PDA

View Full Version : I painted my apricot BMW!

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 10:07 AM
But I didn't mean to... :(

My wife came into the house from the garage this morning and said, "What in the world happened to your car?" Since I didn't think anything had happened to my car, I said, "Nothing." She disagreed, and took me out to show me.

The right half of my car's rear license plate had been painted in a brownish rust color in a thick spray, almost solid. The thick spray continued downward slightly diagonally on the bumper and even went underneath the car to the gas tank. It also went upward to the top of my bumper, and then there was a very light but dense spray that went across the whole left side the rear end up to where the trunk turns to the horizontal.

We puzzled over it, because it didn't look like vandalism, because who would start at the gas tank? I thought maybe one of the construction crew on the house might've cleaned out his power sprayer and accidentally nailed it, but we didn't use any paint in that color. I pondered as well whether I was parked near any kind of painters the last couple of days, but I didn't remember it.

I took the car in to a detail shop, and they're going to try to buff it out. I was baffled about it, until I got in to the office and one of my employees theorized that maybe I had run over something.

Aha! Two days ago, I was driving on one of those very busy multi-lane streets, and I was behind some huge SUV that was blocking my vision. This is one of those streets where it's so busy that the traffic typically moves slowly and everyone is close together. All of a sudden, there was a can in the road, and I munched it good with my tire. It made a disproportionate amount of noise, and I was cursing at the time because I was afraid that I might have blown out my tire. As it turns out, I'd be willing to bet that it was a can of spray paint, and I blew it up on the back of my car. The can was about the same color as this paint is, and looked "messy" in the quarter-second I saw it before I hit it.

:cuss:

And in unrelated news, some doofus door dinged me so bad that they left about an inch of white paint on my left rear fender a couple of weeks ago, too, along with a nice dent. The world would be a much better place if door dingers were shot on sight. Just kill them, and kill any greedy architect or developer who builds a parking garage with spaces that are less than 10 feet wide. Kill them all. I would rate them right below terrorists on the priority list.

Bowser
10-13-2006, 10:11 AM
You really should just ride a bike.

StcChief
10-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Brown goes well with apricot...at least it's color coordinated :p

door ding. rubbing compound likely remove the white.
Dent wizard to pull it out.

Bob Dole
10-13-2006, 10:14 AM
There's a parking lot at Bob Dole's work where Bob Dole refuses to park. The lot was originally constructed and lined in 1977 when compact cars were the rage, and it's a huge door ding cluster****.

Bwana
10-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Hmm? They WILL be able to buff that out no problem is the shop you took it to is worth a damn.

As far as the "White ding" you can take a rag with paint thinner and lightly rub the white out, if the detail shop can't figure out how to do that. As far as the ding, take it to a paintless dent outfit and they should eb able to get it out at a very reasonable price if there isn't a crash bar in back of the dent.

Good Luck

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Hmm? They WILL be able to buff that out no problem is the shop you took it to is worth a damn.

That's good to hear. The dude at the shop said, "We'll do our best." I said, "What does that mean? Does that mean you can get off? 50/50? What?" He said, "I'm pretty sure we can do it."

Bowser
10-13-2006, 10:19 AM
That's good to hear. The dude at the shop said, "We'll do our best." I said, "What does that mean? Does that mean you can get off? 50/50? What?" He said, "I'm pretty sure we can do it."

Suddenly I'm reminded of the movie "Money Pit".

'Two weeks!'

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 10:21 AM
There's a parking lot at Bob Dole's work where Bob Dole refuses to park. The lot was originally constructed and lined in 1977 when compact cars were the rage, and it's a huge door ding cluster****.

We've got one lot in downtown Denver that I boycott for that reason, too. It's not like any parking lot is spacious, but this one lot is a joke. My car is tiny, and if I parked in there I couldn't get out without holding the door in an unnaturally closed position. Twice I tried parking there, and both times I ended up leaving.

Bwana
10-13-2006, 10:27 AM
That's good to hear. The dude at the shop said, "We'll do our best." I said, "What does that mean? Does that mean you can get off? 50/50? What?" He said, "I'm pretty sure we can do it."If I had $1 for every car I have buffed out, I would be retired. I would always do my own buffing because the meth monkeys that they have to hire at the detail shops have no idea how to buff out a car. Those guys are the bottom of the work pool in most cases. All they need to do is use a light cut wax, followed up with a polish..........done deal. If the light cut didn't work for some reason, all they would have to do is use a medium cut and go over the over spray area lightly by hand, followed up with a buff. OR.....as I stated earlier, they could just lightly go over the area with a soft rag and some paint thinner, followed up with a buff or a hand wax.

When I would get a load of cars in, the first thing I would do was power wash the engine followed up with painting the engine with the heat paint. There would always be some over spray on a windy day.

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Yeah, to be honest I'm a little worried I didn't take it to the right place now. I took it to one of those hand-wash car washes that also has a detail shop. My worry is that they're going to do a half-a** job and then wax over it. Maybe I should've taken it somewhere else, but I knew about this place and it's walking distance to my office.

JBucc
10-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Running over a can of spray paint?:hmmm: I'm going to have to try this sometime. Maybe put one under the neighbors tire as he backs out?

ptlyon
10-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Just paint the damn thing brown and quit worrying about it.

Bwana
10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah, to be honest I'm a little worried I didn't take it to the right place now. I took it to one of those hand-wash car washes that also has a detail shop. My worry is that they're going to do a half-a** job and then wax over it. Maybe I should've taken it somewhere else, but I knew about this place and it's walking distance to my office.

"Waxing over it" is no big deal. Wax can easily be removed. The only thing I would worry about if I were you is that some meth monkey didn't lean on the paint in one place to long with the buffer I.E. heating it up and smoking a thin spot in your paint. Seriously, when your get it back really look over the areas that were over sprayed and any edge line on the car to make sure that didn't happen.

Bwana
10-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Bwana tip #2 If any of you ever go through some road tar and get that on your car, Sea Foam makes a product called Deep Creep. Spray that right on the tar and it comes off. WD-40 will do the same thing and neither will hurt the paint.

The Big Lebowski
10-13-2006, 10:46 AM
The fact that you have a BMW prevents me from showing you pity.

Archie F. Swin
10-13-2006, 10:49 AM
now we know kharma's take on apricot BMWs

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 10:52 AM

We are human beings just like the rest of you. We're just a little bit better, that's all.

ptlyon
10-13-2006, 10:57 AM
ROFL

StcChief
10-13-2006, 10:57 AM

Better get Maaco...ROFL

You would have a Turd Brown BMW that would show up in snow....

Archie F. Swin
10-13-2006, 10:59 AM
knowing Kevin its a 71 BMW with 897,000 miles on it

Phobia
10-13-2006, 11:02 AM

Not everybody drives a $500 car that eats $500 of gas a week, Pat.

Archie F. Swin
10-13-2006, 11:05 AM

criminey! you could buy a car a week with....

...oh forget it

Inspector
10-13-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm thinking about getting my wife one of those meth monkeys for christmas. Her cat died a couple of months ago.

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 11:08 AM
I just shared my theory with my wife, and she's a little disgusted right now. I guess she got two big door dings in her car last week. She's saying that our next cars should be very small and possibly cheap, because we can't avoid getting them damaged living in the city.

I'm not sure how we can get much smaller than my car, though, unless I get one of those Smart Cars.

Archie F. Swin
10-13-2006, 11:09 AM
I just shared my theory with my wife, and she's a little disgusted right now. I guess she got two big door dings in her car last week. She's saying that our next cars should be very small and possibly cheap, because we can't avoid getting them damaged living in the city.

I'm not sure how we can get much smaller than my car, though, unless I get one of those Smart Cars.

are you familiar with the Chevette?

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking about getting my wife one of those meth monkeys for christmas. Her cat died a couple of months ago.

If you really did give meth to an actual monkey, I wonder what would happen.

Inspector
10-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Now you know why I drive a 12 year old pick up truck.

However, since I have indoor parking at work with lots of space and don't drive too much, I have no dings at all. In fact, the truck still looks pretty much new. Just turned 61,000 miles.

StcChief
10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Live in city...park in the city... drive reliable junky looking cars....insurance is likely better too.

Inspector
10-13-2006, 11:12 AM

Probably his teeth would rot out.

And he would rob a liquor store.

And steal from his mother.

FAX
10-13-2006, 11:15 AM
How about getting a dog sled, Mr. Rain Man? One of those nice ones with the runners you can change out for wheels and the little seat in the back?

No more parking problems, fuel is inexpensive, and no more worries about that horrific Denver traffic. You could leash up a bunch of lesbians instead of dogs and participate in local parades, too!

FAX

Phobia
10-13-2006, 11:15 AM

I think you should buy a Fiero.

ptlyon
10-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Some are just lucky, I guess.

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 11:33 AM
I think you should buy a Fiero.

Y'know, I had that car for 13 years and had no door dings. I don't know why all cars aren't made out of that material.

HemiEd
10-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Brown may be more befitting of your advancing maturity. :D

Archie F. Swin
10-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Y'know, I had that car for 13 years and had no door dings. I don't know why all cars aren't made out of that material.
ask the the first highway patrolman on the scene

Phobia
10-13-2006, 11:36 AM
What material? Plastic?

Fire Me Boy!
10-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Wait a minute... you painted your APRICOT like a Beamer?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=62187&stc=1

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 11:42 AM
What material? Plastic?

Not just plastic. High-tech composite plastic.

FAX
10-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Ever seen a dog with a ding?

FAX

Fire Me Boy!
10-13-2006, 11:44 AM

FAX
I usually look away.

ptlyon
10-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Not just plastic. High-tech composite plastic.

Yeah. You know. Rich plastic. Like in the space shuttles.

Phobia
10-13-2006, 11:49 AM

FAX
Not since they stopped making bells out of rawhide.

Bwana
10-13-2006, 12:02 PM

Errrrrrr, a cat is smarter and you can teach it to shit in a box. Stick with a cat. :)

Bwana
10-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Well? Did the meth monkeys and crack whores get it off or not?

Halfcan
10-13-2006, 05:29 PM
that suks

Skip Towne
10-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Rainman, you need to get an Isetta. You know, the little 3 wheel job that Steve Urkel drove.

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 07:17 PM
IT'S APRICOT AGAIN!

The buffing people got it all off and it looks great. The only thing that remains is the brownish-rust paint underneath on the gas tank. I figure that that's the equivalent of a car scar, though, and chick cars dig car scars.

Interestingly, when I went to pick it up, the car wash people were looking for the key and couldn't find it. There were arguments and people walking around, and several people kept going to the area where they kept the keys and looking, and then they started pulling out furniture and looking behind it. This was worrying me a little, but was worrying me a lot more because I couldn't see the car anywhere.

This went on for about 15 minutes, and I was really starting to worry, when finally some guy with a big pickup pulled out of a parking spot, and there my car was, tucked back behind it. I went over, and my key was sitting on the driver's seat.

All is well. Crisis over.

stevieray
10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Go to the Auto parts store and buy some rattle can for your gas tank.

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I would, but with my coordination I'm afraid I would just repaint the bumper.

stevieray
10-13-2006, 07:47 PM
I would, but with my coordination I'm afraid I would just repaint the bumper.

blue tape! you can do it kevin. if I was still there, I'd do it for you..

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 08:00 PM
blue tape! you can do it kevin. if I was still there, I'd do it for you..

If you were still here, I'd ask you to paint it so it looked like a parachute.

At some point, I'd still like you to paint that map on my ceiling, if I can convince my wife of it.

stevieray
10-13-2006, 08:11 PM
If you were still here, I'd ask you to paint it so it looked like a parachute.

At some point, I'd still like you to paint that map on my ceiling, if I can convince my wife of it.

I like the way you think.

HemiEd
10-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Ok, I had a chance to think about this for a while. I have a had some related experiences.
I would take a quick swipe with a low grade (high temp) reducer, and get it wiped off right away with a clean cloth. You do not want to attack the clear, just remove the cheap brown spray paint. Most should come off pretty easily. Depending on how much is left, then select the grade of compound to get the rest off with the least amount of heat created by the buffer. Finish pollish with Finesst-II.
Should take less than two hours.

*edit* Swipe equal wetting clean cotton cloth with the reducer.

Logical
10-13-2006, 09:41 PM
...Just kill them, and kill any greedy architect or developer who builds a parking garage with spaces that are less than 10 feet wide. Kill them all. I would rate them right below terrorists on the priority list.

If you hear about a killing spree in SOCal you will know Kevin moved to Cali.

milkman
10-13-2006, 11:22 PM

He'd probably lose a cat.

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 08:25 AM
I wanna see!

RockChalk
02-21-2011, 08:35 AM
When I bought my Honda Ridgeline in 2006, I had owned it for about 5 days when some kids in the neighborhood spray-painted it overnight. One side just had red streaks/lines on it while the other had "VIGINA" going across both doors. Had to drop $250 on a professional detail and get it all buffed out.

The kids, being kids, couldn't keep their mouths shut at school and someone turned them in. Ended up receiving $250 in various checks over the next couple of years.

Rain Man
02-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Man, I didn't remember this thread at all.

No paint on the car, but I still have that big white door ding, and it's still more or less the only door ding on the entire car. At least I don't have the word 'vigina' painted on it.

RockChalk
02-21-2011, 10:59 AM

No paint on the car, but I still have that big white door ding, and it's still more or less the only door ding on the entire car. At least I don't have the word 'vigina' painted on it.

I read through the entire thread and never realized it was from 2006. Maybe I should look at the dates more often.

Bwana
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Yeah, next to that, a ding is no big deal. LMAO

Frankie
02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Hey Kevin, that BMW is no good anymore. I'll PM you my address so you can ship it to me and right it off as a loss.

Radar Chief
02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
So about a month after I sold the 600R Ninja I brought back from Germany to a buddy here in the states, someone broke into his garage and found a can of pink spray paint then proceeded to paint the gas tank of his bike.
Knowing that he has some nosey neighbor kids he's caught messing around his garage before he goes and explains what he found to the neighbor parents. When they called the kids out to explain what they've been up to that afternoon the boy, a 6 y.o., comes out in full denial mode and though his cohort, his 3 y.o. sister, had his back because she was singing the same tune the pink stripe of paint going down the middle of her hair betrayed them.
The parents were very apologetic, payed to have it detailed and it did buff out, we couldn't help but laugh about it though. Still cracks me up thinking of that little girl denying it all with pink paint in her hair.

googlegoogle
02-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Buy one of these and let the neighbor or whoever bang their door against it.

http://wallpapers.free-review.net/wallpapers/24/tank_challenger.jpghttp://wallpapers.free-review.net/r?12