PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Herm apply the "We have to score 30 points" approach to every game?

FloridaMan88
10-22-2006, 06:25 PM
During his post-game press conference Herm said that he told the offense that they would have to score at least 30 points for the team to have a chance today and that was the mindset they went with on offense, in terms of being aggressive in getting points on the board.

This is a similar mindset that the Chiefs had under Vermeil/Al Saunders... going into every game striving to score 30+ points and being as aggressive as possible on offense, continuing to attack attack attack.

My question is why doesn't Herm apply this approach to EVERY game. I'm not suggesting it is realistic to think that the Chiefs are actually going to score 30+ points every game (especially given the depleted state of the offense). But wouldn't the Chiefs be better served going with this aggressive approach on offense (ESPECIALLY on the road) rather than the ultra-conservative crap we saw in Denver and in Pittsburgh?

jspchief
10-22-2006, 06:27 PM
How do you know he doesn't?

He said pregame that his ideal team scores 30 per game while allowing 10.

dirk digler
10-22-2006, 06:30 PM

I don't think he does. I remember him saying after the Denver game he wanted to play conservative on O and try to steal the game at the end.

10-22-2006, 06:31 PM
His mindset is like a game of musical chairs..it depends on what day and time..he contradicts himself all the time..and never admits making any mistakes..
So trying to understand his mindset would be better left up to a Physician

jspchief
10-22-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't think he does. I remember him saying after the Denver game he wanted to play conservative on O and try to steal the game at the end.Well, in his defense, it was the first start in 6 years for a career backup. I'm not sure I blame him for taking it slow in regards to finding out what Hutard is capable of.

Personally, I think he's handled the situation pretty well. Every week we let out more of the line for Huard, and for the most part it's served us well. I hated the play-calling in Denver, but the fact that Huard's responsibilities have increased with every game makes me believe there's some rhyme to the reason.

dirk digler
10-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Well, in his defense, it was the first start in 6 years for a career backup. I'm not sure I blame him for taking it slow in regards to finding out what Hutard is capable of.

Personally, I think he's handled the situation pretty well. Every week we let out more of the line for Huard, and for the most part it's served us well. I hated the play-calling in Denver, but the fact that Huard's responsibilities have increased with every game makes me believe there's some rhyme to the reason.

I agree but I think when the Chiefs are playing on the road they are going to be a very conservative team offensively hoping to minimize the TO's and try to win a low scoring game.

I am not saying that is bad by any means.

ArrowheadHawk
10-22-2006, 06:43 PM
I agree but I think when the Chiefs are playing on the road they are going to be a very conservative team offensively hoping to minimize the TO's and try to win a low scoring game.

i don't care about strategy as long as we score a W when time is up

FAX
10-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Good question, Mr. KCChiefsfan88. Maybe the Hermiliar is psychotic and unaware of his actions.

Or maybe Mr. Bob Dole is right and Herm is utilizing a technique common in group/team management by identifying an overall goal (a win) and a series of sub-objectives (such as scoring 30 on the nasty dolts). Then, he attempts to isolate the team's focus exclusively on these objectives during game preparation. This keeps his leadership and motivational speeches fresh each week in order to convince the team they can, in fact, win.

Then again, maybe not.

FAX

Hootie
10-22-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm still a little upset about the whole debacle at the end of the first half...

Hopefully he has an answer for us sometime this week.

rad
10-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm still a little upset about the whole debacle at the end of the first half...

Hopefully he has an answer for us sometime this week.

What happened?

milkman
10-22-2006, 06:57 PM

I can't say with any certainty what his strategy is game to game, but his comment from early in the season regarding road games that "You can't win by trying to outscore the opponent on the road" would suggest he doesn't aggressively look to score points on the road.

Hootie
10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
The Chiefs had the ball on their 37, with 52 seconds left, and 3 timeouts. (The Chargers had zero timeouts)

And instead of taking a couple of shots at getting into field goal range, they ran the ball, stood there confused, let the playclock run all the way down, and then they called a timeout...to run the ball again.

It wasn't pretty.

WilliamTheIrish
10-22-2006, 07:00 PM
What happened?

Two times out, ball at the KC 37, over 1 minute on the clock. Herm kills the clock with out trying to advance the ball.

Reerun_KC
I "You can't win by trying to outscore the opponent on the road"

Your kidding right? Who in their right mind would make a comment like that?

If you dont try to outscore your opponent on the road or at home, You dont win, unless the NFL is giving W's for a quality loss?

But I guess that is why "you play to win the game"..

dirk digler
The Chiefs had the ball on their 37, with 52 seconds left, and 3 timeouts. (The Chargers had zero timeouts)

And instead of taking a couple of shots at getting into field goal range, they ran the ball, stood there confused, let the playclock run all the way down, and then they called a timeout...to run the ball again.

It wasn't pretty.

Yep that was horrible but it is not surprising considering Herm's history with bad clock management.

rad
10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Doesn't he have a coach to help him with that stuff?:)

dj56dt58
10-22-2006, 07:04 PM

The problem is that our Defense isn't good enough to play this type of football. Yeah They played well in Denver against a struggling Broncos offense, but ultimately our defense isn't as good as some people make it out to be. Yeah..they dominated today at home but still gave up 27 points and let SD back into it.

ChiefsCountry
10-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Your kidding right? Who in their right mind would make a comment like that?

If you dont try to outscore your opponent on the road or at home, You dont win, unless the NFL is giving W's for a quality loss?

But I guess that is why "you play to win the game"..

Herm's talking about getting in a shootout on the road.

FAX
10-22-2006, 07:05 PM

It wasn't pretty.

A classic case of Hermilism, Mr. Hootie. In an effort to avoid a momentum-altering mistake at the end of a half, you wind up looking like an insecure doofus in a red hat.

If he was trying to run the clock, he should have called the kneel. If not, he should have gone deep. They probably opted to try the rush and, if LJ happened to break one long, they'd start trying to move the ball. And, if he didn't break it, just take the lead into the locker room.

FAX

Reerun_KC
10-22-2006, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the interperation......

cjp27
10-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Who cares. We won. Good win over a GREAT team. Bring on the Seahawks!

ChiefsCountry
10-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the interperation......

Yep

milkman
10-22-2006, 07:29 PM

I know what he's saying, but he doesn't seem to understand the difference between trying to aggessively persue a win, and not getting into a shootout.

The game plan for road games is to minimize mistakes and keep the opponent within striking distance.

The problem, as we saw in Pittsburgh, is that if you aren't aggressive, and the hometeam is, you're liable to get your ass kicked soundly.