PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski - Let's restore LJ's fire

Hammock Parties
10-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Let’s restore LJ’s fire
JOE POSNANSKI
The Kansas City Star

Sometimes, you just have to take matters into your own hands. That’s why we here at The Second Guess have decided to dedicate ourselves to making Larry Johnson mad.

Hey, we have to do something. As brilliant Second Guess reader Chris Carey points out, Kansas City is standing all alone in loserdom these days. With the Detroit Tigers reaching the World Series, that means every team in the American League Central has been in the World Series since 1991 — except the Kansas City Royals. They’ve all made the playoffs this decade — except the Kansas City Royals. Every team in the AFC West has reached the Super Bowl since 1994 — except the Kansas City Chiefs.

The time has come to make a sacrifice.

And if it means Larry Johnson is angry at us, so be it.

Yes, we are determined to really anger Larry Johnson. Remember how well he ran the ball when he was an angry young man? He blasted into holes like a man chasing a pickpocket. He hit defenders as if they had insulted his family. People were talking about 2,000 yards rushing. He was the first pick in just about every fantasy football draft. He was so close to Jim Brown that you expected to see him in “The Dirty Dozen” remake.

Jim Brown stayed angry. Jim Brown is still angry. Meanwhile, Larry Johnson seems to have gone Olivia Newton-John mellow on us. What happened? True, the Chiefs’ offensive line is not dynamiting those canyons for him to run through. True, Willie Roaf and Tony Richardson are gone.

But the last two weeks, Johnson has run the ball 31 times for 62 yards, and that’s pitiful. That’s more than just a struggling offensive line. Walter Payton had lousy offensive lines. So did Barry Sanders. Priest Holmes led the league in rushing when Marcus Spears was the Chiefs’ right tackle.

This offensive line didn’t suddenly become that bad. Johnson is running tentatively now. He looks unsure. He refuses to cut into the heart of a defense. He’s frustrated. And he is just not running the same.

So maybe reading this will make him angry. We’ll be happy to take his ire if he will run again with the aggression and fierceness he showed last year. And if this doesn’t work, well, we won’t stop our quest to bring back Larry’s rage. Maybe we’ll drive really slowly in front of him in the left lane on the highway. That always gets us angry.

Easy 6
10-17-2006, 10:52 AM
I sent Joe a message telling him how much i liked that piece earlier.

ptlyon
10-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Just give him a diaper before the game on Sunday.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I sent Joe a message telling him how much i liked that piece earlier.

This was the debut of his little "mid-week" column, I think. He filled the rest of it with interesting little snippets. I liked it.

StcChief
or send him a box of Pampers

wolfpack0735
Just give him a diaper before the game on Sunday.
ROFL

StcChief
10-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Great minds think alike.....

Brock
10-17-2006, 10:57 AM
This offensive line didn’t suddenly become that bad.

:rolleyes: No, they're doing a super fantastic job!

BigChiefFan
10-17-2006, 10:59 AM
How about giving him so blocking? What a concept, huh? How about completing a few passes down field, to open up the running game? Heh, what an idea. Putting all this on LJ is assinine.

Easy 6
10-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I for one dont put this all on LJ at all, but i do think he's running way to tentatively this year. It seems like he's lookin' for big holes that arent there, i think he needs to use his size a lil' better to make his own hole. Better 3 yards and a cloud o' dust than a stuff at the LOS.

siberian khatru
10-17-2006, 11:05 AM
This offensive line didn’t suddenly become that bad.

Yes, it did.

Losing Roaf was humongous, and losing Welbourne hurt. Shields is one step closer to retirement, and Wiegs is at the age he may be reaching the tipping point.

I agree, LJ hasn't shown the same fire, but it's probably due in part to the fact that he's bummed out by not seeing the same holes the last two years.

ptlyon
10-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I agree, LJ hasn't shown the same fire, but it's probably due in part to the fact that he's bummed out by not seeing the same holes the last two years.

Or because he knows he has a bad case of the Fumbleitus.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
I think Pos is wrong. The line fell off, we lost T-Rich, and Green's injury was the final straw. There's just too many guys in the box.

Halfcan
10-17-2006, 11:13 AM
LJ is no PH

Fire Me Boy!
A sure fire way to piss LJ off... get Priest healthy and name him the starter.

NewChief
I completely agree that you can't blame LJ. That being said, I do think he's lost something this year beyond what can be explained solely by changes in the OLine. Yes, he's getting stuffed a lot and has fewer holes.

That being said, I've also seen him get into that second level of secondary and backers quite a few times this year to be brought down by a sole tackler. It also seems that he'll get some open field around him from time to time, and defenders will angle toward him and have very little trouble catching up. Last year it just seemed that once he got open field, he was barelling toward the goal line. Anyone who got in his way was going to get punished. This year I see him getting solo tackled quite often.

Dartgod
10-17-2006, 11:19 AM
There's just too many guys in the box.
Which is why we need to start using the pass to set up the run.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2006, 11:20 AM

I totally agree. We tried to do it against Arizona. We came out passing. What happened in Pittsburgh?

Solari sucks.

ptlyon
10-17-2006, 11:21 AM

But I thought you used the run to set up the pass?

whoaskew
10-17-2006, 12:24 PM

Not when there are ELEVEN men in the box

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
While there will never be another Barry Sanders, he did have Herman Moore up there. The Lions did take deep shots on occaison in an attempt to keep a defense honest, something our coaching staff has no concept of.

JBucc
10-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Speaking of, when is the whole PUP list, IR, retirement deadline thing? I thought it was this week....

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 12:37 PM

1970s football. Defenders werent the freakish specimens that they are now. Someone should tell Herm that this is 2006.

chiefsfan1963
10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
bring back DV that would help get back that chip on his shoulder! :)

teedubya
10-17-2006, 12:58 PM
every team in the American League Central has been in the World Series since 1991 — except the Kansas City Royals. They’ve all made the playoffs this decade — except the Kansas City Royals. Every team in the AFC West has reached the Super Bowl since 1994 — except the Kansas City Chiefs.

excuse me, Im gonna go jump off the George Brett Superhighway bridge now.

Brock
10-17-2006, 12:59 PM
every team in the American League Central has been in the World Series since 1991 — except the Kansas City Royals. They’ve all made the playoffs this decade — except the Kansas City Royals. Every team in the AFC West has reached the Super Bowl since 1994 — except the Kansas City Chiefs.

excuse me, Im gonna go jump off the George Brett Superhighway bridge now.

If only we'd kept Dick Vermeil for another 5-10 years, I'm sure we'd be right in there.

chiefsfan1963
10-17-2006, 01:04 PM
If only we'd kept Dick Vermeil for another 5-10 years, I'm sure we'd be right in there.

DV/AS would have this offense in better shape even with the changes in personnel.

You can't go back. In a different scenario you would to have a complete dedication to DV from the Front Office to succeed, and you would have to have CP out. There would be no more talk of retirement, DV and the new GM would have gone through the roster and evaluated likely veterens players like Roaf and Welbourne who would retire. During the draft and off-season free agent acquisition they would have continue to fortified the D, but they would have 1st and foremost made sure our OL was going to be rock solid, and done what ever was necessary to get the necessary personnel to maintain our GREAT OL.

Not that any of this was truly possible b/c CP controls every thing, and truly is the reason why this franchise has been a loser for so long.

We going to have to waste another 3 years with CP and watch this pathetic example of an Offense. This Offense will truly be painful and unexciting to watch. Our D may get better, but it will be all in vain b/c we don't have DV/AS running a high performing OFFENSE and play to win mentality!!!!!!!!!

With the right GM, a little more patience, and a lot less panic, we would have been in good hands with DV and AS!

Brock
10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
DV/AS would have this offense in better shape even with the changes in personnel.

Nah. Probably not.

Baby Lee
10-17-2006, 01:10 PM

You can't go back. In a different scenario you would to have a complete dedication to DV from the Front Office to succeed, and you would have to have CP out. There would be no more talk of retirement, DV and the new GM would have gone through the roster and evaluated likely veterens players like Roaf and Welbourne who would retire. During the draft and off-season free agent acquisition they would have continue to fortified the D, but they would have 1st and foremost made sure our OL was going to be rock solid, and done what ever was necessary to get the necessary personnel to maintain our GREAT OL.

Not that any of this was truly possible b/c CP controls every thing, and truly is the reason why this franchise has been a loser for so long.

We going to have to waste another 3 years with CP and watch this pathetic example of an Offense. This Offense will truly be painful and unexciting to watch. Our D may get better, but it will be all in vain b/c we don't have DV/AS running a high performing OFFENSE and play to win mentality!!!!!!!!!

With the right GM, a little more patience, and a lot less panic, we would have been in good hands with DV and AS!
Your eyes are brown. Check the date, then read the article.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (May 2, 2006) -- Willie Roaf 's mammoth body just turned 36 and he's feeling spry as a cat.

No more sore hamstrings. No more aching knees. And, most importantly to Kansas City fans with dreams of a Super Bowl -- or at least their first playoff win in 13 years -- no more thoughts of retirement.

If Larry Johnson is going to rush for 2,000 yards and the Chiefs' aging offense is going to make one last run at a championship, then the Pro Bowl left tackle does not want to be left out.

He's even working about as hard as he ever did in postseason conditioning drills. Stopping for an interview after a vigorous workout, his massive upper torso was drenched with sweat.

"I feel good," he said. "I'm working with the young guys. I'm still strong. I just have to make sure I keep running and take care of my conditioning."

He's also impressed with first-year head coach Herm Edwards. It was a conversation with his new boss that helped persuade Roaf -- who turned 36 on April 16 -- to come back for what is going to be his 14th season of trading body blows with very large, very aggressive men who every year seem to get younger and younger.

"I had a meeting with coach Edwards. He's a great coach," Roaf said. "He's been around, played in the league a long time. It made sense to come back next year and give it another chance. Talking to him, I just thought we had some unfinished business. We needed to get back and see what we could do."

With 12 Pro Bowl selections, the 320-pound Roaf can lay claim to being one of the best tackles in the game. Just as teammate Will Shields, also with 12 Pro Bowl selections, is considered one of the best guards.

At one time last year, it appeared both might be ending their careers. Roaf missed six games with various injuries, principally a pulled hamstring, and Shields battled arthritis in his lower back.

But first Shields and now Roaf have decided to take one more lap, one more shot at the Super Bowl appearance that has always eluded them.

"I thought about (retiring). I talked to Will and some of the guys," Roaf said. "Then last year we finished so strong at the end of the year. It was great seeing Will come back. That helped, too."

A 37-3 rout of playoff-bound Cincinnati in the regular season finale left the Chiefs with five wins in their last seven games and a 10-6 record. They were the only 10-win team not to make the postseason.

"We were laughing and having a good time when we played Cincinnati," Roaf said. "At the end of the year, guys were feeling good. We were having a lot of fun. I was feeling good"

Along with tight end Tony Gonzalez and left guard Brian Waters, Kansas City put four members of its offensive line in the Pro Bowl and paved the way for Johnson to become a star in his first season as a starter. Stepping in for an injured Priest Holmes the last nine games, Johnson rushed for over 100 yards each time, ending up with 1,750 yards and a Pro Bowl invitation.

Now, there will be an increased emphasis on the running game with new offensive coordinator Mike Solari. Johnson is guaranteed to be the starter from the opening kickoff of the season, whether Holmes decides to return or not. Many fans are speculating on the possibility of a 2,000-yard season for the fourth-year Penn State product.

"It would be great for me to be a part of Larry Johnson rushing for 2,000 yards, at this time in my career," Roaf said. "That's something I never imagined being a part of, and that would be exciting."

chiefsfan1963
10-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Your eyes are brown. Check the date, then read the article.

A better GM would have cut through the BS!

Baby Lee
10-17-2006, 01:16 PM
A better GM would have cut through the BS!
Yes, there is a GM out there who hears the best LT ever to play the game say he's more stoked than ever to play and said 'Oh, I think that's BS, let's replace him.' And yes, DV would've had no loyalty to Roaf whatsoever in that situation.

Just like that super savvy GM in Denver who saw through the BS and shoved an over the hill Elway to the side in 98 to make room for . . . oh, wait.

You are really, REALLY, dumb.

ck_IN
10-17-2006, 01:18 PM
<i>DV/AS running a high performing OFFENSE and play to win mentality!</i> :BS:

You do realize that in five years here DV's win/loss record was just a few games above .500 don't you? DV is and always has been one of if not the most over rated coach in the NFL. Bringing him to KC was a disaster. It sold lots of seats but left a shell of a team that will need a major overhaul.

chiefsfan1963
10-17-2006, 01:53 PM

You do realize that in five years here DV's win/loss record was just a few games above .500 don't you? DV is and always has been one of if not the most over rated coach in the NFL. Bringing him to KC was a disaster. It sold lots of seats but left a shell of a team that will need a major overhaul.

you do realize that we had one of the best Offenses in the NFL for the past 5 years with DV?

Dartgod
10-17-2006, 01:58 PM
you do realize that we had one of the best Offenses in the NFL for the past 5 years with DV?you do realize that we had one of the worst defenses in the NFL for the past 5 years with DV?

Brock
10-17-2006, 02:04 PM
you do realize that we had one of the best Offenses in the NFL for the past 5 years with DV?

And that's how we won the Super Bowl every year under DV.

chiefsfan1963
10-17-2006, 02:08 PM
you do realize that we had one of the worst defenses in the NFL for the past 5 years with DV?

you do realize that doesn't take away the fact that DV had one of the best Offenses the past 5 years? The best ever in Chief's history.

chiefsfan1963
10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
And that's how we won the Super Bowl every year under DV.

We would have won many with DV if CP was not our GM.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Why does it matter?

The Chiefs accomplished nothing significant under Dick Vermeil.

Time to give someone else a try.

Baby Lee
10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
you do realize that doesn't take away the fact that DV had one of the best Offenses the past 5 years? The best ever in Chief's history.
Yeah, and do you further realize that the abysmal D DOES NOT AND CANNOT take away from the fact that DV owns his own winery, or that his wife is a sweetie-pie.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

Baby Lee
10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Brock
10-17-2006, 02:14 PM

Yeah, and the facts that bear that out are.....

chiefsfan1963
10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Why does it matter?

The Chiefs accomplished nothing significant under Dick Vermeil.

Time to give someone else a try.

If you believe this we have nothing to talk about.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Go ahead and list off DV's sparkling accomplishments as Chiefs head coach, then.

Baby Lee
10-17-2006, 02:16 PM
If you believe this we have nothing to talk about.
Well, it was nice knowing you.

Brock
10-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Go ahead and list off DV's sparkling accomplishments as Chiefs head coach, then.

A blinding offense and zero playoff wins. That's gotta count for something.

chiefsfan1963
10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, and the facts that bear that out are.....

I believe both Marty and DV are great head coaches and would have both succeeded here if CP was not our GM. GM's and HC's work together to win SB's.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
A blinding offense and zero playoff wins. That's gotta count for something.

Apparently that offense has blinded 1963 to the truth.

Brock
10-17-2006, 02:22 PM
I believe both Marty and DV are great head coaches and would have both succeeded here if CP was not our GM. GM's and HC's work together to win SB's.

I think I asked for facts, not for what you believe. Secondly, Vermeil was given everthing he asked for, including the right to hire Greg Robinson and to bring in a bunch of stiffs like Dexter McCleon. The only thing he was denied was Tyler Brayton.

ck_IN
10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
<i>you do realize that we had one of the best Offenses in the NFL for the past 5 years with DV?</i>

And he still amassed a win % that was jus above 500. That offense doesn't mean squat if it doesn't translate into wins. Under DV it didn't. Overrated.

Dartgod
10-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.
Goooooooood morning, Vietnam! Hey, this is not a test! This is rock and roll! Time to rock it from the Delta to the D.M.Z.!

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 03:39 PM

He left a team that won 10 games, thats not indicitave of needing a major overhaul. The idea of bringing in the idiot to replace DV was to revamp the defense. I dont think anyone foresaw the massive decline we have had on offense. Trich wasnt used hardly at all last year, so at this point in time the only real loss we had on offense was Willie Roaf. Yes we struggled last year without WR, but DV and AS at least scored some points in that sense. I too think DV is the most overrated coach of all time, but he didnt leave the cupboard bare. Herm is just an idiot that is predictable and coaches like this is the 1970s.

GoodDaySir!
10-17-2006, 04:28 PM
There's just too many guys in the box.

That's what she said.

http://www.yhandros.com/imagenes/peter.jpg

Hammock Parties
10-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Herm is just an idiot that is predictable and coaches like this is the 1970s.

That approach won two playoff games in the last five years.

Chief Faithful
10-17-2006, 04:36 PM

I agree with you Herm is not the current problem. IMO he is right this team needs to get tough.

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 04:42 PM

How many super bowls has it won him?

HemiEd
10-17-2006, 04:47 PM

That would be the best choice.

Easy 6
10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
How many playoff games have you coached a team to??? What would please you??? We had a coach who didnt win any and now we have one who's won a few but you know better. Its not Snyders dreamland, ya cant just go grab perfection off the shelf. 5 games and Herms a total loser what the f*ck ever............................................

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
That would be the best choice.

Ya because Priest would be doing so much better than Lj is right now. :rolleyes:

Dartgod
10-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Exactly as many as Vermiel.

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
How many playoff games have you coached a team to??? What would please you??? We had a coach who didnt win any and now we have one who's won a few but you know better. Its not Snyders dreamland, ya cant just go grab perfection off the shelf. 5 games and Herms a total loser what the f*ck ever............................................

Smart guy, herm was a total loser before we hired him, thats why he got run out of NY. What would please me is to have a coach that knows how to adapt and isnt so damn stubborn to keep doing the same shit that isnt working.

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Exactly as many as Vermiel.

What? Last I checked Vermiel won a super bowl.

Dartgod
10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Not in the last five years.

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 05:06 PM

At least he has been there.

Easy 6
10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Smart guy, herm was a total loser before we hired him, thats why he got run out of NY. What would please me is to have a coach that knows how to adapt and isnt so damn stubborn to keep doing the same shit that isnt working.
No, I think your the genious. What EXACTLY would you have done to offset the sudden departure of Roaf, Richardson etc. Ya dont think Herm would have liked to keep them??? He had no say, it was on the money man, and in Willies case Willie. You seem to think shit is put together overnight, its not that easy in the NFL. Has he made mistakes??? Of course, he made them with the NYJ's before he took them to the playoffs. Hes gotta get in sync with a new O coordinator, its not a "just add water" situation. But you are the guru so just go ahead and argue with proven results.

BigChiefFan
10-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Neither has Vince Lombardi. :rolleyes:

Baby Lee
10-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Could we get a rule where you can't spout off about play-calling until you've actually seen the game?
One game, one, was played conservatively on O. Huard's first start, on the road, against the Broncos. And it very nearly panned out, closer to panning out than EVER BEFORE in Investco Stadium.
Yesterday, I saw plenty of 12-17 yard pass plays. I saw two straight pass attempts on first and second and goal, from the 10.

People really have a psycosis where they envision every stuffed run in the history of the chiefs and think that is the only thing that ever happens, unless Grampa Boo-Hoo is at the helm.

Redcoats58
10-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I think someone should look at the win-loss record of coaches in the last 15 years in their first year with a new team.

I know you guys expect alot because we have a veteran team but you also have to realize that we lost our starting QB which if you told me that Trent would be out for games in any of the games the last five years I would tell you the Chiefs were done for.

We also lost our starting pro bowl left tackle and one of the best run blocking fullbacks in the league, all of which aren't Herm Edwards fault. I don't know what you guys expected in Herms first year, I expected to be a losing football team in Herm's first year, it is usually how it goes in a coaches first year with a team.

Now I don't like Herm Edwards and I didn't want him as our head coach but I also have realistic expectations in Herms first year here.

Skip Towne
10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
No, I think your the genious. What EXACTLY would you have done to offset the sudden departure of Roaf, Richardson etc. Ya dont think Herm would have liked to keep them??? He had no say, it was on the money man, and in Willies case Willie. You seem to think shit is put together overnight, its not that easy in the NFL. Has he made mistakes??? Of course, he made them with the NYJ's before he took them to the playoffs. Hes gotta get in sync with a new O coordinator, its not a "just add water" situation. But you are the guru so just go ahead and argue with proven results.
N00B FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Lee
10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
We also lost our starting pro bowl left tackle and one of the best run blocking fullbacks in the league, all of which aren't Herm Edwards fault. I don't know what you guys expected in Herms first year, I expected to be a losing football team in Herm's first year, it is usually how it goes in a coaches first year with a team.
No, 1963 tells us DV would have figured this all out and got us Orlando Pace to replace Roaf and kicked Roaf to the curb while he was working out and talking Shields into coming back for a triumphal season. Then he would have made Richardson the highest paid FB in the league and devised a plan to have him share touches with Larry and a miraculously healed Priest and have no dropoff in production from any of them. Then he would have shared a bottle of wine with TO and brought him in the league minimum. Then he would have devined that Trent was on the precipice of a major concussion, shared a few tears with his 'son' then kicked HIM to the curb for Peytie Pie. Then he would have pointed out all the flaws in Guinta's techniques and transformed him into a premier trainer/coach to lead our boys on D to unprecedented excellence.

But then, . . . CP would've undone it all, and we'd still be fooked, but it definitely wouldn't have been saint Boo-Hoo's fault.

Baby Lee
10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Neither has Vince Lombardi. :rolleyes:
Yeah, because in 2006, all we need is a seal here, and a seal here. And we run the ball …through the alley.

Redcoats58
10-17-2006, 05:50 PM
No, 1963 tells us DV would have figured this all out and got us Orlando Pace to replace Roaf and kicked Roaf to the curb while he was working out and talking Shields into coming back for a triumphal season. Then he would have made Richardson the highest paid FB in the league and devised a plan to have him share touches with Larry and a miraculously healed Priest and have no dropoff in production from any of them. Then he would have shared a bottle of wine with TO and brought him in the league minimum. Then he would have devined that Trent was on the precipice of a major concussion, shared a few tears with his 'son' then kicked HIM to the curb for Peytie Pie. Then he would have pointed out all the flaws in Guinta's techniques and transformed him into a premier trainer/coach to lead our boys on D to unprecedented excellence.

But then, . . . CP would've undone it all, and we'd still be fooked, but it definitely wouldn't have been saint Boo-Hoo's fault.
ROFL

Easy 6
10-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Another point i was unable to make, due to an ongoing squabble in the house, was...which BACKUP PRO BOWLER would he have replaced Trent with??? There are no easy answers this year, cept from our new resident play-caller.