PDA

View Full Version : MERRILL: Hall runs back punt 60 yards for TD

Fire Me Boy!
10-02-2006, 06:40 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15656923.htm

THE X-MAN RETURNS
Hall runs back punt 60 yards for TD

The best advice Dante Hall could give himself was to stop thinking about it. For two years, Hall tried to hit the proverbial home run, to return every kickoff and punt into the end zone.

He decided to positively stop doing that this summer. But he also predicted he’d have five touchdown returns by the end of the year.

One down, four to go.

Hall did something Sunday he hasn’t done since 2003 — score a touchdown on a punt return.

He took an Andy Lee kick up the middle at the 40-yard line and kept going for a 60-yard touchdown return. The game was well in hand, but it could be the start of something bigger for the Chiefs’ special teams.

“You want to reward the guys who are out there busting their tails and blocking for you,” Hall said. “They get excited, the coaches get excited and the fans get excited, too.”

History has proved that when Hall gets hot, one touchdown can lead to another. He had four touchdown returns — two on punts and two on kickoffs — in 2003. Hall now has 11 career kick return touchdowns, just two shy of Brian Mitchell’s NFL record.

Hall said Sunday’s touchdown was a product of “great execution by everybody,” right down to special-teams coach Mike Priefer’s call for a middle return.

“They kicked it right down the middle,” Hall said, “and all I recall is seeing a lot of red. Anytime you see a lot of red jerseys, that’s a good sign.”

The swarm of red jerseys has been harder to find since 2003. Hall had two touchdowns the next season, both on kickoff returns. Before Sunday, he had gone 14 games without finding the end zone on a return.

But Hall was eager with the hire of Priefer, who said he wanted to help him get back to the Pro Bowl. And Hall said the energy on special teams has returned.

Hall never lost it. There have been snapshots of his frustration, a hand slap against the grass after a short gain, a muffed punt in the season opener.

That’s where the patience came in.

“The standards were set pretty high for a couple of years in a row,” Hall said, “and it was kind of frustrating. You just have to take whatever is there, and it finally came.”

For a couple of years, the Chiefs’ coaches have been trying to strike the perfect balance of Dante the receiver and Dante the returner. When Hall’s production on special teams dipped somewhat in 2004, some wondered whether he was being used too much on offense.

But Hall was an offensive spark Sunday. On the Chiefs’ first possession, quarterback Damon Huard found him in the corner of the end zone for a 13-yard touchdown pass.

“We worked on that play all week in practice,” Huard said. “Dante’s so fast, you just lay it out and give him a chance to make a play.”

But back to the punt return. It was Hall’s fifth career punt-return touchdown, and his first since Oct. 5, 2003. He’s now in sole possession of the Chiefs’ all-time record. It might not land him a spot on David Letterman as he got in that whirlwind 2003 season, but it was enough on Sunday.

“Coach told us, ‘Don’t confuse effort with results,’ ” Hall said. “Today, we got results.”

Rain Man
10-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Was anyone else afraid that there was a block in the back right at the beginning of the play? Someone - I think Jarrod Page - came back and picked off the gunner right as Dante caught the ball, and I was wincing. Did anyone else see that? Can anyone provide a clip so I can see it again? He might caught him directly in the side instead of the back.

I doubt that it's a penalty because it was so obvious that it would've been called. I'd just like to see it again.

Halfcan
10-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I actually told my friend right before the run back-this would top off the whole game if he breaks one-he is due. Lucky guess.

Fire Me Boy!
10-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Was anyone else afraid that there was a block in the back right at the beginning of the play? Someone - I think Jarrod Page - came back and picked off the gunner right as Dante caught the ball, and I was wincing. Did anyone else see that? Can anyone provide a clip so I can see it again? He might caught him directly in the side instead of the back.

I doubt that it's a penalty because it was so obvious that it would've been called. I'd just like to see it again.
As many blocks in the back that have been called after a good Dante return, I always figure a flag will be thrown.

Hammock Parties
10-02-2006, 10:18 AM
It looks like a clip to me but could have been a block on the side:

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/5272/hall60ydtdpuntreturnry9.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Halfcan
10-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Dante is one step closer to the HOF.

dtebbe
10-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I actually told my friend right before the run back-this would top off the whole game if he breaks one-he is due. Lucky guess.

I was actually taking a piss and thinking to myself "Watch Dante break one while I'm pissing"... all I can say is thank god for Tivo.

DT

Rain Man
10-02-2006, 10:35 AM
It looks like a clip to me but could have been a block on the side:

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/5272/hall60ydtdpuntreturnry9.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Wow. How did they miss that? That's just what I was remembering.

Gravedigger
10-02-2006, 10:41 AM
This is a poor topic to choose from all the great things that happened yesterday IE the defense shutting out the niners or Damon Huard shutting up critics but cmon why would you select Dante Hall's ONE TD runback in almost a year as title worthy. Dante is fast and very elusive but honestly he hasn't done well since taht one season where he ran back 4 in the regular season and 1 against the Colts in the playoffs.

Gravedigger
10-02-2006, 10:43 AM
GoChiefs you need to group that clip with the one against denver a few years ago and make that your sig on the Denver forums just to lawl in front of the donks.

Halfcan
10-02-2006, 10:46 AM
I was actually taking a piss and thinking to myself "Watch Dante break one while I'm pissing"... all I can say is thank god for Tivo.

DT

I talked to some other friends who said they "CALLED" it too. I think San Fran was tired and wanted to go home. He was due for a big run, so you could just feel it about to happen.

Raiderhater
10-02-2006, 10:50 AM
This is a poor topic to choose from all the great things that happened yesterday IE the defense shutting out the niners or Damon Huard shutting up critics but cmon why would you select Dante Hall's ONE TD runback in almost a year as title worthy. Dante is fast and very elusive but honestly he hasn't done well since taht one season where he ran back 4 in the regular season and 1 against the Colts in the playoffs.

Merrill also had an article about Huard, so quit your bitchin'.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=148848

InChiefsHeaven
10-02-2006, 10:54 AM
THe only thing that sucked was that I was at the game, and so many people were leaving that at like 6 minutes left my buddy and I left the nosebleed section for greener pastures at lower levels. No sooner do we enter the concourse, then hear the crowd roar and I missed the damn punt return.

GoChiefs, could you post the whole thing?