PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards, 1st quarter grade

Wile_E_Coyote
10-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I'll just make a poll & not try to state an opinion one way or another. Though I'm not sure many people read before they vote anyway

I should have made it to where you can see who voted, Jet trolls & all

boogblaster
10-11-2006, 10:26 AM
B so far..Vote again in 6 weeks...

CupidStunt
10-11-2006, 10:27 AM
What was it that Michael Smith said again?

noa
10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I was disappointed with how we came out in the season opener. We just didn't look prepared. Still, he's really turning the defense around, which is exactly why we brought him here. He's had to deal with the unexpected losses of Willie Roaf and Trent, which are huge obstacles. Plus, we played better in Denver than we have in a long time. I give him a B.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
See this thread:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2959171&goto=postid

Easy 6
10-11-2006, 10:32 AM
I was disappointed with how we came out in the season opener. We just didn't look prepared. Still, he's really turning the defense around, which is exactly why we brought him here. He's had to deal with the unexpected losses of Willie Roaf and Trent, which are huge obstacles. Plus, we played better in Denver than we have in a long time. I give him a B.
Real truth is always self-evident, good post. I'll go w/ A-.

Gaz
10-11-2006, 12:20 PM
I am delighted with the revamped Defense.

I do not blame Edwards for the lethargic Offense. The loss of Roaf, Richardson & Welbourne was devastating.

I do hold Edwards responsible for the Denver loss. I understand why they went in with the game plan they did, but when we had a chance to win the game we mainlined pure Martyball. Play for the tie and go to OT. Of course, we never even touched the ball in OT. AUGH!

I am not wiling to claim that we would have won the game had we played aggressively on the last series. But I am very disappointed that we did not even try.

When a team comes out as flat as we did in the opener against Cincinatti, you have to lay the blame at the HC’s feet.

I have already explained why I hold Edwards responsible for the Denver loss.

The 49ers game was a pure romp. Sometimes you get the bear…

The Arizona game showed Edwards’ positive influence on the team. Down by 14 points right off the bat, the team held it together. They fought back and won an ugly, ugly game.

At this point, I would give Edwards a B.

xoxo~
Gaz
Trying to get over the Martyball outbreak at Invesco.

Dartgod
10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Who's the dumbshit who gave him an F?

I gave him a B+, FWIW.

HC_Chief
10-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I gave him a B. Would have been an A if we had defeated dungver.

IMO he has done a great job considering the horrific start: Welbourn getting busted again, Roaf retiring, CP allowing TRich to walk, and Trent's injury. A lesser coach would have folded-up tents. This team has come together and played tough-minded football. That is a testament to the coaching when you consider how mentally/emotionally weak they were prior to this season.

HemiEd
Too many mistakes in the first game, team was tight and did not execute. I think he has done a good job since, team could easily be 3-1.
B

chief52

I gave him a B+, FWIW.

Can't they make the votes visible? You should be able to see how everyone votes. By the way, I went with the B+ as well.

Hootie
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
I gave him a B. If we would've been more prepared week 1 against Cincinatti, he would've had an easy A.

The Rick
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM

I do not blame Edwards for the lethargic Offense. The loss of Roaf, Richardson & Welbourne was devastating.

I do hold Edwards responsible for the Denver loss. I understand why they went in with the game plan they did, but when we had a chance to win the game we mainlined pure Martyball. Play for the tie and go to OT. Of course, we never even touched the ball in OT. AUGH!

I am not wiling to claim that we would have won the game had we played aggressively on the last series. But I am very disappointed that we did not even try.

When a team comes out as flat as we did in the opener against Cincinatti, you have to lay the blame at the HC’s feet.

The Arizona game showed Edwards’ positive influence on the team. Down by 14 points right off the bat, the team held it together. They fought back and won an ugly, ugly game.

xoxo~
Gaz

Couldn't have said it better myself, so I'm not going to even try.

Chiefnj
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
C+.

A below average grade for the first two games:
Before Green went down I thought the Bengals were in control.
Clock management issues in Denver and playing not to win.

Above average grades for the next two games.
Dismantling of the 49ers.
A good road win against the Cards in a game KC should have lost.

alpha_omega
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
B-...2-2 would usually warrant a C, however...given the improvement of the defense and some of the challenges that the team has had to deal with (Roaf, Green, etc.), i feel a B is in order.

Also, only a couple of plays away from an A or a D.

Hoover
10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm impressed with this team. We got down 14 last week, we didn't panic, we didn't over react, we just kept playing our game. The same can be said of the entire season, we always come ready to play. This is very different from DV.

The best thing about Herm is not his coaching, its his eye for talent. This will make more of a difference in the coming years but you can already see a difference.

Hali and Pollard are great draft picks.

We picked up a buch of Street thugs at DT and they have played well.

I know the Jets trolls liek to tell us how Herm will destroy a team. But one of the things I liked about Herm was that this would be his second team.

I failed at my first business. I tried to do too much, and I always said that if I ever got a second chance I would do things differently. Well I got that second chance, and I've kicks some major ass. I think the same can be said of being a HC. I think Herm has a better I dea of what he wants and how he should go about doing it.

I'm very interested to see how quickly this team will rebuild after this season.

InChiefsHeaven
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
B for me, and ditto what Gaz said.

Archie Bunker
10-11-2006, 12:38 PM
A-

Defense A+
Herm has turned one the softest D's in the league into one of the league's best.

Offense C+
Considering all the things that have conspired against them the offense has turned into a decent group that can get it done. Herm and Solari have made the adjustments and have won 2 games with Huard starting.

Special Teams A
Colquitt and Tynes are excellent. The coverage units have improved greatly and Hall already has a TD

Intangibles A+
The team is tough and has more heart than any of the DV teams. The atitude change has been night and day.

ck_IN
10-11-2006, 12:40 PM
I gave him an A-.

To date I think he's done a great job de-DVing this team. Perhaps in a year or two the DV stain will be completely gone.

We have a defense that actually is an asset and an offense that is actually part of the team. And the most important thing is that we actually have a <b>team</b>.

Duck Dog
10-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm giving him an A- for the excellent job the D has been doing and especially for sitting fatass on the bench and being smart enough to play the best Dlinemen regardless of draft position.

Duck Dog
10-11-2006, 12:51 PM

I gave him a B+, FWIW.

Make that 2 dumbshits.

Dartgod
10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Make that 2 dumbshits.
They're either Donkey or J-E-T-S fans. My money is on the Donkey dipshits.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 12:57 PM
They're either Donkey or J-E-T-S fans. My money is on the Donkey dipshits.

vailpass and bill parcells.

Munson
10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I give him a B. I like how he got rid of all these bums on defense, such as Toasty Warfield, Junior Siavii, and Julian Battle. And I also like how he's benching guys who don't make a difference when they're on the field, such as Eric Hicks and Ryan "Krispy Kreme" Sims. Hopefully those two will be cut next season. I would give him a slightly higher grade, but we came out flat against Cincy.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-11-2006, 12:59 PM
I gave him a B+

cleaned out the D assistants/kept O assistants he could
made LJ the starter right off the bat
drafting looks beyond anything we've seen in years
got Carl to spend money on FAs after last years splurge
his stamp on the team is evident after just 4 games
retirements & injuries have been a bitch

only negative I have is TC may have been too soft

CoMoChief
10-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Well being 2-2 after your Pro Bowl QB, HOF LT and starting RT is really nothing to complain over. The teams that we lost to are good playoff teams and we beat the teams we should have.

However,

Some of his coaching decisions in the DEN cost us. We had that game, we were in the position to win and some coaching decisions cost us. Hopefully that isn't a sign of more things to come.

I chose C+. This is a mediocre grade, just like our winning %.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-11-2006, 08:10 PM
only 3 Jet trolls or jilted Dick lovers

FAX
10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I echo Mr. CoMoChief's sentiments.

I'd have given him an B if he had only tabled the Martynoballs strategy at Incesco. Win or lose.

FAX

kcxiv
10-11-2006, 08:18 PM
B plus. He's doing what he has to do to grind out some games. PUt is in a position to win in denver, which frankly we havent in a long time.

I really dont know what he needs to improve on. Once Trent gets back, and gets settled into the offense we will see how it goes.

htismaqe
10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
C is average, so I gave him a B-. Assuming Vermeil is a solid C:

F for the Bengals game.
B+ for the Broncos game.
C for the 49ers
B+ for the Cardinals game.

Rausch
10-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm giving him an A- for the excellent job the D has been doing and especially for sitting fatass on the bench and being smart enough to play the best Dlinemen regardless of draft position.

Ditto.

Would have said A+ but that Bengals game was an abortion. Rebounding from the pounding to take the Donks into OT at Incestco the following week showed what this teams is made of under him. Ditto at the Tards..

Deberg_1990
10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Id give him a B

DV got a C, probably a C - He didnt do crap in 5 seasons except build half a team.

cdcox
10-11-2006, 08:31 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

I am cdcox, and I endorse this post.

cdcox
10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
C for the 49ers.

Tough, tough audience.

Wallcrawler
10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I gave him an A, based on the job he has done. Remember, coaches coach. They dont put pads on and play LT.

The Bengals game cant be forgotten fast enough. From coming out in WHITES at home, to losing Trent Green to a cheapshot on a sliding QB, to ultimately losing the game.

But after that, the Chiefs did play Denver pretty tough and were in position to win the game. That had never been the case under Vermiel when the Chiefs travelled to Denver. I hated the Martyball approach, but it being Huard's first start in 6 years, I can kinda see why he pulled the reigns a bit tighter. I still say you cant play for 3 points and expect to win though, and since that game, that hasnt been the case. I think everyone, before the season, had the @Denver game as a loss, so that game didnt really bother me as much. We lose at Denver, Denver loses at KC. It just the way of things.

Obviously Herm made great use of the Bye week, getting Huard prepared to play as well as he has played. I can honestly tell you that in my mind, with Huard at starting QB, I figured the team's chances were slim to none. I can happily say that I was wrong. Some of that is Huard, and some of that is Edwards getting him ready to go.

The Chiefs crushed the 49ers, who at that point had the #4 offense in the league, and Herm's revamped defense allowed 0 points. I expected the Chiefs to win, but I didnt expect them to shut them out.

Then against Arizona on the road, being down by 14 right off the bat and battle back to win the game, that just shows that this team can keep it together when things are going pretty bad. That is a reflection of the head coach.

Given the Chiefs' problems at tackle, the inconsistent play of the WR position, and playing a backup QB, Herm has done a great job in getting the team to .500 through the first quarter of the season. Herm has got the Chiefs to a balanced team, where the offense, defense, and special teams are all big factors in the game, and not just relying on the offense to get things done.

Throw in Herm's actions in the offseason, replacing everyone on the D-line save for Jared Allen, Drafting guys like Hali, Pollard, and Page, and then cleaning out the guys who had nothing to contribute, I think Herm has done a great job so far.

Kinda rough start to the reg. season, but things seem to be looking up. Huard is playing well enough that we dont have to rush Trent Green back before he should play, and if they could just get something done at the tackle position, the Chiefs could still be a very dangerous team this season.

Predarat
10-12-2006, 03:04 PM
All in all I give him a B-. Pretty good job except for the Bungles game which REALLY drug the grade down.

Frazod
10-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I gave him a B, and perhaps that's too harsh. Herm has dealt with some SERIOUS adversity during his short tenure. We'd be lucky to be 1-3 right now and have absolutely no chance of doing anything this year if that assclown Vermeil was still here. But Edwards has turned the defense, a chronic liability, into enough of a plus that it is countering the loss of crucial offensive playmakers.

Herm also came closer to winning in Denver in one try that Dickless did in five.

All in all, I'm glad he's here. :thumb:

And I continue to be thrilled that Vermeil is gone. 4321

Hound333
10-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Gave him a B for making the Defense respectable again. I can't totally drop him out because two guys retired late and the starting QB got his brains scrambled. I think with Trent here the whole time we are 3-1.

kcirnamffoh
10-12-2006, 04:12 PM
I give him a C. 2-2 is average. It would be better even if KC still lost to Cincy if they hadn't COME OUT IN ALL WHITES!!

That was one of the worst decisions I've seen in recent memory. KC at home. In Arrowhead. First game of season and they come out in their travel uniforms??? To allow your team to roll over, expose their belly and put their tails between their legs before even the first snap is inexusable. I don't think I'll ever forget that. What a boneheaded move that was. So because of that a C is as good as it gets. Edwards preaches consistency. Stay tuned to see if any of that comes from him.

Shox
10-12-2006, 04:44 PM
This is exactly why Chiefs fans always get mediocrity.

Herm pissed off the Bronco game with his ULTRA conservative offense. Was never in the Bengal game for the same reason. Was lucky to pull the Cardinal game out and the majority of fans are giving him a B grade or better.

Yes the D is much improved, but what did Herm really do except give get rid of DV's buddies and give Gunther some real coaches to help him. Carl went out and got the players needed to improve this D, as much as this pains me to say. I think Herm helped in this respect as well. I believe Herm has a real eye for defensive talent, but as much as he helps on the defensive side of the ball, he hurts on the offensive side.

C grade at best at this point.

Anyong Bluth
10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
you gotta give the guy to adjust to his team. No starting QB or Tackles. Thats sort of out of his hands. Solari is new and getting a feel for things and what he's done with the D and Special teams play, let alone his input on the draft, I think that gives him a B+. He should be commended with how well he planned the Denver game- no one here can bitch and say he was too conservative b/c everyone on here was saying the same thing b4 we saw Damon get a feel for starting. They came out flat in AZ but he did a good job of keeping them focused and getting a win

Shox
10-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Sorry I just disagree. A conservative plan against the Broncos was fine. But when you get the ball with 2 minutes + and a chance to go WIN THE DAMN GAME and all you do is turn around and hand the ball to LJ it is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way to conservative. Not to mention the fact we had not run very effectively all day.

At that point in the game you have to go try to win the game.

Anyong Bluth
10-12-2006, 05:07 PM
We had been moving the ball, if not for the turnovers the game was sealed in my mind

Hootie
10-12-2006, 05:11 PM
C is average, so I gave him a B-. Assuming Vermeil is a solid C:

F for the Bengals game.
B+ for the Broncos game.
C for the 49ers
B+ for the Cardinals game.
C for the 49ers?

That makes a lot of sense...lol.

Tribal Warfare
10-12-2006, 05:28 PM
due to KC's current record a solid C

Calcountry
10-12-2006, 05:41 PM
the ball to LJ it is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way . after all this emphasis to you blew it on the grammer.

:p

Logical
10-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I would give him a C- so far

Logical
10-12-2006, 06:16 PM
C for the 49ers?

That makes a lot of sense...lol.I must admit I am also mystified by Parker's grade juxtaposition on SF and Arizona. Quite confounding.

RINGLEADER
10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I know I don't follow the board as much as I used to/would like to but can someone tell me when GAZ became a verb?

RINGLEADER
10-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Another thing Logical...that Lord Darkness in your avatar...is that the SOTA figure? Just curious if you're buying my gear...

Easy 6
10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
I would give him a C- so far
......................... :shake: ...............................

UteChief
10-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I went with a B. Not great but better than average and the defense has greatly approved. So I would give the Offense a C+, the defense an A- and the special teams a C.

Logical
10-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Another thing Logical...that Lord Darkness in your avatar...is that the SOTA figure? Just curious if you're buying my gear...Honestly don't know, another poster provided me with the pic to use for my avatar.

Fishpicker
10-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I give Herm an A- for restoring consistency to the defense and for keeping us afloat while Trent is recovering

Gaz
10-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Is that a classic bell curve or what?

xoxo~
Gaz
Statistics math geek.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I reckon there is no point in a second quarter/half season grade. The change wouldn't be much

chief52
11-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Is that a classic bell curve or what?

xoxo~
Gaz
Statistics math geek.

Classic example, Gaz...

CupidStunt
11-06-2006, 12:13 PM
I reckon there is no point in a second quarter/half season grade. The change wouldn't be much

Serious? It goes way up in my estimation.

3-1, wins @ St. Louis and against a pretty good San Diego team.

Keeping the together after continued injury issues.

Herm's doing a FINE job.

Brock
11-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I've raised him a full letter grade.

Chiefnj
11-06-2006, 12:32 PM
I've bumped him a full grade and a half.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Edwards was graded by us in the first quarter, Edwards is who we thought he was. If you want to crown him(slams the keyboard), then crown his ass...

stomps off..

Predarat
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
His approval rating is up to 93%

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/coach?coachId=9

That thing shows how fickle fans are, one loss and that thing plummets.