PDA

View Full Version : The Steroid/Baseball/Suicide kid. Unbelievable

BIG_DADDY
10-18-2006, 03:13 PM
During the whole steroid fiasco we kept seeing this kids parents who blamed his suicide on taking steroids. Now I open our paper here today and their back at it with a story titled "Family keeps up fight against steroids" http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_4509840

What they had failed to mention in the past was that he was diagnosed bipolar disorder and found out his big league dream wasn't going to be realized and flunked his mid-term. :shake:

This is journalism at it's worst. Now their blaming roids for causing the bipolar disorder? OK ROFL

Mr. Laz
10-18-2006, 03:15 PM
peptides are better :fire:

chagrin
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
why not, it's an excuse isn't it? And isn't that the real point? I agree, what a fuggin joke, natural selection.

BIG_DADDY
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
why not, it's an excuse isn't it? And isn't that the real point? I agree, what a fuggin joke, natural selection.

Next thing they will blame steroids for is global warming.

DenverChief
10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Now their blaming roids for causing the bipolar disorder? OK ROFL

Are you absolutly certain wihout a shadow of a doubt the steroids (at least in the doses taken to increase musce mass) have no effect on the chemical balance of the brain?

Phobia
10-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Are you absolutly certain wihout a shadow of a doubt the steroids (at least in the doses taken to increase musce mass) have no effect on the chemical balance of the brain?
You're talking to a person who thinks it's cool when 14 year old girls sell automatic weapons on the black market and you expect logic?

BIG_DADDY
10-18-2006, 04:16 PM

I am absolutely positive that I have known a ton of people who have taken roids for years and none of them I can ever recall having bipolar disorder. Before someone launches a campaign in the media blaming steroids for their son's death they should have included all the facts. I have yet to read any scientific research showing steroids causes depression either. This was handled horribly by the media and has been very misleading.

Skip Towne
10-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I am absolutely positive that I have known a ton of people who have taken roids for years and none of them I can ever recall having bipolar disorder. Before someone launches a campaign in the media blaming steroids for their son's death they should have included all the facts. I have yet to read any scientific research showing steroids causes depression either. This was handled horribly by the media and has been very misleading.
Lyle Alzado told me steroids can make your head explode.

BIG_DADDY
10-18-2006, 04:22 PM
You're talking to a person who thinks it's cool when 14 year old girls sell automatic weapons on the black market and you expect logic?

Humour seems to be something you sorely lack these days. The point of that post was show that gun control has hurt England not helped it. Violent crime has risen there since implimentation. They can't even keep 14 year old girls from becoming arms dealers for MAC 10s. The law obviously isn't keeping guns out of the hands of criminals at all.

BTW good to see you again too. :shake:

DenverChief
10-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Steroids 'kill off brain cells'

Using steroids to build bulging muscles can also trigger "catastrophic" loss of brain cells, research suggests.

The drugs are known to raise levels of the male sex hormone testosterone.

A study published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry by Yale School of Medicine found high levels of the hormone killed off nerve cells.

The researchers believe the effect might explain why some steroid users become aggressive and suicidal - a condition known as hyperexcitability.

The condition is well known in the bodybuilding world, where it is referred to as roid rage.

Lead researcher Professor Barbara Ehrlich said: "Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad, just take a deep breath and realise that it might not be his fault."

The Yale team exposed cultured nerve cells to testosterone, and found that it triggered programmed cell death (apoptosis).

This is a natural process that in normal circumstances plays a key role in clearing away damaged cells which might be harmful.

However, when healthy cells also become suicidal, it can cause severe problems, and has been implicated in neurological illnesses, such as Alzheimer's and Huntingdon's disease.

Apoptosis is characterised by membrane instability, DNA fragmentation, and the activation of "executioner proteins", known as caspases.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5398174.stm

DenverChief
10-18-2006, 05:18 PM

see above post

Dark Horse
10-18-2006, 05:25 PM

Two words Arnold Swartzenegger.

and if I miss spelled it sue me.

L.A. Chieffan
10-18-2006, 05:26 PM
so youre saying steroids are good for you?
sweet

Skip Towne
10-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Humour seems to be something you sorely lack these days. The point of that post was show that gun control has hurt England not helped it. Violent crime has risen there since implimentation. They can't even keep 14 year old girls from becoming arms dealers for MAC 10s. The law obviously isn't keeping guns out of the hands of criminals at all.

Pay no attention to the trolls, BD.

Dave Lane
10-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Just curious which steriods you find to be "good" actually I'm more interested than opposed. I know the anabolic steriods can be pretty tough. Any you think are good?

Dave

Phobia
10-18-2006, 06:26 PM

You've become a raving lunatic. Here's your hotspots:
Cops
Guns
Steroids
Pitbulls
Taxes
Government

I'll stop there and await your response upon your return from the militia meeting.

mdstu
10-18-2006, 10:16 PM
I see flashbacks of a fat Brando in a courtroom raving how cocaine and the guy who sold it murdered his son.

Halfcan
10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
It was really Rock music-stoopid kid should know not to play that stuff backwards.

BIG_DADDY
10-19-2006, 10:26 AM
see above post

I am not sure what happens when you expose cultured nerve cells to testosterone. Kind of funny though the way they add words like hyperexcitability to their finds to add credibility. Sounds like nothing more than a really cool name like acid reflux disease to me. What I am sure of though is that nobody I have ever met that has taken roids including myself when I was a youngen ever experienced this depression they are talking about. Another thing I have observed is that the very, very few guys that commit suicide after or during use all seem to fall in the same category of higher suicide rates which is teenagers and men in their early 20's. Another media trend is that they always seem to conveniently leave out very important facts like the drama that is going on in the kids life at that time and also as is the case in this story the fact that the kid was already being treated for his bipolar disorder. If indeed steroid use was to blame for these problems we would be seeing this trend across the board for all age categories and that is just not the case. Competetive power lifters use massive roids for very long periods of time. I can't recall any of them taking their own life. Then there is bodybuilding and all forms of competetive sports. We are talking tons of athletes. Why aren't these guys putting guns to their heads if there is really something to this? Here is an interesting article on some of what I am saying.

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/darkes/anabolic-steroids-and-suicide.htm

BIG_DADDY
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Just curious which steriods you find to be "good" actually I'm more interested than opposed. I know the anabolic steriods can be pretty tough. Any you think are good?

Dave

I have posted many articles on this in the past regarding the use of testosterone and HGH supplementation being used in anti-ageing clinics with a lot of success in Europe. This typically starts in the late 40's to early 50's. Benefits include reduced body fat and skin wrinkles. Also increades strength, sex drive and better sleeping patterns. It hasn't been done long enough yet to know if it also increases or potentially decreases longevity. I am sure you can do searches on it and come up with all kinds of information. Post 50 I will consider it myself.

B_Ambuehl
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Big Daddy is right. The dude had already been diagnosed with BPD. People with BPD are at risk of suicide period.

Contrary to popular believe evidence reveals virtually no fire from steroid use. Even Tylenol is more dangerous to the liver than oral steroids, which are more toxic than injectable.

How many studies definiely link anabolic steroids to death or ANY serious health risk in healthy men? Zero

Real sports video part I

http://youtube.com/watch?v=73EC609GYD0

Part II
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BmYxHTu4Vi4

BIG_DADDY
10-19-2006, 11:08 AM
You've become a raving lunatic. Here's your hotspots:
Cops
Guns
Steroids
Pitbulls
Taxes
Government

I'll stop there and await your response upon your return from the militia meeting.

Let's see first you fail to see my blatent humour and reply like I am serious in completely different thread to try and be insulting. Now let's take a look at this post.

I'll start with Guns, taxes and government. May the first person who has no concerns about these issues cast the first stone. MOF there are people who post 10 x what I do on some of these issues but you're not calling them lunatics or following them around attempting to be a dick. These are hot issues period I am not sure what your problem is with me discussing them.

Steroids This has been a huge issue in sports and in the national media for like 2 years now and we are on a sports BB. You don't think this shouldn't be a hotspot? OK

Pitbulls My breed of choice and the one being demonized to pass dog legislation nationally in general. This is the real current issue and could effect many posters on this board. This is also a real hot issue locally in Kansas and Missouri right now as you guys are passing more of it than anywhere else in the country now. They are already talking about adding other breeds. Hell you guys may even eclipse Colorado. Not a hot issue for many poster here? Whatever dude it's been a pretty popular issue and other posters have posted a majority of threads on the topic. I know you have an issue with me posting on it.

Cops What about them? I have hardly posted shit on this subject other that saying they cuffed and beat me in Florida at 18. Not sure where you going there.

Bottom line Phil is you seem to have an issue with me in general for whatever reason, I'm really not sure why. MOF I have posted on many occasions that I have a hell of a lot of respect for you especially as a father and what you have went through for your kids yet all you do is continue to try and be a dick. I'm not sure what's going on in your life to make you act like that but I hope it gets better.

SCTrojan
10-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Lead researcher Professor Barbara Ehrlich said: "Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad, just take a deep breath and realise that it might not be his fault."

I don't know where to start with this statement.

Phobia
10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Troy,
I like you. I really do. But I get the militiaman vibe when you go on a rant. You're right, though - it's probably my issue. I'm not doing well in general lately.

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. I figure you pride yourself on taking a stand on those issues.

BIG_DADDY
10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Troy,
I like you. I really do. But I get the militiaman vibe when you go on a rant. You're right, though - it's probably my issue. I'm not doing well in general lately.

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. I figure you pride yourself on taking a stand on those issues.

You didn't hurt my feelings and I value your friendship which is the only reason I addressed it in this fasion.

I am not sure what is going on with you but I hope it gets better. We would like to get out there sometime soon to see you guys. I hope whatever is wrong doesn't involve your kids or your health. Take care.

Phobia
10-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Oh, I'm physically healthy but we lost the teenagers on their mother's custody appeal 2 weeks ago. Now I'm up to my eyeballs in attorney fees with nothing to show for it. I'm not dealing with it well. I'm considering joining the militia.

BIG_DADDY
10-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Oh, I'm physically healthy but we lost the teenagers on their mother's custody appeal 2 weeks ago. Now I'm up to my eyeballs in attorney fees with nothing to show for it. I'm not dealing with it well. I'm considering joining the militia.

That sucks dude. There is one of my rants right there, the legal system. Fathers don't have hardly any rights at all. Sorry to hear it went that way. There are not may things in life worse than that, especially after all you have went through to be with them. Hopefully you still get to see them.

Phobia
10-19-2006, 01:01 PM
It was a roller-coaster ride. First we're awarded custody, I go buy a big house for them to live in, and then they're yanked away. She spent a ton of money on legal fees and was just a lot better prepared for the appeal. We were overconfident and got smacked. I'm at an alltime low.

We still get to see them but now the visitation is under Virginia guidelines instead of Texas. We get them M-F Spring Break instead of Friday-Sunday and less time in the summer. I lost about 8 days a year. I'd have been better off had I done nothing at all.

BIG_DADDY
10-19-2006, 02:10 PM
It was a roller-coaster ride. First we're awarded custody, I go buy a big house for them to live in, and then they're yanked away. She spent a ton of money on legal fees and was just a lot better prepared for the appeal. We were overconfident and got smacked. I'm at an alltime low.

We still get to see them but now the visitation is under Virginia guidelines instead of Texas. We get them M-F Spring Break instead of Friday-Sunday and less time in the summer. I lost about 8 days a year. I'd have been better off had I done nothing at all.

At least you still get to see them. The legal system blows I'm sorry to hear theing went that way. I would have done anything to have a father like you growing up. Pops rarely did anything with me and he lived just a few blocks away. We have gotten real close in recent years but nothing replaces the early ones.

The legal fees suck, I'm sure they're not cheap either. Hang in there man.