PDA

View Full Version : Scouts, Inc: 'Marty Ball' still stifling Chargers

FringeNC
10-03-2006, 05:27 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2611280&name=green_jeremy&CMP=ILC-INHEAD

'Marty Ball' still stifling Chargers
posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: San Diego Chargers

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I can't tell you how many people have told me that "Marty Ball," the conservative offensive approach favored by San Diego head coach Marty Schottenheimer, is back because the Chargers have a young first-year starting quarterback in Philip Rivers.

In fact, it doesn't have anything to do with Rivers. This is the same thing Schottenheimer has done everywhere he has coaches, including last season with veteran Drew Brees at the controls.
When you look at a coach's record, you see the wins and losses. In Schottenheimer's case, there should be a third column -- fourth-quarter losses. For this organization and for its fans, that number is way too high.

Last season, when San Diego narrowly missed the playoffs, you could point to two or three games the Chargers could have won but collapsed late and lost.

Schottenheimer simply does not show a killer instinct, and that mentality spreads to the entire football team. In Sunday's loss to the Ravens, there was no reason the Chargers even should have been in position to lose. Rivers came out extremely hot, spreading the ball around and picking apart the Ravens defense. In the first quarter alone he was 8 of 10 for 87 yards and a touchdown.

But then "Marty Ball" kicked in, and Rivers threw only five passes combined in the second and third quarters. At the end of the day he hd thrown only 22 passes. And even that number is a little skewed when you consider that four of his seven fourth-quarter passes came on San Diego's final possession, after the Ravens had taken a 16-13 lead.

It is time for the Chargers to realize that while they do have a great defense, they can't just assume that having a lead in the fourth quarter will guarantee that defense will hold up until the final gun.

You would think this team would have learned its lesson last season. Even though the Chargers are as talented as any team across the board, their inability to close game out is the reason I don't favor them to make much noise in the postseason.

If Coach Schottenheimer does not change his ways soon, we might be sitting around in January saying this 2006 Chargers team is the second-best team in NFL history to not make the playoffs. I think we all remember the last team to carry that moniker -- the 2005 Chargers.

Coach
10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Bah, if the Chargers were a best team not to make the playoffs, then the Chiefs should be considered as well, since the Chiefs ruined the Chargers' playoff hopes last year.

siberian khatru
10-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how a team that finished behind KC in the standings is considered "the best team never to make the playoffs." It's not like they fell short by a whisker -- they were a full game behind KC. Shouldn't the Chiefs be the "best team never to make the playoffs"?

Deberg_1990
10-03-2006, 05:37 PM
[url]
It is time for the Chargers to realize that while they do have a great defense, they can't just assume that having a lead in the fourth quarter will guarantee that defense will hold up until the final gun.

Wow...you could have said the same exact thing about the Chiefs from 89-97.

Its actually pretty infuriating that Marty will never learn from his past mistakes. Amazing. How many games does he have to have stolen from him in the 4th before he gets it through his thick skull???

ChiefFan31
10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2611280&name=green_jeremy&CMP=ILC-INHEAD

we might be sitting around in January saying this 2006 Chargers team is the second-best team in NFL history to not make the playoffs. I think we all remember the last team to carry that moniker -- the 2005 Chargers.

The ****ing media sometimes...

Something gets dropped by a talking head "Hey, the Chargers are the best team to not make the playoffs"

Then it gets picked up and tossed around by other members of the media...

Then somewhere along the way, its "hey the Chargers are the best team in the 200 years of NFL Football HISTORY" to NOT make the playoffs.

Now, its written about like its FACT. What a crock of shit.

I do happily remember the Chiefs literally stomping a mudhole in their ass at Arrowhead last year. :rockon:

Ending their playoff chances. Take that bitches!!

HemiEd
10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
When I think of Marty: 3rd and 6 = off tackle, 3rd and 12 = 6 yard pass to the TE.

ZootedGranny
10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
It also didn't help that "Lights Out" put a shoulder into Heap on that last drive, expecting him to break in half. Instead, Heap took the shot like it was nothing and rolled into the endzone.

ChiefFan31
10-03-2006, 05:42 PM
When I think of Marty: 3rd and 6 = off tackle, 3rd and 12 = 6 yard pass to the TE.

Actually, thats a 4 yard pass in the flat to receptions leader Kimble Anders :p

HemiEd
10-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Actually, thats a 4 yard pass in the flat to receptions leader Kimble Anders :p

Yep, that too. :banghead:

blueballs
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
do the Browns bring up Marty
and laugh too?

HemiEd
10-03-2006, 05:56 PM
do the Browns bring up Marty
and laugh too?

Not sure but I bet Horse face does.

sd4chiefs
10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
It also didn't help that "Lights Out" put a shoulder into Heap on that last drive, expecting him to break in half. Instead, Heap took the shot like it was nothing and rolled into the endzone.

That game could not have had a better ending. :D

HemiEd
10-03-2006, 06:03 PM
That game could not have had a better ending. :D

Agreed, I took the points at home in more than one place. :D

MahiMike
10-03-2006, 06:47 PM
ahhh, Herm Senior.