PDA

View Full Version : Eagles are scoring too quickly

Fire Me Boy!
10-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Interesting... :hmmm:

Eagles are scoring too quickly

By ROB MAADDI

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – The Philadelphia Eagles are finding out a quick-strike offense puts their defense on the field too much.

Long gains and big plays light up the scoreboard and fill highlight reels, but sometimes a grind-it-out, time-consuming drive is more beneficial.

The Eagles lead the NFL in total yards (402.3 per game) and are second in points (29.8). But, they're fourth-worst in time of possession (26:55). Only Houston, Oakland and Tennessee have held the ball less. Those three teams are 2-14 combined. The Eagles are 4-2.

Quarterback Donovan McNabb considers the ball-control issue a nitpicky complaint.

"It sounds good, but you want to get in the end zone," McNabb said Wednesday. "We've shown that we can grind out the clock. We've shown that we can have 14-15 play drives. We've shown that we can score in 3-4 plays. No matter what you do or how fast you do it, as long as it gets done. If we weren't able to get in the end zone, I'm sure we'd be talking about something else."

Fourteen of Philadelphia's 21 touchdowns drives this season lasted five plays or fewer than 2:30, including nine that took under 90 seconds. The Eagles lead the league with 36 offensive plays of 20 yards or more, including 10 that went for TDs.

"It's not like basketball where you play the four-corner deal," coach Andy Reid said. "This is a thing where, when and if you can score in the NFL, you want to get as many shots up there as you can, as many points up there as you can. On one hand, your defense is out there just a little bit longer. On the other hand, we'll take those touchdowns any way we can get them."

If the Eagles had a more-balanced offensive attack, they probably would have more success controlling the clock. Reid has always relied heavily on the pass, but he stressed throughout the offseason that he'd like to run the ball more. So far, that hasn't happened.

Overall, an astounding 64 percent of offensive plays have been passing plays, including 10 scrambles by McNabb that were designed passes. In the last four games, they've run the ball more than 19 times just once – in a 31-9 win over Green Bay.

Brian Westbrook ran 16 times for 72 yards in last Sunday's 27-24 loss to New Orleans. Correll Buckhalter and Ryan Moats each had one carry, while wideout Reggie Brown ran once on a trick play.

"We could've run the ball a little more," Westbrook said, repeating a statement he makes almost weekly.

StcChief
10-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Sounds familar to DV Chiefs, Lambs teams.

chop
10-19-2006, 08:58 AM
I thinks it's funny when the offense gets blamed for being too good. I'm of the mind that you score when the opportunity presents itself. It would be nice to always know that you are going to score and just play with the opposition but that's not the case. If I was a coach and I knew my team had an advantage in a certain area of the game over the other team I would be exploiting it to the fullest.

TrickyNicky
10-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm sure there are a bunch of teams that would gladly take Philly's "problem."

jspchief
10-19-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm sure there are a bunch of teams that would gladly take Philly's "problem."I'm not so sure.

I've heard a lot of coaches comment on the subject lately, and it seems like most feel like there is such a thing as scoring too quickly (if you're doing it on a regular basis). The more I listen to coaches' interviews, the more I think they recognize the value of long drives that allow their defenses to rest.

Kylo Ren
10-19-2006, 09:16 AM
How can having a 14 point lead in the 1st quarter or a 21 point lead in at the half be a bad thing for the defense? I reject the idea that a high scoring, quick strike offense is bad for a defense.

jspchief
10-19-2006, 09:22 AM
How can having a 14 point lead in the 1st quarter or a 21 point lead in at the half be a bad thing for the defense? I reject the idea that a high scoring, quick strike offense is bad for a defense.A 14 or 21 point lead assumes that your defense is holding while you score quickly.

The problem addressed in this article is that the defense isn't getting rested so they aren't able to hold while you rack up all those points.

After watching the Chiefs do it for 5 years, I can't believe any Chiefs fan wouldn't recognize the issue.

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 09:27 AM
I thinks it's funny when the offense gets blamed for being too good. .

I am convinced this is why Willie Roaf is decorating his kid's birthday cakes.

FloridaMan88
10-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Ideally you want a quick-strike/aggressive offense that can get points on the board early to build a lead, THEN resort to more of a ball-control approach. Philly's problem is they don't have a consistent running game.

Herm on the other hand believes in the false notion that you should play conservative/ball control throughout the entire game

jspchief
10-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Ideally you want a quick-strike/aggressive offense that can get points on the board early to build a lead, THEN resort to more of a ball-control approach. Philly's problem is they don't have a consistent running game.
I agree with this statement. Andy Reid seems determined to prove he doesn't need to run the ball, and IMO it ultimately hurts the eagles.

MichaelH
10-19-2006, 09:43 AM
BRILLIANT! Score points and win some games.

DaWolf
10-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Vermeil's Rams didn't have any problem scoring too quickly and winning. When your defense isn't any good people always look for reasons why, and that's just an easy excuse to use.

So when someone does try to shorten the game (see Martyball) they get criticized for THAT too. So you really can't win in the NFL unless you, well, win...

Mr. Laz
10-19-2006, 09:46 AM
complete hogwash......

your defense can either make the stop on 3rd down or they can't ....... if the offense is scoring then they are doing their job irregardless of how fast they do it.

all this "slow" offense garbage is just an excuse for defenses that aren't getting the job done.

DaWolf
10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
PS one of the stats Vermeil loved to keep was average point differential in victories, IE he wanted to light it up and blow the other team out. The logic being if you built an early, lead, it makes it EASIER for your defense because you are putting the other team in a predictable pass only mode, and big plays cause the other team to all of a sudden start having to play lose defensively thus opening up many other things while putting pressure on the defense to not screw up again.

Meanwhile, conservative ball shortens the game by quite a bit and true, cuts down on error, but it also cuts down on opportunities and margin for error. It also allows the other team to stick around, stick around, and we've seen what can happen when you allow that to happen. As a coach, it is really not something I would go to unless A) I had a totally crap team, and really needed to maximize the few skill players my team had, or B) I had a totally dominant defense and not much of a QB on offense...

Reerun_KC
10-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Did Werm write that article?

And for the life of me, why would anyone want to play for this coach?

Baby Lee
10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
This concern isn't a new one. I recall similar complaints serving as the rationale for why the Bills fell just short 4 straight times in the 90s.
Also, it was cited as the Achilles of the Run'n'Shoot employed by 'almost there, but not quites' Atlanta, Detroit and Houston in the same time frame. Though the Run'n'Shoot didn't score 'quickly' in real time, it was just that the inordinate number of passing plays stopped the clock too much on drives.

jrowe
10-19-2006, 11:09 AM
The article misses the point, although it briefly addresses it. There is nothing wrong with a quick strike, pass oriented offense. The problem comes only if the offense lacks the ability to run the ball late in the game. The chiefs offense of recent years did well in time of possession statistically because they could run the ball, and DV did late in games.

There is a distinction to be made here - a one dimensional offense is not a good thing: a run only or pass only offense will hurt a team one way or another either by too little scoring or not enough ball control. A balanced quick strike offense is a great thing. Score quickly and often, THEN control the clock late in the game. It forces other teams to play your game.

ptlyon
10-19-2006, 11:11 AM
How can having a 14 point lead in the 1st quarter or a 21 point lead in at the half be a bad thing for the defense?

Dunno. Ask Arizona.