PDA

View Full Version : Why you should not answer your phone while your prof is lecturing

pr_capone
10-01-2006, 03:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNJfMwlA5Ww

10-01-2006, 04:04 AM
I have not checked out the video yet..but..I love that sig!!!

Well done!!!! :LOL:

10-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Wow..he just smashed that guy's cell phone..That aint right :D

pr_capone
10-01-2006, 04:29 AM
Wow..he just smashed that guy's cell phone..That aint right :D

Dont you ever sleep???

Your posting is scattered all over the place (time-wise that is) lol

Glad you liked the siggy! It was inspired by the Jenny Gump thread. :D

Sam Hall
10-01-2006, 05:10 AM
I doubt he got away with it.

tyton75
10-01-2006, 05:38 AM
I would kick that guys @ss!

I was expecting him to throw the eraser at him or something..

its not like phones are a dime a dozen... its stupid to answer the phone in class; but still: what if his mom had been sick and that was an update call or something.. that guy is a dik

10-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Dont you ever sleep???

Your posting is scattered all over the place (time-wise that is) lol

Glad you liked the siggy! It was inspired by the Jenny Gump thread. :D
I got 5 hours of sleep(Can't sleep on gameday for some reason)..and I'm 1 hour ahead..so it's 7:42am here on the east coast

And I have off tomorrow..so I make my first bloody mary in about 2 hours..and after that it's full throttle boozin today!!! :)

Bwana
10-01-2006, 06:02 AM
LOL: Good for him. Nothing like sitting in a class after paying all the money for the rest of the people and having some douche bag run his mouth on his cell phone like that. It's one thing to have it ring, it's another to answer it and start running his mouth like that. From the teachers reaction, something tells me that he had a “no cell phone turned on in class policy”. I would also bet no one answered another cell call for the rest of the semester.

milkman
10-01-2006, 06:14 AM
LOL: Good for him. Nothing like sitting in a class after paying all the money for the rest of the people and having some douche bag run his mouth on his cell phone like that. It's one thing to have it ring, it's another to answer it and start running his mouth like that. From the teachers reaction, something tells me that he had a “no cell phone turned on in class policy”. I would also bet no one answered another cell call for the rest of the semester.

Dumbass should have taken the call outside of the classroom.
The prof should have stomped on the damn phone after he threw it, just to make sure he really ****ed it up.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 06:30 AM
That prof. would be scraping his balls off the sole of my shoe if he tried shit like that.

cdcox
10-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Heh.

I know exactly how this guy feels. When everyone first got them, it was a real problem. For about two years, I had the following passage in my syllabus:

Cell phones and pagers: In recent years, the beeping of cell phones and pagers has contributed to the deterioration of a favorable learning environment in the classroom. Interruptions caused by these devices are rude to the instructor and your fellow students. Turn off your cell phones and pagers prior to entering class. Up to 1% of your total grade will be deducted for each instance of an interruption caused by these devices.

Since, then most students have become more responsible in how they use their cell phones. If they keep them on, they have them in silent mode and leave the class to answer them. Most just turn them off.

wazu
10-01-2006, 06:51 AM
That prof. would be scraping his balls off the sole of my shoe if he tried shit like that.

I dunno, he's small, but clearly has some inner rage. I like how he went right on with his lecture. Good for him.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 07:00 AM
I dunno, he's small, but clearly has some inner rage. I like how he went right on with his lecture. Good for him.Good for him to a point. Destroying someone else's property because they annoyed/interrupted him is way beyond "the line". Pick up the phone, tell the person on the other end what a tool the kid (in class) is. Embarrass him in front of the rest of the class. Whatever. I think it's safe to say though that what the professor did was breaking the law...destruction of property, theft, assault (you'd be surprised at what constitutes assault these days...I was), etc. Dude went overboard considering the situation.

milkman
10-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Good for him to a point. Destroying someone else's property because they annoyed/interrupted him is way beyond "the line". Pick up the phone, tell the person on the other end what a tool the kid (in class) is. Embarrass him in front of the rest of the class. Whatever. I think it's safe to say though that what the professor did was breaking the law...destruction of property, theft, assault (you'd be surprised at what constitutes assault these days...I was), etc. Dude went overboard considering the situation.

There may be a history there.

I would bet that this wasn't the first time the student has shown this lack of consideration.

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 07:08 AM

GoChiefs
With your new gig on "My Name is Earl", you may be able to save enough dough to move out of your Mom's basement. Nice job as Randy!

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 07:16 AM
There may be a history there.

I would bet that this wasn't the first time the student has shown this lack of consideration.From a legal perspective, that has absolutely no bearing whatsoever. The kid may have been breaking the rules of the classroom established by the professor...however, the professor broke "real" law.

Trust me, I understand lack of consideration, a "history", etc. But that's not going to get you past a prosecutor.

DaKCMan AP
10-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Looks setup to me. I know here at UF there are certain lectures that are taped, but 1) not with a handheld shitty quality camcorder and 2) the cameras wouldn't come off of the professor to focus on some kid talking on his cell.

10-01-2006, 07:19 AM
He should have acted like an adult..especially considering there was a camera in the room(dont know if he knew the camera was rolling)..

He lost it over something ridiculous..He should have just made an ass out of the kid and confiscate his phone..that would have been better,and he would not be in hot water..

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 07:21 AM
I'd sue that bastard. His grandkids would owe me money.

milkman
10-01-2006, 07:23 AM
From a legal perspective, that has absolutely no bearing whatsoever. The kid may have been breaking the rules of the classroom established by the professor...however, the professor broke "real" law.

Trust me, I understand lack of consideration, a "history", etc. But that's not going to get you past a prosecutor.

So he breaks a "real" dumbass law.

I'd rather stand on principle that worry about some dumbass law, and some dumbass proscecutor that would take me to court over that dumbass law.

milkman
10-01-2006, 07:25 AM
He should have acted like an adult..especially considering there was a camera in the room(dont know if he knew the camera was rolling)..

He lost it over something ridiculous..He should have just made an ass out of the kid and confiscate his phone..that would have been better,and he would not be in hot water..

Again, we don't know if there's a history.

If there isn't, then the prof is an asswipe.

10-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Again, we don't know if there's a history.

If there isn't, then the prof is an asswipe.
Good point

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 07:37 AM
So he breaks a "real" dumbass law.

I'd rather stand on principle that worry about some dumbass law, and some dumbass proscecutor that would take me to court over that dumbass law.
Yeah, except that dumbass prosecutor can put you in a dumbass jail.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Yeah, except that dumbass prosecutor can put you in a dumbass jail.As I wrote earlier...you might be surprised by what is considered assault these days. Dumbass prosecutor nailed me for a year's probation. For considerably less than smashing someone's cell phone.

And as "light" as it sounds, it was a complete and total pain in the ass (and not cheap).

milkman
10-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Yeah, except that dumbass prosecutor can put you in a dumbass jail.

I went to Captain's Mast and received 30 days in CCU when I was in the Navy because I wasn't afraid to do what I thought was right.

OldTownChief
10-01-2006, 07:49 AM
I have not checked out the video yet..but..I love that sig!!!

Well done!!!! :LOL:

ROFL Gochiefs even flips the bird like a girl.

CupidStunt
10-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Looks setup to me. I know here at UF there are certain lectures that are taped, but 1) not with a handheld shitty quality camcorder and 2) the cameras wouldn't come off of the professor to focus on some kid talking on his cell.

Most shit on YouTube does, unfortunately.

However, I'm not so sure with this one. It wouldn't surprise me, but some dude could've just been randomly recording with his camera phone, and he almost certainly would've checked out the other dude on his phone.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 07:53 AM
I wasn't afraid to do what I thought was right.And neither was I. But I still ended up with a year's probation and had to dole out plenty of $$$. I still think what I did was right...my friends and family think what I did was right...but the law/government disagrees. I'm all for standing up for your beliefs, but you'd better recognize that there are consequences. Hell, my beliefe is that I'd plant my size 12 in that asshole's sack, and that I'd be right in doing so. And considering that he escalated the situation to a physical level (snatching the phone and smashing it), I'd probably get away with it.

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 07:54 AM
I went to Captain's Mast and received 30 days in CCU when I was in the Navy because I wasn't afraid to do what I thought was right.
And you consider destroying another man's property "right"? What is CCU?

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 07:56 AM
CCU = the brig

10-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Holy shit..you have grapefruits milk!!!! :D

milkman
10-01-2006, 07:59 AM
And you consider destroying another man's property "right"? What is CCU?

Again, we don't know the history there, but if the student did have a history of phone usage in class, then he should be aware that there are consequences.

I don't know that I would have acted in the same way as the prof, but I might have.

CCU=Correctional Custody Unit.

10-01-2006, 07:59 AM
ROFL Gochiefs even flips the bird like a girl.
Is it me..or does he look like he has pink lip gloss on too???

milkman
10-01-2006, 08:01 AM
And neither was I. But I still ended up with a year's probation and had to dole out plenty of $$$. I still think what I did was right...my friends and family think what I did was right...but the law/government disagrees. I'm all for standing up for your beliefs, but you'd better recognize that there are consequences. Hell, my beliefe is that I'd plant my size 12 in that asshole's sack, and that I'd be right in doing so. And considering that he escalated the situation to a physical level (snatching the phone and smashing it), I'd probably get away with it.

I understand there are consequences.
However, if I am right, I willingly accept those consequences.

Hammock Parties
10-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Is it me..or does he look like he has pink lip gloss on too???

Lip gloss? LipSTICK, my friend.

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Again, we don't know the history there, but if the student did have a history of phone usage in class, then he should be aware that there are consequences.

I don't know that I would have acted in the same way as the prof, but I might have.

CCU=Correctional Custody Unit.
As another poster stated, any "history" does not matter. The prof could have expelled the guy from his classroom but that's about it.

10-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Lip gloss? LipSTICK, my friend.
HAHA!!! :shake:

10-01-2006, 08:08 AM
As another poster stated, any "history" does not matter. The prof could have expelled the guy from his classroom but that's about it.
He should have confiscated the phone for the rest of the class..and humiliated the kid in front of everybody..that would have been the smart thing to do..but he lost it..

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 08:13 AM
He should have confiscated the phone for the rest of the class..and humiliated the kid in front of everybody..that would have been the smart thing to do..but he lost it..
Technically, he probably couldn't even do that. He doesn't have any right to that kid's property. What would you do if I "confiscated" your car?

milkman
10-01-2006, 08:15 AM

Again, I may not have acted in the same manner as the prof, and I realize that under the law, the history doesn't matter.

However, it still comes down to whether that prof is willing to pay the consequences of his action if he believes he's right.

It's as simple as that, really.

10-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Technically, he probably couldn't even do that. He doesn't have any right to that kid's property.
I have seen a Judge do it in court after he gave fairwarning before hand..municipal court..And I dont think a judge would break the law..although he could probably make up his own laws in his own courtroom

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 08:18 AM
I have seen a Judge do it in court after he gave fairwarning before hand..municipal court..And I dont think a judge would break the law..although he could probably make up his own laws in his own courtroom
Only a general on a battlefield has more power than a judge. Apples and oranges. Profs have no police power.

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Again, I may not have acted in the same manner as the prof, and I realize that under the law, the history doesn't matter.

However, it still comes down to whether that prof is willing to pay the consequences of his action if he believes he's right.

It's as simple as that, really.
Sometimes your logic is really hard to follow.

OldTownChief
10-01-2006, 08:26 AM
I doubt there was a history, the lecture sounded like a first day thing.

milkman
10-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Sometimes your logic is really hard to follow.

The prof's action was stupid, even if he did do what he thought was right.

That kind of makes it difficult to defend him, even if I agree with the principle.

This leads to a kind of circular logic.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 08:41 AM
The prof's action was stupid...Wow, there's a first...an academic (a professor) doing something stupid. Of all the people it's been my misfortune to meet in this life, none of them have been more out-of-touch with the real world than academics. Meth addicts have a firmer grasp on reality.