PDA

View Full Version : FLANNAGAN: Jittery play of 49er QB shows

Fire Me Boy!
10-02-2006, 06:44 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15657203.htm

Jittery play of 49er QB shows

Anyone who knows anything about Arrowhead Stadium probably just giggled at all the talk about how the much-improved Alex Smith was going to play Sunday.

Smith, the 49ers’ second-year quarterback, played exactly the way you’d expect a young quarterback to play here: Jittery. Actually, a lot of veteran quarterbacks look jittery here, too.

Smith’s reaction to Arrowhead was pretty much the talk over the airwaves Sunday:

“This stadium usually uses young quarterbacks for fish bait.”

| Mitch Holthus, KCFX and the Chiefs Radio Network

JF: Smith threw for just 92 yards with no touchdowns, two interceptions and a passer rating (27.4) that barely topped his age (22).

•••

“The 49ers did practice with the loudspeakers on extra loud this week.”

| Jayice Pearson, Fox Sports

“Yes, and they were so loud that (49ers offensive coordinator) Norv Turner had to turn them down because he couldn’t think.”

| Chris Myers, Fox Sports

JF: Guess it was too loud at Arrowhead, too, for Turner to think. Not much of a game plan.

•••

“I just took a bathroom break, and who do I run into in the bathroom? Norv Turner. It’s almost like you want to say ‘Don’t you have something to do?’ ”

| Holthus to partner Len Dawson during the second half.

JF: Well, maybe Turner was just flushing down the 49ers’ game plan, giving it its proper burial.

•••

“What’s going on here with the great catches by the receivers?”

| Dawson, after yet another lunging grab by a Chiefs wide receiver.

“These receivers are showing some guts. Kennison, Parker, Gonzalez. You expect that from Gonzalez.”

| Holthus

JF: The Chiefs’ wide receivers, for a day, looked like actual NFL weapons, so much so that even the Chiefs’ radio team seemed stunned.

•••

“That’s what I’ve been talking about for two years! Just play your position. If you do your job, everything else will be fine.”

| Dawson, praising Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen after Allen sniffed out a screen pass and dumped a 49er running back for a loss.

“Oops. He must have been listening.”

| Dawson, just one play later when Allen jumped way offside, nullifying a fumble he had caused.

•••

“The 49ers are a second-half team…”

| Myers, hoping perhaps to trigger some interest in what was a 24-0 Chiefs lead at halftime.

JF: Actually, if possible, the 49ers were worse in the second half. The 49ers had eight first downs in the first half, two thereafter.

“Yeah, if they played the 49ers every week....”

| Bob Gretz of the Chiefs Radio Network when asked in the postgame whether the Chiefs defense had arrived.

“Kansas City has a defense again!”

| Holthus

JF: Holding the Broncos without a touchdown was infinitely more impressive than shutting out the 49ers at Arrowhead, but hey, let’s not thumb our noses at the strides Gun’s men are making. It’s not exactly the glory days of the mid-’90s, but it’s a big step forward.

•••

“The ball was out. The ball was definitely out.”

| Pearson, after officials ruled during the second-half kickoff that the 49ers’ kick returner was down by contact before he fumbled. The Chiefs challenged the ruling, and the play was reversed, giving the Chiefs the ball.

JF: One of the quietest rule changes this season may be the most significant. Unlike in previous years, “down by contact” now can be challenged. However, to get the ball on a reversal, the defensive team must make a clear recovery and a timely recovery.

Radar Chief
10-02-2006, 07:56 AM
“I just took a bathroom break, and who do I run into in the bathroom? Norv Turner. It’s almost like you want to say ‘Don’t you have something to do?’ ”

| Holthus to partner Len Dawson during the second half.

I was listening to this.
Lenny’s response, “Was he getting sick?” ROFL

ChiefsFanatic
10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Did he give Greg Hall a writing credit?