PDA

View Full Version : Arizona was a Defining Moment

Luzap
10-13-2006, 10:25 AM
What’s the truth about the 2006 KC Chiefs? Are they a slightly better than average team that will struggle to go 9-7? Or could they be one of the NFL’s powerhouses on the road to a Super Bowl appearance?

The record would certainly indicate the former. They’re 2-2, losing to good teams (Cincinnati, Denver), and winning on bad teams (San Francisco, Arizona). That might not be the true picture, however.

Super Bowl history is replete with dark horse participants ~ teams that in October no one believed in. So why would we even hope that this years Chiefs could have such potential?

Because of the Arizona game.

Big plays were not just restricted to a few talented individuals. Almost everyone got into the act ~ it was truly a team win. From Hali, Allen, Edwards, and yes, even Bell getting critical sacks, to Knight getting critical third down stops and Wesley hitting hard and stripping the ball on a ‘sure’ deep route completion. Derek Johnson was everywhere and Cruz converted third downs in a manner we’ve not seen from a fullback in some time. Dante Hall converts third downs as a receiver, and when he gets hurt Webb steps in to return a kick 50 yards. Pollard blocks a punt, Gonzales makes a critical (and incredible) 25 yard catch, and Ty Law shows us why he can name his price with a game changing interception. If you consider that Roaf and Welborne were projected starters, then an O Line with a third string L Tackle (Black) and a second string R Tackle (Sampson) played well enough to get their QB AFC Player of the Week honors. Parker makes a great TD catch, and Larry Johnson proves he’s a Pro Bowler when after being frustrated all day, he breaks a screen pass into a 76 yard game winning completion. Tynes is money, and Huard ~ well, he’s literally playing better than most QBs in the NFL.

By my count that’s 19 players making big-time critical plays, and that doesn’t include Colquitt (who boomed a 62 yard punt), or the kick-off coverage unit that held the runner to the 18 yard line late in the game, or Shields, Weigaman, Waters, and others that had to play well for all this to happen. It was truly a well coached, well played, team victory.

So what does this mean? Nothing ~ unless they do it again in Pittsburg. Arizona was a defining moment, Pittsburg will tell the story.

No one (except the team themselves) expects the Chiefs to win at Three Rivers. Are the Chiefs for real? A loss won’t answer that question near as much as how they lose. If they play as a team, scare the heck out of a desperate Pittsburg team, but still end up slightly on the low side of the scoreboard there’s still hope. If the Chiefs get blown out ~ it’s over. The Arizona game was an aberration and means nothing more than fond memories.

If the Chiefs win however ~ watch out for the Chiefs.

Luz

this sunday is the most important game of the year…

Basileus777
10-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Paragraphs are your friend.

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2006, 10:30 AM
IF we can reapeat the feat in Pittsburg THIS weekend, I'll believe it. :D

StcChief
10-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Pittsburg is a very key early indicator of the road power of the Chiefs. Play well or win, you have to think they have a shot.

Deberg_1990
10-13-2006, 10:52 AM
What’s the truth about the 2006 KC Chiefs? Are they a slightly better than average team that will struggle to go 9-7?

You are correct Sir!

FAX
10-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for fixing the really long sentence, Mr. Luzap.

I think you're right about that game. In my view, many past Chiefs teams would have folded. It's interesting, that's for sure. But Pittsburgh will be a big test for us. Rarely does a team go on the road to face another organization this pissed off, capable, and, presumably, ready to start playing winning football.

How much heart, determination, and will does this team have? We are soon to find out.

FAX

Chris Meck
10-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't think you can tell yet how this will all play out.

I think you CAN say that this is a disciplined team with a lot of heart. We haven't always been able to say that in the last several years.

Coogs
10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Even though it was a loss, I think the game at Denver was the was the springboard to the season. That is where the foundation for the win in Arizona came from. Without that, I think we fold at 0-14 early vs the Cards.

I also see that game... not the Arizona game... as the measuring stick for what we can do in Pittsburgh this Sunday. I'm expecting the defense to give us a chance. And if Huard can duplicate the last two games, we might just get out of town with a W.

B_Ambuehl
10-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes Arizona was a defining moment. Making the worst rushing attack in football look more than legit and letting a rookie quarterback behind the worst offensive line in football starting his first game light up your secondary for 2 touchdowns and go 50 yards for a potential game tying field goal in the closing seconds......

first it was no touchdowns allowed in xxx quarter...then it was no touchdown passes allowed....now it's "2nd inthe league agains 3rd downs" or whatever other bullshit stat people wanna throw out....

Bottom line ths defense isn't NEAR as good as people think because the defensive line still sucks the dog. Most of the apparent improvement is due to playing Martyball and opposing teams not playing aggressive (Denver and Cincy). They have been somewhat successful with gimmicks in the scheme but can't play a base cover 2 AT ALL because these defensive tackles suck too bad.

It will become apparent sooner or later I'm just wondering how much longer it'll take.

I think the positive defining moment is that Solari has shown he can call a game. Saunders and DV played several games without Roaf last year yet in that situation never appeared to have an offensive gameplan as good as what the Chiefs had on Sunday. For that I was happy.

jidar
10-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Pittsburgh

If the Chiefs beat the Steelers in Pittsburg, KS I'll be surprised as hell.

Mark M
10-13-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm not putting much stock in the Pitt game -- I'd love to, but the Chiefs always have issues playing there, no matter the team or coach. Something about that city ...

To me, this season has already gone better than expected after Trent went down. Not sure if it's coaching, playcalling, an underrated backup, or what, but they guys are all doing a helluva job considering the circumstances.

And the defense has it's moments of utter stupidity, but anyone who says they aren't that much better are on crack. The two TDs Leinert threw weren't to slouches, but to two of the top pass catchers in the game. And I'll take as evidence of the D's resurgence the 0 TDs in Denver over the 2 TDs in the desert from a hyped-up QB who was brought back down to earth for the remainder of the game.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm still not sure Herm's the man after he lost his players last year. But that game last week showed me something I haven't seen in 5 years from the Chiefs: toughness.

Kinda nice to have some of that back ...

MM
~~:arrow:

HemiEd
10-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I totally agree Luzap. The near miss in Denver puts even a bigger importance on this game.

Luzap
10-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Interesting comments.

I would agree that the D Tackles are the weakest spot on our team, and also that the Denver game was important to our development.

I do, however, believe that a SB run is a process and all about getting better and healthy at the right point in the season.

I think I'm seeing progress and the Pitt game will be a good measure of that.

Luz
was amazed at the total number of players that made good plays for us...

Crashride
10-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Its not about the best players, its about having the right players, and weve got the right ones to make it happen

FAX
10-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Its not about the best players, its about having the right players, and weve got the right ones to make it happen

And warm feet, Mr. Crashride. It's all about the players with the warmest feet.

FAX

chiefsfaninNC
10-13-2006, 02:48 PM
I haven't seen a defining moment yet. Unfortunately, I see too many similarities between this team and teams that we fielded in the late 80's and 90's. Hopefully Trent will spark the offense if he ever returns.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2006, 02:55 PM
This guy needs an editor. Derek Johnson? Tony Gonzales? Welborne?

Bob Dole
10-13-2006, 02:58 PM
And warm feet, Mr. Crashride. It's all about the players with the warmest feet.

FAX

And playing all division opponents at home the first meeting of the season.

MahiMike
10-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Come on guys. Don't get the moist towelettes out just yet. They've beaten the 49ers and the Cardinals. Even if they win this weekend against an average team (yes the Steelers are average), it still means nothing.

Bob Dole
10-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Come on guys. Don't get the moist towelettes out just yet. They've beaten the 49ers and the Cardinals. Even if they win this weekend against an average team (yes the Steelers are average), it still means nothing.

Actually, it means we'd be 3-2 and probably still 1 game out of 1st in the division.

thepascalblaze
10-13-2006, 05:03 PM
If we win, the national media will go off on how bad Pittsburgh "really" is, rather than mentioning what it means to the Chiefs... winning on the road (against anyone) is a big deal for KC right now, with a backup QB, depleted O-line, etc. As the season wears on... winning these games that "prove nothing" will have built the character of a team that hopefully gets Green back, and hopefully, have helped put enough games in the W column to make a run toward the post-season. There are no partial wins, W+'s, W-'s etc. A W is a W and I think we only will need 10 this yr. 8 - 4 from here on out. Our schedule is tough. We need to take Dungver at home and one from SD and we have a chance.
The D is playing well. If that continues we should be in every game.

Holden McGroin
10-13-2006, 05:30 PM
This game is huge. If we happen to pull out a win in their house... the players will gain much needed confidence and really start buying into the scheme.

Coogs
10-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Yes Arizona was a defining moment. Making the worst rushing attack in football look more than legit and letting a rookie quarterback behind the worst offensive line in football starting his first game light up your secondary for 2 touchdowns and go 50 yards for a potential game tying field goal in the closing seconds......

first it was no touchdowns allowed in xxx quarter...then it was no touchdown passes allowed....now it's "2nd inthe league agains 3rd downs" or whatever other bullshit stat people wanna throw out....

Bottom line ths defense isn't NEAR as good as people think because the defensive line still sucks the dog. Most of the apparent improvement is due to playing Martyball and opposing teams not playing aggressive (Denver and Cincy). They have been somewhat successful with gimmicks in the scheme but can't play a base cover 2 AT ALL because these defensive tackles suck too bad.

It will become apparent sooner or later I'm just wondering how much longer it'll take.

All-in-all, this post seemed pretty much right on the money yesterday.

FringeNC
10-16-2006, 12:47 PM
All-in-all, this post seemed pretty much right on the money yesterday.

Yep. And on the offensive side of the ball, our lack of running against Arizona was indeed a result of our O-line and play-calling. Arizona had given up almost 300 yards on the ground the previous week, and they shut us down, and Pitt shut us down even more.

Amazingly, the offensive coaches didn't learn anything from that game, and came out throwing the same short passes and running plays which didn't even work against Arizona. It'd be one thing if Herm and Solari were trying to install a totally new system; they're not. They're using the same system, but not calling the variety of plays necessary to keep the defense honest. Yeah, Huard will make some mistakes, but can it be worse than the zero first downs we got after the first drive (until Pittsburgh lost interest).

I listened to part of the 2nd half on the radio (couldn't bear to watch it), and the radio guys were commenting that Pittsburgh corners were the weak link on their defense, and were wondering why KC hadn't tried to eploit that. It was just a pathetic attempt to play "not to lose" football against a superior team. Just a complete coaching (and execution) embarrasment on both sides of the ball.

Playing "not to lose" football is tolerable if you can actually win some games; when you lose, it is just so painful to watch.

B_Ambuehl
10-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Man this defense is even worse than I expected though which is really bad...can't stop the run AT ALL. Cant pressure the QB. Unfortunately, until they get new defensive tackles it's gonna stay that way.

Luzap
10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=Luzap]What’s the truth about the 2006 KC Chiefs? Are they a slightly better than average team that will struggle to go 9-7? Or could they be one of the NFL’s powerhouses on the road to a Super Bowl appearance?

No one (except the team themselves) expects the Chiefs to win at Three Rivers. Are the Chiefs for real? A loss won’t answer that question near as much as how they lose. If they play as a team, scare the heck out of a desperate Pittsburg team, but still end up slightly on the low side of the scoreboard there’s still hope. If the Chiefs get blown out ~ it’s over. The Arizona game was an aberration and means nothing more than fond memories.
/QUOTE]

By it's over, I mean their chances of being a really super, playoff bound team this year.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'll still enjoy watching the games, but I'm convinced this is not 'the year.'

Luz
now we know...

CoMoChief
10-16-2006, 06:14 PM
We dont have the defense to play conservative.

If you're not gonna score, then you cant let the other team score.

If you can't stop anyone, then you better be damn sure you can try and outscore them.

Having a team that cant score or stop anyone consistantly spells disasterous season, which is what we witnessed yesterday.

runnercyclist
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Who knew they were so good?