PDA

View Full Version : This was a fun game, but Gunther has got to go.

Hammock Parties
10-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I realize the defense was put in bad situations.

That's no excuse. There's NO EXCUSE for leaving Antonio Gates uncovered on third and goal. There's NO EXCUSE for drawing up a defensive play that leaves Tomlinson uncovered on third-and-3.

siberian khatru
10-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Relax, he just needs more all-pro players and assistants.

Rausch
10-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Brilliant.

Now that we finally have a defense that can make a stand when we need one you want to dump the DC.

Deberg_1990
10-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Gunthers mindset has always been and will always be "All or nothing"

It was the same way in the mid 90's teams as well.

Having said that, yes i hope hes gone at the end of the year.

keg in kc
10-22-2006, 02:57 PM
They were good playcalls by Martyocre's Chokers. It happens.

My concern is the relative ineffectiveness of the d-line in the second half.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-22-2006, 02:59 PM
how many coaching changes can the players take?

ChiefsFanatic
10-22-2006, 02:59 PM

That's no excuse. There's NO EXCUSE for leaving Antonio Gates uncovered on third and goal. There's NO EXCUSE for drawing up a defensive play that leaves Tomlinson uncovered on third-and-3.

I agree that thise were bad plays. Last week Mitchell said that the whole defense was basically ignoring their assignments, playing "freeball" and I think that Hali just ignored his assignment on the fourth down play.

mac58
10-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Our D played great today against a high powered SD offense. . . .and if anythinbg it was tackling not play calling. . .the play calling was great alot of missed tackles even missed sacks which are the players fault. . .damn people r never satisfied always pointing fingers. . .he called such a good defensive game. . .Rivers didnt know what to do. .

Hammock Parties
10-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Brilliant.

Now that we finally have a defense that can make a stand when we need one you want to dump the DC.

Make a stand?

The offense had to score 30 today at home to win the game.

ChiefsfaninPA
10-22-2006, 03:04 PM
I didn't have a problem except for that Gates TD and the Tomlison TD. Those guys should always be accounted for by Mitchell or DJ. Other than that the Chargers had decent plays nothing spectacular.

PastorMikH
10-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Make a stand?

I thought the D stepped up several times. I didn't think there was any way to the D was going to stop SD on their last drive.

FWIW, give SD some credit. They've been picking inthe top 5 for enough years that they have some pretty good players on both sides of the ball.

Rausch
10-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Make a stand?

Did they not hold the Dolts out of scoring range in the 2 minute drill?

When they HAD to make a stand they did.

Just like when the offense HAD to get pts at the end they did.

That's what winning teams do. Hell, winning ugly was all the Pats ever did on their way to super bowls...

CupidStunt
10-22-2006, 03:15 PM
The coaching is behind the personnel, lets put it that way.

Because the personnel is better than the ppg they're allowing.

FloridaMan88
10-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Goonther is a fraud that is obvious

ChiefaRoo
10-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Some of you people are ....... I'm at a loss.

redbrian
10-22-2006, 03:31 PM
How about Gun stays and you go.......yea thats the ticket.

PastorMikH
10-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Everyone loves Gun when he blitzes 3x in a row at the goalline and succeeds, they hate him when he gets burnt for being aggressive.

burt
10-22-2006, 03:57 PM
How about Gun stays and you go.......yea thats the ticket.

rep

Deberg_1990
Everyone loves Gun when he blitzes 3x in a row at the goalline and succeeds, they hate him when he gets burnt for being aggressive.

Exactly...ive been saying it all day, its all or nothing with him. Thats his mentality and it aint gonna change folks.

I do beleive he will be gone at the end of the season.

burt

YOUR AND IDIOT!!!!!

Boyceofsummer
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
the 'Bolts' tying touchdown was the equalizer for them. If that is called correctly as defensive holding the late game heroics might not have been needed. To put it bluntly, that call was obvious and wrong. Good teams make thier own breaks. Lucky teams............................

Hammock Parties
10-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah...I'm a total idiot for suggesting the defensive coordinator might be at fault when our defense gives up 350 yards and 27 points at home....total moron.

Frankie
10-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Brilliant.

:clap:

Boyceofsummer
10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
that the Chiefs showed-up and were motivated today. I hope they can be motivated under the spotlight. This rollercoaster is frustrating.

redbrian
10-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah...I'm a total idiot for suggesting the defensive coordinator might be at fault when our defense gives up 350 yards and 27 points at home....total moron.

Glad you agree, moron

Deberg_1990

To be fair to Gunther....San Diego is hell of a team with some huge weapons.

BWillie
The defense did cause 3 turnovers in the 1st quarter...Having said that, I do find myself scratching my head at Gunther's aggressive defensive schemes at times, but I can't say I want him gone yet. I haven't quite decided.

beer bacon
Our defense held San Diego under their season average for points scored.

Frankie
10-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Our D played great today against a high powered SD offense. . . .and if anythinbg it was tackling not play calling. . .the play calling was great alot of missed tackles even missed sacks which are the players fault. . .damn people r never satisfied always pointing fingers. . .he called such a good defensive game. . .Rivers didnt know what to do. .
BINGO!! They burned three first half timeouts cause Rivers was confused by the 'D.'

Hammock Parties
10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
The defense was great in the first half. I'm not complaining about that.

But after halftime, Gunther showed ONCE AGAIN that he cannot make adjustments or compensate for adjustments the other team makes.

PastorMikH
10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah...I'm a total idiot

He speaks the truth!!!

:)

Rausch
10-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Our defense held San Diego under their season average for points scored.

And landed 4x the sacks the Chargers average. They also handed the offense the biggest lead the Chargers have given up all year.

VS the no 1 defense in the NFL.

Because the defense forced turnovers.

Damm1t G00nter! :cuss:

Frankie
10-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Some of you people are ....... I'm at a loss.
That's what Rivers said!

AZChief
10-22-2006, 04:05 PM
...not sure how two blown assignments were gun's fault...

i'll just enjoy the win.

Easy 6
10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Well i didnt see the game but hearing it and looking at the #'s makes me think it was a pretty solid effort. Lilly Tomlinson broke out 1 time for a big play, gates didnt scorch us as in the past. We had what? 3 sacks, a pick. The only real prob i have is letting gates off the line easy, we should have a guy in his face at the line every time IMO. It doesnt look like a stellar effort but i would give it a B-, because of the points they put up.

burt
10-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah...I'm a total idiot ....total moron.

Something that we can both agree on....and please keep servicing Huard.....

GoHuge
10-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Can everybody not just shut the F**k up for one day. It was a great win. Good God enjoy it. They where ranked #1 on D and #3 in offense coming into the game and we found a way to get it done. Just once savor it, be happy, and shut the F**k up. Quit the bitchin.

burt
10-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Can everybody not just shut the F**k up for one day. It was a great win. Good God enjoy it. They where ranked #1 on D and #3 in offense coming into the game and we found a way to get it done. Just once savor it, be happy, and shut the F**k up. Quit the bitchin.

Good point n00b...................now STFU

Rausch
10-22-2006, 04:46 PM

LMAO

mikey23545
10-22-2006, 05:11 PM

I'm glad you finally see it our way....

farmerchief
10-22-2006, 09:12 PM

How do YOU know, that the wrong defense was called? I was at the game, and for sure on the Tomlinson TD, it looked like a blown coverage to me, whereas one of the linebackers should have followed LT out of the backfield, but didnt. Same could have been said for the Gates TD, I think it was the outside linebacker that was peeking inside wanting to help with the run stuffing, and he should have been watching Gates.
FC

The Bad Guy
10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
How do you know Gun didn't draw up a defense to stop those 2?

It looked like a completely blown assignment on both plays.

You know, when a team is on the goalline, with a stud RB, teams will get sucked in by the playfake.

thepascalblaze
10-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Gochiefs, I have enjoyed your posts from the time you joined, including stereotypical nerdyvirginslax beginnings to your current football analisis...

But here I disagree for one reason only, while watching on the tube I read run too.

How far from the LOS was LT? Had he ran wide, the defender may have opted for coverage sooner.

Goonther, or, was it Mitchell, who blew the LT coverage on the screen TD stuck in my craw more.

We won. GC called the shut down drive at the end perfectly.

"This is not rocket science. On the grid-iron the situation changes constantly."

Hammock Parties
10-22-2006, 09:26 PM
How do you know Gun didn't draw up a defense to stop those 2?

We've been consistently bad at goalline defense under Gunther.

See a few weeks ago in Denver when Kendrell Bell was assigned to cover an athletic tight end.

I'm not going to give Gunther the benefit of the doubt, sorry. I think our players are better than that.

chiefsfan1963
10-22-2006, 09:27 PM

don't blame Gun blame DV. :)

PastorMikH
10-22-2006, 09:28 PM
You know, when a team is on the goalline, with a stud RB, teams will get sucked in by the playfake.

That's how the Chiefs were able to have "Joe Valerio, Tackle Elligable" broadcast over the speakers then fake the ball to Marcus and pass to him for TDs. Even with the PA broadcast telegraphing that the play was coming sometime in the series, Marcus demanded enough respect that they had to key on him.

The Bad Guy
10-22-2006, 09:29 PM
don't blame Gun blame DV. :)

Eat shit, and die.

I bet you sit in front of the TV on Sundays just to see Dick Vermeil coors light commericals.

the Talking Can
10-22-2006, 09:30 PM
no middle ground with Gun, all or nothing....

he either calls the perfect scheme or he gets it 100% wrong...uncanny....but we dominate for periods of the game which we never used to do...

...if we had a DT that could push up the middle, Allen and Hali would feast....they 'almost' get there a lot...

we made the Chargers look bad for a half
I still don't like Gun.

PastorMikH
10-22-2006, 09:33 PM
...if we had a DT that could push up the middle, Allen and Hali would feast....they 'almost' get there a lot...

If we had some DTs that could get a push, there wouldn't have been that big hole for LT to run through between the LT and LG today. The LG would have been pushed back too, closing that gap.

chiefsfan1963
10-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Eat shit, and die.

I bet you sit in front of the TV on Sundays just to see Dick Vermeil coors light commericals.
ROFL

Toad
10-22-2006, 09:42 PM
YOUR AND IDIOT!!!!!

That is some funny stuff. I love irony.

Toad
10-22-2006, 09:45 PM
no middle ground with Gun, all or nothing....

he either calls the perfect scheme or he gets it 100% wrong...uncanny....but we dominate for periods of the game which we never used to do...

Agreed. I think you nailed it. Live by the sword...

Direckshun
10-22-2006, 09:53 PM
We've been consistently bad at goalline defense under Gunther.

See a few weeks ago in Denver when Kendrell Bell was assigned to cover an athletic tight end.
I forget. Did Denver score a touchdown there?

Hammock Parties
10-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I forget. Did Denver score a touchdown there?

No. But only by the grace of Jake Plummer.

kcxiv
10-22-2006, 10:15 PM
D did fine by me. Huard fumble wasnt on the Defense. THe LT play was becuase the guys didnt shift over. Gun called a fine game. Also have to remember the Chiefs are playing one of the best teams in the NFL. Chargers are a damn good team. Solari also was very predictable after we got up 14-0.

We have to stop having the D on the Field so much.

I am totally comfortable with Guntharr as the DC.

kcxiv
10-22-2006, 10:18 PM
That is some funny stuff. I love irony.yep, if he's going to type it, type it right.lo

burt
10-22-2006, 10:26 PM

n00bs! ROFL ROFL

Direckshun
10-22-2006, 10:46 PM
No. But only by the grace of Jake Plummer.
Yeah, the D had nothing to do with that. I'll try to make sense of that.

Crashride
10-22-2006, 11:40 PM
D is still a work in progress. I nearly dropkicked the television at a sports bar when we gave up a 3rd and 20. We need to improve those ****ing 3rd down conversions were getting killed.

carlos3652
10-23-2006, 12:06 AM
ROFL n00b... where is Skip///

TinyEvel
10-23-2006, 12:19 AM
I was bummed to see Kawika miss a sack TWICE.

I've seen it before where he gets in the backfield by running straight through the line and the QB makes him miss with one sidestep. :shake: He's better than that.

TRR
10-23-2006, 12:25 AM
I think the answer is squarely in the middle. My big pet peeve with Gun is that he plays too soft of coverage at crucial points in the game. The 3rd and 20 play was an obvious blitzing down. Make Rivers get rid of the ball quickly, and come up and tackle.

There were numerous blown assignments by D players today. That's not even an arguement. However, that's going to happen when you have quite a few young players on D. Hali had to realize that he needed to pick up LT out of the backfield.

Greg Robinson had the bend but don't break philosophy. Give up just enough yards to stay in it. Gun is the complete opposite, and that's why players have fun in his scheme. They are free to make big plays. By seasons end, I have faith in Gun making the neccessary adjustments, and learning what his guys can do, and can't do. I don't see Gun playing soft on 3rd and 20 anytime soon again.

keg in kc
10-23-2006, 12:38 AM
I was bummed to see Kawika miss a sack TWICE.

I've seen it before where he gets in the backfield by running straight through the line and the QB makes him miss with one sidestep. :shake: He's better than that.On one of those, on the replay, I saw that LT had chipped him off. He didn't come in clean, and the block was just enough body to give Rivers some room.

Inspector
10-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Not sure all the problems are Gun's fault. I wish he would focus on stopping the big 3rd down plays - that was frustrating.

And I sure wish Kawika would have wrapped up the QB on those 2 "almost sacks".

Missed assignments and getting side stepped by the QB may not be Gun's fault, but it does give him more coasching opportunities.

Man, that first quarter was fun to watch.

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 07:02 AM
It pales in comparison to the way Herm manages a game. Wasting the time at the end of the Half is incomprehensible. That dumbazz better figure out how to use the headphones. It makes me think he is listening to music in those headphones and has no clue what down it is or what is going on.

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 07:03 AM
It was funny the crowd booed his dumbazz-you could hear it on TV.

wolfpack0735
10-23-2006, 07:13 AM
three defensive plays pi$$ed me off the most. the one were they had 3rd and 21. how do you let Gates get open and catch a 21 yard pass,he was brought down as soon as he caught it. the second was LT`s catch for a touchdown and the other was Gates touchdown. you kew that was coming after trying acouple of runs. i`m so-so fan of Gunther but all three of those were the players fault,not Gunther.

Frankie
10-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Bottom Line:

Calling a PERFECT defensive game DOES NOT EXIST! Even if you shut out another team you haven't called a perfect game. There are usually one or three times that your 'D' got lucky and the opposition misexecuted plays that should have gone for score. Calling for the head of a DC just because he was not perfect is assinine.