PDA

View Full Version : New Experiment - Streaming Game Rebroadcast

DaFace
10-03-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm playing around with another idea that could be pretty cool for some people. I've noticed people mentioning that they couldn't see the game for one reason or another nearly immediately after the games, so this might solve the problem.

It's possible to record the whole game as it's being streamed, so I may start trying to record the games, then rebroadcast them on a loop starting around an hour after the game. We'll see how it turns out!

Anyway, if you're in the mood to play around with it, I'm rebroadcasting the game on the usual SOPCast channel. I'd appreciate feedback on 1) how it works for you and 2) if you think you would use this, or if you would rather just wait a couple days for a high-quality torrent.

Thanks for the input.

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/10690
Download the player here (http://download.sopcast.com/download/SopCast.zip).

-----

Current bitrate is 267kbps. Let's see if that holds...

I'd appreciate it if some of you could try it out. I need to know if the stream seems stable, or if it seems to rebuffer or skip a lot. If it seems stable, I will probably try and stream the games at that rate on game day as well.

Current schedule (times are approximate):
1:15pm
3:00pm
4:50pm
6:40pm

JBucc
10-03-2006, 04:15 PM
So can you fast forward using this or do you have to watch the whole game through?

DaFace
10-03-2006, 04:16 PM
So can you fast forward using this or do you have to watch the whole game through?

Unfortunately, there's no way to do any fast-forwarding or rewinding except by hosting it on a server with real bandwidth. That's the drawback.

JBucc
10-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, if I had missed the game I'd rather watch that than have to wait for a torrent to download.

DaFace
10-03-2006, 04:23 PM
One nice thing - once commercials are removed you can watch the whole game in about an hour and a half. I started it around 5:15, and it's on a loop, so you could watch the whole game through starting around 6:45 or so.

morphius
10-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I may have to test that out tonight, sounds cool!

DaFace
10-03-2006, 04:25 PM
I will also mention that there's a POSSIBILITY that archived games may appear in a similar format sometime in the future. :) :) :)

FAX
10-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Hmmm. There appears to be a problem, Mr. DaFace.

It says, "Can not retrieve data". It has worked in the past, though. And, on this computer. I am disheartened but grateful for the effort.

FAX

DaFace
10-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Hmmm. There appears to be a problem, Mr. DaFace.

It says, "Can not retrieve data". It has worked in the past, though. And, on this computer. I am disheartened but grateful for the effort.

FAX

Unfortunately, SOPcast is still a bit buggy. It's working on my remote computer, so I know it's there. You might try:

1. Stop and restart the stream. -or-
2. Close and reopen the program. -or-
3. Restart your computer.

Hootie
10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Noice!! I could watch this game for hours!

FAX
10-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately, SOPcast is still a bit buggy. It's working on my remote computer, so I know it's there. You might try:

1. Stop and restart the stream. -or-
2. Close and reopen the program. -or-
3. Restart your computer.

Odd. Restarted the app. No joy. Restarted the app again. No joy. Restarted the stream. Joy.

Thanks, Mr. DaFace.

FAX

JBucc
10-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I will also mention that there's a POSSIBILITY that archived games may appear in a similar format sometime in the future. :) :) :)You need to break into NFL films and get our Super Bowl victory tape and play it. Also while you are in there could you destroy all video of Donks/Faiders SB victories? Thx in advance.

Smed1065
10-03-2006, 04:40 PM
It is working for me..

Thanks

unlurking
10-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Tried the Linux client. Must say it sucks ass.

Appreciate the effort, but the client doesn't work for Linux.

DaFace
10-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Tried the Linux client. Must say it sucks ass.

Appreciate the effort, but the client doesn't work for Linux.

I haven't used the linux version, but slag02 was able to get it working a couple weeks back. He'd probably be able to help you figure it out.

FAX
10-03-2006, 05:44 PM
What an awesome game. You have my gratitude, Mr. DaFace. May the muse of enormous erections take up residence in your boxers.

Are you going to play it again? I was only able to get it to work by halftime.

FAX

DaFace
10-03-2006, 06:35 PM
What an awesome game. You have my gratitude, Mr. DaFace. May the muse of enormous erections take up residence in your boxers.

Are you going to play it again? I was only able to get it to work by halftime.

FAX

I'll just leave it looping for a while. Watch it as much as you'd like. :)

Approximate start times for those still interested:

8:15
9:45
11:15

DaFace
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm going to shut it down for the night unless anyone still wants to watch the game. Let me know by 9:50 if you want the stream left up. Otherwise, I'll have it up and running after the game next week.

morphius
10-03-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm going to shut it down for the night unless anyone still wants to watch the game. Let me know by 9:50 if you want the stream left up. Otherwise, I'll have it up and running after the game next week.
I would watch it if you leave it up!

FAX
10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I've only been able to watch it twice, Mr. DaFace.

Unless it's a problem for you, I'd like to see it again.

FAX

big nasty kcnut
10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
me too even though i can't get to run now

DaFace
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Haha...easy enough. I didn't think anyone would be on.

I'll let it run through one more time.

AndChiefs
10-03-2006, 08:53 PM
I watched it, thanks :)

markd2000
10-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Will you be running the loop again on Wednesday? If so, what times? Thanks.

DaFace
10-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Will you be running the loop again on Wednesday? If so, what times? Thanks.

Probably so. I'm going to be playing around with some of the quality settings and seeing if the stream will remain stable at 300k (as opposed to 225k tonight). I'm open to requests about when to leave it running. It's really no big deal to me.

unlurking
10-03-2006, 11:10 PM
heh, Slag can't even figure out a closed argument!

(just kiddin' Slag)

Didn't try the CLI client, but the GUI won't accept new address inputs. Oh well, I don't plan on missing any game this year!

Very cool idea though. Hopefully SOP can get their Linux version fixed to work with vanilla configurations.

SLAG
10-03-2006, 11:44 PM
heh, Slag can't even figure out a closed argument!

(just kiddin' Slag)

Didn't try the CLI client, but the GUI won't accept new address inputs. Oh well, I don't plan on missing any game this year!

Very cool idea though. Hopefully SOP can get their Linux version fixed to work with vanilla configurations.

:LOL: LMAO
it wasnt vanilla configurations but it wasnt that hard.

i dont remember how i installed it ..i know i had to run it from the Console once it was going it echoed to a local port on 127.0.0.1 i would open up Xine or maybe i used Real Player and VIOLA Sreaming Content

worked well

SLAG
10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
btw..

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/noplace.jpg

unlurking
10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
yeah, I figured it must be the GUI client

The GUI client crashes often, does not have a working play buttion, won't let you edit addresses, etc.

Downloaded the CLI, but have not checked out the man yet

DaFace
10-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Stream is back up - now in higher quality! It's off of a better source, plus I've bumped up the bitrate to 300k (up from 225k previously).

I'd appreciate it if some of you could try it out. I need to know if the stream seems stable, or if it seems to rebuffer a lot. If it seems stable, I will probably try and stream the games at 300k on game day as well.

I'll set it to loop for a few hours. Approximate start times are:

9:30
11:15
1:05
2:50

DaFace
10-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Damn. Looks like 300k is a bit much (it's skipping a little). I'm re-rendering the video at 275, and will play it at that rate at the next loop (around 1pm).

Archie F. Swin
10-04-2006, 10:57 AM
dude, this rules!

My chances of seeing ths AZ game are pretty slim. This would really come in handy!

Rep to DaFace!

Luzap
10-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks DaFace

Luz
finally got to see it...

DaFace
10-04-2006, 12:05 PM
If anyone's trying to watch, give me 10 minutes. I'm finishing up on lowering the bitrate.

DaFace
10-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Game on.

DeezNutz
10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
DaFace--

I'm not an avid poster, as you can see from my count. But I wanted to thank you for setting up the stream; it's helpful for those of us not in the KC area. Big props. Question though: On Sun. you posted that the stream was up and running when you left for the game. However, it couldn't be viewed until very close to game time. Did you have it on timer? Something that I was hoping to know for the future, so I don't start going into a panic attack.

Thanks, dude.

DaFace
10-04-2006, 12:55 PM
DaFace--

I'm not an avid poster, as you can see from my count. But I wanted to thank you for setting up the stream; it's helpful for those of us not in the KC area. Big props. Question though: On Sun. you posted that the stream was up and running when you left for the game. However, it couldn't be viewed until very close to game time. Did you have it on timer? Something that I was hoping to know for the future, so I don't start going into a panic attack.

Thanks, dude.

It died for some reason. I had my fiancee check on it prior to kickoff, and it's a good thing I did. We may have a backup stream going from now on, or at a minimum I've added a link to a national listing of NFL streams to the "GameDay Links" thread. Hopefully that will help people out.

DeezNutz
10-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Sounds good. I'll look for this in the future. :thumb: