PDA

View Full Version : Any computer smart people here that can help me?

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Ok, I'm wanting to ungrade my computer quite a bit and I need to know if my computer would beable to handle it or not. My computer is about 3 years old. It has 40gm HD, 2.4ghz processor, 504mb ram, 64mb graphics card. What I am wanting to do is move the ram either up to 1gig or 2gig and I know that there is 2 slots so I would beable to move it up to 2gig, but would that be recommended or not? Also Im wanting to move my graphics card up to either 256 or 512, and I have an open pci slot, so im sure that would be ok. So my question is, would this be too much of a jump for my computer at all? Is it too old to even think about putting that much power into it? And I guess, would it work if i tried?

Also, anybody know the difference between PCI and PCI-E slots?

dr00d
10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
LOL, you shouldn't talk about computers ever again.

QuikSsurfer
10-11-2006, 08:24 PM
wow..random pic thread
http://www.kids-online.net/files/nsync.jpg

Easy 6
10-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Lace Bass looks like he's having a fine time with that oxygen thief on top grindin'.................... :hump:

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Eh, I figured this would happen here

FAX
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Ok, I'm wanting to ungrade my computer quite a bit and I need to know if my computer would beable to handle it or not. My computer is about 3 years old. It has 40gm HD, 2.4ghz processor, 504mb ram, 64mb graphics card. What I am wanting to do is move the ram either up to 1gig or 2gig and I know that there is 2 slots so I would beable to move it up to 2gig, but would that be recommended or not? Also Im wanting to move my graphics card up to either 256 or 512, and I have an open pci slot, so im sure that would be ok. So my question is, would this be too much of a jump for my computer at all? Is it too old to even think about putting that much power into it? And I guess, would it work if i tried?

Sweet Jesus, Mr. Jayhawkerman2001.

You're in a world of shit there.

FAX

dr00d
so you are the man dancer this year?

JBucc

Also, anybody know the difference between PCI and PCI-E slots?Get a bigger gigamyte HD and make sure you mobo has PCI-E slots. Otherwise you might as well build a whole new rig.

Hammock Parties
Why do ya say that fax?

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Get a bigger gigamyte HD and make sure you mobo has PCI-E slots. Otherwise you might as well build a whole new rig.

hah, i didnt catch that i did that. How do ya tell if ya got pci-e slots?

Otter
10-11-2006, 08:34 PM

You're computer doesn't have PCI-E, trust me.

As far as the memory, you need to find out what kind of motherboard you have.

As soon as you find out your MOBO (MOBO=motherboard) we'll be able to help you with memory.

JBucc
10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
hah, i didnt catch that i did that. How do ya tell if ya got pci-e slots?There's probably some scan or something that can tell you, but you could just crack it open and look.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
You're computer doesn't have PCI-E, trust me.

As far as the memory, you need to find out what kind of motherboard you have.

As soon as you find out your MOBO (MOBO=motherboard) we'll be able to help you with memory.

Where can i figure that out? is it there on the list when i click on system? or do i have to open it up to figure it out?

10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Get a whole new computer!!!!

They are cheap now!!!

I just got 2gb of ram ...260 gb HD..windows xp media edition which is great!!

A 100 watt 9 speaker stereo system with subwoofer..19 inch flat panel

dvd rip and burn drives..all that video card shit you want too!!!

for $1,200.00 :)

FAX
10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Why do ya say that fax?

Well, first off, your computer has a beable ... possibly two. This is very, very bad.

Secondly, you stated that you want to ungrade it. If you attempt this without proper protection, the whole darn thing might blow, maiming your upper extremities and possibly your eye.

This is a very touchy situation. I'd clear the building and lock down the area if I were you.

Then again, I don't know much about computers and I've been watching a lot of X-Files episodes lately.

FAX

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Get a whole new computer!!!!

They are cheap now!!!

I just got 2gb of ram ...260 gb HD..windows xp media edition which is great!!

A 100 watt 9 speaker stereo system with subwoofer..19 inch flat panel

dvd rip and burn drives..all that video card shit you want too!!!

for $1,200.00 :)

I am a rather poor college student... :-( Man that system sounds ****in insane

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Well, first off, your computer has a beable ... possibly two. This is very, very bad.

Secondly, you stated that you want to ungrade it. If you attempt this without proper protection, the whole darn thing might blow, maiming your upper extremities and possibly your eye.

This is a very touchy situation. I'd clear the building and lock down the area if I were you.

Then again, I don't know much about computers and I've been watching a lot of X-Files episodes lately.

FAX

understood.

patteeu
10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Otter is right, but in general I'd say you can do everything you want to do with no problem. You'll need a PCI graphics card as opposed to the newer PCI-e interface. You can probably add 2 gig of memory, but your motherboard will dictate that. It will also tell us what type of memory to add. No need for a new comp.

10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
I am a rather poor college student... :-( Man that system sounds ****in insane
Dude..once windows vista comes out in less than a year..you are going to be in deep shit!!!!

Those computers are going to cost a fortune!!!!

FAX
10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Otter is right, but in general I'd say you can do everything you want to do with no problem. You'll need a PCI graphics card as opposed to the newer PCI-e interface. You can probably add 2 gig of memory, but your motherboard will dictate that. It will also tell us what type of memory to add. No need for a new comp.

So, how does he find out what kind of MOBO he has, Mr. patteeu?

FAX

macdawg
10-11-2006, 08:49 PM
are you wanting to play computer games or why the upgrade?

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html - this is a good computer guide.

Their is a section in there about Everest which you can go over to find out your motherboard, etc. etc.

OldTownChief
10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Uping your graphics card shouldnt be any problem but like someone stated, you need to know the max your system board can handle as far as the ram goes. You also need a much larger HD.

Does your board have a PCI-E slot?

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Pretty nice deal on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883107184

FAX
10-11-2006, 08:59 PM
He needs to check his MOBO. Do you know how to do that, Mr. GoChiefs?

FAX

OldTownChief
10-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Take the side off and read the board, post some #'s and we'll figure it out. There is a good chance your board is equiped with a PCI-E slot.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2006, 09:04 PM
He needs to check his MOBO. Do you know how to do that, Mr. GoChiefs?

FAX

If he saved the manual it's in there. Short of that, just giving us the brand and motherboard type will work, as most manufacturers have a website for each motherboard. If he doesn't know, there are programs like SiSoft Sandra that will let him find out.

OldTownChief
10-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Pretty nice deal on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883107184

No it is'nt.

Mr. Laz
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Take the side off and read the board, post some #'s and we'll figure it out. There is a good chance your board is equiped with a PCI-E slot.
not if his computer is 3 years old ...... PCI-E is only a year or so old.

if he bought the computer pre-assembled then it's probably just as easy to check the manual for the mobo model number.

the amount of memory it can handle is not just determined by the number of slots. A 3 old computer is prolly gonna by at the 1 gig max memory level.

he's also gonna want to check to see whether he's got an intregrated graphics system or a graphic card. If it's a card, is it PCI or AGP.

if he has a AGP slot on the motherboard than he can upgrade the graphic card pretty cheaply and easily. Without a AGP slot he is stuck with a very lower end card.

Logical
10-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Any computer smart people here that can help me? (http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=149617)

Of course not.

Actually I lie, they just love to help you.

OldTownChief
10-11-2006, 09:38 PM

if he bought the computer pre-assembled then it's probably just as easy to check the manual for the mobo model number.

the amount of memory it can handle is not just determined by the number of slots. A 3 old computer is prolly gonna by at the 1 gig max memory level.

he's also gonna want to check to see whether he's got an intregrated graphics system or a graphic card. If it's a card, is it PCI or AGP.

if he has a AGP slot on the motherboard than he can upgrade the graphic card pretty cheaply and easily. Without a AGP slot he is stuck with a very lower end card.

I missed the 3 yr old part. It's probably got a AGP.

cdcox
10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Any computer smart people here that can help me? (http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=149617)

Of course not.

Actually I lie, they just love to help you.

Nice example of recursion.

Chan93lx50
10-11-2006, 10:22 PM
What is the brand of your computer and model number while you are at it, what is the serial number? With this information you should be able to go to the manufactures website and find all the information you will need.

Like everyone else said you need to know the type of mother board before doing anything else.

10-11-2006, 10:45 PM
You need to buy a new computer buddy. Sorry, but your motherboard is too old to upgrade.

patteeu
10-12-2006, 12:41 AM
So, how does he find out what kind of MOBO he has, Mr. patteeu?

FAX

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

In the "System Summary" section look at what it says in the "System Manufacturer" and "System Model" entries. That should be the make and model of your mobo.

Simplex3
10-12-2006, 12:46 AM
http://iweb.tntech.edu/rhaggard/Humor/TooStupid.htm

Actual dialog of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee:

"Ridge Hall computer assistant; may I help you?"

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

"What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words
went away."

"Went away?"

"They disappeared."

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

"How do I tell?"

"Can you see the C:\ prompt on the screen?"

"What's a sea-prompt?"

"Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"

"There isn't any cursor. I told you, it won't accept anything
I type."

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

"What's a monitor?"

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV.
Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

"I don't know."

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the
power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

"Yeeeeees, I think so."

"Great! Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged
into the wall."

......"Yes, it is."

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there
were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

"No."

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find
the other cable."

....."Okay, here it is."

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the
back of your computer."

"I can't reach."

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

"No."

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean waaaay
over?"

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's
because it's dark."

"Dark?"

"Yes, the office light is off, and the only light I have is
coming in from the window."

"Well, turn on the office light then."

"I can't."

"No? Why not?"

"Because there's a power outage."

"A power... A power outage? Aha! Okay, we've got it licked
now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff
your computer came in?"

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

"Good! Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just
like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you
bought it from."

"Really? Is it that bad?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

listopencil
10-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Since all of you are in here, I have an E-Machine with an available PCI-E slot. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon Xpress 200. Is it worth it to go get a PCI-E card?

WINXP Media Center
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (2.4 GHz, 512 KB L2 Cache, 1600 MHz FSB)
200 GB HD
1024 MB DDR SDRAM

Abba-Dabba
10-12-2006, 05:33 AM

PCI-E is more than a year or so old. I've had mine almost 3years now.

Jayhawkerman,
Stay away from AGP or PCI, stick with PCI-E. If PCI is what you have, you need a new computer rather than upgrading. AGP and PCI is outdated, PCI-E is the way to go.

If you are going to go the route of a new computer, stick with Core 2 Duo with a 965 MOBO, they are outperforming anything AMD has right now. 2GB's of memory at a minimum. 6800 series NVidia or 1600 series ATI or higher video card. I know price is a the main obstacle, but you have to ask yourself at somepoint. Do I want a comp that can still be fairly up to date in 4yrs or one that will be out of date in 1.

Abba-Dabba
10-12-2006, 05:36 AM
Since all of you are in here, I have an E-Machine with an available PCI-E slot. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon Xpress 200. Is it worth it to go get a PCI-E card?

WINXP Media Center
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (2.4 GHz, 512 KB L2 Cache, 1600 MHz FSB)
200 GB HD
1024 MB DDR SDRAM

Oh hell yes. A 256mb ATI X1600XT will cost you around 110-130. Or you could find a 512mb X1600 pro for right around a bill. It will make a world of difference from a X200, like night and day.

PastorMikH
10-12-2006, 05:58 AM
What is the brand of your computer and model number while you are at it, what is the serial number? With this information you should be able to go to the manufactures website and find all the information you will need.

Like everyone else said you need to know the type of mother board before doing anything else.

This is probably your best option.

Actually, on most brand-name computers (I know Dell does and my HPs do anyway) go to my computer and then click "view system information" there will be a popup of your system info and should also be another link in that info for manufacturer contacts. Call them and ask about the RAM.

Also, make sure you ask the type of RAM you need as well.

penguinz
10-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Provide the brand and model if it is a pre-built. If it is a custom build run either belarc advisor or cpu-z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) and post the system board info.

Unless you are a avid gamer wanting to play the latest games you should be able to upgrade this one to fit your needs.

KCTitus
10-12-2006, 07:43 AM
First, know your MB...you need to know what type of RAM to buy based upon what your motherboard will accept. If you want to upgrade the RAM, swap out what you have entirely. It's not always wise to try to mix/match different RAM types. Besides, if you're only reading 504MB RAM, you've got some issue with one or more of your RAM sticks.

As for Video, go with PCI or AGP because they're simpler, easier to find and cheaper. PCI-E shouldnt be a problem, if you want to go that way, assuming you have the latest OS and drivers available for the card.

Abba-Dabba
10-12-2006, 09:41 AM
What is the love affair with AGP around here? It's old, outdated and will not be developed any further than it already is. And guess what? It is being replaced by PCI-e. Why buy something that is already done for? It's wasting money.

And PCI... Why, just why? What do they make now, 3 cards that are PCI?

Drivers are free so that really is a non-issue. As far as OS goes, if you don't have XP, you need a new computer anyway. How old of a dinosaur of a computer do you have to have if you don't have XP? Maybe a decade old?

Mr. Laz
10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

and

ECS KN1 Lite 1.0A Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Free select MBs w/ combo purchase, while supplies last
$99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135003