View Full Version : Haynesworth Suspended 5 Games

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Misconduct will not be tolerated. Ouch.

10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
link??

mac58
10-02-2006, 02:37 PM
it was a dick move, but his apology seemed real sincere and hey its football. . .

DaFace
10-02-2006, 02:37 PM
I personally think he should have been suspended for the season, but 5 games certainly makes a statement.

Some douche from SI came on to NBC during the halftime show last night and said he didn't think the guy should be suspended at all. I just about kicked a hole in my TV when I heard that.

Iowanian
10-02-2006, 02:38 PM
His apology didn't repair the 30 stitch scar on the Dallas Center's face.
Ripping off someone's helmet and cleat stomping them in the face, twice, while they're flat on their back will never be "just football" dumbass.

5 games is a good start, hopefully he'll be losing at least that much pay.

PRIEST
10-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Good ,that sh*t was wrong! :#

InChiefsHeaven
10-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Kicking a dude in the face while he's laying down isn't football...I'm glad he's sorry. Hopefully, they will fine the piss out of him as well...

DaFace
10-02-2006, 02:40 PM
it was a dick move, but his apology seemed real sincere and hey its football. . .

Last I checked, stepping on your opponent's unprotected face with a cleated shoe is NOT a part of football.

dirk digler
10-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Good though IMO he should have been suspended for the season.

Rooster
That is quite a few games. Should have been more but the league actually did something, and quickly I might add.

I think this is much worse than any ''substance abuse'' violation..yet the punishment is not that much more severe..

I think he should have been suspended for the season with out pay.

And WTF???apology???did you see him lose it when he found out he got kicked out of the game??

f*ck him!!! :cuss:

TinyEvel
10-02-2006, 02:43 PM
What an A-HOLE!

He should have gotten the season. What a punk. He was looking right down on Gurode and just stepped on the side of his head.

Imagine how pissed we'd be if he did that to LJ or Gonzo.

vailpass
10-02-2006, 02:45 PM

His apology would hold more weight if it wasn't the 3rd or 4th time he has given it. He was suspended for kicking a guy in the chest a couple years ago, busted for road rage last year, etc.

At some point "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it. Like I tell my kids, 'if you are really sorry you won't do it again.'

noa
10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
I loved watching Deion Sanders talk about this because the other NFL Network people were saying how "we've never seen anything like this before," and Deion tells them not to forget about the Denver Broncos who would intentioanlly chop block and go for the knees and knock people out for the entire season.
Nice dig at the Donkeys Deion. Couldn't have said it better myself.

JBucc
10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd have done the whole season. Hopefully the Titans will add their 4 to that.

Skip Towne
His apology would hold more weight if it wasn't the 3rd or 4th time he has given it. He was suspended for kicking a guy in the chest a couple years ago, busted for road rage last year, etc.

At some point "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it. Like I tell my kids, 'if you are really sorry you won't do it again.'
I'll agree he's a sorry individual.

alpha_omega
5 games...pffffft....the dude should have been arrested.

mac58
10-02-2006, 02:51 PM
by my statement "its football". . .I was refering to old school football where guys would be the shit out of each other in the pit. . .even keeping razor blades in there shoulder pads, bites, broken fingers ect. . .its a war in the pit. . .by no means to i think what he did was football. . .just i dont think as bad as everyone else does. .. but I do think he desereved suspension and it was a classless cheap shot. . .

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
by my statement its football. . .is kinda refering to old school football where guys would be the shit out of each other in the pit. . .even keeping erazor blades in there shoulder pads, bites, broken fingers ect. . .its a war in the pit. . .by no means to i think what he did was football. . .just i dont think as bad as everyone else does. .. but I do think he desereved suspensiopn and it was a classless cheap shot. . .

That shit is still barbaric and has no place anywhere but "Oz".

DaFace
10-02-2006, 02:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2610577

Jeff Fisher:
"I felt there needed to be some serious action taken from a discipline standpoint, and I think what the league has done now is adequate."

Guess they won't be tacking on any more.

teedubya
10-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Haynesworth is a tool. That video is absolutely appalling. Taking off a dudes helmet, then scraping his cleats on his grill. Only 5 games? At least the league swiftly punished him.

Calcountry
10-02-2006, 02:58 PM
What an A-HOLE!

He should have gotten the season. What a punk. He was looking right down on Gurode and just stepped on the side of his head.

Imagine how pissed we'd be if he did that to LJ or Gonzo.More importantly to the league, is how they would've responded had it been Carson Palmer or Matt Leinert.

10-02-2006, 02:59 PM
A flag was thrown, and Haynesworth followed an official toward the Titans' sideline, protesting.

This is what I have a problem with too..he knew what he did right there and lost it..
He is an ass

mac58
10-02-2006, 03:00 PM
if it was trent green they wouldve said he was pushed into him. . .

Bob Dole
10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
I personally think he should have been suspended for the season, but 5 games certainly makes a statement.

Some douche from SI came on to NBC during the halftime show last night and said he didn't think the guy should be suspended at all. I just about kicked a hole in my TV when I heard that.

Peter King did not say he didn't think the guy SHOULD be suspended. He said he didn't think the league WOULD suspend him but would fine him roughly $25k.

Lonewolf Ed
10-02-2006, 03:02 PM
by my statement "its football". . .I was refering to old school football where guys would be the shit out of each other in the pit. . .even keeping razor blades in there shoulder pads, bites, broken fingers ect. . .its a war in the pit. . .by no means to i think what he did was football. . .just i dont think as bad as everyone else does. .. but I do think he desereved suspension and it was a classless cheap shot. . .

Old school football or not, that needs to be kept in the past and not out there now. I can break Brian Waters' leg if I sneak up on him and take him by surprise, but that in no way means I need to suit up and play defense or anything else. I don't. I'm too slow, too small even though I am 6'2" and 196 lbs., and too old since I am turning 39 in next week. As big as these guys are now, as strong as they are, penalties need to be meted out when stuff like this happens, mainly to make it known that it is not going to be tolerated. Play the game right; win by playing smarter, hitting harder, by force of will, taking advantage of your opponent's mistakes, and overcoming blown calls or non-calls by the zebras. Cheap shots cheapen the game.

Bob Dole
10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
The NFL handed down a lengthy five-game suspension on Monday to Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth for kicking Dallas Cowboys center Andre Gurode in the head.

That length of suspension represents the biggest on-field disciplinary action in league history. Charles Martin held the previous high for a suspension, sitting two games for his bodyslam of Bears quarterback Jim McMahon on Nov. 23, 1986.

"This is an unprecedented suspension. I feel like his actions on the field were also unprecented," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said.

The coach indicated that Haynesworth would not appeal the decision.

"I felt there needed to be some serious action taken from a discipline standpoint, and I think what the league has done now is adequate."

The suspension will cost Haynesworth $190,070 -- or one-seventeenth of his 2006 base salary of $646,251.

"I think five games, five paychecks is substantial," Fisher said.

The suspension takes effect immediately. Haynesworth can return on Nov. 19 for the Titans' game at Philadelphia.

vailpass
10-02-2006, 03:04 PM

I understand exactly what you are saying. By today's rules the suspension was the right thing to do. The fact remains that football has it's roots in constant, controlled, violent outbursts.
For those who are tripping over their own labia to express their moral outrage, particularly those named Hamass:
Football is a violent game where it is a struggle to control that violence. Some of the people who play are.....wait for it........
violent.
Ohs noes.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Peter King did not say he didn't think the guy SHOULD be suspended. He said he didn't think the league WOULD suspend him but would fine him roughly $25k.

Proof again that Peter King is a dumbass.

DaFace
10-02-2006, 03:08 PM

I stand corrected. Either way, I'm glad they did MUCH more than that.

teedubya
10-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Seriously, wtf. Did Haynesworth think the cameras weren't gonna see him **** the dude up?

Adept Havelock
10-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Only 5 games? :cuss:

Haynesworth should be gone for the rest of the year, IMO.

patteeu
10-02-2006, 03:41 PM
I think it is a pretty tough but fair suspension. If he does it again, he'll have hell to pay.

Archie F. Swin
10-02-2006, 03:45 PM
how much does he make a game?

Bob Dole
10-02-2006, 03:48 PM
how much does he make a game?

Did you forget how to read?

TN_Chief
10-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Only 5?

Bob Dole
10-02-2006, 03:50 PM

Though re-reading the article quoted earlier, something ain't right about the math.

The suspension will cost Haynesworth $190,070 -- or one-seventeenth of his 2006 base salary of $646,251.

Roughly $38015/game

Archie F. Swin
10-02-2006, 03:51 PM

you cut me real deep just then Senator

Predarat
10-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I thought it would be about 4-6 games, but I'd like to see Jeff Fisher/the Titans tack on two more. But they aren't going to.

DeepSouth
10-02-2006, 04:00 PM
I'd still trade Ryan Sims straight up for him.

Bwana
10-02-2006, 04:05 PM
5 games? The tool should have been done for the rest of the season and tossed in jail.

Adept Havelock
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
5 games? The tool should have been done for the rest of the season and tossed in jail.

No argument here. I wouldn't have had a problem with it if they booted his ass out of the league for good.

BTW- That sig of yours.....DAMN!

HemiEd
10-02-2006, 04:10 PM
He should be in jail.

HemiEd
10-02-2006, 04:11 PM

Oops, should read further. I agree, civil penalties should be applied.

Mr. Laz
10-02-2006, 04:16 PM
good ..... 5 is more than i expected.

Rain Man
10-02-2006, 04:30 PM
The league is sending a message that it won't tolerate unsportsmanlike behavior that's not aimed at Trent Green. If you're going to take a cheap shot at someone other than Trent Green, you should be prepared to pay the price.

Hound333
10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Apology or not he's a dumbass. He has had problems several times in both college and the pro's. I don't usually want people to get hurt but this guy deserves to come back and play the donkey's and take a cut block to the knees

Rain Man
10-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Wow. Incredibly strong reactions by other players about Haynesworth.

I must say, though...why this? Yes, it was a truly classless and unsportsmanlike thing to do, and yes, I'm glad the league suspended him. But I'm personally not convinced that it's the sleaziest thing I've ever seen on a football field. Does anyone else remember Howie Long pulling off Brad Budde's helmet and breaking his nose? How about Lyle Alzado running up behind Dave Lutz away from the play and punching him in the groin? Anyone remember Lester Hayes dragging Leo Lewis all the way to the long jump pit in the old Coliseum? How about a dozen incidents involving Bill Romanowski? George Foster diving on the back of that Bengal's leg? (Not Robert Geathers' leg, unfortunately.)

Truthfully, Romanowski has been a far worse offender than Haynesworth.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6033280?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8705

Players unanimously disgusted by stomp
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This Subscribe
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 3 hours ago

It should now be referred to as "The Stomp Seen 'Round The League."

Haynesworth: 'It was a blur'
Tennessee's Albert Haynesworth discusses the infamous stomp, his unprecedented suspension and why he chose not to appeal.

When Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth kicked Cowboys guard Andre Gurode in the head during Sunday's game it drew a five-game suspension from the NFL front office. It has also drawn complete outrage from Haynesworth's brethren throughout the league. Outrage. Disgust. Anger. The emotions don't stop there.
The Stomp Heard 'Round the NFL

FOXSports.com this week spoke with several of the NFL's elite and asked for their take to the on-field assault. The reactions ranged with regard to the specifics but all held one common theme: it was a disgrace.

Stars such as Chicago's Brian Urlacher, Carolina's Keyshawn Johnson, Denver's John Lynch, the Giants' Michael Strahan, Chiefs' Tony Gonzalez, Falcons' John Abraham and Keith Brooking, the Chiefs' Kyle Turley (a guy who knows a thing or two about snapping on the field) and the Jets' Jonathon Vilma all had, to say the least, strong reactions.

The man who wanted the stiffest penalty on our panel was Johnson, the Panthers' wideout.

"I would have asked for him to be kicked out of the league permanently," said the outspoken receiver. "Even if I was his teammate I would ask that he was kicked out of the league. I don't want any idiots on our team that would embarrass themselves. If they want to fight then go do Ultimate Fighting. They have a sport where you are allowed to kick someone in the face and it's not football.

"I've never seen anybody kick somebody in the face, never, ever, ever, ever, never seen it. If he was on the Panthers I would ask (owner) Jerry Richardson to get rid of him. I'd tell the coach and the GM that we shouldn't have to play with him. It's embarrassing to the league."

Johnson, however, took it even one step further.

"It's embarrassing to me as a black man," said Johnson. "Is that how we act? Because you're getting your ass whipped is that how we act? Is that how you represent yourself? What if he stomped on the guy's temple? He could have killed him. There is no place for something like that in this league."

Johnson's former teammate and hard-hitting safety John Lynch said that while violence reigns on a football field, the players all respect a line that is never meant to be crossed.

"Even in such a violent game there is a code you don't cross and he crossed it," said Lynch. "That's as bad as I've ever seen. If that was me who got kicked in the face, I would have been suspended for five games too because of what I would have done. You just don't mess with a guy when his helmet is off."

Violent acts and even cheap shots occur in every 60-minute span of time in this league. What is the difference between what Haynesworth did and your weekly run-of-the-mill cheap shot?

One guy to ask is Giants defensive end Michael Strahan. Last year Strahan was the victim of an eye-poke by a Raiders offensive lineman that had the Pro Bowl pass rusher furious. The finger poke caused enough swelling to completely shut Strahan's eye.

"When I got poked in the eye last year, even though I thought he poked me on purpose, there could be some who could debate whether it was on purpose or not," said Strahan. "With this play, there was no doubt he was trying to hurt someone. What he did goes beyond football — what he does can affect your livelihood.

"If he got suspended for a year, I don't think there would be anybody in the league who would mind it. They say you should leave everything on the field but this steps beyond it. His actions could hurt off the field so I'd take it off the field too and sue him. Absolutely, I'd sue him!"

Several of the players FOXSports.com spoke to say they might have taken matters into their own hands had Albert Haynesworth stomped on them or any of their teammates. (John Russell / Associated Press)

Strahan was not alone in urging Gurode to take legal action off the field.

"I'd press charges," said All-Pro tight end Tony Gonzalez. "That was ridiculous. Seriously, I view that as a criminal offense. When I first saw it I was like, 'Are you kidding me?' That was one of the worst things I'd ever seen. I'd want him prosecuted."

Some, like the Jets' Vilma and the Bucs' Simeon Rice, agreed with legal action as an option, but also said they wouldn't be able to resist taking matters into his own hands off the field.

"If it was a home game I would have met him afterwards at the bus. I'd have gone into the parking lot and waited for him by his team's bus" said Vilma. "I wouldn't be able to just leave it on the field. If it was an away game the only I could have done was sue him. He took it way past the line. It's one thing if you get in a fight on the field but for him to step on your head, it's crazy. It's ridiculous – and he had on cleats! It's not like he's a little dude. Heck no! That's the worst thing I've ever seen on a football field. There's a line you don't cross. It's one thing to be dirty, but he could have taken his eye out easily. He has kids, a family to feed -- you can't do that."

"If that was me, they would have had to cancel the game at halftime," Rice said. "I would have gone crazy. The way I would have looked at it is like he was trying to kill me. I wouldn't have sued him. I would have taken it into my own hands."

Bears All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher said his focus would have been coming to his teammate's aid. Assuming of course, that his teammate was the stompee, as opposed to the stomper.

"If that was one of my teammates (who got kicked), offense or defense, and I saw that, I'd be the first one flying off the sidelines to come to his aid," Urlacher said. "First, I'd make sure my helmet was on. Then I'd run otno the field. I'd definitely get fined by the league, but you've got to do that for your teammates."

While all of the aforementioned players live a daily life of on-field violence, none has been involved in anything controversial when it comes to on-field anger. That is why we went to Chiefs offensive tackle Kyle Turley. For years Turley was something of a poster child for anger management. Years ago he drew the ire of the league after he tore the helmet off of Jets safety Damien Robinson and chucked it across the field.

There was a difference, however, in that Robinson was seen twisting Saints QB Aaron Brooks' head around as if trying to hurt him and Turley reacted.

"I know I might sound hypocritical because I'm the guy who threw the helmet but I was retaliating," said Turley. "I took it a bit too far but it's different. I snapped because I was trying to protect my teammate. There's a difference between snapping for good and snapping for bad. One is admirable and one is despicable."

Turley, one of the league's toughest men, said he wouldn't be able to take such a cheap shot from anybody.

"If that guy kicked me in the face like that I wouldn't let anyone from stopping me from running into his locker room and bashing his head in," said Turley. "Then after that I would sue him and I certainly wouldn't accept any phone call apologizing. Guys like that don't belong in football. They don't belong on the same field as us."

Former Jet and current Falcon John Abraham was on the field when Turley tore Robinson's helmet off. He also knows Haynesworth personally since they attended the same church as youngsters.

"I was involved in that incident with Turley and that was crazy but this was 10 times worse," said Abraham. "But I know Albert and I'm surprised by this."

What would Abraham have done if Haynesworth was his teammate? Would he have the same reaction as the Panthers' Johnson?

"If he was my teammate, I wouldn't try to scold him I'd come ask him what is going on outside of football," said the Pro Bowl pass rusher. "Obviously there is something else going on inside his mind outside the game. Everyone says he has anger management problems but I never saw that in him."

Still, what would Abraham have done if the Titans' big man stomped on his face?

"I'd call his mom," said Abraham. "Since I've known him and his family for that long, I'd call his mom."

Abraham's reaction is far from his peers' disgust.

"That was assault on the football field," said hard-hitting Atlanta linebacker Keith Brooking. "That's not just a shoving match, that's where you are staying outside his locker room after the game. He totally crossed the line. In the heat of the moment there's stuff you usually forget all about after the game but something like that you just can't let go. There would be a fight after that where the whole team would have to stop it."

"I wouldn't even take his phone call," said Strahan. "Don't even bother calling because I'm not picking up."

teedubya
10-06-2006, 03:39 PM
I heard on Rome today that the Titans are saying that this is a violation of their contract and are demanding 550K of Haynesworth's 1.1 Million signing bonus back.

heh. Hit em where it hurts, baby.

DaFace
10-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I do feel sorry for the guy to a certain extent. I was calling for him to be suspended for the year, but chances are the guy just flipped out for a moment. He's now earned his spot in NFL history for a decision that was probably made in under a second.

Anyway, I think he deserves everything he gets, but I do think he's genuinely sorry about the whole thing (and not because of the money).

OldTownChief
10-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Has anyone heard if Gurode pressed criminal charges yet? If you do that shit in my town, the state will press the charges and arrest you. Who gives a shit if that ****ing thug is sorry. He should be shot in his ****ing face.

DaFace
10-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Has anyone heard if Gurode pressed criminal charges yet? If you do that shit in my town, the state will press the charges and arrest you. Who gives a shit if that ****ing thug is sorry. He should be shot in his ****ing face.

He decided NOT to press charges.

OldTownChief
10-06-2006, 04:48 PM
He decided NOT to press charges.

It shouldnt be up to him, IMO.

OldTownChief
10-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Why should athletes have the right to deside wether or not other athletes criminal actions are prosecuted?

trndobrd
10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
He should not have been suspended. There is no reason that his actions should impact the entire team by removing him from the playing field. The leauge should require him to be on the field for at least 25% of the snaps for the rest of the season.

Oh, and the NFL should suspend his helmet from participating for the rest of the season.

Rain Man
10-06-2006, 07:33 PM
He should not have been suspended. There is no reason that his actions should impact the entire team by removing him from the playing field. The leauge should require him to be on the field for at least 25% of the snaps for the rest of the season.

Oh, and the NFL should suspend his helmet from participating for the rest of the season.

I want you to be named to the bench. We need judges who have a strong sense of irony.

Mecca
10-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Why should athletes have the right to deside wether or not other athletes criminal actions are prosecuted?

In most cases authorities are going to stay out of sports, especially when the guy it happened to has no desire to seek it out.

I think it's a bit misworded though. Haynesworth didn't "stomp" on his head. He'd have probably killed the guy if he literally stomped on him. He put his spikes on the guys head and moved it back and forth then pulled his foot away it wasn't a "stomp".

Halfcan
10-06-2006, 09:34 PM
In most cases authorities are going to stay out of sports, especially when the guy it happened to has no desire to seek it out.

I think it's a bit misworded though. Haynesworth didn't "stomp" on his head. He'd have probably killed the guy if he literally stomped on him. He put his spikes on the guys head and moved it back and forth then pulled his foot away it wasn't a "stomp".

That is much better-just trying to gash the guy. Should be 6 games.