PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock - Time to let it fly, Huard

Hammock Parties
10-15-2006, 08:01 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15762004.htm

Time to let it fly, Huard
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Damon Huard or Ben Roethlisberger?

Sounds like some sort of joke. Kansas City’s backup quarterback versus Pittsburgh’s franchise quarterback isn’t much of a debate, is it?

It is today, when the Chiefs and the Steelers meet inside Heinz Field with both teams needing a victory in the worst possible way. Well, maybe the Steelers need it more. The defending champs are 1-3, playing at home and favored to win. The Chiefs need the victory to legitimize their two-game winning streak over the 49ers and Cardinals.

Huard and Roethlisberger will decide the game. One of them is probably going to have to make a big play or two to win this contest.

Which quarterback would you rather have today, Huard or Roethlisberger?

The question is legitimate because Roethlisberger has been in the toilet all season. Check that, he’s been in the toilet since the Super Bowl, the game the Steelers won despite Big Ben’s terrible play.

Ben hasn’t thrown a TD pass this season. The Steelers have lost all three games he’s started. The radio talk shows in Pittsburgh are calling for Charlie Batch to replace Roethlisberger, who nearly died in a motorcycle accident in the offseason and had an emergency appendectomy just before the start of the regular season.

Meanwhile, Huard hasn’t thrown an interception this year. He’s thrown five touchdown passes. He took over as KC’s starter in week one when Trent Green got knocked silly by the Bengals.

Huard doesn’t have Roethlisberger’s ability, but Kansas City’s temporary starter might have something more important: confidence.

Confidence is the great equalizer in athletics. It can be fleeting, so you’re wise to ride it when you have it. Confidence separated Rich Gannon from Elvis Grbac. The Chiefs paid a heavy price for not riding Gannon’s confidence years ago.

Let’s hope they ride Huard today. They have nothing to lose. No one expects them to win today. Why not open up the offense when appropriate and see whether Huard’s 107.4 passer rating is remotely legitimate.

Obviously, I don’t mean go away from the Larry Johnson-first offense that has seen the Chiefs rally for two victories. I just think the Chiefs should let Huard take a few more shots downfield if the field position is right and the score is tight.

Huard was splendid a week ago against Arizona. Had Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker held on to a couple of easy passes, Huard’s numbers would’ve been even more impressive.

It’s going to take a couple of big plays for the Chiefs to score points against a desperate Pittsburgh defense. There’s no reason to assume Huard can’t give the Chiefs a couple.

As for Roethlisberger?

He has it rough today. He’s going to try to re-establish confidence against one of the league’s best secondaries. Corner Ty Law delivered a Hall of Fame interception last week, picking off Matt Leinart in the fourth quarter. Safety Greg Wesley delivered a Pro Bowl hit, separating Anquan Boldin from the football in the fourth quarter. Sammy Knight, Patrick Surtain and Lenny Walls are playing well.

Because of the improved secondary play, Gunther Cunningham will feel free to unleash his front seven on Roethlisberger. Tamba Hali and Jared Allen will get a few licks on Big Ben.

It’s difficult to pick against Pittsburgh at home. I expect the Steelers to win today’s game solely because they have an option at quarterback. If Roethlisberger struggles for a half, Bill Cowher will turn to Batch. The Chiefs don’t have a fallback plan if Huard melts.

Huard or Roethlisberger/Batch?

There’s safety in numbers.

CoMoChief
10-15-2006, 08:04 AM
I hope Pollard and Page see the field more sooner rather than later.

Chieftain58
10-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Pollard and Page need more reps, with one of the top D's in the league right now don't mess with success.

Chiefs beating the Steelers with their backs against the wall seems pretty remote and being at home the Steelers will be on a mission.

CupidStunt
10-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Pollard and Page need more reps, with one of the top D's in the league right now don't mess with success.

That's my thinking, too, and I've never been a big fan of our starting safeties.

Spott
10-15-2006, 08:19 AM
That article was cool until he mentioned Gannon and Grbac. Now I wanna break something!

:cuss:

milkman
10-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Let's see.

GoFeisty posts a Huard article.

Who'da thunk that would happen?

milkman
10-15-2006, 08:21 AM
That's my thinking, too, and I've never been a big fan of our starting safeties.

I've been critical of both, especially Wesley, but they are playing much better this season than in previous seasons.

Marcellus
10-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Lets go with 2 linemen, 3 LB, and 6 DB's. Get em all on the field.

DaFace
10-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Pretty good article, IMO. Huard's been doing very well at executing the dink and dunk game plan. Now, I'd like to see them start throwing downfield a little more rather than throw screens to the flat every other play.

Marcellus
10-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Pretty good article, IMO. Huard's been doing very well at executing the dink and dunk game plan. Now, I'd like to see them start throwing downfield a little more rather than throw screens to the flat every other play.

I agree, I think Pitt is going to blitz the living daylights out of Huard. We need to take advantage and use some deep passes & run plays to burn them when they blitz. I thnk draw plays and screens will help as well as a few bombs down the middle to TG.