://www.bellsbeer.com/branddetail.asp?BrandID=6) It's gotta be my favorite pales ever. I love Centennial hops. I brew a nice clone of it too.

cdcox
09-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Have you ever tried Bell's Two Hearted Ale? (http://www.bellsbeer.com/branddetail.asp?BrandID=6) It's gotta be my favorite pales ever. I love Centennial hops. I brew a nice clone of it too.

Unfortunately, no. Beer selection is pretty limited around here. We get a few of the big imports, a few of the big micros, like SN, and a few local micros. Must be the distributors, because every store has the same stuff.

Skip Towne
09-30-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm partial to Keystone Light.

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately, no. Beer selection is pretty limited around here. We get a few of the big imports, a few of the big micros, like SN, and a few local micros. Must be the distributors, because every store has the same stuff.I'll have to send you a couple the next time I brew it.

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 05:52 PM
You, sir, are a retard. That aside I'm pretty sure you prefer tree over barley.

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Wow, no wonder you hate yourself.

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Are you still referring to Blue Moon? Coors bought them out. It's not a bad brew.

Try Aventinus Weizenbok. It is a wheat beer, but huge. I've seen it in several KC liquor stores. It runs about 8% alcohol and will blow you away with the bananna/clove aroma. A great beer.
That sounds....

Really good.

cdcox
09-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I'll have to send you a couple the next time I brew it.

That would be awesome.

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 05:54 PM
I had a czech beer last night...it was decent. I can't remember the name.

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 05:55 PM
I had a czech beer last night...it was decent. I can't remember the name.
Pilsner Urquell?

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Pilsner Urquell?
Something like....carlitchnia...or...hmmm. I was pretty drunk by then...a friend got it for me late at mud lounge.

cdcox
09-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Pilsner Urquell?

Some day I want to try a draft of that in Czechoslovakia, without the green bottle.

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Some day I want to try a draft of that in Czechoslovakia, without the green bottle.
Not to be a broken record but I've got a clone recipe of that I want to brew. I make a nice Chech pils but I want to try the Urquell clone. It would be nice to have an Urquell unskunked.

09-30-2006, 05:59 PM
:Lin:

This is my Beer of choice
http://www.lion-nathan.com.au/our+brands/beer/australia/international+brands/becks.jpg

stevieray
09-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Boulevard Wheat...mmmmmmmmm

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I know its not in season now and some people don't feel the same way...but damn I love the Zon.

http://www.blvdbeer.com/images/brands_zon_main2.jpg

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:04 PM
I know its not in season now and some people don't feel the same way...but damn I love the Zon.

http://www.blvdbeer.com/images/brands_zon_main2.jpg
It's better than Blue Moon.

Nzoner
09-30-2006, 06:04 PM
the boulevard pale ale is ok. I love fat tire quite a bit, but my favorite would have to be blue moon, no contest.

Just got back from the bar myself and enjoyed 2 large blue moons and a blvd wheat.

Tasty

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
It's better than Blue Moon.
Its pretty similar to BM until the end...really has a kick with a lot of flavor on the back end.

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Jim, what is the significance of starting gravity?

Nzoner
09-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I'll have to send you a couple the next time I brew it.

While you're at it ole buddy.......

Sure wished you'd come to the bash,I'm sure if you bring enough homebrew we could work something out. :D

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Jim, what is the significance of starting gravity?
The higher the original (starting) gravity, the more potential alcohol there will be in the beer.

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Sure wished you'd come to the bash,I'm sure if you bring enough homebrew we could work something out. :D
Just not in the cards this year. Maybe Jenny and I will get up there before the end of the year. You, of course, are always welcome in Springtown.

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 06:09 PM
You, of course, are always welcome in Springtown.
I wasn't consulted.

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:12 PM
I wasn't consulted.
You should come over for the game tomorrow.

Nzoner
09-30-2006, 06:13 PM
I wasn't consulted.

Damn Zach that hurts,that's way below the belt

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Don't worry about Flounder. He's harmless.

Jenny Gump
09-30-2006, 06:14 PM

Jees. You need to get laid. Relax.

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 06:14 PM
You should come over for the game tomorrow.
Jeez, I would love to. I have to work.

Big trade off...

I work less and make 2x the money I used too but Sundays free are few and far in between. I haven't seen a Chiefs game from start to finish yet.

:sulk:

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 06:15 PM
What have you been working on lately Jim? I brewed a batch of Hefeweizen last week that i'm about to bottle and the Maerzen I brewed back in early April is finally bottled and conditioned. It is SUPERB. Also made 5 gallons of Blackberry and Peach wine respectively and will start on a 6 gallon batch of Valpolicella next week. I LOVE AUTUMN!

Jenny Gump
09-30-2006, 06:16 PM

Maybe a small gathering in the winter?

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I am a big meany. :D

Nzoner
09-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Don't worry about Flounder. He's harmless.

Nah,I'm not worried if I get to make it down I'll be sure he drives us to the Food King.

Jenny Gump
What have you been working on lately Jim? I brewed a batch of Hefeweizen last week that i'm about to bottle and the Maerzen I brewed back in early April is finally bottled and conditioned. It is SUPERB. Also made 5 gallons of Blackberry and Peach wine respectively and will start on a 6 gallon batch of Valpolicella next week. I LOVE AUTUMN!

Jim and I are supposed to brew a Frambozen. Or so he says......

JimNasium
Nah,I'm not worried if I get to make it down I'll be sure he drives us to the Food King.
LMAO!

|Zach|
09-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Lets roll.

http://home.flash.net/~samily/stuff/lumber_car.jpg

09-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Jeez, I would love to. I have to work.

Big trade off...

I work less and make 2x the money I used too but Sundays free are few and far in between. I haven't seen a Chiefs game from start to finish yet.

:sulk:
Money isn't always everything Zach..That Sucks!!!

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Sorry, I missed this. I've got a batch of Belgian oatmeal pale working right now. Gonna brew a Chech pilsner soon. I feel a brew tasting party coming on.

Nzoner
Maybe a small gathering in the winter?

Whatever works for you two,we have a large guest bedroom with king sized bed and private bath,just let me know.

|Zach|
Money isn't always everything Zach..That Sucks!!!
Right now it is... LMAO

Naw it does suck. I have always had leeway with Chiefs games at my job. Part of it is bad luck. I either work 10-4 or 4-9.

The noon\3 game cycle hasn't been good to me.

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Whatever works for you two,we have a large guest bedroom with king sized bed and private bath,just let me know.
Is it soundproof?

Nzoner
09-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Is it soundproof?

meh,good luck out doing me and the mrs when I'm tanked,of course if you'd like we could always have a contest for "dueling bedsprings"

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:25 PM
meh,good luck out doing me and the mrs when I'm tanked,of course if you'd like we could always have a contest for "dueling bedsprings"You don't want to hear me but then again you won't because of her.

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Sorry, I missed this. I've got a batch of Belgian oatmeal pale working right now. Gonna brew a Chech pilsner soon. I feel a brew tasting party coming on.

SWEET! Let me know when and I'll be there. Just has to be on a Saturday though. I'll bring some of my "world famous" Bavarian Hefeweizen and a bottle or 2 of my Maerzen. I polished off the Czech Pilsner I made and it was AWESOME. Also harvested my hops and didn't do too bad for the first year growing. My Cascade and Tettnanger did the best with the Cascade hands down doing the best of all. It kicked out hops that looked like pine cones! The Fuggle, Saaz, Hallertau, Northern Brewer, Kent Golding and Perle produced less but will kick arse next year.

Nzoner
09-30-2006, 06:28 PM
You don't want to hear me but then again you won't because of her.

Oh hell then I gurantee our ladies will make beautiful noise together.

"She gets to goin like a motorboat,fffffffffffffffffooooooccckkkkkkk me Alex!"

the Talking Can
09-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I love most all Boulevard beer.

Trying something new tonight:

Maredsous

Belgian "Dark-Brune", 8% alcohol
"Pour at 42-50F"

Abbey ale fermented in the bottle...a big ass bottle (wine bottle) with a champagne-like cork...pretty damn delicious I have to say...hits the togue like an ale, has a porter-like back end, almost an alcohol/liquor after taste, if that makes any sense...I'm impressed

Wierd Tennesse prohibition laws...can only sell
"big beers" (high alcohol) at liquor stores...only sell swill (low alcohol) at grocery stores...just the excuse I needed to spend $8 on a beer....

Nzoner
09-30-2006, 06:50 PM

Do you pick by doing...

Eenie.Meenie.Minnie.Moe

JimNasium
09-30-2006, 06:50 PM

Trying something new tonight:

Maredsous

Belgian "Dark-Brune", 8% alcohol
"Pour at 42-50F"

Abbey ale fermented in the bottle...a big ass bottle with a champagne-like cork...pretty damn delicious I have to say...hits the togue like an ale, has a porter-like back end, almost an alcohol/liquor after taste, if that makes any sense...I'm impressed

Wierd Tennesse prohibition laws...can only sell
"big beers" (high alcohol) at liquor stores...only sell swill (low alcohol) at grocery stores...just the excuse I needed to spend $8 on a beer....
I'm very, very jealous.

the Talking Can
09-30-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm very, very jealous.

new to me, but quickly becoming a convert....

the Talking Can
09-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I moved from KC just before Boulevard opened, so I've only been able to sample the Pale Ale on a few occasions, but always enjoyed it. I brought a 12-pack with me back from KC last time I was there, and have compared it against Bass (which I consider a good Pale Ale) and Sam Adam Oktoberfest (not a pale ale, but similar body, balance and hop level and a brew I look forward to every year). I have to say, Boulevard pale ale puts both to shame.

Very tasty on a fall day, sitting out on the deck.

imo, Boulevard is one of the most consistenly good brewers I know...having lived many years outside of their distribution area (never understood that issue...) I have lamented having (ok, choosing...) to drink inferior beers...