PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic stadium, retarded fans....KC/AZ Trip report w/pics

OnTheWarpath15
10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Well worth the trip.....

I haven't watched my TIVO of the game, so I'm not gonna comment much on it....the majority, if not all of the action occured at the other end, witht he exception of Rackers miss.

The Stadium:

WOW......Great building. Very wide concourses, plenty of bathrooms, concessions. Was nice to be near the huge video board considering all the action happened at the other end of the field. Was pretty cool to see a game in a dome, on real grass, while enjoying 72 degree temps....

The Fans:

If Arrowhead is the "Sea of Red", then the U of P should be nicknamed the "Sea of NFL Shop"

A complete list of the teams represented by so-called fans:

Arizona, KC, Dallas, Philly, NY Giants, Redskins, Patriots, Broncos, Chargers, Packers, Bears, Saints, Bucs, Steelers, Rams and Colts.

Half the league.....some homefield advantage.

Ironically, I didn't see a single hispanic wearing a Raiders jersey.....

They didn't get loud until 3rd down. They didn't get REALLY loud until late in the game. They made noise when THEY had the ball. The Cards fans around us were rooting for them to lose......

The guy directly in front of us owns 6 seats.....a Steeler fan who bought the tix to make money and watch the opposition every week.

There was no razzing, at least nothing in english. Pretty pathetic.

Pics to follow. Hope those of you in attendance had a great time and got home safe......

OnTheWarpath15
10-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Pics:

Bootlegged
10-09-2006, 12:42 PM
They really didn't seem that LOAD on tv.

ptlyon
10-09-2006, 12:44 PM
They didn't get load until 3rd down. They didn't get REALLY load until late in the game.

LOUD. Say it with me... LOUD.

There ya go! You're gettin it! :)

BTW - thanks for the report.

StcChief
10-09-2006, 12:45 PM
They seemed loud when Cards O was on the field... LOL.

or was that just the Chiefs fans....getting loud to bug Lienert.

Saulbadguy
10-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I've heard that Phoenix and the surrounding area is just full of transplants.

Lzen
10-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Cool pics. That is one impressive looking stadium.

L.A. Chieffan
10-09-2006, 12:49 PM
I've heard that Phoenix and the surrounding area is just full of transplants.
Put it this way, there werent many people there before air conditioning

OnTheWarpath15
10-09-2006, 12:49 PM
LOUD. Say it with me... LOUD.

There ya go! You're gettin it! :)

BTW - thanks for the report.

DAMNIT CARL!

I'm and idiot.......sorry.....

dtebbe
10-09-2006, 12:50 PM
IMHO, it looks like the georgia dome with one endzone of seats missing.

The outside looks like Extreme Makeover "UFO Edition", and will look dated in very few years.

The retractable roof is cool, I guess. I don't understand why they would want the hassles of grass when most players seem to prefer fieldturf anyway.

DT

OnTheWarpath15
10-09-2006, 12:53 PM
IMHO, it looks like the georgia dome with one endzone of seats missing.

The outside looks like Extreme Makeover "UFO Edition", and will look dated in very few years.

The retractable roof is cool, I guess. I don't understand why they would want the hassles of grass when most players seem to prefer fieldturf anyway.

DT

A native told our tailgating group that the design was to look like a barrel cactus.

I guess barrel cacti (sp?) and UFO's look similar.....

JHC, I can't spell today......

DaFace
10-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Man, how did you find room to tailgate? Looked like the parking lot was PACKED!! :rolleyes:

Halfcan
10-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Great pics-thanks for sharing.

OnTheWarpath15
10-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Man, how did you find room to tailgate? Looked like the parking lot was PACKED!! :rolleyes:

And it stayed that way until 40 minutes to kickoff.

Didn't see a single charcoal BBQ pit. Probably a good thing, there were also no containers to dispose of coals.

Tailgating to these people means picking up some Tex-Mex on the way to the game and eating in the car......

Megbert
10-09-2006, 01:21 PM
When I get home I'll post some of my pics.

I even had a "Crabman" (My Name is Earl) sighting.

Megbert
10-09-2006, 01:25 PM
The bar I came with (group of 40+) had a nice Tailgate going propane tanks though. Brats, burgers and grilled hotwings and beer and bloody mary's of course. We were right in front of the big "3" outside the stadium.

Frank Boal came over and interviewed the owner. Frank said that the interview would be on TV today at 5pm KC time. On the web also but haven't looked for it yet. You might see my cousin holding an "I heart my wife" sign. He did this because she was busting his balls the entire time he was visiting me.

DJJasonp
10-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I had a great time yesterday....

The stadium was incredible...I had club seats (gift from girlfriend's brother) and they had flat panel tv's and (even better) bars everywhere...but they had all the morning games being played on many of the various tv's in that area....small lines in the many food/vending areas...couches, tables, waitress service....was a really nice setup....and a great idea for those that dont want to bake in the hot sun and would love to watch the morning games come to a close while having drinks and getting ready for your game.

The parking lot was freakin' huge....but it took what seemed like hours to get out of the parking lot.

The grassy/park area was a nice idea...they had a concert stage setup with a band playing, kids playing football, etc....

The fans were easy-going because they've been mired in less-than-mediocre football for many seasons....so no one gave us crap....and like someone else posted...they expected to lose.

Lots of girls in Leinert jerseys...but like many of the girls you see in this area (locals anyways)....they've had WAY too much sunshine on their skin....and in serious need of some lotion!

Someone else posted something about the noise...they're right...they didnt get loud until 3rd down...but it was somewhat pretty loud though. But you gotta love the chiefs fans making a significant level of noise on Arizona's last two possessions. Weird note about crowd noise...in the club level, glass walls go from the floor to the ceiling and you have to open a door to get to your seats....when you're in line getting a drink or going to the bathroom (and those doors are closed) you can barely hear any cheering at all...it's the weirdest thing....a big play might be happening, but you could almost hear a pin drop in line for a beer.

Fun time....and lots of chiefs fans (my estimation - 40%).

fan4ever
10-09-2006, 03:07 PM
First I'd like to say I was proud of the amount of KC fans at the game. A nice loud "...home of the Chiefs" drew looks of disgust from the local fans. It was like us saying "This is OUR house TODAY". I'm obviously a local here, and like many of the locals who've been here for sometime, I started following football long before the Cards came to town, and I chose Chiefs at age 10. You see a lot of different fans here because of both the transplants we have and the fact many of us grew up following other teams. I was sitting direct opposite side of the field to OnTheWarpath58 in the loge. We tailgated in the grass close to the stage and had a great time. With the heat, most people don't want to tailgate in the parking lot so that's why it hasn't become a big deal here...you need to come early for the grass. And by the way, I heard the stadium is supposed to look like a coiled snake so who the hell knows . . . looks like a spaceship to me, but well done inside IMO.

OnTheWarpath15
10-09-2006, 04:18 PM
We owned the stadium and the airport....

Wish I had gotten a pic, but arriving at Sky Harbor after the game was a cool experience.....fans checking in for their flights, high fives all around. Red was everywhere.

We pretty much took over Terminal 4. 8 gates in the terminal, and there were Chiefs fans catching flights at 6 of them. The flights back to KC, STL and LA all left within 15 minutes of each other, with plenty of fans on each......Pit/SD game on flat screens, still a party like atmosphere....

runnercyclist
10-09-2006, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=OnTheWarpath58]Well worth the trip.....

I haven't watched my TIVO of the game, so I'm not gonna comment much on it....the majority, if not all of the action occured at the other end, witht he exception of Rackers miss.

I was end zone lower level on the opposite end of you.

runnercyclist
10-09-2006, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=OnTheWarpath58]

If Arrowhead is the "Sea of Red", then the U of P should be nicknamed the "Sea of NFL Shop"

A complete list of the teams represented by so-called fans:

Arizona, KC, Dallas, Philly, NY Giants, Redskins, Patriots, Broncos, Chargers, Packers, Bears, Saints, Bucs, Steelers, Rams and Colts.

Half the league.....some homefield advantage.

[QUOTE]

I'll add Dolphins, and Raiders to this list.

Frazod
10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
First I'd like to say I was proud of the amount of KC fans at the game. A nice loud "...home of the Chiefs" drew looks of disgust from the local fans. It was like us saying "This is OUR house TODAY". I'm obviously a local here, and like many of the locals who've been here for sometime, I started following football long before the Cards came to town, and I chose Chiefs at age 10. You see a lot of different fans here because of both the transplants we have and the fact many of us grew up following other teams. I was sitting direct opposite side of the field to OnTheWarpath58 in the loge. We tailgated in the grass close to the stage and had a great time. With the heat, most people don't want to tailgate in the parking lot so that's why it hasn't become a big deal here...you need to come early for the grass. And by the way, I heard the stadium is supposed to look like a coiled snake so who the hell knows . . . looks like a spaceship to me, but well done inside IMO.

Apparently you haven't seen this yet:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=149345

runnercyclist
10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
The tailgate I joined had a Directv satellite dish in the back of a pickup truck to watch the early games and the Denver/Philly finish.

We cooked carne asada and brats.

Great time!

OnTheWarpath15
10-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I'll add Dolphins, and Raiders to this list.

I knew someone had to have seen a Raiders jersey......thanks

Simplex3
10-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I got to run around on a field with field turf on it, that stuff is AWESOME. I'd love to do my yard in it.

OnTheWarpath15
10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I got to run around on a field with field turf on it, that stuff is AWESOME. I'd love to do my yard in it.

Gotta love a maintenence-free yard.....

I like it also. One of the private high schools have it and it is really nice. The players only complaint is that the sand/rubber base tends to fly up and get in their eyes, mouth, etc.....