PDA

View Full Version : College Band placed on probation for severe misconduct

B2chiefsfan
10-12-2006, 09:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2622462 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2622462)

Wisconsin band on probation for road trip disharmony

Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. -- The University of Wisconsin has put its marching band on probation after receiving reports of severe misconduct during a trip to Michigan last month.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/1012/ncf_g_wisconsin_275.jpg
Brian Bahr/Getty Images
The Badgers made some noise in Michigan.

The school is not releasing details on what happened during the trip to the Sept. 23 game. But Chancellor John Wiley described it in a letter to the band's director as behavior "that can be seen as anything from boorish and offensive to patently dangerous and unlawful."
Wiley warned in the letter he would consider suspending activities and travel of the band or replacing its leadership if there were more reports of "gratuitous vulgarity, sexualized banter or joking, hazing, or other forms of demeaning conduct."
"I say this, you know, because I do not feel I have a choice: we either solve the problem now, and the band you have built to such legendary proportions survives, or we look at virtual extinction for a significant period of time," Wiley warned in the letter to band director Michael Leckrone.
Casey Nagy, Wiley's top aide, said the behaviors in question violated the band's code of conduct and were repeated despite previous warnings from the administration. He said some of the reports were from the bus trip home from Ann Arbor, Mich.
"If these behaviors recur, they are immediately at risk of losing travel to any postseason competition," Nagy said.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Rain Man
10-12-2006, 10:00 AM
It's the band. They're supposed to do this stuff.

Phobia
10-12-2006, 10:02 AM
This one time.... at band camp....

Band nerds are the most twisted devients of all. I don't know why John Wiley thinks a really mean letter is going to change that.

B2chiefsfan
10-12-2006, 10:02 AM

I think it's hilarious........!!!!!

When was the last time you heard of something like this???

B2chiefsfan
10-12-2006, 10:04 AM
"Hey, Todd..........we've got something you can blow on....."

burt
10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I think it's hilarious........!!!!!

When was the last time you heard of something like this???

I think they have watche "American Pie" a few too many times!!!!!!!!

StcChief
10-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Let's lump all Band nerds, computer nerds, math nerds,
science nerds, chess club nerds....

The must be deviate...ban them all from school.

they are a wart on our school's reputation.

Baby Lee
10-12-2006, 10:10 AM
No shit.
Marching Band without "gratuitous vulgarity, sexualized banter or joking, hazing, or other forms of demeaning conduct" is just tromping around in a field wearing a ridiculous getup.

B2chiefsfan
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM

REVENGE OF THE NERDS!!!!!

The remake will be out in 2007.

morphius
10-12-2006, 10:13 AM

Band nerds are the most twisted devients of all. I don't know why John Wiley thinks a really mean letter is going to change that.
Well, the UN keeps trying it...

Dartgod
10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I can't believe it took two replies for this to be posted.

Rainman has clearly lost his burst.

Predarat
10-12-2006, 10:17 AM
How DARE college kids act like college kids. I should have joined the band so I could have hooked up with those freaky band chicks for some freaky band chick sex.

B2chiefsfan
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I can't believe it took two replies for this to be posted.

Rainman has clearly lost his burst.

Don't count mine.....!!!!

:)

SCTrojan
10-12-2006, 10:27 AM
How DARE college kids act like college kids. I should have joined the band so I could have hooked up with those freaky band chicks for some freaky band chick sex.

Can't get busy on the bus. That's creates a significant traffic danger.

sedated
10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
"gratuitous vulgarity, sexualized banter or joking, hazing, or other forms of demeaning conduct."

otherwise known as life

Hammock Parties
10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
CONTROL EVERYONE

buddha
10-12-2006, 10:47 AM
They think they can stamp out nerdiness in marching bands with idle threats? If anything, this will ensure that the band geeks will redouble their efforts to be even more assinine and perverse...and we applaud them for their dedication! :clap:

Predarat
10-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Can't get busy on the bus. That's creates a significant traffic danger.
I duuno, if they don't wear panties and you wear those long boxers that actually look like shorts with a slit in front of them, they can sit on your lap, you can get busy and nobody would be the wiser.

MOhillbilly
10-12-2006, 10:51 AM

my dad was a math nerd and he was a deviants deviant.

Phobia
10-12-2006, 10:52 AM
ON THE BUS, not IN the bus.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I wonder how many planeteers are former band members?

Baby Lee
10-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I duuno, if they don't wear panties and you wear those long boxers that actually look like shorts with a slit in front of them, they can sit on your lap, you can get busy and nobody would be the wiser.
Talk about a blast from the past, anyone remember the footage of the couple getting it on in the outfield cheap seats at a baseball game? She was wearing a skirt and just hopped on his lap for a few moments of bumpity-bumpity.

MOhillbilly
10-12-2006, 10:54 AM

i played the violin.

B2chiefsfan
10-12-2006, 10:54 AM

nope

Wile_E_Coyote
10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
dammit, I could have played the triangle

Megbert
10-12-2006, 11:08 AM
they have nothing on Stanfords "scramble band"

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Band)

Controversial actions by the band

Irreverence has been a mainstay of the band throughout its over 40-year history. In the 1970s, one halftime show lampooned Cal student Patty Hearst's kidnapping with a formation called the "Hearst Burger": two buns and no patty. The band gave a tribute for the anniversary of Jayne Mansfield's death, by announcing over the PA the urban legend of how she had been decapitated in an automobile accident. Then band then played the song "Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body." The band is also reputed to have performed a "Tribute to abortion" halftime show featuring a coat hanger formation.[citation needed]

Members can be often seen in the stands with their trousers dropped (usually at the end of a close game). Obscene gestures and rude remarks towards opposing fans and teams are common themes within their shows. It is rumored that network television sports producers are instructed not to televise the band.

The LSJUMB has been disciplined for controversial performances on several occasions:

* In 1986, the University suspended the band from traveling to the UCLA football game scheduled on November 8th, 1986 after incidents in previous games that season. On October 11th, 1986, there occurred the infamous incident of public urination following the home football game against the University of Washington. (Although many swear that this incident occurred during the halftime show, actually two band members were caught urinating on the field after the game, when the stadium was nearly-empty.) During the halftime of the home USC game on October 19th, 1986, the band spelled out "NO BALLZ". For the next game they performed an anagram show and spelled out an anagrammed four-letter word ("NCUT"). However, the "NCUT" was actually supposed to be "NEUT"-- some wayward trombones changed the "E" to a "C" without permission. This final infraction is what cost them the Los Angeles trip. After the suspension was served, the band appeared at the Cal game wearing angel halos in an attempt to apologize and get invited to travel with the football team to a bowl game. The band attended the Gator Bowl that year, amid very close scrutiny.

* In 1990, Stanford suspended the band for a single game after their halftime show at the University of Oregon criticized the logging of the spotted owl's habitats in the northwest United States. Governor Neil Goldschmidt (D-OR) issued a decree that the band not return to Oregon for several years; the band did not return until 2001. [1] After the spotted owl incident, all halftime shows were reviewed and approved by Stanford's Athletic Department.
* In 1991, the University of Notre Dame banned the LSJUMB from visiting its campus after a show at Stanford where the drum major (who had been attacked by a fan of Notre Dame) dressed as a nun and conducted the band with a crucifix instead of a baton.
* In 1992, the Athletic Department pressured the LSJUMB to fire its announcers after one used the phrase "No chuppah, no schtuppa" (see schtupp) at a San Jose State University game halftime show.
* In 1994, the Band was disciplined after nineteen members of the band skipped a field rehearsal in Los Angeles to play outside the L.A. County Courthouse during jury selection for the O. J. Simpson trial. The band's song selection included an arrangement of The Zombies' "She's Not There." Defense lawyer Robert Shapiro described the incident to the media as "a new low in tasteless behavior."
* In 1997, the Band was again disciplined for shows lampooning Catholicism and the Irish at a game against Notre Dame. The Band put on a show entitled "These Irish, Why Must they Fight?" Besides the mocking supposedly stereotypical Irish-Catholic behavior, there was a Riverdance formation, and a Potato Famine joke.
* In 2002 and 2006, the Band was sanctioned for off-the-field behavior, including violations of the University alcohol policy.
* In 2004, the Band drew national attention and Mormon ire for joking about polygamy, which was practiced by some Mormons until 1890. This occurred during a game against Brigham Young University. The Dollies appeared in wedding veils and the announcer referred to marriage as "the sacred bond that exists between a man and a woman... and a woman... and a woman... and a woman... and a woman."
* In 2006, the band was suspended by Stanford administrators when their former "Band Shak" was vandalized. The Shak, a trailer that served as a temporary home for the band, was already in a decrepit state before it was found with broken windows and profanities spray painted on the walls. Administrators believed members of the band were responsible for the damage, as members of the band had believed the shak was set to be demolished the next day. The incident occurred after the band moved into a new $2.8 million Band Shak. [2]

The band's hijinks were given a wider audience when they became the subject of the "Not My Job" segment on National Public Radio's Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! on September 9, 2006. Wait Wait Link (http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=35&prgDate=09-09-2006&view=storyview)

Dartgod
10-12-2006, 11:09 AM
i played the banjo.
Fixed your post...

Fire Me Boy!
10-12-2006, 11:16 AM
dammit, I could have played the triangle
But what we need is more cowbell!

kepp
10-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Wiley warned in the letter to band director Michael Leckrone
In other news, Kansas State is said to be the front runner to hire Mr. Leckrone as their new band director.

SCTrojan
10-12-2006, 11:41 AM
they have nothing on Stanfords "scramble band"

Those guys are truly insane. When we played them my senior year, I remember them selling shirts that said PUSC on them. I thought it was pretty freaking hilarious.

L.A. Chieffan
10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
CONTROL EVERYONE

HAHA yeah...ummm I played sports too :)

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
You know the pussification of our country is reaching new levels when they call a school bands activities patently dangerous and unlawful. Give me a friggen break.

Rain Man
10-12-2006, 11:59 AM
For the next game they performed an anagram show and spelled out an anagrammed four-letter word ("NCUT"). However, the "NCUT" was actually supposed to be "NEUT"-- some wayward trombones changed the "E" to a "C" without permission. This final infraction is what cost them the Los Angeles trip.

That made me bust out laughing.

sedated
10-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Talk about a blast from the past, anyone remember the footage of the couple getting it on in the outfield cheap seats at a baseball game? She was wearing a skirt and just hopped on his lap for a few moments of bumpity-bumpity.

link?

please?

DaFace
10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
link?

please?

http://www.funny-games.biz/videos/429-ballparksex.html

This should be obvious, but NSFW.

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Wow, crazy band players-Is Tommy Lee playing with them on drums??

B2chiefsfan
10-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Wow, crazy band players-Is Tommy Lee playing with them on drums??

They should come up with some kind of reality show.....

gblowfish
10-12-2006, 01:32 PM
My wife was in the K-State band in the late 80s. They went to a bowl game in Shreveport, LA, the "Independence Bowl." Except they called it the "Swamp Bowl" because it rained for three days straight, including during the entire game.

The other school was Wisconsin. Wifey said Shreveport is in a dry county. So the K-State band and the Wisconsin Band pooled all their meal money, hired two taxis to drive them to the county line, bought as much liquor as their pooled meal money would buy, and got blotto before and after the game.

She said the Badger Band were a bunch of major partiers. Since beer was practically invented in Wisconsin, they really know how to throw down...or up, as the case may be....

seclark
10-12-2006, 01:34 PM
is this where the guy wipes off his schlong w/her panties and hands them back to her?
sec

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 01:34 PM
What else is there to do there but drink.

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 01:35 PM
and fornicate with drunk girls