PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a CELL PHONE

BWillie
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I am going to be getting new phone service soon. My contract with Verizon is going to expire, and I don't know if I'm going to renew with them or not. I'm looking for a new phone, and probably a new contract/provider so I can get a discount on a nice phone/PDA type thing. I am looking for a phone that

1) I can access the internet, not crappy text internet, but REAL internet. Chiefsplanet, ESPN, www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com, myspace, with pictures and everything.

2) I don't want to pay more than 60-70 bucks a month...which would include roughly 500 minutes, 200-400 text messages, and unlimited nights and weekends.

3) I want to be able to use instant messaging such as YAHOO and AIM.

4) I want to be able to take and store pictures of a rather high quality and having some video would be nice.

I went to T-Mobile today, and they had a plan for 39.99 (600 anytime minutes and nights and weekends). Which sounded decent to me. In addition to that, I looked at the sidekick 3. Supposedly for 20 dollars you can use the internet anytime you want unlimited and this includes text messages which I found to be hard to believe. The only downside is the phone is $300.

What kind of phones do some of you guys have with capabilities like this? Where should I start to look, I really don't know that much about cell phones really.

What are some other phones that can access internet for a rather cheap price? Blackberry, Sidekick 3..?

vailpass
10-12-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.fireflymobile.com/

SLAG
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
www.nextel.com

:D

StcChief
10-12-2006, 05:10 PM
www.nextel.com

:D

Queue Slag....right on time :)

rageeumr
10-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Man I was going to try to get in here and tell you that no matter what that lie-peddler Slag has to say, nextel sucks. Apparently I'm not quick enough.

ChiefsFan4Life
10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.letstalk.com/

BWillie
10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Anybody tried that Employee offer Slag talks about? 30 bucks.. unlimited internet, messages, and picture messages....as well as 500 anytime minutes including nights and weekends. I know the coverage sucks, but hell thats a good deal?

Simplex3
10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Anyone buying Nextel stuff is just signing on for Sprint. Just make sure you get a dual network phone and then you'll be able to ignore all the Nextel stuff soon enough.

Simplex3
10-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Check out any of the new slew of MVNOs out there. Firefly, Cricket, etc. Find out who's network they piggyback on before you buy, however.

http://www.mobilein.com/what_is_a_mvno.htm

NUMBER7
10-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Good non-biased site to visit.

http://www.howardforums.com/

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Stay away from SPRINT-the have the WORST customer service in America. Shitty coverage too.

Simplex3
10-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Stay away from SPRINT-the have the WORST customer service in America. Shitty coverage too.
Their customer service is absolute s**t, no doubt about it. Their coverage is fine, however.

IMO you should go with a GSM based provider like TMobile or Cingular. Their devices and networks roll over less and are far less problematic than CDMA carriers (Sprint and Verizon).

BWillie
10-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Their customer service is absolute s**t, no doubt about it. Their coverage is fine, however.

IMO you should go with a GSM based provider like TMobile or Cingular. Their devices and networks roll over less and are far less problematic than CDMA carriers (Sprint and Verizon).

What in the shit does this mean? CDMA carriers? I don't really care about customer service, just the cheapest way that I will actually get reception in the Kansas City greater Area and has cheap, fast, internet. After reading some of the stuff on Howard Forums about cell phones and service I am more confused than ever.

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 08:42 PM
You will care about customer service after Sprint F#cks your bill up and you are on hold for an hour at a time with some moron trying to get THEIR mistakes fixed.

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Verizon is the way to go.

boogblaster
10-12-2006, 10:21 PM
US Cellular has a new plan..the NOKIA 6019-I ph..$49.00 month nationwide....