PDA

View Full Version : Q&A WIth Larry Johnson 10/11...Don't get too excited

TinyEvel
10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
...I like reading the Q&A's, but could this one be any more sucky? I'm sure whoever set this up said they couldn't ask about the penalty, or his neck or how he's feeling, or why he's had some trouble making the huge yards running as he did last year. But the home town stuff is okay, but damn, I have so many other questiuons... Like does the expectation of carrying the team with the Herm's emphasis on the run weigh heavy on his shoulders, or if being a fantasy #1 draft pick means anything to him, or if he reads the threads on Chiefs Planet, etc. etc. etc.

Q&A with RB LARRY JOHNSON - 10/11
Oct 11, 2006, 6:01:33 PM

Q: How long have you been familiar with the Steelers defense?

JOHNSON: “Since I’ve known the Steelers defense, ever since Bill Cowher has been there. They’ve always been the same defense, the same anchoring defense. It’s been the same championship defense since I was in Pennsylvania. They always play everyone tough.”

Q: Does it bother you that teams are game-planning specifically to stop you?

JOHNSON: “A lot of teams are putting eight in the box. It’s still something I’m getting used to as far as everyone putting that eighth player in there. It really doesn’t bother me that much because even if you do put eight in the box that gives other opportunities for Damon Huard to make plays. Even though I didn’t do much on the ground (last weekend), I still had 100 yards receiving. Running the ball is only one aspect of my game.”

Q: Did your approach to the season change when head coach Herm Edwards said you would be the starter?

JOHNSON: “It’s the same situation I took on when Eric McCoo left (Penn State). I knew that I was going to be the only guy back there. You just take it one step at a time and let your talent and what you can do on the field speak for itself.”

Q: Is it frustrating not getting play much during your first two seasons?

JOHNSON: “I don’t know if it’s frustrating, but it’s just something that every good player goes through. If you don’t think you should be playing, then you shouldn’t be getting a paycheck. You should just quit and retire and do something else. Every good player wants to play.”

Q: Can you talk about the heavy workload and getting so many carries this season?

JOHNSON: “I think the more I can carry the ball and the more I can do things with the ball in my hand gives the team an opportunity to put points on the board. I don’t want to put us in a situation where a backup has to do my job. They’re there to play when the game is out of hand or we’re winning by big, big points and it makes sense to rest me and let them go wind that clock down. But I never want to let a backup come in and do what I have to do.”

Q: How are your two tackles doing right now, Jordan Black and Kevin Sampson?

JOHNSON: “They’re stepping up and doing a good job. Those two guys still have to do the same thing I’m doing and that’s try to do this for 16 games. They’re all learning and trying to get better each practice and each game.”

Q: Is it a big concern if WR Dante Hall is not able to play Sunday?

JOHNSON: “Dante’s special teams aspect is so valuable that if he’s not back there then you’re always going to be wondering who’s back there and who’s carrying it. But the guy has got to carry the torch regardless of whether he’s back there or not.”

Q: Are you going to be at the Penn State-Michigan game?

JOHNSON: “No, I can’t. We’ve got to go by our schedule and I’m getting ready for Pittsburgh, not Michigan. I wish I could be there at the pep rally and everything, but it’s just one of those games where I have to watch it on TV.”

Q: Were you concerned when Joe Paterno ran off the field sick earlier this season?

JOHNSON: “No I wasn’t concerned because I’ve seen Joe go through worse than the flu or something. Being a New York kid, when we were in school during 9/11, and he went through that whole season knowing that he had a lot of family in New York. After that I knew he could fight through anything.”

Q: Do you have a relationship with Joe Paterno?

JOHNSON: “It’s cool. I come back during the summertime when they’re practicing and he always comes over and talks to me about certain things and I talk to him. It’s always been a really good relationship. My father still works there so it’s always been a good time for me to come back. He could be coaching a dozen players and he can still find time to talk. That’s cool to me.”

Q: Were you hearing people say that you might be another Penn State running back bust during your first couple years in the NFL?

JOHNSON: “I didn’t really hear that because I hadn’t even played enough to be a bust. Usually to be a bust you have to have played and I just wasn’t playing yet. Of all the running backs, all of those guys played. All of those guys had opportunities to start and play and whatever happened to them happened. I wasn’t in that situation.”

Q: Did you want to play for the Steelers so you could play near home?

JOHNSON: “Who wouldn’t? I played at Penn State. Who wouldn’t want to stay at home and play in front of their home family and in front of their home fans? Everybody knows that Pennsylvania is darn near Penn State Central. Everybody loves Penn State in Pennsylvania. I would love to play for both teams since I’d be at home. I’d be comfortable; I’d be in the same weather I played in when I was in school. It’s what everybody wanted to do is to stay at home where you had a fan base since you were in high school.”

Q: Were you excited when the Steelers were interested in you coming out of the draft?

JOHNSON: “I loved the fact that Coach Cowher came to my workout when we did that on March 20th when I was coming out. I enjoyed that, but there were other coaches there. Carl Peterson was there and he’s the GM. The GM coming to see you work out was even more special to me.”

Easy 6
10-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Superman

FAX
10-11-2006, 07:56 PM
They forgot to ask him about his favorite ice cream flavor.

FAX

TinyEvel
10-11-2006, 08:00 PM
They forgot to ask him about his favorite ice cream flavor.

FAX

LOL And what's with the "was it frustrating not being the starter your first two years?" That question is sooo 2005!

FAX
10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
LOL And what's with the "was it frustrating not being the starter your first two years?" That question is sooo 2005!

Exactly, Mr. tinyevel. Exactly.

But, I seriously wish they had asked this famous interrogatory, "Have you talked with Priest, lately?"

That would really piss him off.

FAX

hypersensitiveZO6
10-11-2006, 08:09 PM
He's pissed off with Dee Brown's performance.

FAX
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
He's pissed off with Dee Brown's performance.

ROFL

Probably, Mr. hyperliteZO6. The crazy freak almost broke his fumble record.

FAX

hypersensitiveZO6
10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
ROFL

Probably, Mr. hyperliteZO6. The crazy freak almost broke his fumble record.

FAX

Surely.

It's essential that Johnson gets his act together for this Sunday.

One mistake could (most likely would) cost us the game.

Halfcan
10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
What about all the fumbles?

hypersensitiveZO6
10-11-2006, 08:42 PM
What about all the fumbles?

I wonder, also.

He mentioned he was stopped, but he didn't mention the fumbles.

Then, he quickly complemented his 100+ receiving yards stat. :shake:

Hopefully it isn't a factor the rest of the season.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
I want Larry to shine this weekend. He deserves to have a monster game against a great run defense. Something insane like 180 yards and 3 TDs.

hypersensitiveZO6
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
I want Larry to shine this weekend. He deserves to have a monster game against a great run defense. Something insane like 180 yards and 3 TDs.

If he fumbles in the game, I'll really begin to start questioning his focus and mentality.

Hopefully, the fumbles just increase his anger.

I think if (1) Larry holds onto the ball, (2) he hits the hole quickly, and (3) the offensive line gives him a clear hole, he can have a huge breakout game.

FAX
10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
If he fumbles in the game, I'll really begin to start questioning his focus and mentality.

Hopefully, the fumbles just increase his anger.

I think if (1) Larry holds onto the ball, (2) he hits the hole quickly, and (3) the offensive line gives him a clear hole, he can have a huge breakout game.

The oline hasn't appeared to be getting off cleanly at all, Mr. hyperliteZO6. Even considering the 8 man fronts, etc.

It's really mushy and everyone is in everyone else's way. I hope that, having played together a little more, they'll clean it up. Otherwise, LJ is going to be stifled again, unfortunately. The guards can't do their job as well when the tackles get absolutely no respect.

FAX

hypersensitiveZO6
10-11-2006, 09:18 PM
The oline hasn't appeared to be getting off cleanly at all, Mr. hyperliteZO6. Even considering the 8 man fronts, etc.

It's really mushy and everyone is in everyone else's way. I hope that, having played together a little more, they'll clean it up. Otherwise, LJ is going to be stifled again, unfortunately. The guards can't do their job as well when the tackles get absolutely no respect.

FAX

That's what I tried to describe in number 3. --I should have been more specific.

I was just noticing from the 49ers game that Johnson doesn't seen to be running downhill as much as last year.

I understand patience, and Larry has shone much of it this year. With an extremely fast defense, such as Pittsburg, Johnson should IMO hit the holes quicker, running more downhill, in that short amount of time our offensive line can hold their blocks.

FAX
10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
That's what I tried to describe in number 3. --I should have been more specific.

I was just noticing from the 49ers game that Johnson doesn't seen to be running downhill as much as last year.

I understand patience, and Larry has shone much of it this year. With an extremely fast defense, such as Pittsburg, Johnson should IMO hit the holes quicker, running more downhill, in that short amount of time our offensive line can hold their blocks.

I know exactly what you mean, Mr. hyperliteZO6. I haven't pulled out any of last year's tapes, but I don't remember thinking of LJ as a "quick hitter". He lacked patience in his early games which hurt him. One could now argue that he has become, perhaps, too patient. But, I think the problem is that he can't use his biggest assets (strength and speed) unless or until he gets into the second layer of the defense.

All he needs is another step or two to get up some steam. Maybe if they move him back a little? Or, alternatively, get him in space on the outside ... but there's the tackle problem again.

FAX

hypersensitiveZO6
10-11-2006, 09:34 PM
I know exactly what you mean, Mr. hyperliteZO6. I haven't pulled out any of last year's tapes, but I don't remember thinking of LJ as a "quick hitter". He lacked patience in his early games which hurt him. One could now argue that he has become, perhaps, too patient. But, I think the problem is that he can't use his biggest assets (strength and speed) unless or until he gets into the second layer of the defense.

All he needs is another step or two to get up some steam. Maybe if they move him back a little? Or, alternatively, get him in space on the outside ... but there's the tackle problem again.

FAX

...that sounds correct. Last year, he didn't have to wait for the block to develop. It was there, and he could just run right through. Now, after taking the handoff, LJ is faced with at least one defender. If he surpasses that defender (most of time, he does), he then has to wait for a block to develop.

I'm just trying to think of way we can counter such a quick defense, like Pittsburg. I hear the method is to run right up the middle. Will that work?I'm not sure. At the begining of the game, we'll get stopped. I think Damon has to use the play-action and open up the defense. Damon Huard in the key for Larry's success. Nobody can handle the 8 men in box, even Larry. JMO

FAX
10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
...that sounds correct. Last year, he didn't have to wait for the block to develop. It was there, and he could just run right through. Now, after taking the handoff, LJ is faced with at least one defender. If he surpasses that defender (most of time, he does), he then has to wait for a block to develop.

I'm just trying to think of way we can counter such a quick defense, like Pittsburg. I hear the method is to run right up the middle. Will that work?I'm not sure. At the begining of the game, we'll get stopped. I think Damon has to use the play-action and open up the defense. Damon Huard in the key for Larry's success. Nobody can handle the 8 men in box, even Larry. JMO

You're right, Mr. hyperliteZO6. Running at a quick defense is the standard approach it seems. The problem is that we've been fairly unsuccessful doing that even against some less than stellar defenses.

My guess is that they'll try and put some misdirection in the game plan. Draws, screens, maybe a trap or two. Anything that will get the running game going a little. Any success there and Downfield Damon will be much better off. For my part, I'd like to see the classic Chiefs sweeps and stretch plays utilized more. Pull the interior of the line and let our dumb ass tackles block in. At least they can fall down in front of a guy. Maybe.

At least it will be interesting to see what Solari and Herm try and cook up since they're both admittedly committed to the run game. And, if we can get it established, Downfield Damon could have a nice day considering he's done well with no solid run game to speak of in the last two games.

FAX

hypersensitiveZO6
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
You're right, Mr. hyperliteZO6. Running at a quick defense is the standard approach it seems. The problem is that we've been fairly unsuccessful doing that even against some less than stellar defenses.

My guess is that they'll try and put some misdirection in the game plan. Draws, screens, maybe a trap or two. Anything that will get the running game going a little. Any success there and Downfield Damon will be much better off. For my part, I'd like to see the classic Chiefs sweeps and stretch plays utilized more. Pull the interior of the line and let our dumb ass tackles block in. At least they can fall down in front of a guy. Maybe.

At least it will be interesting to see what Solari and Herm try and cook up since they're both admittedly committed to the run game. And, if we can get it established, Downfield Damon could have a nice day considering he's done well with no solid run game to speak of in the last two games.

FAX

Right on.

I guess our key to offense is to mix it up. First, try to get the running game going, but at the same time, keep the defense guessing. Get Tony G involved. Run a stretch. Screens. Sweeps. Reverse. QB sne...nope.

I'd like to see us pull out some tricks--fleaflickers, etc. Use Cowher's own stragedy to beat his team.

Halfcan
10-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Right on.

I guess our key to offense is to mix it up. First, try to get the running game going, but at the same time, keep the defense guessing. Get Tony G involved. Run a stretch. Screens. Sweeps. Reverse. QB sne...nope.

I'd like to see us pull out some tricks--fleaflickers, etc. Use Cowher's own stragedy to beat his team.

Mike will mix up the play calling-first he will run left, then right, then up the middle.

Crashride
10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
We need to kill the misdirection, WR screens and LJ out in the flats with the occasional downhill running and occasional deep ball. Keep that damn quick defense on its toes. We have a shot boys and girls

TinyEvel
10-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Wow, all you guys are making me optimistic.

Psyko Tek
10-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I forgot LJ was from the area,
He may break out to shine in front of his old fans

Inspector
10-12-2006, 06:08 AM
I think Larry will put on a performance to remind the Steelers that they should have drafted him.

I just hope he stays healthy all season. That neck thing was pretty scarry for a few minutes.

We have a Johnson on offense to carry the team and a Johnson on defense to stop the other. I just hope they both stay healthy this season. We need them.

I'd hate to see the Chiefs have to play with their Johnson's out.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Mr. Johnson, have you shown Mr. Bartee the film from last week?

Huh?

You know, to show him that it is humanly possible to turn your head around.

vailpass
10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Sounds like LJ would jump at the chance to be a Steeler. Is he getting to like the small-town KC atmosphere more or is there a chance he might look around when he becomes a FA?

shaneo69
10-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Sounds like LJ would jump at the chance to be a Steeler. Is he getting to like the small-town KC atmosphere more or is there a chance he might look around when he becomes a FA?

I'm sure when he becomes a free agent, he'll take less to play for Denver. Because all good players want to play for the Broncos.

But to truthfully answer your "egging-us-on" question, I'm sure he'd like to look around and take the biggest offer, but that's what the franchise tag is for. D*ckhead.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2006, 11:23 AM
LJ isn't going anywhere. Carl will lock him up.

vailpass
10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm sure when he becomes a free agent, he'll take less to play for Denver. Because all good players want to play for the Broncos.

But to truthfully answer your "egging-us-on" question, I'm sure he'd like to look around and take the biggest offer, but that's what the franchise tag is for. D*ckhead.

What's up with the name calling? Does the prospect of being an 8-8 team have you a little edgy?

Another question for you:

Assume you are the KC GM.

If the only way a key skill position player (RB, QB, WR) stayed your team was to put the franchise tag on him, would you want him on your team?

Or would you tell him to hit the road; that you don't want anyone on your team whose heart isn't in it and that doesn't want to be there?

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Let's see : Franchise Larry Johnson or feature Dee Brown...... HMMM let me think. :hmmm:

shaneo69
10-13-2006, 11:54 AM
What's up with the name calling? Does the prospect of being an 8-8 team have you a little edgy?

You're one game in front of us, and you still have to come to Arrowhead. D*ckhead.

vailpass
10-13-2006, 05:47 PM
You're one game in front of us, and you still have to come to Arrowhead. D*ckhead.

I admire your ability to put on a brave face despite the despair you must be feeling underneath.

Easy 6
10-13-2006, 07:13 PM
I admire your ability to put on a brave face despite the despair you must be feeling underneath.
Yeah vp, our trepidation is paralyzing, especially when we are tied with the donx in total O (with a back-up QB ;) ) and our D is #4 while the denber fellways mope around at #12......were downright afeared!!!!!

Direckshun
10-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I'd hate to see the Chiefs have to play with their Johnson's out.
ROFL

Direckshun
10-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Assume you are the KC GM.

If the only way a key skill position player (RB, QB, WR) stayed your team was to put the franchise tag on him, would you want him on your team?

Or would you tell him to hit the road; that you don't want anyone on your team whose heart isn't in it and that doesn't want to be there?
I'd take a look at the production he offers my team.

I like a running back who wants the ball. I like a wide receiver who wants the ball. I want them to be selfish (just not to TO's freakish heights).