PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season Games going Overseas

B2chiefsfan
10-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat subject...

What are your thoughts about the NFL having regular season games being played oversea in another country???

I really don't like the idea at all. We've got enough jobs going to other countries and now they want to take away our football.....
Where does this benefit us football fans??? What city will have to endure one less home game out of the year??? Where does it benefit the players having to take an international flight during the middle of the season. Flying 8 hours round trip is one thing, but flying over 22 hours round trip is another.

I say, "Keep football here where it belongs......Here.......Home.........USA.......where it belongs........!!!!!!":cuss:

noa
10-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I also think its stupid. I understand wanting to increase the NFL's viewership, but that should not come at the expense of the fans.
Is the NFL going to refund the price of one game to the season ticket holders?
Do they expect the players and coaches to be happy about this? Its definitely a disadvantage to have to deal with jet lag during the week while your next opponent can just sit at home.
I think they should just stick to preseason games overseas.

Crashride
10-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I give it a thumbs down. They have their own sports let us americans let loose on as many sundays as we can, hell we only get football half of the year and sit around waiting for the next season the very second the superbowl is over.

PastorMikH
10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
What about the city that misses out on the revenue that a game brings to the resturaunts, hotels, etc? What about the revenue the stadium itself plus vendors would be missing out on? Does the NFL really think there are 75k+ fans that would pay the ticket prices fans in the US pay?

I think it is a really bad idea.

ChiefsCountry
10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Bad idea. Preseason games are okay, regular season not so.

morphius
10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Not only are two teams going to lose a home field game, both teams are going to lose a couple days of practice and play at a really odd time.

I'm guessing both teams would either be going on a bye or coming off a bye to play in the game to make it seem remotely fair, but damn.

Hootie
10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
stupidest idea ever

Frazod
10-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Not only NO but HELL NO.

That's what soccer's for.

Crashride
10-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Can someone describe Chris Terry

B2chiefsfan
10-25-2006, 03:49 PM
They just talked about it today on the NFL Network.

Here's an article that came out this past May...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9465189
League eyeing more games outside of U.S. http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/3489/0/0/%2a/x;44306;0-0;0;10732674;238-150/30;0/0/0;u=;~sscs=%3f)
NFL.com wire reports
http://images.commissioner.com/images/tools/send-over.gif (http://www.nfl.com/emailafriend/index?location=http://www.nfl.com%2Fnews%2Fstory%2F9465189&headline=League%20eyeing%20more%20games%20outside%20of%20U.S.)

DUESSELDORF, Germany (May 27, 2006) -- The NFL has proposed playing two regular-season games outside the United States starting in 2008, league officials said.
Mark Waller, head of NFL international development, said the proposal to play abroad was put to team owners in Denver. It came after the 49ers and Cardinals played last October before a regular-season record crowd of 103,000 in Mexico City.
The owners will discuss the issue again in October. The games would be played in Mexico, Canada, the United Kingdom and Germany, where five of the six NFL Europe teams play.
"I will say the reception we got from the owners was incredibly positive -- all the questions were on the practical issues," Waller said.
Plans were also announced to add two more teams to the six playing in NFL Europe by 2010. Last year, owners gave the league a five-year operating license -- ending years of threatening to pull the plug on the operation because of the cost.
"It now gives us a platform to grow the game internationally with a concept of clarity," Waller said.
Outgoing commissioner Paul Tagliabue said developing the game internationally may rank as one of his top five accomplishments during his 16 years in charge.
"I feel the international initiatives we made, along with the owners, may become more significant over time," Tagliabue said.
The league's effort to make an impact internationally began in 1986, when NFL teams began to play preseason games overseas.
The German cities of Hanover and Leipzig are the leading candidates to get NFL Europe expansion clubs as the league concentrates on Germany. The Amsterdam Admirals are the only current NFL Europe team located outside Germany.
NFL Europe would then be split into two four-team divisions with the schedule expanded from 10 to 12 games. The league hopes to develop local stars for NFL Europe, as well as international stars in the NFL.
"It's clearly critical to the future of the game internationally," said Jim Connelly, managing director of NFL Europe.

Bwana
10-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Hell No! Let the mud hut boys play with their soccer balls.

Easy 6
10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JBucc
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Put me in the it's stupid don't do it camp as well.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 04:23 PM
One game for each team every year I wouldn't be that opposed to. I am far more concerned about them dilluting the talent even further by adding more teams to go international which would ruin the game for me. There is already too many teams.

Dark Horse
10-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Put me in the it's stupid don't do it camp as well.

I'll go with Jbucc's comment I'm too lazy to come up with my own reply

StcChief
10-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Hoping American Football catches on so NFL can expand.

Sounds great on Marketing hype paper,
but we all know how much the rest of the worlds loves us. Ask the NFL-E fans at stadium to poney up to see it, what conflicting sports are there in the fall./winter.

KCChiefsMan
10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
it's a horrible idea. It takes away from homefield advantage (which our new commish apparently doesn't like the 12th man effect anyways) and from team revenues. I'm beginning to dislike this new commish

Thig Lyfe
10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
No no no. Maybe -- MAYBE -- you could do it in Mexico with Southwestern teams or Canada with Northern teams. They did do a regular season game between Arizona and San Fran last year. But I don't like taking away homefield from teams. Just taking away one homefield game from the Saints last year and playing them at home in New York screwed up their season.

New commish is bad. Nyah.

BWillie
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
This is freaking ridiculous. Why not make the preseason games in Europe? It's not like anybody cares about them anyway here. How can we change this? Any ideas..it seems like it is going to happen.

NJ Chief Fan
10-25-2006, 05:40 PM
ITS A CONSPIRACY, my sources tell me, and this is coming from a lady that does her food shopping at the place the guy that is in charge of making future schedules mistress, that the chiefs and donks will be playing in london england next year instead of arrowhead, by request of shanarat and its been granted by the powers that be the NFL

Cntrygal
10-25-2006, 06:13 PM
This is a STUPID idea and I HATE it!

Bugeater
10-25-2006, 06:26 PM
**** no.

J Diddy
10-25-2006, 06:50 PM
This is an awesome idea.

Some city or county could foot the tax bill for making the stadium state of the art so they can go play for the frogs. Sweet. Glad I don't live in KC or I'd be pissed.

milkman
10-25-2006, 06:51 PM
ITS A CONSPIRACY, my sources tell me, and this is coming from a lady that does her food shopping at the place the guy that is in charge of making future schedules mistress, that the chiefs and donks will be playing in london england next year instead of arrowhead, by request of shanarat and its been granted by the powers that be the NFL

And it will be such a succesful experiment, the NFL will then make the Donkeys at the Cheifs an annual overseas game. :cuss: :p

big nasty kcnut
10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
I voted yes only in preseason. Here my idea i think all the practice squad players should play oversea to give the practice squad players playing time.therefore we would have talented players if we need them.

Rain Man
10-25-2006, 07:06 PM
This infuriates me! Shipping our NFL games to overseas suppliers is just dumb! I'm going to have to watch some skinny Indian guy playing left guard instead of Brian Waters?!?!?! Some South Korean guy at quarterback instead of Trent Green or Damon Huard!?!?!?! Those people don't even know the rules! They don't play football!

And some of those countries don't even have child labor laws. I could end up watching a bunch of eight year-olds playing. If I wanted to do that, I'd walk down to the school playground! I want to watch elite athletes playing! That's why the NFL is so popular.

This is a huge mistake.

ChiefsFanInIndy
10-25-2006, 07:07 PM
This is freaking ridiculous. Why not make the preseason games in Europe? It's not like anybody cares about them anyway here. How can we change this? Any ideas..it seems like it is going to happen.

They will never take away the pre season games as the owners get to keep 100% of the gate as opposed to sharing regular season gate. That's why when two teams have a pre season game outside the country that makes them have 5 so neither team loses their 2 home pre season games.

This is not the fault of the new commissioner as it was in the works long before he came to office. They have been talking about it for years. First it was pre season games the last few years and then last year a regular season game that drew over 100k sealed it. Also in 2007 there will be a pre season game in China.

The purpose of any busniess is to expand it's customer base and increase it's profits. Often that means global expansion. The NFL is a business. Plain and simple. The have busniess analysts who feel continued growth can be obtained overseas. Any businessman will tell you that and every owner is a busniessman first and then an NFL owner.

That said I think the idea stinks. But since when did the NFL care what the regular Joe Fan thought anyway?