PDA

View Full Version : Kris Wilson's new role, the secret weapon exposed.

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Chiefs' Wilson tackles new role
BY STEVE BRISENDINE
Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Kris Wilson has gone from a little-used tight end to the Kansas City Chiefs' starting fullback, just in time to face the NFL's stingiest defense.

Throw in the likelihood of a collision or two with San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman, one of the league's fiercest hitters, and Wilson could be forgiven a few jitters going into Sunday's game. But on Wednesday, his first day of practicing full time at fullback, Wilson sounded confident.

"It's definitely different, coming from the backfield," said Wilson, who was moved to fullback after Ronnie Cruz had season-ending knee surgery on Monday. "But I prepared in summer camp and I've prepared throughout the season, so I'm ready to do it in a game."

And that meeting with Merriman, whose hit on Priest Holmes in a game last year has kept the Chiefs' running back sidelined with lingering effects of head and neck trauma?

"I'm ready for that," Wilson said.

Wilson is more likely to be used as a short-yardage blocker for feature back Larry Johnson or as an outlet receiver, though, than as a ball carrier. In five games this year, the third-year player has three catches for 19 yards.

"He's good coming out of the backfield catching the ball, we know that," coach Herm Edwards said. "But lead blocking is going to be the main thing for him."

That's fine by Wilson.

"Everybody likes having the ball in their hands," Wilson said. "But blocking's just as good. As long as we're scoring points, I'm happy."

The Chiefs placed Cruz on injured reserve on Wednesday and signed free agent fullback Greg Hanoian to a two-year deal.

The 6-foot-2, 263-pound Hanoian was cut by the New York Giants after training camp and spent part of the 2005 season on the Green Bay Packer's practice squad. Kansas City also signed tight end Keith Willis, who went through the Seattle Seahawks' training camp this year, to its practice squad.

Hanoian practiced with the Chiefs on Wednesday, but Edwards said he did not know whether the new fullback would be activated for Sunday's game.

"He did a pretty good job," Edwards said, "but right now our No. 1 fullback is Kris Wilson."

Wilson might not be the Kansas City's only option, though, even if Hanoian doesn't play.

"We've got some other candidates we could put back there, too," Edwards said. "I don't want to say who they are just yet. It could be a surprise."

The Chargers (4-1) are giving up an average of 218.4 yards, fewest in the league, and Kansas City (2-3) is coming off a 45-7 loss at Pittsburgh in which the Chiefs managed 213 yards.

Johnson gained 26 yards on 15 carries in that game, a week after running for 36 yards in a 23-20 victory at Arizona.

Still, San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer expected Kansas City offensive coordinator Mike Solari to have the Chiefs ready for Sunday's AFC West matchup.

"I don't know that I've been around a better football coach than Mike Solari," Schottenheimer said. "Mike Solari will solve the problem, from a schematic standpoint. People are still going to have to execute it, but he will solve the problem schematically.

"We've got a pretty good front seven, but we're still going to have to earn everything we get."

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/15794260.htm

Demonpenz
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
They better give him the rock some there plus I would love to see him some plays as our number one tight end. I know TG can go get it but I think (speculation) wilson is faster and could get more seperation, but it could be that he is slower and sucks which is more likely.

Frazod
10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Who? :)

boogblaster
10-19-2006, 10:45 AM
This might just be a blessing..GO KRIS ....

Fire Me Boy!
10-19-2006, 10:46 AM
"We've got some other candidates we could put back there, too," Edwards said. "I don't want to say who they are just yet. It could be a surprise."

Here's what I see... there will be a play where we see some shifting... ends up with Black at LT, Turley at left TE, and Dunn at FB. Run LJ to the left.

Easy 6
10-19-2006, 10:46 AM
If he is gonna be anything, i think we find out Sunday. It would be a very pleasant surprise.

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Who? :)
:moon:

StcChief
10-19-2006, 10:48 AM
"I don't know that I've been around a better football coach than Mike Solari," Schottenheimer said. "Mike Solari will solve the problem, from a schematic standpoint. People are still going to have to execute it, but he will solve the problem schematically.

So Solari is an electrical/electronics engineer now?

Mr. Laz
10-19-2006, 10:51 AM
as soon as i see Wilson blow somebody up, as a lead blocker, then i'll start to think about believing.

chagrin
10-19-2006, 10:52 AM
They better give him the rock some there plus I would love to see him some plays as our number one tight end. I know TG can go get it but I think (speculation) wilson is faster and could get more seperation, but it could be that he is slower and sucks which is more likely.

The Viking Sheep dines on swiss cheese, olives and beer

Frazod
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
as soon as i see Wilson blow somebody up, as a lead blocker, then i'll start to think about believing.

Hopefully he'll blow up that piece of shit Merriman. We owe that f#cker a nice season ending injury. :#

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Hopefully he'll blow up that piece of shit Merriman. We owe that f#cker a nice season ending injury. :#

I would love to see some retaliation from this team.

ptlyon
10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Hopefully he'll blow up that piece of shit Merriman. We owe that f#cker a nice career ending injury. :#

Fixed your post.

Mr. Laz
10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
definitely

we owe several people .... geather,merriman etc ... i'm just waiting for somebody on the chiefs to grow a sack and take care of some business.

Frazod
10-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Fixed your post.

Thanks. Nice catch. :evil:

siberian khatru
10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
If Merriman does his sack dance, I hope someone on O knocks his ass to the ground. It will be well worth the 15 yards.

Easy 6
10-19-2006, 11:11 AM
If Merriman does his sack dance, I hope someone on O knocks his ass to the ground. It will be well worth the 15 yards.
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

BigChiefFan
10-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm concerned about Wilson's blocking ability, but I'm pulling for him. Let's hope he's a diamond in the rough and knocks some Chargers on their asses this weekend. That would be good for the team to actually have a player step-up from being a bench player(for the most part) and having a great game.

ptlyon
10-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Warm up Brody!

FringeNC
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Still, San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer expected Kansas City offensive coordinator Mike Solari to have the Chiefs ready for Sunday's AFC West matchup.

Let's hope Marty's right about Solari. Thus far, I am not impressed, but I have a feeling Solari is on a leash.

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 11:47 AM
definitely

we owe several people .... geather,merriman etc ... i'm just waiting for somebody on the chiefs to grow a sack and take care of some business.

like the old days! My memory really sucks, there was a brawl last weekend, which team was it?

ptlyon
10-19-2006, 11:47 AM
...but I have a feeling Solari is on a leash.

Word.

Smed1065
10-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Let's hope Marty's right about Solari. Thus far, I am not impressed, but I have a feeling Solari is on a leash.

I hope he is or we are in for a long season or two, if not......

J Diddy
10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
like the old days! My memory really sucks, there was a brawl last weekend, which team was it?

Miami hurricanes and FIU (i think FIU)

Kerberos
10-19-2006, 12:59 PM

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/15794260.htm

Jason Dunn????

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Miami hurricanes and FIU (i think FIU)

I am retarted. You are right about the college ball, but I was thinking pros. The glimmer of my memory was the Pittsburgh bench getting involved when LJ tackled with the hair. I remember thinking it was going to be a brawl. The same thing should have happened on the LJ facemask and the Trent Green hit IMO.

Jason Dunn????

That would be a surprise. I am thinking we might turn one of our defensive guys loose on an offensive play or two. Can you see DJ or Kawika doing something?

Frazod
10-19-2006, 01:45 PM
I am retarted. You are right about the college ball, but I was thinking pros. The glimmer of my memory was the Pittsburgh bench getting involved when LJ tackled with the hair. I remember thinking it was going to be a brawl. The same thing should have happened on the LJ facemask and the Trent Green hit IMO.

You misspelled "retarded." ROFL

buddha
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Great...maybe Wilson can revolutionize THIS position too!?

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
You misspelled "retarded." ROFL

huh? I thought that was chiefsplanet spelling?

Hound333
10-19-2006, 02:16 PM

I am not sure Marty's endorsement on how to run an offense is what I want to hear.

Frazod
10-19-2006, 02:17 PM
huh? I thought that was chiefsplanet spelling?

I must have missed that one. :)

Ultra Peanut
10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
There some, scientists
Tryin' to figure out the Sasquatch riddle
Then they figured out it was a missing LINK
"In Search of Sasquatch,"
That was a kickass "In Search Of,"
With Leonard Nimoyyy kickin' out the jaaaams

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I must have missed that one. :)

Where is Titus when you need him? :(

ptlyon
10-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Where is Titus when you need him? :(

Where is that fugger anyway?

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Where is that fugger anyway?

His last post was last Friday night. He had said a while back that his situation had changed and it was hard for him to get on here now.

Discuss Thrower
10-19-2006, 03:43 PM

That would be a surprise. I am thinking we might turn one of our defensive guys loose on an offensive play or two. Can you see DJ or Kawika doing something?

I recall a training camp article, with Herm joking to Kawika that he should down an INT in the endzone for a touchback instead of running it, with Kawika responding he played FB in high school.....

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I recall a training camp article, with Herm joking to Kawika that he should down an INT in the endzone for a touchback instead of running it, with Kawika responding he played FB in high school.....

He certainly seems athletic enough to do it IMO.

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Great...maybe Wilson can revolutionize THIS position too!?

Keep ****ing doubting Kris Wilson! :cuss:

Crashride
10-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Kris Wilson all day

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Does anybody know the approx.size and weight of Wilson of the top of their head?

6'2" 250 lbs.

Psyko Tek
10-19-2006, 06:34 PM

I was thinking that, too
how bout Hali,or Allen ?

Simply Red
10-19-2006, 06:37 PM
6'2" 250 lbs.

thanks

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I was thinking that, too
how bout Hali,or Allen ?

Two very intersting suspects! Allen ran down a fast guy last Sunday, one of the few highlights. Of course there was Kris Wilson's catch that got us first and goal at the one. :D

Marcellus
10-19-2006, 07:59 PM
I was thinking that, too
how bout Hali,or Allen ?

Turley baby. He is mean enough.

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Turley baby. He is mean enough.

That has been mentioned a few times, growing on me.

dj56dt58
10-19-2006, 08:51 PM
How about Pollard? He'd **** Merriman's shit up for sure. I could see him taking out the entire defense on one play..then he would go take out Marty for the hell of it

Psyko Tek
10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
How about Pollard? He'd **** Merriman's shit up for sure. I could see him taking out the entire defense on one play..then he would go take out Marty for the hell of it

nice I like that one a lot

HemiEd
10-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Kris Wilson has had a great game so far. Blocking too!

HemiEd
01-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Keep on doubting Kris Wilson!!!!!!1!1!! :cuss:

HemiEd
01-06-2007, 06:57 PM
He was the only bright spot we had on offense today, Wilson has the best hands on the team.