PDA

View Full Version : Jury awards $11.3M over defamatory Internet posts

dirk digler
10-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Be careful what you say about me because I may sue your ass...

:)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-10-internet-defamation-case_x.htm

A Florida woman has been awarded $11.3 million in a defamation lawsuit against a Louisiana woman who posted messages on the Internet accusing her of being a "crook," a "con artist" and a "fraud."

Legal analysts say the Sept. 19 award by a jury in Broward County, Fla. — first reported Friday by the Daily Business Review — represents the largest such judgment over postings on an Internet blog or message board. Lyrissa Lidsky, a University of Florida law professor who specializes in free-speech issues, calls the award "astonishing."

Lidsky says the case could represent a coming trend in court fights over online messages because the woman who won the damage award, Sue Scheff of Weston, Fla., pursued the case even though she knew the defendant, Carey Bock of Mandeville, La., has no hope of paying such an award. Bock, who had to leave her home for several months because of Hurricane Katrina, couldn't afford an attorney and didn't show up for the trial.

"What's interesting about this case is that (Scheff) was so vested in being vindicated, she was willing to pay court costs," Lidsky says. "They knew before trial that the defendant couldn't pay, so what's the point in going to the jury?"

Scheff says she wanted to make a point to those who unfairly criticize others on the Internet. "I'm sure (Bock) doesn't have $1 million, let alone $11 million, but the message is strong and clear," Scheff says. "People are using the Internet to destroy people they don't like, and you can't do that."

The dispute between the two women arose after Bock asked Scheff for help in withdrawing Bock's twin sons from a boarding school in Costa Rica. Bock had disagreed with her ex-husband over how to deal with the boys' behavior problems. Against Bock's wishes, he had sent the boys to the boarding school.

Scheff, who operates a referral service called Parents Universal Resource Experts, says she referred Bock to a consultant who helped Bock retrieve her sons. Afterward, Bock became critical of Scheff and posted negative messages about her on the Internet site Fornits.com, where parents with children in boarding schools for troubled teens confer with one another.

In 2003, Scheff sued Bock for defamation. Bock hired a lawyer, but he left the case when she no longer could afford to pay him.

When Katrina hit in August 2005, Bock's house was flooded and she moved temporarily to Texas before returning to Louisiana last June. Court papers that Scheff and her attorney David H. Pollack mailed to Bock were returned to Pollack's office in Miami.

After Bock didn't offer a defense, a Broward Circuit Court judge found in favor of Scheff. A jury then heard Scheff's arguments about damages. Pollack did not seek a specific amount for the harm he says Scheff's business suffered.

"Even with no opposing counsel and no defendant there, $11 million is a huge amount," says Pollack, adding that Scheff is considering whether to try to collect any money from Bock. "The jury determined this was a significant enough issue. It's not just somebody's feelings are hurt; it's somebody's reputation is ruined."

Bock says that when she moved back to her repaired house over the summer, she knew the trial was approaching but did not know the date. She says she doesn't have the money to pay the judgment or hire a lawyer to appeal it. She adds that if the goal of Scheff's lawsuit was to stifle what Bock says online, it worked.

"I don't feel like I can express my opinions," Bock says. "Only one side of the story was told in court. Nobody heard my side."

Simplex3
10-11-2006, 07:56 AM
We're all f**ked.

Dartgod
10-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Be careful what you say about me because I may sue your ass...
You suck!

No, Wait...

DaFace
10-11-2006, 07:57 AM
We're all f**ked.

Simplex, you're an asshole. Please don't sue me.

unlurking
10-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Man I am so tempted to go troll fornits.com.

dirk digler
10-11-2006, 08:01 AM
We're all f**ked.

No just you are

LMAO

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I'm going to be rich.

Simplex3
10-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Some points about this article:

1. If one person trolling the Internet and calling you names is ruining your rep then either your rep is weak or they're telling the truth and everyone knows it.

2. If women ruled the world all would be peaceful. My left nut it would be. You f**k eachother over dumb s**t realizing the entire time there won't be any positive outcome for you other than the suffering of your opponent. OVER SOME NAME CALLING for f**k's sake.

3. We may have just established that jury awards are now so absurd that we need to find a different system.

Simplex3
10-11-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm going to be rich.
Not after Titus pulls up the archives.

Say, someone pull up Redrum's address for my lawyer, will ya?

Redrum_69
10-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Damn, I'm screwed.

DaFace
10-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Damn, I'm screwed.

LMAO

jiveturkey
10-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Were the people in the jury mentally retarded?

ROYC75
10-11-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm too broke to pay, suffer you bitches !

Fish
10-11-2006, 08:17 AM

If it is a random collection of 11 of our peers.... then yes, there is a high probability close to half of them are complete morons....

Simplex3
10-11-2006, 08:19 AM
If it is a random collection of 11 of our peers.... then yes, there is a high probability close to half of them are complete morons....
Probability would state that 5 of them will be of below average intelligence. Reality would be that anyone of above average intelligence will get out of jury duty.

Lonewolf Ed
10-11-2006, 08:20 AM

Pretty much. Who wants 5 dollars a day for the trouble of being a juror?

Easy 6
10-11-2006, 08:21 AM
You suck!

No, Wait...
This development could destroy the Planet as we know it................

DaFace
10-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Wasn't there a lawsuit similar to this a while back where some guy sued the owner of a forum that was making fun of him all the time? I remember reading it, but can't remember where I saw it.

That one was dismissed, IIRC.

Rain Man
10-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Damn, I'm screwed.

My mom's lawyer would like to speak to you.

burt
10-11-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm going to be rich.

the truth is a good legal defense, mamasbot.......

alanm
10-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Some points about this article:

1. If one person trolling the Internet and calling you names is ruining your rep then either your rep is weak or they're telling the truth and everyone knows it.

2. If women ruled the world all would be peaceful. My left nut it would be. You f**k eachother over dumb s**t realizing the entire time there won't be any positive outcome for you other than the suffering of your opponent. OVER SOME NAME CALLING for f**k's sake.

3. We may have just established that jury awards are now so absurd that we need to find a different system.
It's the f*cking lawyers. :cuss:

Phobia
10-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Somebody should start a lawyer termination service. That would put a quick stop to stupid crap like this.

dirk digler
10-11-2006, 08:26 AM
My mom's lawyer would like to speak to you.

LMAO

Simplex3
10-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Somebody should start a lawyer termination service. That would put a quick stop to stupid crap like this.
Wait, won't we need a lawyer to defend us if we get caught?

jiveturkey
10-11-2006, 08:36 AM
It's the f*cking lawyers. :cuss:The lawyers didn't tell Mrs Sensitve to file a suit and the lawyers didn't push the retarded jury into a $11 million award.

The lawyers just happen to be benefiting from the stupidity.

Bowser
10-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Damn, I'm screwed.

LMAO

Better get that winning powerball ticket, asap!

Phobia
10-11-2006, 08:41 AM

You're gonna have to work out the kinks in the business plan, friend.

Simplex3
10-11-2006, 08:45 AM
You're gonna have to work out the kinks in the business plan, friend.
Say, can you build decks with trap doors to lime pits on the back of all our employee's houses?

banyon
10-11-2006, 08:51 AM
This doesn't prove anything except that people in Broward County are retarded.

Probably all Univ. of Miami grads.

Bugeater
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Why doesn't it surprise me that this happened in Florida?

Fish
10-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Why doesn't it surprise me that this happened in Floriduhh?

FYP

FAX
10-11-2006, 09:55 AM
This is quite a precedent and a very interesting development.

But, I think I could get more in punitive damages for the horrific emotional distress caused by being forced to quote William Carlos Williams against my will.

FAX

mikey23545
10-11-2006, 09:56 AM

Only if there was one left to prosecute us.

DaFace
10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Good memory.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137886

Cool. I thought it was here that I'd read that, but couldn't find it and couldn't remember the name of the site.

StcChief
10-11-2006, 11:05 AM
It's Florida, can they read, comprehend or spell?

Simplex3
10-11-2006, 11:07 AM
It's Florida, can they read, comprehend or spell?
This isn't JUST Floriduh, this is Broward freaking County. These are the same guys that thought the most pressing law enforcement problem they had in the late 80's was keeping 2 Live Crew from playing shows in their county.

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Broward Co., Fla. jury? These were the '00 election folks who claimed that police officers cars being parked close to polling places scared off potential voters.

Retarded? Yes.

Coach
10-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Hmm... I wonder if this violates the 1st admendment in any way/shape/form?

sedated
10-11-2006, 12:00 PM
think the mods could also be sued for letting those posts stay up?

sedated
10-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Hmm... I wonder if this violates the 1st admendment in any way/shape/form?

telling lies about someone (libel) is not protected by the 1st amendment

Demonpenz
10-11-2006, 12:03 PM
****in cheaneyburton

4th and Long
10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
I have a few neg rep comments that are going to make me filthy rich!!!

Halfcan
10-11-2006, 01:00 PM
I have several lawsuits pending against you guys-you will be hearing from my team of attornies soon-lol

Simplex3
10-11-2006, 01:14 PM
I have several lawsuits pending against you guys-you will be hearing from my team of attornies soon-lol
Sorry, but you won't be hearing from your lawyers ever again.

Iowanian
10-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Oh Effff...

wife.....about that house thing....my internet character called another anonymous internet character a butt trenching, foaming dickhole, and now our kids can't go to college.

Just think how quickly Dubya is going to silence his critics by paying down the national debt when I copy, paste and forward Jaz, Dense, and a few other's posts from here and email them to George's Attorneys.