PDA

View Full Version : Wow, PFT

KCSupersized
10-14-2006, 07:18 AM
JOHNSON'S NECK INJURY TRACES TO BAD FUNDAMENTALS?

A reader who viewed the video of Antrel Rolle's "grabbed and pulled and hurt my neck in 2006" routine on Larry Johnson has raised an excellent point with us.

The head-twisting injury that Johnson suffered when Rolle dragged him down from behind by the facemask on his helmet was, indirectly, Johnson's own fault.

How dare we say that? Well, it all comes down to fundamentals. Or, as the case may be, a lack of fundamentals at the highest level of the sport.

The most important function of anyone who carries the ball is to protect it from being taken away by the other team. For a running back who has the ball near a sideline, it's common knowledge that the guy should switch the ball to his outside arm. If he does, and if the ball is then punched out, it's more likely to end up out of bounds before it can be recovered by the other team.

Last week, for example, Eagles running back Brian Westbrook fumbled during the first drive of Philly's game against the Cowboys. He caught the ball near the middle of the field and tucked it into his left arm as he moved for the right sideline. So when the ball came out, it went back toward the middle of the field and was easily recovered by Dallas.

In Johnson's case, he released late from the backfield, caught a screen pass, and sprinted (with an awkward knock-kneed gait) down the left sideline. The ball was in his right arm the entire time.

So when Rolle approached as Johnson began to run out of steam, Johnson didn't have a free inside arm that he could use to try to fight him off.

It's just another reason why guys have got to switch the ball to the outside arm. For plenty of players, it's second nature. For others, it almost never happens. And of all the things that a football player does on the field, we can't think of anything easier to learn.

Do you people by this?

runnercyclist
10-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Your and idiot

KCSupersized
10-14-2006, 07:23 AM
I didn't write it. It's in the Pro football talk rumor mill. BTW thanks I already know I'm an idiot.

milkman
10-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Your and idiot

Because he apparently posted an article from PFT, or because he posted it without a link?

HemiEd
10-14-2006, 07:46 AM
The person that wrote is and idiot. LJ was not running out of steam, he was trying to utilize the block from Parker. I wish more of our players had that akward knock kneed gait.

runnercyclist
10-14-2006, 07:49 AM
JOHNSON'S NECK INJURY TRACES TO BAD FUNDAMENTALS?

Do you people by this?

I don't know. This is what struck me. Plus the article, while valid in it's argument, pissed me off.

Perhaps I was too abrupt.

I think I'll go have a cocktail and ponder.

KCSupersized
10-14-2006, 07:57 AM
I have no idea who wrote it. Whoever writes for PFT I assume. For the record I think it's a stupid way to look at the penalty. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

mikey23545
10-14-2006, 08:12 AM
If she didn't want to be raped, she shouldn't have been dressed like that...

Brock
10-14-2006, 08:17 AM
This has been a legitimate knock on LJ since he was drafted. He doesn't change hands much.

Rain Man
10-14-2006, 08:21 AM
If she didn't want to be raped, she shouldn't have been dressed like that...

Exactly. That face mask was just too tempting. It's not Rolle's fault that Johnson's blatant wearing of the face mask taunted him like that.

TrickyNicky
10-14-2006, 08:21 AM
He was past Rolle when the Facemask occured. Maybe this dipshit would like fundamentals to be to slow down and wait for the guy to get through your blocker...

JBucc
10-14-2006, 08:23 AM
It doesn't apply in this case but LJ does need to work on switching hands and just holding on to the ball overall.

noa
10-14-2006, 09:09 AM
And if Rolle had pulled down Larry's pants and raped him on the field, people would be saying LJ was asking for it by looking so slutty when he was carrying the ball.
We love to blame the victim. This is ridiculous. Placing the blame anywhere other than Rolle excuses what he did, and that's the last thing we should do.
If they want to talk about fundamentals, why don't they mention that a lack of fundamental play leads a defender to panic and do something stupid like yank down an oppoenent violently by the facemask? If the Cardinals had "sound fundamentals," they would have tackled LJ earlier and if Rolle had "sound fundamentals," he could have tackled LJ by the ankles.

DaFace
10-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Quite a leap in logic there. Should Johnson have switched the ball? Of course. Is that the reason the facemask occurred? That's just retarded.

meStevo
10-14-2006, 09:18 AM
That is the most appropriate use for the poop subject icon that I've ever seen.

morphius
10-14-2006, 09:19 AM
There have been a few RB's that don't switch arms, because they don't hold onto the ball as well when they switch. LJ has been this way since he got here, and it always makes me nervous.

StcChief
10-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Maybe he was ready to cut back inside and go up field...IF Parker could block....

bringbackmarty
10-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Quite a leap in logic there. Should Johnson have switched the ball? Of course. Is that the reason the facemask occurred? That's just retarded.
exactly.

milkman
10-14-2006, 09:44 AM
There have been a few RB's that don't switch arms, because they don't hold onto the ball as well when they switch. LJ has been this way since he got here, and it always makes me nervous.

During the offseason or TC, LJ talked about working on that this season.

I don't know that it has affected him, but I do know that he didn't fumble nearly as much in his previous starts compared to how much he has fumbled this season.

milkman
10-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Maybe he was ready to cut back inside and go up field...IF Parker could block....

It really is difficult to get a block when the defender you're trying to block is running at full speed and puts his hand in your face.

How quickly we forget that play that he blew up a defender a couple of games back.

RINGLEADER
10-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't think there's anything valid about the article beyond the fact that the ball should have been in his left hand. I mean it's not like Rolle went for the ball anyway. Dude zeroed in on LJ's grill and pulled with all his weight.

I like PFT and have had occassion from time to time to talk with Mike over there and always found him to be a good guy. But this article was filled with back-handed slams about a guy (and more importantly a play) by a player who pretty much won the game on that play and was injured not because of how he held the ball but because the opponent committed a dirty foul that resulted in (by NFL standards) a hefty fine.

Warrior5
10-14-2006, 03:53 PM
I think tommykat would label the author of this article as an "on per an idot", and I would pretty much agree with her.