PDA

View Full Version : Most Disappointing first day Pick?

Logical
10-07-2006, 10:16 PM
One ot these three or one of your choice please name him.

Ultra Peanut
10-07-2006, 10:17 PM
LET'S SMOKE SOME POLLS

listopencil
10-07-2006, 10:18 PM
LET'S SMOKE SOME POLLS

I will not cave to your peer pressure!

listopencil
10-07-2006, 10:19 PM
LET'S SMOKE SOME POLLS

Also, I will not pressure you to peer into my cave!

cdcox
10-07-2006, 10:22 PM
All three of these guys were collasal reaches. I amost always give the Chiefs the benefit of a doubt on draft choices, but these 3 are all proven busts. Jenkins was a #1 pick and has zero chance to revive his NFL career, so he has to stand out as the worst of the trio. But All Time, there are many, many more terrible, terrible picks that would have to be cosidered.

Halfcan
10-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Trezelle or Toad Blackledge. Ryan Sims is up there. These kind of picks make teams miss the Playoffs.

irishjayhawk
10-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Ryan Sims. IIRC, we could have had Roy Williams instead.

UteChief
10-07-2006, 10:27 PM
I am going to say Jenkins, seems how I don't remember him.

KcMizzou
10-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Trezelle

milkman
10-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Ryan Sims. IIRC, we could have had Roy Williams instead.

Halfwit will be here to bitch about "Simms" in 5.....4......3.......2.........

GoTrav
10-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Trezelle or Toad Blackledge. Ryan Sims is up there. These kind of picks make teams miss the Playoffs.

I'd have to say Blackledge even though I was pretty young and a Royals fanatic. But considering all the QB's you coming out of the 83 draft, the Blackledge pick was a huge letdown.

I'd voted Siavii but I wouldn't really consider him the biggest since he was a 2nd rounder. I guess you could add Sims to the list too and a ton of others....

Anyone care to recap that draft and why we thought Blackledge was our guy?

1 Baltimore John Elway QB Stanford
2 L.A. Rams Eric Dickerson RB Southern Methodist
3 Seattle Curt Warner RB Penn State
4 Denver Chris Hinton T Northwestern
5 San Diego Billy Ray Smith OLB Arkansas
6 Chicago Jimbo Covert T Pittsburgh
7 Kansas City Todd Blackledge QB Penn State
8 Philadelphia Michael Haddix RB Mississippi State
9 Houston Bruce Matthews G Southern California
10 N.Y. Giants Terry Kinard S Clemson
11 Green Bay Tim Lewis DB Pittsburgh
12 Buffalo Tony Hunter TE Notre Dame
13 Detroit James Jones RB Florida
14 Buffalo Jim Kelly QB Miami
15 New England Tony Eason QB Illinois
16 Atlanta Mike Pitts DE Alabama
17 St. Louis Leonard Smith S McNeese State
18 Chicago Willie Gault WR Tennessee
19 Minnesota Joey Browner S Southern California
20 San Diego Gary Anderson RB Arkansas
21 Pittsburgh Gabriel Rivera NT Texas Tech
22 San Diego Gill Byrd CB San Jose State
23 Dallas Jim Jeffcoat DE Arizona State
24 N.Y. Jets Ken O'Brien QB Cal-Davis
25 Cincinnati Dave Rimington C Nebraska
26 L.A. Raiders Don Mosebar C Southern California
27 Miami Dan Marino QB Pittsburgh
28 Washington Darrell Green CB Texas A&M-Kingsville

cdcox
10-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Blackledge had won a national championship at Penn State the previous seaon. He had the right build for a classic pocket passer. His biggest problem was that he starred down his recievers. With better coaching, I think he could have developed. But maybe he never had the fire in the belly. Looked to be a good pick at the time. I'll let Carl Peterson have a free pass on this one.

KcMizzou
10-07-2006, 10:39 PM
maybe he never had the fire in the belly.I believe that. He was on with Keitzman just the other day talking about how horribly boring the NFL regular season is. I got the impression he just isn't very fond of football in general. It was really sort of odd.

KCinNY
10-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I'll let Carl Peterson have a free pass on this one.

That pick (bust) was six years before King Carl came to town.....to be fair, Carl's had his share of busts.

Anybody remember when he sent a 2nd round pick to Philly for Victor Bailey? That was pure brilliance.

Mosbonian
10-07-2006, 10:47 PM
For some reason we all seem to forget Percy Snow.....Matt Blundin....Mike Elkins....Brian Jozwiak....Willie Scott...David Jaynes....

Those were some real busts...

mmaddog

Mosbonian
10-07-2006, 10:49 PM
OK.....now name the former Chief's All Pro's that were drafted in the 2nd Round together after an anonymous and soon to be forgotten Defensive Tackle named Eugene Trosch.

mmaddog

milkman
10-07-2006, 10:54 PM
That pick (bust) was six years before King Carl came to town.....to be fair, Carl's had his share of busts.

That was fast!

LMAO

cdcox
10-07-2006, 10:58 PM

Blaming Carl for drafting Blackledge is a standing inside joke on the planet.

Carl has had his misses, but we went from 1970 to 1989 without a single player of the caliber of Derrick Thomas, Will Shields, Tony Gonzolas, or Larry Johnson. Carl's drafting record is so much better than what we did during the Steadman era in the '70's and '80's that you can't even compare the two.

Eleazar
10-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Larry Johnson.

Don't you know we could have had Boss Bailey????1111

KCinNY
10-07-2006, 10:59 PM

Carl has had his misses, but we went from 1970 to 1989 without a single player of the caliber of Derrick Thomas, Will Shields, Tony Gonzolas, or Larry Johnson. Carl's drafting record is so much better than what we did during the Steadman era in the '70's and '80's that you can't even compare the two.

My bad, not enough of a regular to be in on all of the inside jokes.

cdcox
10-07-2006, 11:05 PM
OK.....now name the former Chief's All Pro's that were drafted in the 2nd Round together after an anonymous and soon to be forgotten Defensive Tackle named Eugene Trosch.

mmaddog

Willie lanier and Jim Lynch,

cdcox
10-07-2006, 11:05 PM
My bad, not enough of a regular to be in on all of the inside jokes.

You're a better man for it.

Logical
10-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Blackledge had won a national championship at Penn State the previous seaon. He had the right build for a classic pocket passer. His biggest problem was that he starred down his recievers. With better coaching, I think he could have developed. But maybe he never had the fire in the belly. Looked to be a good pick at the time. I'll let Carl Peterson have a free pass on this one.:LOL: For the young uns Carl was not around for Blackledge.

KCinNY
10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
You're a better man for it.

:LOL:

The Scanlon thing cracks me up, though.

CHENZ A!
10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I'd say Sims, just because we all had such high hopes for him.

We pretty much knew those other guys were going to suck.

Mosbonian
10-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Willie lanier and Jim Lynch.

You cheated didn't you? :D

mmaddog

Halfcan
10-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Darrel Green would have been nice.

Halfcan
10-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Simms can still turn it around. ROFL

Logical
10-07-2006, 11:20 PM

Carl has had his misses, but we went from 1970 to 1989 without a single player of the caliber of Derrick Thomas, Will Shields, Tony Gonzolas, or Larry Johnson. Carl's drafting record is so much better than what we did during the Steadman era in the '70's and '80's that you can't even compare the two.How sad is that, we went from abysmal to merely poor.

milkman
10-07-2006, 11:23 PM

Art Still

cdcox
10-07-2006, 11:28 PM
You cheated didn't you? :D

mmaddog

Hell, yes. It's not what you know, but knowing where you can find what you need to know that counts.

Logical
10-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Personally I chose Siavii because I saw him as a bust from the moment we drafted him and we moved down and lost ops at better players to do it.

Kris Wilson on the other hand was IMO drafted to be insurance for Gonzo and we picked him too high, but he has not proven he will not work out yet either. He just has failed to meet expectations for him created by the fans.

Jenkins I knew almost nothing about other than he was a reach and that I thought Art Shell could develop him. I was wrong but he does not rank as an all time Carl bust. I forgot to include Carl in my thread header so including Blackledge is certainly warranted.

Halfcan
Brian Jozwiac was a real dandy-I wonder who we could have got instead of him-only 500 players in the draft were better.

cdcox
Art Still

I didn't overlook Art. I just don't think he measures up to what I'm pretty sure will be 4 HOFers (OK, LJ has a loooong way to go, but the talent is there).

Halfcan
10-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Personally I chose Siavii because I saw him as a bust from the moment we drafted him and we moved down and lost ops at better players to do it.

Kris Wilson on the other hand was IMO drafted to be insurance for Gonzo and we picked him too high, but he has not proven he will not work out yet either. He just has failed to meet expectations for him created by the fans.

Jenkins I knew almost nothing about other than he was a reach and that I thought Art Shell could develop him. I was wrong but he does not rank as an all time Carl bust. I forgot to include Carl in my thread header so including Blackledge is certainly warranted.

We could have gotten Jenkins after the draft for a measley Free Agent contract and a two bags of Dunkin Doughnuts. He was a HUGE reach.

cdcox
10-07-2006, 11:33 PM
How sad is that, we went from abysmal to merely poor.

Carl's problem on the first day draft picks has been home run or strike out. If we had converted a few of those strikeouts to line drive singles...

Halfcan
Dustin was a great pick. A future HOFer.

Halfcan
DJ will be a HOFer.

milkman
10-07-2006, 11:38 PM
I didn't overlook Art. I just don't think he measures up to what I'm pretty sure will be 4 HOFers (OK, LJ has a loooong way to go, but the talent is there).

If Still played on better teams, he might have measured up.

He was an outstanding player on bad teams.

Mosbonian
10-07-2006, 11:39 PM

Sorry Jim, but as a long time fan, I see many more poor choices in past drafts than Siavii....I think Junior was a reach, but not near as bad as Jozwiak or Blackledge or Snow.

Hell, IMO, the biggest bust was David Jaynes.....

mmaddog

cdcox
10-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Dustin was a great pick. A future HOFer.

Wouldn't be the first time a punter has made the HOF. Oh. Wait, yes it would.

cdcox
10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
If Still played on better teams, he might have measured up.

He was an outstanding player on bad teams.

Agreed. He was the cornerstone on which some good defenses were built. But I always thought he was a GREAT run defender and only above average as a pass rusher. NTTIAWWT, but DE make their bones by being great pass rushers.

KCinNY
10-07-2006, 11:50 PM

Despite their well documented incompetence, there were some damn good players drafted by the pre-Carl administration.

Neil Smith, Albert Lewis, Kevin Ross, Lloyd Burris, Deron Cherry, Carlos Carson, Christian Okoye, Art Still, Bill Maas, Mike Bell, Joe Delaney, Henry Marshall, Gary Green, Dino Hackett, etc.

No HOFers in that list, but several Pro-bowlers.

Logical
10-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Wouldn't be the first time a punter has made the HOF. Oh. Wait, yes it would.Ray Guy didn't make it? If so that is an injustice.

Logical
10-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Sorry Jim, but as a long time fan, I see many more poor choices in past drafts than Siavii....I think Junior was a reach, but not near as bad as Jozwiak or Blackledge or Snow.

Hell, IMO, the biggest bust was David Jaynes.....

mmaddog
*******To me Snow was not a reach, just a victim of stupidity in that scooter accident, he had tons of potential. Jaynes, I barely recall him.

milkman
10-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Agreed. He was the cornerstone on which some good defenses were built. But I always thought he was a GREAT run defender and only above average as a pass rusher. NTTIAWWT, but DE make their bones by being great pass rushers.

Great pass rushers almost always have another pass rusher on the team with them, and Still never really had that.

Those defenses were built from back to front, before the NFL neutered the secondary completely.

Even without much help, Still had 70+ sacks.

Not great, but given his situation, pretty outstanding.

Logical
10-07-2006, 11:54 PM
DJ will be a HOFer.For the Chiefs ring of fame possibly, he is not showing enough to talk the HOF yet.

Halfcan
10-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Great pass rushers almost always have another pass rusher on the team with them, and Still never really had that.

Those defenses were built from back to front, before the NFL neutered the secondary completely.

Even without much help, Still had 70+ sacks.

Not great, but given his situation, pretty outstanding.

Yep he was almost as good as Eric Hicks.

Halfcan
10-07-2006, 11:56 PM
For the Chiefs ring of fame possibly, he is not showing enough to talk the HOF yet.

If he keeps getting 9 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks a game. Plus Gun did not use him right last year.

Mosbonian
10-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Yep he was almost as good as Eric Hicks.

Sorry Halfcan, but comparing Art Still to Eric Hicks is absolutely silly.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
10-08-2006, 12:01 AM
To me Snow was not a reach, just a victim of stupidity in that scooter accident, he had tons of potential. Jaynes, I barely recall him.

He was a KU QB great....picked by KC to be groomed to be the next Lenny Dawson....was such a bust in many ways.

His claim to fame? Getting busted and arrested for taking a leak in public on the Plaza.

mmaddog

Halfcan
10-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Sorry Halfcan, but comparing Art Still to Eric Hicks is absolutely silly.

mmaddog

Missed the sarcasm-I will put LOL behind my stoopid comments next time.

Nobody can say Hicks was a reach for a draft pick though-he had some good years before he became slow and then even slower.

Mosbonian
10-08-2006, 12:06 AM

Nobody can say Hicks was a reach for a draft pick though-he had some good years before he became slow and then even slower.

Sorry.... :doh!:

It's late....and I am busy arguing with Sam Hall on another thread.

mmaddog

KCinNY
10-08-2006, 12:07 AM

IIRC, Hicks was an undrafted FA out of college.

milkman
10-08-2006, 12:08 AM

If some=1, then Hicks had some good year.

Halfcan
10-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Sorry.... :doh!:

It's late....and I am busy arguing with Sam Hall on another thread.

mmaddog

What in Sam Hall are you argueing about?

Halfcan
10-08-2006, 12:16 AM
IIRC, Hicks was an undrafted FA out of college.

Exactly, Simms was a high dollar First round bust that we traded up for.

Which has hurt the team worse?

Halfcan
10-08-2006, 12:17 AM
If some=1, then Hicks had some good year.

LOL But I think when you fall for the boot for the 100th time-that pretty much negates that year.

Mosbonian
10-08-2006, 12:18 AM
What in Sam Hall are you argueing about?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm being schooled as to why the Husker's are so much better than MU and why we shouldn't even bother to show up in Lincoln. Maybe we should save ourselves the trip and mail in our white flag.

mmaddog

Halfcan
10-08-2006, 12:29 AM
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm being schooled as to why the Husker's are so much better than MU and why we shouldn't even bother to show up in Lincoln. Maybe we should save ourselves the trip and mail in our white flag.

mmaddog

Yeah or maybe that guy needs to sit down and shut the f#ck up. MU is playing pretty good this year.

Mosbonian
10-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Yeah or maybe that guy needs to sit down and shut the f#ck up. MU is playing pretty good this year.

But, but...we haven't played anyone this year!

mmaddog

milkman
10-08-2006, 12:34 AM

Which has hurt the team worse?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-08-2006, 02:00 AM
We passed up Hall of Famers to draft Todd Blackledge. With that being said, who knows, maybe Marino would have smoked royal cock with the mid-80's Chiefs :shrug:

Skip Towne
10-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Where was Jeff Kinney drafted? He wasn't very good.

milkman
10-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Where was Jeff Kinney drafted? He wasn't very good.

1972 first round.

Braincase
10-08-2006, 07:14 AM
For some reason we all seem to forget Percy Snow.....Matt Blundin....Mike Elkins....Brian Jozwiak....Willie Scott...David Jaynes....

Those were some real busts...

mmaddog

...Paul Palmer... Ethan Horton... Greg Hill... Sylvester Morris... Eddie Freeman...

Logical
10-08-2006, 07:20 AM

Which has hurt the team worse?Do you have a mental block in speliing his name? I don't think we have ever had a Simms on our team. One has played for the Giants and one for the Buccaneers but that is about it.

milkman
10-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Do you have a mental block in speliing his name? I don't think we have ever had a Simms on our team. One has played for the Giants and one for the Buccaneers but that is about it.

No mental block.
He knows the correct spelling, but refuses to spell it correctly.

CupidStunt
10-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Derrick Johnson.

Oh, wait... I forgot, this is a negative thread. I should've known better.

CHENZ A!
10-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Wouldn't be the first time a punter has made the HOF. Oh. Wait, yes it would.

You mean to tell me that Louie Aguiar isn't in there?!? what a sham, that just isn't right! :shake:

RedandGold
10-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Of the three that you had listed, Jenkins is the worst. However, I put Blackledge well above any of these due to the fact that we could have had a HOF QB in Kelly or Marino instead.

If we picked the right QB, it would have changed the face of the franchsise for over a decade. The fallout from the Jenkins, Siavii, and Wilson picks doesn't even come close to this kind of impact.

NaptownChief
10-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Blackledge over Marino followed by Ethan Horton over Jerry Rice the next year are two very tough ones to top...

That said Siavii and Wilson both looked like crap picks at the time the were selected so bagging on them now isn't exactly like we are just taking advantage of hindsite.