PDA

View Full Version : Mitch and Lenny RAVED about Greg Wesley all day

Brock
10-23-2006, 10:07 AM
I dunno what to believe here. They tell me that Wesley is quote playing at a pro bowl level end quote. Is the planet's opinion really that far off from reality?

What's the deal?

jspchief
10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
His INT occured when he got burnt on a curl route and the QB overthrew the receiver.

He's the same Wesley he's always been. Makes an occasional play that almost masks that he's horribly inconsistent and unreliable.

JimNasium
10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
I dunno what to believe here. They tell me that Wesley is quote playing at a pro bowl level end quote. Is the planet's opinion really that far off from reality?

What's the deal?
He's much improved. Head and shoulders above Sammie right now. I don't know if he's at a pro-bowl level though.

ZootedGranny
10-23-2006, 10:12 AM
He's better than he's been the past couple of years, but that's not saying much. Just like jspchief said, he does just enough to keep his job.

I can't remember the last interception he had that was the result of a strong play on the ball.

ArrowheadHawk
10-23-2006, 10:15 AM
at the end of the day an int is an int no matter how you go about getting it

cmh6476
10-23-2006, 10:16 AM
It seems to me that on the missed assignments, he's always right there and appears to be the one that's in the wrong position. Maybe it's someone else making a mistake and he is there to tackle the guy out of position, I dunno. But to me it looks like he's been beat time and time again this year, especially during the Pitt game. Of course they all sucked ass versus pitt

:shrug:

Mr. Laz
10-23-2006, 10:16 AM
he's actually playing with fire and intensity again.

he still sucks in coverage

Eleazar
10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
I think he's out of position and when a safety is out of position in a cover 2, you are going to give up a big play. But he's an average NFL player I think. He gives up some big plays, but he probably leads our team in incerceptions during his career.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
His INT occured when he got burnt on a curl route and the QB overthrew the receiver.

Nope. Wesley was playing the 2-deep zone perfectly in that play. I highly doubt he was assigned man-to-man.

I'm guessing he just had a good game yesterday. I didn't see anyone burning him deep or making him miss on tackles.

Mr. Laz
10-23-2006, 10:19 AM
at the end of the day an int is an int no matter how you go about getting it
of course it matters.....

just because a guy snags an interception every once in awhile doesn't mean he isn't hurting the team with his crappy coverage on the 99 out of 100 plays.

Kerberos
10-23-2006, 10:20 AM

He's the same Wesley he's always been. Makes an occasional play that almost masks that he's horribly inconsistent and unreliable.

He's much improved. Head and shoulders above Sammie right now. I don't know if he's at a pro-bowl level though.

Two VERY good reasons to jump on the Pollard and Page Express. I say give these two some decent playing time so next year we can use Wesley as a backup and send Knight packing!

We have to live with what we have this year but lets make a run at getting these young guys ready for next year at the same time.

UKMike
10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
He's better than he's been the past couple of years, but that's not saying much. Just like jspchief said, he does just enough to keep his job.

I can't remember the last interception he had that was the result of a strong play on the ball.

Wasn't it him against the Broncos? I thought that was pretty good.

Mr. Laz
10-23-2006, 10:23 AM
yep .... may have been his best(and only?) interception of his career that was made because of a Pass defense as well as INT.

jspchief
10-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Nope. Wesley was playing the 2-deep zone perfectly in that play. I highly doubt he was assigned man-to-man.

I'm guessing he just had a good game yesterday. I didn't see anyone burning him deep or making him miss on tackles.Yea, and the reciever was well into his zone when he curled. It's was Wesley's man at that stage and if the ball had not been overthrown, it would have been a completion. The INT was was one of opportunity, not design.

You're smart gochiefs. You need to stop tempering your opinions with these ridiculous crushes.

Mr. Laz
10-23-2006, 10:29 AM
You're smart gochiefs. You need to stop tempering your opinions with these ridiculous crushes.
it's his overriding need for attention.....

he takes a board oppositive opinion, at vitually every chance, so he can be an attention whore.

stevieray
10-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Damnit Greg, work on your style points!

jspchief
10-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Damnit Greg, work on your style points!It has nothing to do with style points, and everything to do with one occasional big play not erasing a lot of bad plays throughout the game.

A RB that has 19 carries for 1 yard each, and 1 carry for 81 yards still gets 100 yards averaging 5 yards per carry. That doesn't mean he had a good game.

ChiefsFanatic
10-23-2006, 10:34 AM

I thought he made a really strong move on that INT in Denver.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Yea, and the reciever was well into his zone when he curled. It's was Wesley's man at that stage and if the ball had not been overthrown, it would have been a completion. The INT was was one of opportunity, not design.

That's not the way I see it at all, sorry.

Look at the replay from the booth-cam. Wesley was playing the zone perfectly. There's no way he could have covered the receiver. That was the corner's responsiblity, who was in man coverage, not the underneath zone. Wesley is not supposed to abandon his 2-deep responsiblity.

http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/4180/wesleyinthm1.gif (http://imageshack.us)

ZootedGranny
10-23-2006, 10:43 AM

You know what, you're right. I had completely forgotten about it.

jspchief
10-23-2006, 10:45 AM
That's not the way I see it at all, sorry.

Look at the replay from the booth-cam. Wesley was playing the zone perfectly. There's no way he could have covered the receiver. That was the corner's responsiblity, who was in man coverage, not the underneath zone. Wesley is not supposed to abandon his 2-deep responsiblity.

http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/4180/wesleyinthm1.gif (http://imageshack.us)You may be right on the responsibility, but I'd like to see the play from the snap and know who the other two Chiefs were there.

It doesn't change the fact that it was an INT of opportunity rather than by anything special that Wesley did... like so many of his INTs.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
I agree. But he got the opportunity because he was in position. There's something to be said for that.

The other two Chiefs were Surtain and Walls. Surtain peeled off to the sideline for some strange reason.

Eleazar
10-23-2006, 10:50 AM
It doesn't look like Wesley screwed up on that play at all. He was where he was supposed to be and the ball came to him.

The player covering the receiver underneath did not release him to the deep safety. He was beaten by the receiver running the route.

Especially with two guys over there, Wesley coming forward and committing to coverage on that man would be stupid. If the other receiver turned up the field he could have given up a touchdown.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Wesley coming forward and committing to coverage on that man would be stupid. If the other receiver turned up the field he could have given up a touchdown.

Exactly. And we'd all be bitching about it today.

stevieray
10-23-2006, 10:51 AM
You may be right on the responsibility, but I'd like to see the play from the snap and know who the other two Chiefs were there.

It doesn't change the fact that it was an INT of opportunity rather than by anything special that Wesley did... like so many of his INTs.

catching it isn't special? just because a player doesn't always steal the ball from the WR doesn't negate the validity of the INT.

pikesome
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Wesley is good enough that he pisses me off because I know he could do better. The Raider game in KC last year is a good example. He made a weakass attempt at an interception and got booed because we all knew he didn't even try. After that he seemed to give a shit and make a couple good tries and even got one. If he just sucked I don't think people would be quite so down on him, you can't expect Pro-Bowl play from a 3rd string turd. He can be Pro-Bowl player though, when he feels like it/gives a shit, which doesn't seem to happen enough for me.

jspchief
10-23-2006, 10:59 AM
catching it isn't special? just because a player doesn't always steal the ball from the WR doesn't negate the validity of the INT.OK, that's one INT. Apparently because of that one play, Wesley is playing well. And to be honest, no it's not that special in terms of what it required of him. Every DB in the NFL is expected to make that catch. It's not like he made some incredible play on the ball.

What about the play in the Pittsburgh game where Wesley got torched by Washington?

That's my point. For evey one of those INTs, I can find a similar play where Wesley blew his assignment. He's inconsistent and unreliable. I can look at NFL.om and see stats that paint him as a great safety, but I can also watch the games and see that those stats don't tell the whole story.

He may be better suited for the Cover 2, but IMO he's not done anything this year to make me believe he's notably better than he was last year.

buddha
10-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Laz is correct. Wesley is a decent run support guy, but he is constantly out of position in coverage. I can't count the number of times I see #25 getting burned in the secondary.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-23-2006, 11:37 AM
There was an article I read this morning, that I can't find now. That Herm & Gun decided to play the starters longer & less rotation. There was to be less Page, Sims & less of Walls rotating with Law & Surtain

jidar
10-23-2006, 11:41 AM
It's a well known fact that Chiefs Planet is the most optimistic Football forum on the Internet, and we always overrate our players. That being the case I don't see how it's possible that Wesley is better than the Planet said he is.

B_Ambuehl
10-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Wesley surprises me with his hands. He has made some fairly difficult INTs in his career. He can also come up and lay a pretty good lick on someone. Roy Williams sucks a lot more than he does in coverage and is a pro bowler..........so.

The thing I both love and hate about Wesley is the thug like mentality he brings. I get the feeling if he'd be capping mo'fos' out there if he could. But he seems to play off emotion too much....When things are going good he's good....when things are going bad he sux hardcore. Woudl be interesting to see the number of INTs he's had at home vs on the road over the years.

Brock
10-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Woudl be interesting to see the number of INTs he's had at home vs on the road over the years.

17-9. He's had a total of 28, so 2 I can't seem to account for.

htismaqe
10-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Wesley played well yesterday. That being said, HE SHOULD.

He's a seasoned vet who breaks down far too often.

Mr. Laz
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Laz is correct. Wesley is a decent run support guy, but he is constantly out of position in coverage. I can't count the number of times I see #25 getting burned in the secondary.
Buddha is wise
Buddha is kind
Buddha is Great

All praise Buddha

Eleazar
10-23-2006, 11:54 AM
It's a well known fact that Chiefs Planet is the most optimistic Football forum on the Internet, and we always overrate our players.

I hope your employer doesn't do drug testing.

tk13
10-23-2006, 12:29 PM
People say he lucks into interceptions, but after a while I think there's to it than luck, he just puts himself in good position.

To be honest, I think that's what a lot of the cover 2 type teams do. They get turnovers off your screw ups. Herm's talked about that, just keeping things in front of you and trying to avoid giving up the big play. From watching the Colts, Bears, etc. Even watching the Bengals, another good turnover team... They make some good plays, but they almost always seem to be in the right position when there's a tipped ball, or overthrow... so they take advantage of it.