PDA

View Full Version : James angered by lack of running plays

oaklandhater
10-09-2006, 11:12 AM
James angered by lack of running plays

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 9, 2006 12:00 AM

Running back Edgerrin James harshly criticized the team's play-calling after Sunday's 23-20 loss to Kansas City, saying the Cardinals didn't run the ball enough in the fourth quarter.

"We just got away from the run," said James, who gained 71 yards on 24 carries. "That's the stupidest thing. You have to be able to finish the game. You got to give us a chance, you know."

James carried four times for 10 yards in the fourth quarter. advertisement

Beginning with a possession that started with 9:29 remaining, the Cardinals passed on four consecutive plays. They were leading 20-17.

"That's like something new to me," James said. " I thought we played to win the game. You sit back and you wait and you say, 'OK, this is when my opportunity will come, this is when we're gong to wear them down and we're go to play to win the game.' But it's like we're doing the opposite."
The Cardinals did try to run on the last possession of the third quarter. James gained 9 yards on first down but was stopped on second and third downs.

Coach Dennis Green said that probably had something to do with the decision to pass later.

"We've got a certain amount of confidence in our passing attack," Green said. "I don't know if that's misplaced or not. And we don't have as much confidence in the running game, and I don't know if that's misplaced or not, to be honest with you. When you're 1-4, you're not sure of anything."

StcChief
10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
But Edge is just in it for the Money anyway...

noa
10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
If they had a decent offensive line, they would have been able to put the game away after it was 14-0. Just pound the ball, eat the clock, and keep all the momentum. They don't have that offensive line, though, so they let us back in the game. Edge followed the $$$, but he should have gone to a team with a decent OLine if he wanted to put up good stats.

Fire Me Boy!
10-09-2006, 11:16 AM
"That's like something new to me," James said. " I thought we played to win the game."
He didn't know Herm coaches us... WE play to win the game.

oaklandhater
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
So I would say with the way things are going it looks like green is going to get fired this year?

FAX
... When you're 1-4, you're not sure of anything."

ROFL

FAX

DaFace
Poor little guy...

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Obviously that interview was already translated for Edgerrin's normal tongue. A lot of that could have been lost in translation, which could account for the apparent anger:

Here is the original transcript, as best as I could recall:

We just got away from da run," "That’s da stupidest thang. ya’ll haz ta be able ta finish da game. ya’ll got ta give us a chance, ya’ll know."

That’s like something new ta me," James said. " meh thought we played ta win da game. ya’ll sit back an’ ya’ll wait an’ ya’ll say, ’OK, this iz when mah opportunity will come, this iz when we’re gong ta wear them down an’ we’re goed ta play ta win da game.’ But da thang haz like we’re doing da opposite."

Baby Lee
10-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Is this the same James who sealed their fate by failing to get a 1st down on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and inches?

Demonpenz
10-09-2006, 11:22 AM
James doesn't have the luxery of the colts going three wide with 3 of the 10 best WR in the league and dallas clark stretching the field.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Penz,

You obviously don't know how taxing it is to run against a 5 man front :shake:

oaklandhater
10-09-2006, 11:25 AM
lol he sounded so much happier before the lost

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 8, 2006 12:00 AM

Running back Edgerrin James delivered either a proclamation of hope or a eulogy this week when he summarized the state of the Cardinals.

They can blame many things for their fourth consecutive 1-3 start: the offensive line's breakdowns, the quarterback's turnovers, the defense's propensity for giving up big plays.

But remember one thing, James said.

"A lot of people want to point fingers here and there, and I just say there's no need to point fingers because this is what we got," he said. "We're not going to have a new offensive line. We're not going to have a new system. We're not going to have nothing new. This is what we got this year, and we just got to go out and make the best of it."

So far, the best thing to come out of the season is the team's new stadium. But in moving into their new digs, the Cardinals didn't leave behind the same old problems.

So here they are, 1-3, again, and going with a new starting quarterback, the fifth in Dennis Green's three seasons as coach. Will rookie Matt Leinart experience something different than Kurt Warner, Josh McCown, John Navarre and Shaun King?

The Cardinals hoped to have Leinart sit and learn behind Warner this year. But Warner fumbled 10 times, losing three, and he had five passes intercepted during the three-game losing streak.

Green was quick to note that Warner shouldn't shoulder all the blame for the offensive problems. And the coach ripped his offensive line this week. But it's Warner who lost his job, partly because the 10th overall pick in the April draft was playing behind him.

"The quarterback position, everything is put on your shoulders," Leinart said. "I feel for Kurt a little bit."

Warner has been through this before. He lost his job in St. Louis to Marc Bulger. In 2004 with the Giants, he was benched in favor of Eli Manning.

Leinart comes with an impressive pedigree. He was 37-2 as a starter at Southern California and helped the Trojans win two national championships.

"I think we've got to understand who Matt Leinart is," Green said. "I think that as far as college football is concerned, I don't know if there's ever been a quarterback in the history of the game who has had as much success on that level."

Life in the NFL is far different, however, and it's hard to predict how Leinart will play today against Kansas City or for the remainder of the season. It doesn't help that he is taking over an offense that has had trouble running the ball and protecting the quarterback.

"A lot of it comes down to what you're asked to do," Warner said. "You look at a guy like (Pittsburgh quarterback) Ben Roethlisberger. He had tremendous success, but he wasn't asked to do a whole bunch his rookie year.

"Did he pick it up faster than Eli? I don't know; the situations are different. I think that becomes the biggest question mark. What are the pieces like around you, and what are you asked to do as a young guy?"

Leinart's move into the starting lineup means the team's future starts now, James said. Everyone knew the day would come when Leinart would become the starter, but the Cardinals hoped it wouldn't be only a month into his rookie season.

"It reminds me of how Indianapolis was," said James, who spent his first seven NFL seasons with the Colts. "When I first got there, they had come off a 3-13 season. Peyton (Manning) and Marv (Marvin Harrison) were developing a chemistry. Then I came in, and we built something together, and that's what it's going to take. You can't think it's just going to happen overnight."

Deberg_1990
10-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Did anyone notice on that one run he made towards the sidelines that he basically just gave up at the end of the play? Ive noticed this alot about James. He plays very soft. I think this is why Indy felt that could lose him and not lose much. I liked James much better before that injury he had.

DMAC
10-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Anyone who wears gold teeth shouldn't be allowed to talk.

oaklandhater
10-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Am I the only one who finds it funny that he is talking about not pointing fingers before sundays game, then right after they lose he blames the coaching staff for not running the ball more?

oaklandhater
10-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Here is another one about him yelling about more running plays

By Darren Urban, Tribune
October 6, 2006

A couple of weeks ago, Edgerrin James said he wanted to be a bigger part of the Cardinals’ offense. With rookie Matt Leinart starting at quarterback, James might get his wish.

The Cardinals are expected to use the running game and the short passing game more often with Leinart, which will mean more opportunities for James against a Kansas City defense ranked third in the NFL.

“Whenever they call my name, I’m ready,” James said. “If I have to carry it 50 times, I’ll be ready 50 times.”

At this rate, James may need close to that to notch his long-awaited first 100-yard game. The Cardinals have had running backs reach 100 yards only seven times in their last 100 games, dating back to the start of the 2000 season: Marcel Shipp three times, Emmitt Smith twice, and one each from Michael Pittman and Thomas Jones. Smith was the last to do it, 31 games ago.

James’ personal 100-yard drought has reached seven games, tying the longest of his career. But James still wore a smile Thursday as he talked about his rough season thus far in which he has averaged just 68 yards a game.

“I am a fighter; I don’t give up,” James said. “I know good things will happen. Good things always happen for me.

“A lot of people want to point fingers, but there is no need to point fingers because this is what we’ve got. We aren’t going to have a new offensive line, we’re not going to have a new system. This is what we’ve got this year. All the playmakers, we just have to do something extra.”

James reiterated he is loyal to his much-maligned offensive line. And coach Dennis Green is standing by his biggest free agent catch, saying that James’ troubles producing yardage have nothing to do with James.

“I think he is running his butt off,” Green said. “I think it’s on us, not him.”

DANSBY TO START?

There is a chance linebacker Karlos Dansby, who has slowly been working his way back from a toe injury, could be in the starting lineup Sunday against Kansas City. Dansby, who has been backing up Calvin Pace at strongside linebacker, has nine tackles in three games as a reserve.

“He is playing hard, but he is not as fast as he was before,” Green said.

That’s because Dansby isn’t healthy. Dansby said he was playing at only “55 or 60 percent,” although his play is still “pretty doggone good, to be honest. I am trying to be at my best when my best is needed.”

Asked about the possibility of starting, Dansby was vague.

“Whatever my role is I will do it to the best of my ability and hopefully we get a ‘W’ out of it,” Dansby said. “It’s a team thing — it’s not about me and me starting. It’s about me contributing.”

PastorMikH
10-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Gotta love it. They run the ball the WRs complain. They pass the ball the RBs complain.

All is well in Raiderland!

StcChief
10-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Gotta love it. They run the ball the WRs complain. They pass the ball the RBs complain.

All is well in Raiderland! Deadbird land....
FYP. :p

FAX
10-09-2006, 11:43 AM
One would think that Edge would be used to a ball-hogging, megalomaniacal, self centered quarterback by now.

FAX

PastorMikH
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
FYP. :p

:doh!::doh!:

I've been too busy on other thread to have paid close enough attention to this one.
:banghead::banghead:

Skip Towne
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
2.95 yards per carry? Yeah, that makes me want to run it. Edge thinks he is the same RB he was 5 years ago. He ain't.

runnercyclist
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
overrated

Hammock Parties
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
He got a decent amount of touches, hes just not that good really. Personally I have never really thought that he was any good. He only had decent stats in indi because peyton manning was there. they had to throw so many guys on the receivers, leaving the line vulnerable for a mediocre james to exploit. I have never thought that he was any good, and its only bein proven this year, statswise.

Calcountry
10-09-2006, 06:25 PM
The Cardinals did try to run on the last possession of the third quarter. James gained 9 yards on first down but was stopped on second and third downs.

Coach Dennis Green said that probably had something to do with the decision to pass later.

ROFL

Rain Man
10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Any time Denny Green needs 2.95 yards, he should give it to James.

Skip Towne
10-09-2006, 06:44 PM
He got a decent amount of touches, hes just not that good really. Personally I have never really thought that he was any good. He only had decent stats in indi because peyton manning was there. they had to throw so many guys on the receivers, leaving the line vulnerable for a mediocre james to exploit. I have never thought that he was any good, and its only bein proven this year, statswise.
He was good for a few years but not anymore. Even with last years decline he still averages 4.2 ypc for his career. You can't say he was never any good.

penchief
10-09-2006, 06:57 PM
But Edge is just in it for the Money anyway...

He's a whiner. He's a locker room cancer.

Spott
10-09-2006, 06:57 PM
If he actually gave a shit about winning, he sure as hell wouldn't have went to play for Arizona.

Halfcan
10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I heard he was pissed because they were out of Gerry Curl in the locker room also.