PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs' looking for new fullback as Cruz goes out for year

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Chiefs' looking for new fullback as Cruz goes out for year

By DOUG TUCKER

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – The Kansas City Chiefs are shopping for a new fullback. A pinch of pride and a dash of confidence would be nice, too, if anyone has some to spare.

Ronnie Cruz, the only true fullback on the team, injured his knee in Sunday's 45-7 loss at Pittsburgh and will be out for the year.

"He's going to have surgery on his knee," coach Herm Edwards said Monday.

One possible replacement is Kris Wilson, a tight end who has seen little action since being drafted in 2004. But the Chiefs will probably put out the call for any candidate who might be turned up.

Cruz, a second-year pro signed as a free agent out of Northern State in 2005, was replacing former Pro Bowler Tony Richardson, one of the top blocking backs in the NFL and a key factor in the success of Kansas City's rushing game in recent years.

"We might bring some guys in there to work out," Edwards said.

In the meantime, the Chiefs (2-3) were still trying to figure out what the devil happened in their most lopsided and embarrassing loss in a nonstrike season since 1984.

The Steelers had won only once, but they stampeded to a 31-0 halftime lead. Ben Roethlisberger had not thrown a touchdown pass all year, but he threw two while hitting 16 of 19 passes for 238 yards.

The stunned Chiefs had won two straight and felt they were starting to turn the corner and recover from the loss of quarterback Trent Green while revamping a once-sorry defense.

But they showed little offense, scant defense and almost no motivation.

Edwards knows he faces a tall order this week trying to get his team's confidence level back up. Their next two games are at home against San Diego and Seattle.

"We've got to get them back going," he said. "I told them today that they've got to realize it's only one game. That's what it is. If it was the first game, you would sit here and say it's going to be a long year. But it was the fifth game and we played pretty consistent in the other four games."

Larry Johnson, who set a team record last year with 1,750 yards rushing, managed a measly 26 yards on 15 carries. Damon Huard, who had played so surprisingly well since Green had gone down with a concussion in the season opener, threw his first interception.

Brodie Croyle, in mop-up duty late, threw two picks, including one the Steelers took back for a touchdown as an exclamation point on a thoroughly depressing blowout.

Huard will have to carry the reins for a while longer, with Edwards saying Monday he was not expecting Green to get back this week.

"I'll know more by Wednesday," he said.

Throughout Sunday's game, and often during this season of transition, the Chiefs have appeared to struggle for an offensive identity.

"We couldn't get in rhythm this game so it kind of looked like that. We were behind and had to make some throws," Edwards said. "This game was so bad early ... we only ran the ball 19 times and we threw 39 passes. You can't get into rhythm doing that."

The entire sorry day could wind up being a great motivator. The Chargers, who lead the Chiefs by two games in the AFC West, could be walking into an ambush game.

"I think we're all frustrated as a football team because we know we can play better," said left guard Brian Waters.

"We felt like we were starting to get things going a little bit the way we wanted. But when it goes backward, the whole team gets frustrated because we know we're a better football team than we showed in Pittsburgh."

Defensive end Jared Allen took sharp exception to the suggestion that the loss had exposed fault lines in the offensive and defensive structure of the team.

"I don't think it exposed anything," he said. "It just shows what happens when you don't tackle people in the NFL, when you don't make the plays you're supposed to make against a quality team like the Pittsburgh Steelers. They came out and played like Super Bowl champions and we didn't match them."

Brock
10-17-2006, 09:08 AM
:shake: Letting Richardson leave is looking dumber all the time.

DMAC
10-17-2006, 09:08 AM
"I think we're all frustrated as a football team because we know we can play better," said left guard Brian Waters.

Heh, someone says this EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

wolfpack0735
10-17-2006, 09:11 AM
wonder how`s t-rich doing up there. i haven`t heard much.

HC_Chief
10-17-2006, 09:12 AM

It was really stupid, that's for sure. A veteran team leader, a pillar in the community, arguably the best player at his position in the ENTIRE LEAGUE, a guy who did not demand an exorbitant salary... we let him just walk.

Brilliant!

The parallels between DV and Herm are striking. Hell, they're mirror images! DV walks in, begins revamp of O, ignores D, lets a vet leader & fan fav walk (Donnie Edwards). Herm walks in, begins revamp of D, ignores O, lets a vet leader & fan fav walk (TRich).

Does this now mean we will have a 7-9 season in 06, then a dominant defense over the next 4 seasons, but only a single playoff appearance, and gawdawful offense to show for it?

Archie Bunker
10-17-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm all for giving Wilson more PT. I thought Niklos looked decent in the preseason if they add a FB.

HemiEd
10-17-2006, 09:14 AM

It was pretty dumb at the time, real dumb. I wonder how much money we have left on the Cap? What if Carl just called Willie and offered him all of it? He has gotta be sick of staying home by now.

ChiefsFan4Life
10-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Time for us to unleash the secret that is Kris Wilson

DMAC
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Does this now mean we will have a 7-9 season in 06, then a dominant defense over the next 4 seasons, but only a single playoff appearance, and gawdawful offense to show for it?Yep, this is our team.

Then 5 years go by...Herm leaves...We hire Al Saunders as HC.

Vicious cycle.

morphius
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Of course it was also reported on FOX this morning in KC that Carl was looking to trade for a LT before the trade deadline. The LT for the Cards was brought up.

Bowser
10-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Of course it was also reported on FOX this morning in KC that Carl was looking to trade for a LT before the trade deadline. The LT for the Cards was brought up.

While we're at it, we should trade for the Viking's fullback Tony Richardson. Word is he's pretty good.

oldandslow
10-17-2006, 09:35 AM

Yep.

htismaqe
10-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Let's not ignore the fact the Richardson WANTED to leave. He wasn't enjoying his diminished role in the offense...

Bob Dole
10-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Let's not ignore the fact the Richardson WANTED to leave. He wasn't enjoying his diminished role in the offense...

Where did you hear/read that? (Or was it common knowledge and Bob Dole just spaced it off?)

morphius
10-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Where did you hear/read that? (Or was it common knowledge and Bob Dole just spaced it off?)
Yeah, cause that completely goes against him giving the Chiefs a chance to match that was reported earlier.

beavis
10-17-2006, 10:13 AM
I had never heard that either. In fact, it was my understanding that Tony gave them several chances to offer him something besides the league minimum.

Archie Bunker
10-17-2006, 10:21 AM
I heard T-Rich wanted to be more involved in the offense(carries, catches, etc). The Vikings offered him that and he left.

PinkFloyd
10-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Blocking for 65 plays and getting the ball one time during the game would kinda suck...

BigChiefFan
10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I've never heard that T-Rich wanted to leave Kansas City. Is there any article that actually backs that statement?

InChiefsHeaven
10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I didn't think TRich wanted to leave, I thought it was a matter of CP deciding they didn't want to make him the highest paid FB in the league, in light of all our other needs...

...stupid of course, but I thought that was the reasoning. TRIch would have much better liked staying on and retiring as a Chief IMO...

el borracho
10-17-2006, 11:17 AM
What possible excuse can there be for not trying Wilson at FB now? Wasn't the ability to play FB part of the reason we drafted him? This is maddening.

InChiefsHeaven
10-17-2006, 11:19 AM
What possible excuse can there be for not trying Wilson at FB now? Wasn't the ability to play FB part of the reason we drafted him? This is maddening.

Maybe because the secret of Wilson is....

...wait for it...

...(he actually just sucks...) :shrug:

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Where's Joe Hall when you need him?

Easy 6
10-17-2006, 11:29 AM
They're sayin' Ted Popson wants to come back................................

KcMizzou
10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
They're sayin' Ted Popson wants to come back................................Wasn't he a TE?

(I know you're kidding, just askin')

Easy 6
10-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Wasn't he a TE?

(I know you're kidding, just askin')
Yep.

morphius
10-17-2006, 11:52 AM
No, they drafted him because they thought he would be a mismatch for any LB out there. Only other teams were smart enought to know that he couldn't block, so they tossed CB's on him and played him like a WR. The whole not being able to block would make playing him at FB a bit silly, now wouldn't it...

ck_IN
10-17-2006, 11:56 AM
<i>he actually just sucks..</i>

That's not true! I don't think I've ever seen a TE do a better job of watching a DB return an interception for a TD then he did on that Brodie pick meant for him.

InChiefsHeaven
10-17-2006, 01:07 PM

That's not true! I don't think I've ever seen a TE do a better job of watching a DB return an interception for a TD then he did on that Brodie pick meant for him.

I stand corrected... :)

morphius
10-17-2006, 01:08 PM

Hey, he has been trained to watch plays, not particpate.

el borracho
10-17-2006, 01:22 PM
No, they drafted him because they thought he would be a mismatch for any LB out there. Only other teams were smart enought to know that he couldn't block, so they tossed CB's on him and played him like a WR. The whole not being able to block would make playing him at FB a bit silly, now wouldn't it...
Gonzalez learned to block. Is it unreasonable to think that Wilson could also learn to block? If this is the weak point in his game wouldn't the coaches be drilling it into him the last three years? This is just infuriating. We know he can catch. Teach him to block and get him on the field or just cut him already. What possible excuse is there to just keep a 2nd round pick on the sidelines all this time?

morphius
10-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Gonzalez learned to block. Is it unreasonable to think that Wilson could also learn to block? If this is the weak point in his game wouldn't the coaches be drilling it into him the last three years? This is just infuriating. We know he can catch. Teach him to block and get him on the field or just cut him already. What possible excuse is there to just keep a 2nd round pick on the sidelines all this time?
Gonzo learned to block better, Wilson has been here how long now and still isn't out there doing any blocking... Do the math.

sedated
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
While we're at it, we should trade for the Viking's fullback Tony Richardson. Word is he's pretty good.

I actually had a dream last night that TRich was back on the Chiefs.

but I'm not sure if that was the part that made my sheets wet

ck_IN
10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
<i>but I'm not sure if that was the part that made my sheets wet</i>

But at least they were rubber and the orderly gave you some nice candy while it got cleaned up right?

Rain Man
10-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Can Jared Allen go sixty minutes and fill in at fullback?

Hoover
10-17-2006, 01:48 PM
What, no talk of the mighty Joe Hall?