PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sweeney gets political............

Kylo Ren
10-24-2006, 03:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nguJQ_dRPXw

........good for him. :)

Mecca
10-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Ah look they get all the religious wacky atheletes to tell you that stem cells are bad.

SBK
10-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Ah look they get all the religious wacky atheletes to tell you that stem cells are bad.

And they're probably on steriods too.

Mecca
10-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Maybe some stem cells could make Mike Sweeneys back better than the one of a brittle 90 year old womans he has now.

carlos3652
10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Mike has always been a outspoken christian...
Not sure why he is considered "wacky"...

Im sure if R. Bush or ML would be outspoken... you wouldnt comment how wacky they are would you?

Deberg_1990
10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Good for him.

Now, why doesnt he get a doctor to resolve those back problems.

Mecca
10-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Mike has always been a outspoken christian...
Not sure why he is considered "wacky"...

Im sure if R. Bush or ML would be outspoken... you wouldnt comment how wacky they are would you?

I was being tongue in cheek and all but I honestly think when people let religion hinder medical science, it's annoying.

carlos3652
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
I was being tongue in cheek and all but I honestly think when people let religion hinder medical science, it's annoying.

Fair enough...

noa
10-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I noticed how none of the actors has any diseases/illnesses like Michael J. Fox.

Mecca
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I noticed how none of the actors has any diseases/illnesses like Michael J. Fox.

It's easy to be high and mighty and tell people to vote no in line with your religion, when it's not directly effecting you......

Mr. Laz
10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
if this was actor etc coming out for stem cell you'd be hearing about how they shouldn't give their opinions they should shut their dam mouths.

Road Hog
10-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Take your pills McFly, you dumba**!
[Maybe he's acting]

Adept Havelock
10-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Another video representing a similar mindset to Sweeny's.
His was OK, but it was much funnier the first time it was done. :p

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

burt
10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=Adept Havelock]Another video representing a similar mindset to Sweeny's.
QUOTE]

I knew it was a matter of time before I saw you or patteau on here. Funny stuff though!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-24-2006, 05:06 PM
It's easy to be high and mighty and tell people to vote no in line with your religion, when it's not directly effecting you......

Like when Nancy Reagan suddenly took a normally liberal stance and embraced ESTR after her husband died of Alzheimers.

nychief
10-24-2006, 05:25 PM
who gives a **** what any of these people have to say?

Alex P. Studder? ****ing Mike "Jesus Saves, but I don't play" Sweeney?

Saulbadguy
10-24-2006, 05:30 PM
I disapprove.

WilliamTheIrish
10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
who gives a **** what any of these people have to say?

Alex P. Studder? ****ing Mike "Jesus Saves, but I don't play" Sweeney?

So true. Just vote. For or against.

I'd bet a good sum of money that many of the biggest mouths on this board have seen the inside of a voting booth less than than they've seen the inside flaps of Jenna Jameson.

nychief
10-24-2006, 05:34 PM

I'd bet a good sum of money that many of the biggest mouths on this board have seen the inside of a voting booth less than than they've seen the inside flaps of Jenna Jameson.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BWillie
10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I didn't come from a hard core christian family, but at one point don't you just think for yourself instead for once instead of blindly following allegiance to something you can't see or prove? Religion has created so many wars and killed so many people in the years and over what? What about thou shalt not kill? This is the same religion who hung galileo because he tried to show that the Earth was not the center of the universe.

When you were a kid and they were telling you whatever you believe in religion, do you think if they had switched the fairy tales that they read to you in bed with the Bible, you would know the difference? Do you think if it was the fairy tale about a man who lived inside of a whale and it was religion that Jack built a beanstalk today, you would know the difference? Why do you believe in one fairy tale and not the other? Just because adults told you it was true and they scared you into believing it, at pain of death, at pain of burning in Hell

burt
10-24-2006, 05:41 PM

HEY!!! I vote!

Adept Havelock
10-24-2006, 05:49 PM
HEY!!! I vote!

ROFL ROFL

For the record, I haven't missed an election since I was 18.

As for Jenna, she'd be hotter without the flotation aids.

Bwillie- I'm not a "believer", but I think you are off the mark. In my experience, it's hope that leads most people to religion...not fear.

Braincase
10-24-2006, 06:22 PM
I think alot of people are not completely informed about available sources of stem cells.

Mecca
10-24-2006, 07:18 PM
I think alot of people are not completely informed about available sources of stem cells.

That is probably true but here's what I think. They bring up oh if you sell your eggs there's these risks. Every single medical procedure has risks if some woman wants to take those risks to sell some eggs for research that is her business.

I just don't like this idea that they want religion and things like that to play into this. I think we need to advance medical science as much as possible. If something dreadfully awful happens to me I think medical science has a better shot of doing something for me than preacher man and his followers.

BigRock
10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
This has nothing to do with stem cells, but I bet the wife from Everybody Loves Raymond is a tiger in the sack. If she told me how to vote, I'd listen.

WilliamTheIrish
10-24-2006, 07:28 PM

Absolutely true.

Coach
10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Hmmm... so does this mean he's voting for McCaskill or Talent?

JohnnyV13
10-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Yeah, Sweeney is just repeating the Catholic Church's doctrine on stem cells.

All stem cells DO NOT come from aborted fetuses. QUite a few stem cell lines come from the umbilical cord of mothers.

Even so, the Catholic church does not believe in a lot of genetic manipulation, especially with respect to human life.

For example...if birth control is wrong and so is masturbation, then can you see them condoning cloning or other genetic engineering technique?

From what I understand, gene therapy is ok, as long as it does not impact on any aspect of conception.

The idea is basically..."its against god's will".

The same tired argument christians have been using against things like (believe it of nor) innoculation against diseases. Many preachers and religous figures preached the evil of innoculation against disease because it thwarted god's will by stopping the scourges he inflicted upon them. I'm not making this up. It happened in the 17th and 18th Centuries.

The quickest way to identify a bad piece of theology is if you can't support it by harm suffered by some party on earth. If you break down the reasoning and it comes down to: its god's will or it harms god, then you are 99% likely to have a bad piece of theology.

burt
10-24-2006, 08:30 PM
then you are 99% likely to have a bad piece of theology.

You just need to cook it longer......

JBucc
10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Whoa. That was convincing. I'm going to write the Sweenster in on my presidential ballot.

JBucc
10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
That is how you spell presidential right?

Hammock Parties
10-24-2006, 10:19 PM
I dont get why all you religious people are against stem cell research. Personally it isnt a life, so why not save peoples lives?

skye22f
10-24-2006, 11:34 PM
The same tired argument christians have been using against things like (believe it of nor) innoculation against diseases. Many preachers and religous figures preached the evil of innoculation against disease because it thwarted god's will by stopping the scourges he inflicted upon them. I'm not making this up. It happened in the 17th and 18th Centuries.

They're still doing this! See their reaction to the HPV vaccine that would prevent like 95% of cervical cancer cases.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/10/31/MNG2LFGJFT1.DTL

Those beliefs are so objectively retarded that I'm not even going to pretend to respect them. What a bunch of dumbshits.

Simplex3
10-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Bwillie- I'm not a "believer", but I think you are off the mark. In my experience, it's hope that leads most people to religion...not fear.
The hope of not dying maybe. In my experience the majority of people who are very religious fall into one of two catagories:

1. Their parents introduced them at a young age and it's simply what they grew up with and are comfortable with.

2. People who became scared of something as adults, usually death.

However, once again I ask:

Why do any of you give a flying f**k what Mike Sweeny thinks about any issue other than baseball? Also, why do so many people think that "scientists" (whose credentials you have no idea about) always know what the hell they're talking about? There are idiots and crackpots in every walk of life and you can be pretty sure if the media found them it's because they weren't really busy doing anything important. So basically you're getting your "information" from a guy with an agenda (the reporter) who is interviewing someone who wasn't busy actually DOING the thing they're talking about.

Brilliant.

jidar
10-25-2006, 06:30 AM
I'd personally stomp 100 stem cells to death if it cured one head ache.

I hate PETA

Halfcan
10-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Isn't there also a tax added on the bill-which most of it is a slush fund. It is a BS Amendment and should be voted down.

Simplex3
10-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Isn't there also a tax added on the bill-which most of it is a slush fund. It is a BS Amendment and should be voted down.
Name a tax that is NOT a slush fund.

Simplex3
10-25-2006, 07:24 AM
FWIW, I think it should be voted down. Not because I don't believe stem cells could do something, but because I think only the private sector can do this well and for a reasonable amount of $$$. Every time the govt. gets involved things cost 3 times as much and take twice as long.

Bowser
10-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah, Sweeney is just repeating the Catholic Church's doctrine on stem cells.

All stem cells DO NOT come from aborted fetuses. QUite a few stem cell lines come from the umbilical cord of mothers.

Even so, the Catholic church does not believe in a lot of genetic manipulation, especially with respect to human life.

For example...if birth control is wrong and so is masturbation, then can you see them condoning cloning or other genetic engineering technique?

From what I understand, gene therapy is ok, as long as it does not impact on any aspect of conception.

The idea is basically..."its against god's will".

The quickest way to identify a bad piece of theology is if you can't support it by harm suffered by some party on earth. If you break down the reasoning and it comes down to: its god's will or it harms god, then you are 99% likely to have a bad piece of theology.

So the Catholics, by voting this down, are telling us that God does not want us to improve our health. You'd think they would want people to live longer, especially Catholics. More titheing(sp?) that way.

Bowser
10-25-2006, 10:36 AM
FWIW, I think it should be voted down. Not because I don't believe stem cells could do something, but because I think only the private sector can do this well and for a reasonable amount of $$$. Every time the govt. gets involved things cost 3 times as much and take twice as long.

I can't argue this statement. Questions, however...

1) Is there a private corporation ready to step up and take the reins on this research?

2) If it is indeed voted down, how much resistance would someone in the private sector face in pursuing stem cell research?

tiptap
10-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I can't argue this statement. Questions, however...

1) Is there a private corporation ready to step up and take the reins on this research?

2) If it is indeed voted down, how much resistance would someone in the private sector face in pursuing stem cell research?

There is no provision for public funds (ie a tax) to go toward support of such research. That would be what was on the ballot IN CALIFORNIA and is supported in some other states. I would be in favor of such a tax but this admendment does not concern itself with funding.

It does protect the start of new lines of embryonic research and since the Bush Government does notsupport new lines IT WOULD HAVE TO BE PRIVATE INVESTMENT at this time to get new lines of embryonic stem cells.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2006petitions/ppStemCell.asp

Stewie
10-25-2006, 11:56 AM

Private industry was in the stem cell business. That's where it started (about 1980). The problem is that the work they did for 20-odd years wasn't bearing any fruit and most, if not all, got out of the biz. They suspected it would be years and years and billions of dollars invested before anything would develop (if ever at all). That's why they're turning to the government. Just have the FEDs turn on the printing press and fund it like they do everything else.

tiptap
10-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Private industry was in the stem cell business. That's where it started (about 1980). The problem is that the work they did for 20-odd years wasn't bearing any fruit and most, if not all, got out of the biz. They suspected it would be years and years and billions of dollars invested before anything would develop (if ever at all). That's why they're turning to the government. Just have the FEDs turn on the printing press and fund it like they do everything else.

Certainly embryology has been around since the 1800s and nerve cells were grown in cultures in the 1980s but true embryonic stem cell research doesn't start until the mid 1990's. The push for profitability in money is not the same as creating a market of ideas in basic science. One can gain from the other but the idea that I want such information to be propriety is itself unsettling and counter productive to advancing understanding.

J Diddy
10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
So the Catholics, by voting this down, are telling us that God does not want us to improve our health. You'd think they would want people to live longer, especially Catholics. More titheing(sp?) that way.

Hey bowser, I was talking to god the other day and he was incredibly concerned about the decrease of money in the offering plate. He was really pissed off about the economy, mumbling bush something or another.

I think what he's gonna do is get the cigarette marketing people involved to try to recoup some of that lost revenue.

His second idea was to raise the percentage of his cut or hire some thugs to collect from those folks that don't chip in.