PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question/Problem

10-12-2006, 06:10 AM
I recently had some problems with my old computer
A)The fan stopped working
B)The hard drive would scream,and I would have an hour glass on the pointer at all times..

My question is..

What would be the most cost effective way to get all the info off of that hard drive(that I didn't save) without frying the main board

penguinz
10-12-2006, 06:22 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156101

Bugeater
10-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Gently tap it with a sledgehammer.

KCTitus
10-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Im not sure it's possible to get data off a hard drive that wasnt saved to begin with. Wouldnt data have to be saved in order to be retrieved.

If your computer has a CD/DVD Burner, I would recommend, burning whatever data you want to disk. If you dont have that, get a 1GB thumb drive and save data.

Data types would include:

*.doc, *.xls, -- word and excel documents
*.bmp, *.jpg -- image files
*.mov, *.mpg, *.avi -- video files
*.pst -- outlook files if you use outlook
*.mp3 -- audio files

Those cover the majority of files...

If the 'fan' is dead, I wouldnt run the PC too long as it might overheat. If it's the CPU fan, even less time. Find what you can, save what you can and turn the PC off every few minutes. Most PC's have about 4-6 fans, so Im guessing it's the CPU fan that's out. You can purchase a replacement fan for 10-20 bucks. I would advise getting a new HD asap.

Saulbadguy
10-12-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm sure it is the system fan, or perhaps the power supply fan.

If it was the CPU fan, it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds before frying.

KCTitus
10-12-2006, 07:50 AM

If it was the CPU fan, it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds before frying.

Most likely you're correct, but it depends on just how 'old' the computer is...I dont remember cpu fans on most PIII systems.

eChief
10-12-2006, 08:11 AM
My solution would be a USB key disk/memory stick and a new computer.

10-12-2006, 12:50 PM

So..how do I transfer the info off of that???

should I take it somewhere and get the fan fixed??is it worth the cost??

Everything is frozen..with an hour glass on the pointer..so trying to extract it myself is pointless...

Thanks to all for the info by the way..

patteeu
10-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Most cost effective = find someone who will let you install your hard drive on their comp, then offload all data to either a 2nd HD or to CD.

Bugeater
10-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks to all for the info by the way..
You're welcome.

HC_Chief
10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Most cost effective = find someone who will let you install your hard drive on their comp, then offload all data to either a 2nd HD or to CD.

This is the way to go. You need to connect your hdd to another computer. I assume it's an EIDE hdd, which means you will have to connect to an IDE channel on the new host system using the grey ribbon cable. Be sure to set jumpers on the devices on the channel for master/slave configuration (your hdd would be the slave).

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 01:06 PM

That is what I was going to say??

10-12-2006, 01:07 PM
You're welcome.
Heh..wise ass!!! :D
:p

10-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Ok cool!!!

Thank you!!!
This is the way to go. You need to connect your hdd to another computer. I assume it's an EIDE hdd, which means you will have to connect to an IDE channel on the new host system using the grey ribbon cable. Be sure to set jumpers on the devices on the channel for master/slave configuration (your hdd would be the slave).

Thanks!!!