PDA

View Full Version : NFT..... Any Deer Hunters on here - Looking for advice on Bows and Rifles

Vaspar
10-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Interested in getting started in the sport. I've done a lot of bird hunting, but never really was interested in deer hunting until recently. A good friend is really into the Bow hunting for both deer and turkey, and the daughters boyfriend is into the rifle season. I have the resources to go with Bow/Rifle, and would like some insight as to the weapon of choice amoung you who are already in the sport.

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
nope let Bambi live

Phobia
10-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Muzzleloader is the only way to go.

blueballs
10-12-2006, 09:09 PM
get the one with the
headlight attachment

Kylo Ren
10-12-2006, 09:11 PM
I suggest an AK-47.

PastorMikH
10-12-2006, 09:17 PM
If you are interested in a bow, and don't have experience shooting one, you should probably pick one up in the next couple of months and practice A LOT for next season.

As for Rifles, it depends on what type of hunting you will be doing. If you are in a woodlot, an old lever action 30-30 will do you fine and won't kill you on the price. They are good for about 100 yards. I'd look at Marlin or Winchester brands on these.

In open country variables really start changing quick. The 270 is about the best all-around cartridge IMO. It will shoot 400+ yards with plenty of knockdown, doesn't have as much kick as the bigger cartridges, and shoots fairly flat which means you don't have to account nearly as much for distance. I would look for a bolt-action rifle for one of these calibers personally. Remington is hard to beat. Winchester and Ruger are also solid though Rugers have rough triggers that require a bit of work before I like them.

Seriously though, don't fall into the "New Gun" trap unless you just happen to have a surpluss of cash. You can pick up a decent firearm used with a lot of life left in it for just over half of new retail price provided you do a little looking.

If you go with a scope, plan on spending a chunk of $. If you are planning on buying a $100 scope do yourself a favor and just use open sights. Weaver is about the bottom of the line for what I'd consider, you can get a 3x9 for roughly $175. Leupold is definately worth the extra $ for and I really like both of the Burris scopes I own. I wouldn't even trust a Bushnell to make a decent tent-stake but that's just me.

FWIW, my preffered rifle for deer is my 257 Ackley improved that I built myself on a Mauser action. It shoots fast and flat. Topped it out with a Burris 3x9 scope. It's first kill was a deer I shot off-and at just over 400 yards. Too bad it was a small deer. I only shot because I could have sworn one of the other guys had hit it and it was about to get into a draw where he would lose it. Ends up, there was only one hole in it and the hole was too small to be one of their 270s. I love it, but it is not a beginner's gun as it requires hand loading since you cannot buy cartridges in that caliber.

Vaspar
10-12-2006, 09:26 PM
I appreciate the advice. I keep getting told by friends to spend the extra $ on Browning, for either a Bow or a rifle. The .270 is the caliber I've been considering. I don't know much about bow hunting, but have always been curious.

PastorMikH
10-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I appreciate the advice. I keep getting told by friends to spend the extra $ on Browning, for either a Bow or a rifle. The .270 is the caliber I've been considering. I don't know much about bow hunting, but have always been curious.

Browning makes a solid product. Not quite as poplular as the others because they don't spend as much on marketing, but a good product non-the-less.

If $ is a problem, Savage makes an ugly, unpolished rifle, but they usually shoot pretty good.

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 09:38 PM
23rd street pawn shop has some very nice deer guns at half the price.

Iowanian
10-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Bow hunting whitetails is not an out of the box victory. I'd suggest pairing up with someone who is experienced and willing to help you along.

Don't just buy a bow because someone has one...go to bow shops and shoot different models. There are alot of quality bows on the market. Mathews is the big name, but hoyt, bowtech, pearson, fred bear and others all make good bows.

I'm not a rifle guru, but I'd find a used Winchester, model 70 .270 for a good all around deer gun. Big enough to use on other game if you want.

JBucc
10-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Make your own bow. If you're feeling really manly make your own arrows too.

Iowanian
10-12-2006, 09:44 PM
If you're doing that, don't listen to anyone here but Sec. That cat makes his own arrows too.

jspchief
10-12-2006, 09:46 PM
My suggestion for a bow is to get a package deal from Cabelas. You can get a nice package for around $350 that will have all the accesories that you need when you buy a bow (peep sight, arrow rest, quiver, arrows, etc.) PSE makes a good quality bow and has soem nice entry level models. Mathews is good too, but you'll pay for it. Browning is probably a little behind the times in regards to bows, but they may have some decent units.

If you're close to a store, go there and have them help you find the proper draw length.

One thing to keep in mind with bow hunting is that it's not the arrow, it's the indian. Practice/skill will overcome technology. Personally, I shoot a Browning that's about 12 years old and it still kills every deer I get an arrow in. You don't have to break the bank on the bow, but you do have to invest in shooting until it becomes second nature.

Skip Towne
10-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Why would anyone spend their $ on these engines of death? Can't we all just get along?

PastorMikH
10-12-2006, 09:47 PM
23rd street pawn shop has some very nice deer guns at half the price.

I was getting ready to suggest he take a look at some pawn shops.

Most rifles used for Deer are shot 20 or so times a year tops. So it's pretty tough to go wrong with one at a pawn shop. And if you do get a lemon, you have a lot better chance of getting your $ back out of it. Only problem with a pawn shop is right now prices will be a bit higher and the selection won't be that great because deer season is getting close.

Also keep an eye on the newspaper. This is the time of year guns will start showing up in the classifieds.

Iowanian
10-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Also....if you're a beginner, I think you should consider some hunter safety. Alot of practice is also important. You don't just go to the woods after taking the bow out of a box and whack a tirty pointer. Its alot of work....much tougher t han plinking a buck at 200 yards with a .270

practice, practice, practice.

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 09:53 PM
I was getting ready to suggest he take a look at some pawn shops.

Most rifles used for Deer are shot 20 or so times a year tops. So it's pretty tough to go wrong with one at a pawn shop. And if you do get a lemon, you have a lot better chance of getting your $ back out of it. Only problem with a pawn shop is right now prices will be a bit higher and the selection won't be that great because deer season is getting close.

Also keep an eye on the newspaper. This is the time of year guns will start showing up in the classifieds.

At my Dads pawnshop he had at least 10-15 very nice guns-people put a shitload of money in them and they are the first thing they sell. Half of them have excellent high dollar scopes included. You can get a bow set for $100-hardly used at all.

Iowanian
10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I'd start trolling going-out-of-marraige sales....vindictive broads, unloading their ex's guns just to piss him off.

PastorMikH
10-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Also....if you're a beginner, I think you should consider some hunter safety. Alot of practice is also important. You don't just go to the woods after taking the bow out of a box and whack a tirty pointer. Its alot of work....much tougher t han plinking a buck at 200 yards with a .270

practice, practice, practice.

You're right. It took me about 8 years to stick, kill, AND FIND my first buck with a bow. There's a lot more preparation to it than just being able to hit a spot on a piece of paper - bow or rifle.

Learning to track is essential if you are serious about hunting deer. And FWIW, the misconception that a rifle is quicker is wrong. I've tracked deer that I've shot with a rifle a lot further than those I have shot with a bow.

I remember one deer that I tracked on my hands and knees across a cut bean field, putting twigs in the ground everytime I found blood. I trailed that deer for over a mile before finally finding it. And I shot it with a 270.

Iowanian
10-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Sounds like you shoot a bout like Jake PLummer throws from inside his own 10.

KCHawg
10-12-2006, 10:17 PM
:LOL: ROFL ROFL

Halfcan
10-12-2006, 10:18 PM
I'd start trolling going-out-of-marraige sales....vindictive broads, unloading their ex's guns just to piss him off.

That is exactly right-they don't know what the gun is worth so usually take 10 cents on the dollar.

For you Pros out there-probably won't find a gun better than what you have-but for beginners-you can save a ton of money.

PastorMikH
10-12-2006, 10:18 PM

:LOL:

Actually, with bowhunting, there was a lot of time spent as a teenager actually learning how to set up and hunt. There wasn't much info out there yet to teach guys how to hunt. And camo consisted of 'Nam style army green camo. So for several years I spent a lot of time in the field without seeing much. I learned a lot by trial and error. Then I started seeing them, and getting close, but had a real run of bad luck. Had one with a shot right in the chest that got into a 200 acre corn field. Another was on a 10 acre woodlot I had permission on that I poped one right but he got over on another landowner that wouldn't let me cross his fence to look for the deer.

That deer that I tracked so far was a decent sized buck that didn't want to die. I had 4 bullets in his lungs and he still kept trying to go. It amazes me sometimes how tough those things can be.

Bowhunting in SW kansas where there are no trees was a real thrill. It is extremely difficult to get close enough with a bow out there for a shot. We would start off on a tall hill and glass until we found deer (it was so wide open that I almost always saw deer, but getting to them was a different matter). And the deer were as big there as they get anywhere. The bow-hunting out there was a huge test of a hunter's abilities. I do miss it.